Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Levelling in Draenor is complete cancer. Mobs are 1 shotting all over the place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Partner and I have opted to just not queue for dungeons until they've tuned the scaling properly. Pulling one trash pack before Bael'gar in Blackrock Depths makes my partner go OOM so quickly as a Hpally just trying to keep me up and I'm tanking with rotating my defensives so I constantly have some mitigation 90% of the time as a Prot Pally and even then I cut it close to dying. We are both in heirlooms mind you.

The experience isn't too bad, not so different from before 8.0 but the only problem is mobs are hitting way harder than they should and it's hard to heal through said damage as it's a bit on the excessive side.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    Heritage armor goes hand in hand with the new scaling.

On one side you have people spending upwards of 60+ hours to level a new character from scratch. On the other you have people paying for character boosts.

Heritage armor is an incentive to sink time with the leveling process, boosting MAUs. Character boosts dispense with MAUs and go directly to profit.

Blizzard wins either way.

But if Blizzard makes it easier/faster to level, players are less likely to buy boosts, and will generate less MAUs from leveling. There's virtually no incentive for them to do that, from a business point of view.
    That doesn't make that much sense from a business point of view. The better option would be just have the allied races reach max level in order to unlock heritage armour regardless if it was done through RAF or store boosts AND nerf levelling. That way those that are willing will pay the boosts and those that don't will increase MAUs. By making it so that people have to level their allied races the proper way Blizzard is missing on players that would pay for the boost in order to get their heritage armor quickly and not go through the chore that is levelling. Pay to skip.

I've been leveling my mage, and with the update it feels overall the same. WoD was decently difficult, but I was only in WoD for Shadowmoon and a couple quests in Gorgrond. Left for legion as soon as I hit 98, and my god Legion questing is so much more easier. Mobs die so quickly in comparison to WoD. I'll probably be leveling a lightforged as soon as my void elf is done, but it doesn't seem too terrible to me yet. I'd say most of leveling experience is a mind over matter. If you're dreading it, and just don't want to level it won't matter how much blizzard changes it, its going to be terrible for some people.

If you are struggling leveling through Draenor, you can do the chest method. Just grab the XP pot from your garrison as soon as you are able and just traverse each zone grabbing chests and a few of the bonus objectives.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tydan View Post
    Levelling in Draenor is complete cancer. Mobs are 1 shotting all over the place.
    yep, this, i go to a mob and i die like clown......... i mean come on does blizz even test this before releasing patches??

I just started leveling a alt...planing to change to a void elf since it makes my favorite mog look better and I really question what blizzard was thinking with mages. No ignite and no procs for instant casts till past level 20....

Just why? It feels awful your rotation for 20 level is stand still and hit 2.
    Last edited by Nutrition; 2018-07-22 at 05:17 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutrition View Post
    I just started leveling a alt...planing to change to a void elf since it makes my favorite mog look better and I really question what blizzard was thinking with mages. No ignite and no procs for instant carts till past level 20....

Just why? It feels awful your rotation for 20 level is stand still and hit 2.
    Yeah, I'm thoroughly enjoying leveling a lightforged paladin at the moment, but it was a bit annoying when I did a rando dungeon for a change and the tank is calling for a heal to be interupted and mine doesn't unlock until level thirty fucking five.

You'd think interupts would be the kinda thing they'd want in fresh players hands as soon as possible so they can start playing around with it and seeing what it's for, but apparently not.

Really enjoying the balance they've hit though, at least pre-WOD - haven't hit that content to see how busted it is, but with treasures still giving xp you can just opt out of leveling there if you want. Just wish they weren't so skimpy on class abilities.

I think they are trying to get people used to slower leveling, making it a bit less faster each time, to soften for vanilla shock at classic servers. (if they ever do it properly)

Oh how much they would whine if pre 7.3.5 leveled player would start vanilla.

And service-moolah is the future.
    Working customer support really has made me support genocides.

i had make a lightforged a nightborn and a void elfe i tryed only quest. dongeon 1 time for the quest inside and questing.. and only dongeon. it was faster with only quest but the difference was quite irrelevent
    Last edited by Niaraa; 2018-07-22 at 05:51 PM.

Man, I am glad I finished my 4 allied race alts before 8.0 hit. Finished my last one, Highmountain Tauren, two days before pre-patch.

Quote Originally Posted by NatePsy View Post
    Partner and I have opted to just not queue for dungeons until they've tuned the scaling properly. Pulling one trash pack before Bael'gar in Blackrock Depths makes my partner go OOM so quickly as a Hpally just trying to keep me up and I'm tanking with rotating my defensives so I constantly have some mitigation 90% of the time as a Prot Pally and even then I cut it close to dying. We are both in heirlooms mind you.

The experience isn't too bad, not so different from before 8.0 but the only problem is mobs are hitting way harder than they should and it's hard to heal through said damage as it's a bit on the excessive side.
    It reeeeeeeally depends on the tank in many cases. I've been leveling a Lightforged paladin and spamming dungeons as Holy, and I can safely say most tanks do not use active mitigation or self-heals/CC. The ones that do are usually fine, as long as they don't execute massive pulls (especially in BC dungeons, the amount of mortal strike debuffs, long stuns/spell-lockouts, and unavoidable AoE CC is ridiculous). When it comes to threat... alright, it's a massive mess sometimes, but again it depends upon the tank. I've certainly learned to hold back on Light's Justice on a group for a little bit, else I'm suddenly a pally tank.

Now, is there a tank survivability difference innately? Likely so. I general, warrior/DK tanks are fairly good at not getting insta-gibbed, however all the paladin tanks I've run into seem to get burst something fierce in the sub-80 level range. I really haven't run into druid/monk tanks at all, likely because most tanks I see are Lightforged. Going back to my first point, I'm really surprised at how many Lightforged don't use their racial as tanks, it's massive threat on AoE packs.

Alright, in terms of leveling speed, it's still roughly the same as before pre-patch.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally they could of added bonus exp to the same table as mob exp, greatly nerfed if a high level is in there...
    maybe even more so, just nerf all exp mobs bonus etc to the ground - each kill gives 1 exp at 60, bonus/completion gives 100 instead of 10k, etc

But why would a mmo, nerf a multiplayer tool for leveling? Its almost as if blizz wants this to be a single player game again(world of garrisoncraft)
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

I really don't see the difference everyone is talking about. I am currently levelling a hunter and while yes, it was faster before 7.3.5, I don't think it is particularly slow. I'm almost level 60 now and I've only finished Starter, Elwynn Forest, Darkshire and Northern Stranglethorn.... so much content to go but only 50 more levels

10+ Year Old Account
    It feels okay to me. Not as fast as I'd like (because I want 110 now damn it) but it isn't unbearable. My LF Draenei burned 30-58 in a couple days of focused play, and that's while having a ton of conversations with friends, returning players, etc. If I completely tuned other people out... I could probably have leveled twice as much.

On the bright side I enjoy ret and prot quite a bit, so its fun to switch things up every so often.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Deleted
    Reached Draenor yesterday on my NB rogue, did not have issues with the introduction scenario (I know, I could have skipped that, but it's been quite a long time and I wanted to replay it once again and got almost 1 level out of it with heirlooms, so this was OK). Did not have encountered overkill rares in Draenor yet, but plan to level with chests and bonus objectives, anyway.

I wish they could give you a veteran XP bonus, though. Like, increase XP bonus from heirlooms by another 5%-10% if you have some amount of characters at max level.

I took advantage of all of the instance-soloing shortcuts that existed before 8.0 to rocket some characters up, but outside that experience the only major beefs I had were the WoD tuning fiasco and the inclusion of "prior level cap" dungeons as leveling dungeons.

No one is going to a) know how to pilot an oculus dragon or b) feel they should have to listen to being told how to do anything in a dungeon that's not at the current level cap. It's a passing through experience that has no learning curve. These dungeons don't belong. Because of this, my new strategy for leveling other allied races splits vanilla in half: 20-40 is dungeons, and 40-60 is questing in lower level areas designed for people that aren't mounted yet... while posessing fast ground mount speed. This allows one to skip dire maul, stratholme, and everything in blackrock mountain which were all "hey we're 60 let's learn and burn in a 5-man" in vanilla experiences, not "passing through" leveling content.

Same concept for the WOTLK stuff: Don't dungeon in WOTLK once vehicles or frozen halls start showing up, switch to TBC dungeons at that point.

Pandaria's questing is smooth enough that one run of each dungeon for quests is the only dungeoning you need to do, but stay in pandaria until 91 so your heirlooms can click over (oh yeah, if you're eyeing allied races and don't own heirlooms, you're doing it wrong)... then do treasures and world objectives until 98, go get your artifact, then again stay in WoD until 101, for heirlooms to click over.

Leveling is not that bad. Admittedly the next time I do it I'll actually have to *feel* the 70's, so that will suck, but everything else has a way around it to not suck.

Again, I firmly believe that the allied race feature assumes a veteran player with the gold and/or past rep grinds to fly, and close to full heirlooms. If you're eyeing allied races and/or altoholism without this setup... I don't know what to tell you, you don't really get it, IMO.
    Last edited by Omedon; 2018-07-23 at 07:53 AM.

I got a level 95 rogue and a monk of the same level and while killing mobs before the squish was fine, now they are taking far long to kill stuff and get the sh*t beaten out off. Yesterday I tried to get a treasure surrounded by mobs, were I had to take 3 on at the same time and had to burn all cooldowns of my windwalker monk even though wearing heirlooms.

Leveling my lightforged disc priest from 35 to 43 later that day was fine.
    Last edited by Terracresta; 2018-07-23 at 08:03 AM.

With how high the level cap is getting, people really do have a right to engage in leveling however they choose and feel rewarded doing it. If you want to spam run dungeons, you should be able to do it. If you enjoy questing more, you should be able to do that and not feel like you're gimping yourself.

I enjoy doing dungeons just because I prefer the organization of it.
    I mean, especially as a ranged, where questing: you have mobs beating on you.
    In a dungeon, you just chill and do your rotation-thing.

But both avenues need to be equally rewarding and honestly, fast.
    Personally, I think levels in MMORPGs are becoming a dated concept.
    So the faster, the better. Questing and dungeon running.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omedon View Post
    No one is going to a) know how to pilot an oculus dragon
    That's where you're wrong. The Oculus popped for me and i was like oh fuck, should I just leave?

Decided to stay and it was so simple. Felt like the dragons were nerfed massively, they all died super fast, including the last boss.