10+ Year Old Account

Next 'Mage Tower' speculations and wishlist

So in the last Q and A Ion confirmed that we will see a 'mage tower' again in future. To define 'mage tower' I mean a tough solo challenge that will provide a reward at the end of it.

He very definitive without giving a timeframe, but I would hazard a guess that it is this expansion and that it will launch in 8.2 for the same reason the previous system launched in 7.2, to allow people two raid tiers worth of content and over one year of time to tackle it by themselves.

The reward will almost certainly be another cosmetic transmog, and almost certainly a weapon for each spec.

So given that, I would like to see the following.

Fire: A staff. Arcane and Frost got beautiful staffs in Legion (particularly frost), and it's fire's turn to get something really, really nifty in the 2h department.

Frost: A one handed sword or dagger plus offhand. I would like something as elegant for Frost here as it's legion staff was, a blade seemingly carved of ice if I had my way.

Arcane: A cool wand and offhand. A wand skin would be thematically appropriate for arcane, and it would be different from the other two.

Those are my thoughts.

Yours?

5+ Year Old Account
    I'd like some kinda Fire Mage staff in the future that is specific to fire.

I would also like to see more class specific mounts from a challenge or something similar.

Or not even class but -spec specific- armour sets would be awesome.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverie View Post
    there will not be another 'Mage Tower'
    And your evidence for such a statement considering the game director directly said that there would be?

Deleted
    weapons? there is more room for class specific armorsets now that tiersets are gone...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcene View Post
    I'd like some kinda Fire Mage staff in the future that is specific to fire.

I would also like to see more class specific mounts from a challenge or something similar.

Or not even class but -spec specific- armour sets would be awesome.
    I thought about armor sets as a possibility...and mounts...but there are problems

If you do a class specific mount, then people will just need to complete one challenge out of the three (on average) available to their class. You could offer unique shades for each spec, but once you have the mount the first time it would be underwhelming.

Class armor sets would have the same issue, once you got it the first time, getting tint variants by doing the other specs might not be appealing.

If you did an armor set for each spec however, you are asking the art team to create 36 armor sets for the game of a high quality. That is three full raid tiers worth of armor sets. I can't see it happening.

Weapons on the other hand are easy to make spec unique and are not nearly as time intensive as building a set of armor is.

Doubtful it would be weapon transmog as a reward again. I would like a spec or race specific title.

I would love alternate spell animations/effects as a reward from a future challenge. An example could be a Frostfire skin for all your spells as frost/fire mage

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverie View Post
    no. my evidence for such a statement is cuz i said so
    Which means what you say mean jack shit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey111 View Post
    I would love alternate spell animations/effects as a reward from a future challenge. An example could be a Frostfire skin for all your spells as frost/fire mage
    Aw man, that'd be sweet as hell.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluey111 View Post
    That's a pretty sweet idea actually.

Remember to keep it civil guys. I am watching.

15+ Year Old Account
    The idea I came up with is basically this, loosely inspired by the Argent Tournament, but reworked to reflect the war:

14 bosses, each a war hero who has been named Champion of the Horde or Alliance, each representing one of the 13 base races, organized into 7 different challenges. Each boss shares mechanics with their counterpart from the opposing faction, but with different flavor to their abilities.

The challenges would be class agnostic, but have some unique mechanics depending on whether you are a tank, healer, ranged dps, or melee dps. The bosses may also utilize the new Advanced AI. The fights would mainly be about mechanical skill.

You would be able to challenge the first six Champions in any order, with the Challenges being Normal difficulty. The seventh Champion will be your Rival, will always be determined by your race (worgen vs undead, for example), and will be flagged as a Heroic difficulty Challenge.

The first time you defeat each you will be awarded an Emblem of Justice, which you can exchange at a vendor in your racial capital for one of seven pieces of a set of Heritage Armor. Upon defeating your Rival you will also earn a Heritage Title unique to your race. Allied Races instead earn an alternate tint for their Heritage Armor.

After completing the first seven Challenges you will unlock the ability to challenge the Champions of your own faction to sparring matches, which will be Heroic difficulty versions of the previous seven.

Completing each of these awards an Emblem of Valor, which can be exchanged for newly unlocked Heritage Armor tints and other Heritage-themed items such as toys, pets, tabards, and cloaks. Additionally, completing all seven will award you with a flying mount exclusive to your Faction and the Champion of the Horde/Alliance title.

At this point you are given the option to face your Rival one last time in a final showdown at Mythic difficulty. Defeating them will award you a two Emblems of Valor, as well as a Heritage Weapon Cache, granting you the appearances of a variety of weapons themed to your race.

After defeating your Rival, you will unlock a repeatable weekly quest, with a different Champion appearing at a Warfront every week. This Challenge can be attempted in either Heroic or Mythic difficulties, with Heroic awarding one Emblem of Valor and Mythic awarding two. These can be used to complete your collection of Heritage Armor tints and other cosmetic items, or exchanged for a Writ of Challenge, allowing you to select which opponent you will face during the next week.

The challenges and rewards will remain available after the expansion, completing all seven challenges on Mythic Difficulty while the content is current will award a Cutting Edge achievement and title: Grand Champion.
    Last edited by Kathranis; 2018-07-22 at 08:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjason View Post
    weapons? there is more room for class specific armorsets now that tiersets are gone...
    Yeah, I would much rather see class specific armor sets since they removed that part of class fantasy from the tier gear.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Obelisk Kai View Post
    I thought about armor sets as a possibility...and mounts...but there are problems

Class armor sets would have the same issue, once you got it the first time, getting tint variants by doing the other specs might not be appealing.

If you did an armor set for each spec however, you are asking the art team to create 36 armor sets for the game of a high quality. That is three full raid tiers worth of armor sets. I can't see it happening.

Weapons on the other hand are easy to make spec unique and are not nearly as time intensive as building a set of armor is.
    More weapons, armour, as long as it's cool I'll take it!

Deleted
    I'd rather not see weapons because it's already been done. But mounts, armour sets and maybe alternative spell effects (eg. green fire) would be pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by The Archmage View Post
    Remember to keep it civil guys. I am watching.

"Sorry guys- it's hotkeyed onto my mouse..."

Quote Originally Posted by quikbunny View Post
    I'd rather not see weapons because it's already been done. But mounts, armour sets and maybe alternative spell effects (eg. green fire) would be pretty cool.

That is the right answer.

I want town portals to look like spectacular vortexes of power, something that looks like it was put into some top end game engine.

Forget green fire, that is the fire of fel.

BLUE FIRE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

azula, and more importantly, Endeavor!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF7wiDWUIjE

Change arcane blast to arcane beam blast, I want a spell effect that looks like the blast from Khadgars staff against that demon in his karazan video.

As for frost, make comet storm more spectacular, make glacial spike look better, and or allow the spells to be a different color. How about some kind of void/frost hybrid looking spells?

I want to fire off ice lances of ice and void shards that look like those void joints on the void elves mounts.
    I am impelled, not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...