Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    ?? Trump will personally welcome you with open arms

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really. Living here for over a decade now, the only time people ever seem to care where I come from is when they're mad at me about something else entirely and incorporate it into their tirade. Most really don't care. Have to keep in mind that most Americans are pretty apolitical and mostly just want to move about their own lives.

(that and most Americans only know the Moscow cinema accent, so if you aren't from that area most Americans don't know what to make of it other than vaguely slavic)

If you're female, you might get some grief at the border.

Surprisingly, I've had more than one Russian female friend complain that they were mildly interrogated at the border to ascertain that they are not "mail-order brides".

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Not really. Living here for over a decade now, the only time people ever seem to care where I come from is when they're mad at me about something else entirely and incorporate it into their tirade. Most really don't care. Have to keep in mind that most Americans are pretty apolitical and mostly just want to move about their own lives.

(that and most Americans only know the Moscow cinema accent, so if you aren't from that area most Americans don't know what to make of it other than vaguely slavic)
    I mostly blame Russians for their superhuman tolerance to alcohol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    It's because we aren't ninnies who waste time with mixed drink nonsense. The first time I had a shot of straight, smooth vodka was when I was 8.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    If you're white, nobody will know you're Russian unless you have a really thick accent.

And even then, nobody will care. Most of us hate the government of Russia, not the citizens.
    Unless you're a woman or LGBTQ...

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    First of all, I hope the OP is still following the thread because this is something that is pretty important imo. That is that if you haven't traveled the world, it's easy to have misconceptions based on every movie/tv shot/news article we've read. And very often that ends up painting a very twisted picture of what a place is really like. I've found people all around the world to generally be good, and for the most part we all just want the same things...a safe good home, a good partner, a good job, maybe kids, strong health, etc. It's not nearly the antagonistic picture you get from watching the news. So don't let the fringe people or the media convince you otherwise.

That said, when you've got a country of hundreds of millions of people, it's been proven many times that we in the US have our share of massive idiots. So no one can 100% guarantee that no one will give you a hard time. But that can be said for Americans here travelling domestically lol. I'd just say that the crime and violence is not anywhere remotely near what you might get the impression of from tv, and the vast majority of people would be extremely friendly and interested to talk to a Russian to hear what is really like on the ground there.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    They definitely have a self destructive gene going on, at least when it comes to their preference. Most other Europeans have high tolerance also but stick to beer and wine and happily live way past 55.

10+ Year Old Account
    Assuming this is serious and even it's not let's amuse it with a serious answer.

People in general, when facing stranger rarely to never confront them about their politics. People also don't dislike Russia, plenty of Russians everywhere, however some political figureheads especially those who have no political opponent anymore due to several very undemocratic reasons need you to believe everyone not just in your case russian and even some russians are depicted as "not real russians" for that reason are seen as the enemy.

So when you are stuck in such a nation and don't have that much contact to the outside world you are led to believe everyone is your enemy, since you need to constantly fear them and feel that you are at "war" since your political class in power needs it to be true even if it's not.

Now if you go anywhere in the western world and you don't air your undying and never ending love for Putin and his regime, become offensive yourself about it, you can easily talk even about politics it is just a matter of how you approach people yourself. So i wouldn't worry at all. Americans are also generally considered to be hospitable people, especially if you're white.

- - - Updated - - -

It's because we aren't ninnies who waste time with mixed drink nonsense. The first time I had a shot of straight, smooth vodka was when I was 8.
    I say it's because in general you just don't drink, you also eat enough during and before.

Quote Originally Posted by Darya View Post
    Looking at how people are reacting about Russians, would people be discriminatory, hateful or otherwise show antagonism towards Russian people?
    If you are not brown or black, you will have no problems. The only one attacking visitors, immigrants and refugees are MAGA heads and once they see White its Alright!

So unless you are part of the very small minority of Russians you are a-ok

Russians are predominantly white so no one cares.

Ahh, yes... the cold, tall glass with dinner.

Everything else is just a chaser.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eveningforest View Post
    They definitely have a self destructive gene going on, at least when it comes to their preference. Most other Europeans have high tolerance also but stick to beer and wine and happily live way past 55.
    I've partied with my share of Russians, and not only do they love to drink, they are very competitive with Americans about their drinking. I learned a long time ago that I cannot keep up. They win.

Looking at how people are reacting about Russians, would people be discriminatory, hateful or otherwise show antagonism towards Russian people?
    I think you would be just fine. We have quite a few Russian-Americans here in the US. Many people here just do not like President Putin.

10+ Year Old Account
    About the really only hateful area in the US is the south and the bible belt, stick to the coasts and you should be perfectly fine. That said, in general you should be prefectly fine. While most people might hate Russia, I don't know anyone or have seen anything that would indicate people are hating on individual Russians. Here in Portland we have a large group of Russian/Slav/Former Soviet Bloc people and there hasn't been anything in the news about any hate crimes or anything against them lately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

You would be fine. No one that would be a dick would be able to tell you are Russian. This is America, we generally are only taught one language growing up so even if you spoke some Russian no one would know it is Russian.

Probably not. The only people that would stop you would be in California or Florida and they'd most likely be mentally ill.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironjaws-Mike View Post
    Consider Trump and all, did I think USA was part of Russia at this point, so you should be okay.
    I know all those words, but I have no fucking clue what you are trying to say...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post
    Probably not. The only people that would stop you would be in California or Florida and they'd most likely be mentally ill.
    You mean Liberals?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Algy View Post
    You would be fine. No one that would be a dick would be able to tell you are Russian. This is America, we generally are only taught one language growing up so even if you spoke some Russian no one would know it is Russian.
    Actually, you can learn more languages if you like. Besides, if they were to teach another language, it would most likely be Mexican, so I have no fucking clue what your point is. Or, are you insinuating that learning any other language would automatically enable you to recognize all others correctly?

Nah. My SO works with a few, zero issues at work or out in public.

Why was the title asking about safety of a Russian traveling to the USA particularly about the USA government you. Then you switch to discrimination by US citizens. Weird, innit? Seriously no one cares. You've got it confused, too. The USA executive branch (President Trump) is against the 12 people that were Russian and security personnel, and holding Putin accountable stated by Trump. You're fine. You will have more problems with TSA and customs than you will with the American people.

As long as you aren't the 1 black Muslim Russian you will be okay.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."