Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What should monitor have these days?

It is a long time since i bought a monitor last time. Even the current one was probably bad and old by the time I got it, but it sure was cheap.

Its getting too old now. I'm about to get a new computer, but I dont think this monitor can be really connected to the new computer. At any rate, whether or not that is possible, I'm thinking I should get a new monitor too. This is very small and my friend calls it "postage stamp" (correct word?).

So I keep seeing people say "144hz is a must!", but other say "no point, if you arent going to use it". I generally dont play fps games a lot so I think 144hz would be wasted?
    I'm planning on getting 24''. I dont need enormous monitor.
    i dont really need any hifi setup so color options, ect. are probably very secondary stuff.

Why I'm writing about this is, should I get a "expensive" gaming monitor with 144hz or a cheap, but 60hz-75hz non "gaming" monitor. I'd like to have monitor that is modern enough to last for next decade like this old monitor has. Is higher refresh rate something I should invest into? What exactly should I invest into, if anything.
    I'm pretty sure I'd be just happy to be able to connect my monitor to my computer and have a working picture. Seeing as I have been happy with my current shitty monitor and only reason I'm switching to new one is because this is just getting too old.... not due to how its functioning.

I'd recommend getting an AOC AGON AG322QCX or something similar atm. It's cheap, 32" 144hz and Freesync compatible.

Right now, were in a weirdly great but also shit time for monitors. IPS are good all rounders with iffy colour and black levels, TN are high speed with trash colours and viewing angles and VA have great colour and speed, but tend to suffer from ghosting/blur.

In the end, just look at some reviews and see what fits your interests most accurately. There is no singular or perfect solution.

Edit: just noticed the 24" bit, you'll get AOC, ASUS and a whole host of others with all the features in the world at that size, same still applies though.

15+ Year Old Account
    Im not a monitor aficionado. I usually check reviews before I buy and if its on sale, good reviews and meets my needs. I get it.

That being said. Size all depends on you. I think any thing under 27" is too small, but thats me.

Best brands that I have seen recommended on here are Asus, Dell, Acer and Samsung.

Here is a good article on monitors and the differences in panels if your interested.
    @Remilia would be the best person to answer a monitor question. And yeah, don't get the 32" AOC unless you need real estate for productivity and even then I would go with a more reliable manufacturer.

But is that 144hz neccessary, if I really dont play fps games?

Also I dont intend to upgrade computer often, will I be able to get even close to high enough fps in games in lets say 3-4 years from now? While looking at potential monitors, that 144hz increases price a bit and I'm not sure if I really need it. What I'm wondering is the future. Will high refresh rate basically in all monitors? Ect. If I do buy one with high refresh rate, it will at the moment be just investment for future. No actual use.

Also forgot to mention in the first post that I use nvidia gpu. Freesync wont work with those, right? No, I will not buy radeon. Monitors with gsycn are really expensive and I will not spend such money on them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    Also forgot to mention in the first post that I use nvidia gpu. Freesync wont work with those, right? No, I will not buy radeon. Monitors with gsycn are really expensive and I will not spend such money on them.
    What's your budget?
    Remember: Words are not violence.
    Make your own groups!!!

Low. At maximum 300€. I would prefer to be around 250€. Highest I have put to my potential buy list is 280€. So the closer to 300€ the more justified it will have to be.

Atm I have been planning to buy a cheap 75hz monitor. I havent been convinced of 144hz. I dont feel I have need for it and was hoping someone to shed some light on that.

10+ Year Old Account
    But is that 144hz neccessary, if I really dont play fps games?
    It wouldn’t hurt, but it’s not critical. You can see a pretty significant difference between 60 FPS and say 100 FPS, but here are some major diminishing returns above 100 FPS in ‘smoothness’.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Low. At maximum 300€. I would prefer to be around 250€. Highest I have put to my potential buy list is 280€. So the closer to 300€ the more justified it will have to be.

Atm I have been planning to buy a cheap 75hz monitor. I havent been convinced of 144hz. I dont feel I have need for it and was hoping someone to shed some light on that.
    What do you think about the LG Electronics 24MP59G-P for 130-140€ ?
    24 inch, 75hz, FullHD and a IPS Panel.

15+ Year Old Account
    @OP, no if you arent playing FPS games a 144Hz monitor would be an added expense.

Some will tell you to buy one no matter what, but for web browsing, email, browser games, RTS and the like, you wont even notice it.

Dont worry about Freesync and Gsync, if Freesync is on the monitor, it is ok, it wont hinder performance if you use a nVidia card, some manufacturers include it. However not needed unless you go over 60fps in games anyway and your video card will sustain high fps numbers. It does help with screen tearing in fast paced games however in WoW, vsync works fine as the input-lag on that engine is marginal at 1080p.

What video card do you have? I know its a nVidia card, but what model?

From what it sounds like, you just want a decent moitor, great colors that will get you by for a while.

Here ya go! and within your budget.

It has Freesync, but it doesnt matter in your case, and the speakers can be taken off the mount simply by puilling the tray out of the base and unplugging from the back.
    Last edited by moremana; 2018-07-21 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Dell Monitor Link

Well... I suppose its ok monitor, but I already had few options planned. The question was just, which one of them. One with 144hz, but more expensive? Lower refresh rate, but fine otherwise and cheaper?

Basically atm narrowed to these two:
    Asus VG248QE 24" Full HD - The more expensive one, but has 144hz refresh rate.
    Asus VG245H 24" Full HD - The less expensive one. Only has 75hz refresh rate, but is 80€ cheaper. I would not want to throw 80€ to a feature I wont use, which is why I'm asking here what things monitor should have.

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    @OP, no if you arent playing FPS games a 144Hz monitor would be an added expense.

Some will tell you to buy one no matter what, but for web browsing, email, browser games, RTS and the like, you wont even notice it.

Dont worry about Freesync and Gsync, not needed unless you go over 60fps in games anyway and your video card will sustain high fps numbers. It does help with screen tearing in fast paced games however in WoW, vsync works fine as the input-lag on that engine is marginal at 1080p.

This will be a new monitor for new computer, since this likely cant even connect to the new one. Even to this old PC this current monitor needs a piece in between (dunno about correct term).

New computer would have Geforce GTX 1070 Ti. And yeah... I'm swaying towards the non 144hz. No one has yet provided me with a reason to throw money at that feature.
    Last edited by Morae; 2018-07-21 at 01:07 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well... I suppose its ok monitor, but I already had few options planned. The question was just, which one of them. One with 144hz, but more expensive? Lower refresh rate, but fine otherwise and cheaper?

Basically atm narrowed to these two:
    Asus VG248QE 24" Full HD - The more expensive one, but has 144hz refresh rate.
    Asus VG245H 24" Full HD - The less expensive one. Only has 75hz refresh rate, but is 80€ cheaper. I would not want to throw 80€ to a feature I wont use, which is why I'm asking here what things monitor should have.

This will be a new monitor for new computer, since this likely cant even connect to the new one. Even to this old PC this current monitor needs a piece in between (dunno about correct term).

New computer would have Geforce GTX 1070 Ti. And yeah... I'm swaying towards the non 144hz. No one has yet provided me with a reason to throw money at that feature.
    What games do you play? Those are both decent monitors. 1070Ti is wasted if your not playing games because it will indeed run 144Hz no problem. I dont understand that purchase if your going to use a 24" 60Hz monitor and not play any demanding games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, you'll have to experience higher refresh+frame rates to decide if it's worth it to you. I honestly stop noticing an appreciable difference past 100hz/fps, and it's not night and day like going from 30 to 60 for me.

As far as gsync goes, it was worth not seeing dropped frames, but it's definitely an expensive addition.
    Remember: Words are not violence.
    Make your own groups!!!

What games do you play? Those are both decent monitors. 1070Ti is wasted if your not playing games because it will indeed run 144Hz no problem. I dont understand that purchase if your going to use a 24" 60Hz monitor and not play any demanding games.
    Perhaps now, but I expect my computer to last 4-6 years. It will not be enough after a few years to run some new games at very high settings.

15+ Year Old Account
    Perhaps now, but I expect my computer to last 4-6 years. It will not be enough after a few years to run some new games at very high settings.
    Your purchase is going to be based on Games then yes? I mean at first you said games weren't important, then here you say you future proofed for games.

I wouldn't get anything 24" if your future proofing for ~10 years. Its just too small. It may be better than what you have now but with your budget I wouldn't settle.

Well, I dont think I said "games were not important", but the part I think you refer to should mean more like "fps games arent that important".

And why big monitor? I need a PC monitor. Not a TV.

15+ Year Old Account
    27" isnt big, at least to me.

If 24" is large enough for you, then by all means get one, my opinion doesnt matter, only yours. You have to use it not me.

And yes, those Asus monitors are decent, but.....I might lean towards the 144Hz since you own a 1070Ti, but at the cost...meh, its up to you. The 75Hz is a good choice as well as you could use adaptive sync/fast sync with it in the nvidia control panel.
    Last edited by moremana; 2018-07-21 at 03:36 PM.

Deleted

Dont worry about Freesync and Gsync, if Freesync is on the monitor, it is ok, it wont hinder performance if you use a nVidia card, some manufacturers include it. However not needed unless you go over 60fps in games anyway and your video card will sustain high fps numbers. It does help with screen tearing in fast paced games however in WoW, vsync works fine as the input-lag on that engine is marginal at 1080p.

From what it sounds like, you just want a decent moitor, great colors that will get you by for a while.

Here ya go! and within your budget.

It has Freesync, but it doesnt matter in your case, and the speakers can be taken off the mount simply by puilling the tray out of the base and unplugging from the back.
    I notice gsync/165hz on my mouse cursor whole browsing, lol.

Also texts appears more smoothly when typing fast

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dkwhyevernot View Post
    I notice gsync/165hz on my mouse cursor whole browsing, lol.

Also texts appears more smoothly when typing fast

Ok, and that has to do with?

He doesnt want to spend the money for Gsync, you did read the whole thread yes?

I just gotta say, I bought the MSI MAG27CQ during the Prime Day and playing in 2k-144Hz-27" has changed my life
    Last edited by ReVnX; 2018-07-21 at 09:24 PM.

id say a 2560x1440 display running at least 75+hz ideally 144hz just anything above 60 is quite the difference