Thread: Can Jaina sail?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    Who says she's sailing?

A ship that has been on the ocean floor for years is most likely damaged beyond repair. She is probably keeping it from falling apart, and forcing it to float in a direction.

The ship could be made of stone and she would travel on it just fine.

But rule of cool and all that. She's the admiral's daughter, she has to make an entrance.
    Another funny thing is... Jaina has shown The ability to teleport large groups of people at the same time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSaggins View Post
    Or do you? All she "ever wanted to do was study."
    As a kid all I ever wanted was to play video games, but my parents made me study...

She doesn't need any of that knowledge.

She can raise a ship up from beneath the waves so i'm sure she can have it move forwards too.

Can she manage this on a macro scale? Captains are responsible for sailing the ship, Grand Admirals are responsible for sailing all of them.
    An Admiral doesn't sail multiple ships, he commands the people who sail the ships. It's a completely different skill set.

can Dreadlords sail ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehrenpanzer View Post
    Khadgar says hi.....
    No, Jaina is actually considered the strongest mage alive. https://wow.gamepedia.com/Jaina_Proudmoore
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Quote Originally Posted by Archmage VoidElf4Life View Post
    No, Jaina is actually considered the strongest mage alive. https://wow.gamepedia.com/Jaina_Proudmoore
    Correct, Khadgar is the current Guardian, However that is because medivh sorta passed it onto him and most of khadgars powers comes from Atiesh while jaina is a more natural strong mage than Khadgar.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharli View Post
    Correct, Khadgar is the current Guardian, However that is because medivh sorta passed it onto him and most of khadgars powers comes from Atiesh while jaina is a more natural strong mage than Khadgar.
    Jaina is bursting at the seams with all that sweet human potential given that she is better than people who were practicing magic for past 10k years.

I would imagine that she knows how to sail as she is the daughter of an Admiral of a sea-faring island kingdom. She probably knew port from starboard before she knew how to make icicles float around her hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Archmage VoidElf4Life View Post
    strongest mortal female mage
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Deleted
    I think she used necromancy to summon the spirits of the dead sailors (blue ghosts in the warbringer short) and infused themf in the ship. They are manning it for her.

Deleted
    She is an water/frost mage, that created mega-tsunami to destroy Orgrimmar. Moving a ship on the water is an easy task for a mage of her calibre.
    Last edited by mmoc516e31a976; 2018-07-24 at 07:03 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'm sorry,

are we having a 4, almost 5, paged thread dedicated to debating whether Jaina can steer a boat?

Quote Originally Posted by Briselody View Post
    In Cycle of Hatred I think it was, Jaina demonstrates that she has a greater than usual control over water elementals, even getting them to mass together into a super tidal wave to wipe out Orgrimmar before Thrall and Kalec talked her down. Granted that was with the Focusing Iris, but she definitely has some talent with them. If you need a specific spell she used, I imagine just having a bunch of water elementals pushing the boat up and then blasting it around at ludicrous speeds is entirely plausible.
    Cycle of Hatred(good, underrated book) actually is before World of Warcraft and shows that Jaina has limits to her magic, making her a more believable character who tires of using teleportations.

the way they make her now, she's more powerful than a deity, but she's never shown earning all this huge reserve a mana that she's had lately, to my knowledge.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    except it is a spell, also magi can become pretty strong, she has been strong for awhile, do you forget how in the end of cata with the help of the iris she was going to flood orgrimmar?
    do you forget how illidan allmost destroyed a whole continent?
    do you forget how malfurion summons a storm so huge it could destroy armies
    do you forget how medivh could summon spells strong enough to wipe out millions of demons in an instant.
    Do you forget... *insert headcanon* Whoa there FelPlague, that's some real nice fanfic you got going on there. Here, let me waste my time explaining to you how wrong you are.
    Jaina used the Iris
    Illidan used the Eye of Sargeras
    Malfurion hasn't done anything on the scale of this since WotA, in a book that's no longer canon.
    Medivh has never been shown to do such a thing

Hey remember that time Ner'zhul destroyed a whole planet?? Let's ignore the little details like he opened dozens of large portals all over the world or used artifacts to do it

I suppose if y'all are finding the answer "because magic" satisfactory then I'll avoid redundancy and meticulous attention to the details on the specifics of arcane-based nautical maneuvering and simply ask the follow up question: Can she manage this on a macro scale? Captains are responsible for sailing the ship, Grand Admirals are responsible for sailing all of them.
    Yes. Magic. End of story. Next!

10+ Year Old Account
    Somewhere between here and the sick, twisted world inside my head
    Hey, I was just wondering if anyone had any hard evidence of Lady Proudmoore actually managing anything afloat beyond Dalaran. Does she know port-side from starboard? Can she fasten a knot? Row an oar? Does she know forward from aft? Can she steer a tiller? Has she keelhauled a ship before and cut her hand on the barnacles? If a leak sprang in the bilge, would she know how to mend it? How about ship fires? How would she manage her pupil dilation above and belowdecks during daylight? Can she cast or climb a net? Can she bait a hook? Can she confidently weigh an anchor and look out for rocks? Can she gauge distance for her canons and Can she read compasses, maps, and stars? Does Jaina know how to walk confidently upon a rocking sea? Will she eat oysters and clams? Can she even swim? These might be important questions to ask about a Grand Admiral's daughter, if she's ever to succeed him.

I'll thumb through Tides of War, but I imagine many of you are seasoned adventurers who have quested through Theramore over the years and could shed some more light.
    Considering she was born and raised in Kul Tiras, the Ship Capital of the world, I'd say yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stroggylos View Post
    Reckon the story covers the way a kul tiran ship found its way into stormwind harbor (although largely repaired) and took the champions and Jaina to Kul Tiras. Now it is quite some time since i did that scenario on alpha i believe (could be beta since it came rather late) but i think Jaina was the captain of the said ship.
    It's possible. It seems Grand Admiral Jes-Tereth has Jaina's ship prepared for her, and she separately captains the Wind's Redemption herself, so it's anyone's guess who is driving her ship around. And thanks for the suggestion, that was very helpful.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kabshiel View Post
    An Admiral doesn't sail multiple ships, he commands the people who sail the ships. It's a completely different skill set.
    Semantics. One must follow to know how to lead. Ships have a lot of moving parts, and their commanders would need to be familiar with them to accurately give (effective) orders and handle dire situations. But yes, that is a valid distinction we should make.

Quote Originally Posted by Desraider View Post
    I think she used necromancy to summon the spirits of the dead sailors (blue ghosts in the warbringer short) and infused themf in the ship. They are manning it for her.
    That could be wonderful. Even if it's just her father whispering in her ear and teaching her to captain.

Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    She is an water/frost mage, that created mega-tsunami to destroy Orgrimmar. Moving a ship on the water is an easy task for a mage of her calibre.
    There is that issue of the Focusing Iris though.

Quote Originally Posted by SHUMEGGAH View Post
    I'm sorry,

are we having a 4, almost 5, paged thread dedicated to debating whether Jaina can steer a boat?
    That's certainly one of the questions up for debate. And I think it's more interesting than the four-hundred-seventy-thousanth thread to defend/attack Sylvanas.

Though my question isn't really meant to belittle Jaina as a human being. She's clearly a capable individual with regard to the arcane, and it's because she was burying her nose in tomes during her "seaside days" that I imagine she wasn't particularly interested in boats. And the idea of noble blood acting as figureheads while the specifics are delegated to competent professionals is hardly novel.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    "There is another person on the other end of the chat screen. They're our friends; they're our brothers and sisters; they're our sons and daughters. Let's take a stand to reject hate and harassment, and let's redouble our efforts to be kind and respectful to one another, and let's remind the world what the gaming community is really all about."

Mike Morhaime CEO of Blizzard Entertainment, Blizzcon 2014 (view)

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeBogina View Post
    Cycle of Hatred(good, underrated book) actually is before World of Warcraft and shows that Jaina has limits to her magic, making her a more believable character who tires of using teleportations.

the way they make her now, she's more powerful than a deity, but she's never shown earning all this huge reserve a mana that she's had lately, to my knowledge.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you forget... *insert headcanon* Whoa there FelPlague, that's some real nice fanfic you got going on there. Here, let me waste my time explaining to you how wrong you are.
    Jaina used the Iris
    Illidan used the Eye of Sargeras
    Malfurion hasn't done anything on the scale of this since WotA, in a book that's no longer canon.
    Medivh has never been shown to do such a thing

Hey remember that time Ner'zhul destroyed a whole planet?? Let's ignore the little details like he opened dozens of large portals all over the world or used artifacts to do it
    https://youtu.be/UW5IYrgOgYU?t=3m23s
    Khadgar with the power of the guardian was shown to be able to do this (if he took the power of the guardian) dont forget medivh has art of him calling down lightning storms.
    and yes, jaina took in the power of the iris.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharli View Post
    Can mages even have levels of power? I thought this came from arcane understanding on how to draw energy from key lines and other sources, and neat tricks to bend it to do certain things.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    "There is another person on the other end of the chat screen. They're our friends; they're our brothers and sisters; they're our sons and daughters. Let's take a stand to reject hate and harassment, and let's redouble our efforts to be kind and respectful to one another, and let's remind the world what the gaming community is really all about."

Mike Morhaime CEO of Blizzard Entertainment, Blizzcon 2014 (view)

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Desraider View Post
    That's assuming the dead aren't simply used as a device to show that she is haunted by the past events which have lead her to where she is now. Singing a shanty about how she pretty much betrayed her father and turned her back on Kul'tiras while going through events in her memory.

Notice how you don't see her dad in the scene where she's before the ship since the camera is no longer focused on her and I doubt there's still wreckage floating about in the open ocean.

Ghost crew is still magic though!
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.