Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Deezlar View Post
    Of course, that is the rational response.
    In this case, it is absolutely clear (at least to me) that the intent was a veiled racist reference.

We've just established that its a sliding scale rather than a black and white (pardon the punnery) situation, so a company that is reaching all cross sections of society in most countries across the globe needs to factor that in to decisions.

People were talking about the censorship of an in game pet called a "Black Maine Coon"..
    I'm lucky enough to share my home with a beautiful Maine Coon boy, but the name is an americanism that doesn't translate globally.
    I've been talking about him in public and got some sideways looks as a white guy says the word "coon"... (Its an old school slur to black people originating in the UK), so even without meaning to in the most innocent way possible, it is possible to rile people.

Large companies are damned if they do, damned if they don't, so they hedge by being cautious.
    Look at Gunn and Disney... If the shit I was saying on the internet 10 years ago became public I would be unemployable.
    again, IM not blaming blizzard for anything here, it's obvious blizzard HAS to remove these kinds of things.

I'M blaming the people overreacting, because they're the reason blizzard has to do anything in the first place.

altough the gunn thing is a whole nother issue.

because it's literally a company that's world famous of being led by an anti-semite and has more than its fair share if insanely offensive things used in their films. but hey, it's their loss, they got rid of their best director, for no good reason.

gunn will find work easily enough, he's done plenty of films before disney picked him up and will continue to do after.
    Last edited by shaunika123; 2018-07-22 at 12:44 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    it was a cat with black stripes and looked similar to the standard breed of cat 'maine coon'. that isn't much to go on... it could have been that they just tossed it in

nvm that the word 'coon' had other meanings besides a word used for black people.
    There is no state of Maine, and as far as I can remember, there are no raccoons in Azeroth either. So both parts of the name Maine Coon are kind of non-existent so it makes little sense calling them that.
    I may pay my subscription every month, but I don't lose sight of the fact that the other 4/9/24/39 people I'm grouped with pay too.

10+ Year Old Account
    The point is whether it was intended to be sly racism or not it can very easily be taken that way. So Blizzard did the right thing although you should have gotten the guild name change for free.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by shaunika123 View Post
    and you know what im talking about the jokes "In soviet russia waldo finds you"

let's say I made a guildname of "In soviet russia bosses raid you"

it implies the horrible massacre of ~20 million russian people under the communist regime
    and yet noone would bat an eyelash.
    Actually... "In soviet russia bosses raid you" does sound a little bit offensive. It would imply that the Russian people is spineless and make you remember the ugly parts of history. Thus I don't find it funny, but wouldn't lose my shit over it nor report it.

But if you were making fun of more sensitive subjects like our participation in WW2, our veterans, victims of terrorist attacks/accidents etc, than you would make more than a few people angry.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    Classic savior. A person who has no personal investment or connection to something will tell me I can't joke about something that happened to my own people.
    Interesting assumptions about where I'm from or what my heritage is.
    I may pay my subscription every month, but I don't lose sight of the fact that the other 4/9/24/39 people I'm grouped with pay too.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    The guild of one of my toons was called "Naga Slave Pens" for years up until today. Apparently, someone complained to Blizzard and so Blizzard changed the name to something random and then charged the Guild Master to change it. The guild was named after an area in Outland called "The Slave Pens" that features a lot of, you guessed it, Naga.

I'm still scratching my head.
    Blizzard's naming policy can be a bit.. Strange at times. I had to force rename two characters long ago, one named Sau (Sheep in Norwegian), dunno why. Also, I, as many did back in Vanilla, had a character with the Private title named Parts, that didn't help get on their good side.
    Ryzen 3600X | MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wi-fi | 16GB G.Skill FlareX 3200MHz | Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT Pulse | EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G3 Gold | NZXT Kraken X62 | 2TB Samsung 860 EVO | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO | 500GB Samsung 970 NVMe M.2 | 3x 27" HP Omen 165Hz 1Ms Latency

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverware View Post
    I like the part of your posts where you say that everyone who doesn't comply with your worldview is "ignorant or racist" as if anyone should give a shit about either shame tactic.
    I like the part where your emotional response answers my question.

Blizzard is racist for making the dungeon in the first place. They should be ashamed.

I like the part of your posts where you say that everyone who doesn't comply with your worldview is "ignorant or racist" as if anyone should give a shit about either shame tactic.
    He's right, though? You are definitionally ignorant if you don't understand the reference, and racist if you do understand it and don't care. There is no option C.

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
    I had a human mage named wizardman, it got reported and a forced name change cause I guess it is a title in the kkk

Renamed him wizardguy.....never was the same and stopped playing that mage

Am I being trolled
    British police arrested 3,395 people for offensive comments online in just the last year
    Your antifa are protected from all consequence when they attack people on the streets
    Don't even try this shit on me
    Look at my previous statement about being accountable for what you say. Your freedoms aren't freedoms, but keep believing it..

It is directly sending the message that you can't use these words, which have done no physical harm to anyone. This isn't complicated.
    Blizz as a company have the right to restrict YOUR rights. Suck it up

Yes.
    Then you sir, are a fucking idiot.

Hyperbole to a foggy islander, maybe. Deadly serious to anyone with even the slightest bit of respect for the nation as it was founded, and what the founders were trying to escape from (hint: you)
    Learn your history. You ran away from us to go and religiously persecute.
    Your "freedoms" are basically a lie that you all slurp down like greedy babies.

Quote Originally Posted by Trollokdamus View Post
    Actually... "In soviet russia bosses raid you" does sound a little bit offensive. It would imply that the Russian people is spineless and make you remember the ugly parts of history. Thus I don't find it funny, but wouldn't lose my shit over it nor report it.

But if you were making fun of more sensitive subjects like our participation in WW2, our veterans, victims of terrorist attacks/accidents etc, than you would make more than a few people angry.
    see how it's not that simple? so let jokes just be jokes.

Well there is no state of Maine in Azeroth. It would be like them putting in a Norwegian Forest Cat.
    Well there is no Szechuan either? (It's a place in China.)
    http://www.wowhead.com/npc=63585/szechuan-chicken

I don't care

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't care
    Seems you do, because you keep responding.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Marrilaife View Post
    Well there is no Szechuan either? (It's a place in China.)
    http://www.wowhead.com/npc=63585/szechuan-chicken
    I never said Blizzard was good at internal consistency, just look at the levelling process.

Deleted
    It's literally the first time I've ever heard the word 'naga' appropriated as a racial slur. Is this an American thing? Or am I just playing on a nice server?

Quote Originally Posted by Deezlar View Post
    Look at my previous statement about being accountable for what you say. Your freedoms aren't freedoms, but keep believing it..
    Okay toady.

Blizz as a company have the right to restrict YOUR rights. Suck it up
    Pretty sure I've stated multiple times my unhappiness with the current state of the nation.

Then you sir, are a fucking idiot.
    YOU GOT A LOICENSE FOR THAT COMEBACK?

Learn your history. You ran away from us to go and religiously persecute.
    wait is this really what you people are taught

Quote Originally Posted by VincentX View Post
    It's literally the first time I've ever heard the word 'naga' appropriated as a racial slur. Is this an American thing? Or am I just playing on a nice server?
    nah it's a thing in EU too

we just dont give a fuck

it's america's job to get offended over everything afterall not ours.

Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    I like how over the course of 8 pages the argument went from ignorance of what "naga" means, to it was just a joke, to of course it's racist, that is the joke, to now simply whining about being called a racist.
    you imply there's a difference?

and pretty sure only OP was playing the ignorant.

also I love how you literally just gobbled every poster here and piled them into a single entity that does the exact same things every time.

most posters have been pretty consistent here i'd say, they just disagree with each other, which is why the argument is sort of evolving.

plus I'M pretty sure most of us couldnt care less over being called racists in an online forum. I cant speak for others, but I really couldnt care less if people think I'm a racist, it's their right to think whatever they want. I can decide for myself whether I am a racist or not.
    Last edited by shaunika123; 2018-07-22 at 12:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Delekii View Post
    He's right, though? You are definitionally ignorant if you don't understand the reference, and racist if you do understand it and don't care. There is no option C.
    And I'm saying that nobody should care. "Ignorant" here means someone who rejects the establishment religion. "Racist" means heretic.

It's a meaningless shame tactic to try and get people to second guess themselves, as if having the right opinions should matter more than free thought. It doesn't.