Page 1 of 3
LastLast

If you have Windows 10, switch API Graphics to DirectX 12

So I downloaded BFA... found it ok & a bit laggy.

I then went into my systems & advanced and selected DirectX 12 in the API Graphics section.
    Then restarted .

Voila … sheer amazement

My FPS Framerates basically doubled.. I could now extend my graphic settings . The picture quality is now really smooth .

I have been converting some of my Guildies over to DirectX 12 and they wanna give me Big Hugs.

After downloading BFA, the game does Not automatically switch you to DX12... So you are missing out if you do not switch over to it.

Below is some info on DirectX 12 which Windows 10 computers have inbuilt already.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2952...hics-tech.html

https://www.geforce.com/whats-new/ar...and-directx-12

Will DirectX 12 actually make that big of a performance difference in my games?

All signs point to yes. DirectX 12 can result in power savings or performance gains of 50 percent or more, according to Intel and Microsoft.

This is like getting free hardware,” Bryan Langley, a principal program manager for graphics with Microsoft, told PCWorld in March. “So if you’re a gamer, and you upgrade to Windows 10, and you have that Iris Pro, it’s like getting that extra kick. It may make your game go from not quite playable, to playable, from mediocre to awesome, from awesome to just out of this world.”

AMD’s Raja Kojuri also said DirectX 12 is like “getting four generations of hardware ahead” during the technology’s unveiling in 2014. With the similar-to-DX12 Mantle enabled, Battlefield 4 saw performance leap by as much as 58 percent versus DirectX 11 results, though the exact amount varied greatly depending on the hardware setup.

Will I need a new graphics card to play DirectX 12 games?

Probably not.
    DirectX 12 will work with most modern graphics cards. Any Radeon graphics card or APU built around AMD’s Graphics Core Next Architecture—so the Radeon 7000 series, Radeon 8000 series, Radeon R200 series, Radeon R300 series, and the Fury and Fury X—will all play nice with DX12. That’s basically every AMD graphics solution released since 2012.

Nvidia’s DirectX 12 support goes back even further. All graphics cards powered by Nvidia’s Maxwell, Kepler, or Fermi GPUs—so the GeForce GTX 900, 700, 600, 500, and 400 series—will work with DirectX 12. In fact, Nvidia’s second-generation Maxwell cards (like the GTX 980 Ti) are the only graphics cards announced thus far to support DirectX 12’s 12.1 feature level, which includes features like volume tiled resources and conservative rasterization.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have a 1080 and all DX12 does is increase my gpu to 100% usage while slightly reducing cpu usage.

I actually lost fps switching to dx12 on gtx1060, not much but still. So yea, i call bs on doubling your fps. Big surprise.

noVidia has horrible DX12 support, AMD -should- gain something by using dx12, but nvidia wont really

"noVidia" not a fanboy at all lol, do you have any sources on that or is this as rectum derived as the op?

I tested both DX11 and DX12 on a 1080ti. Lost about 15% FPS on DX12 using max settings.

It isn't well optimized yet so it varies from setup to setup.

I cap my FPS at 60 (don't do FPS games, no reason to buy a monitor over 60hz) get 60 with 11 get 60 with 12, doesn't make a difference FPS wise so I went with 12 /shrug.

Quote Originally Posted by Whipps View Post
    So I downloaded BFA... found it ok & a bit laggy.

I then went into my systems & advanced and selected DirectX 12 in the API Graphics section.
    Then restarted .

Voila … sheer amazement

My FPS Framerates basically doubled.. I could now extend my graphic settings . The picture quality is now really smooth .

I have been converting some of my Guildies over to DirectX 12 and they wanna give me Big Hugs.

After downloading BFA, the game does Not automatically switch you to DX12... So you are missing out if you do not switch over to it.

Below is some info on DirectX 12 which Windows 10 computers have inbuilt already.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2952...hics-tech.html

https://www.geforce.com/whats-new/ar...and-directx-12

Will DirectX 12 actually make that big of a performance difference in my games?

All signs point to yes. DirectX 12 can result in power savings or performance gains of 50 percent or more, according to Intel and Microsoft.

This is like getting free hardware,” Bryan Langley, a principal program manager for graphics with Microsoft, told PCWorld in March. “So if you’re a gamer, and you upgrade to Windows 10, and you have that Iris Pro, it’s like getting that extra kick. It may make your game go from not quite playable, to playable, from mediocre to awesome, from awesome to just out of this world.”

AMD’s Raja Kojuri also said DirectX 12 is like “getting four generations of hardware ahead” during the technology’s unveiling in 2014. With the similar-to-DX12 Mantle enabled, Battlefield 4 saw performance leap by as much as 58 percent versus DirectX 11 results, though the exact amount varied greatly depending on the hardware setup.

Will I need a new graphics card to play DirectX 12 games?

Probably not.
    DirectX 12 will work with most modern graphics cards. Any Radeon graphics card or APU built around AMD’s Graphics Core Next Architecture—so the Radeon 7000 series, Radeon 8000 series, Radeon R200 series, Radeon R300 series, and the Fury and Fury X—will all play nice with DX12. That’s basically every AMD graphics solution released since 2012.

Nvidia’s DirectX 12 support goes back even further. All graphics cards powered by Nvidia’s Maxwell, Kepler, or Fermi GPUs—so the GeForce GTX 900, 700, 600, 500, and 400 series—will work with DirectX 12. In fact, Nvidia’s second-generation Maxwell cards (like the GTX 980 Ti) are the only graphics cards announced thus far to support DirectX 12’s 12.1 feature level, which includes features like volume tiled resources and conservative rasterization.
    What is your Hardware though?

I am not an expert about what DX12 offers, but AFAIK games can utilize both OnBoard graphics and dedicated gpus at the same time, which means that if someone has one (typically a core i cpu... most ryzens don't have These) then it could result in a Performance boost... otherwise it's either gona be minimal or non-existent.
    I may be wrong tho.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Whipps View Post
    technobabble
    Why did you post this in the WoW section instead of Computers where it belong?

It auto swapped me to DirectX 12 and it made my fps drop fairly significantly. I went from being able to dual box on high settings to barely being able to play on medium settings with only one WoW open. Swapped back to 11 and it was back to normal. A friend of mine had the same problem, but apparently it's a known issue.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I set DX12 and can get up to 144fps (I set cap to that, as I use a 144hz g-sync monitor) and the game does indeed look gorgeous. Obviously it drops in combat and when there are a lot of players around. Usually 115+ in Dala. All settings to 9 or 10, I lower spell effects to 'good' mostly because I don't want my weapon enchants to be massively bright and hurt my eyes. I wish this was a separate option...

For the record, I only have a 1060ti (6gb) but do have an i7-8700k overclocked to 5ghz and 16gb ram running at 3200mhz. I also run the game on an m2.SSD.

I gain about 5-10 fps on a GTX1060 with DX12 enabled. Depends on where though, it's not 5-10 everywhere. Around Orgrimmar I go from 55-60 to 60-65 in the busiest parts.

Every game I've turned DX12 on in has performed worse compared to DX11. WoW is no exception. Getting at least 10+ more fps with DX11......because whatever.

Using an nvidia 1060ti. DX12 is an embarrassment and isn't a good feature. We lost proper fullscreen for this?

It makes my performance much worse sadly.

DX12 isn't going to make much of a difference in wow since the game heavily relies on a single thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    I tried to switch but it asked my to upgrade my video drivers. I don't like upgrades, so I'm staying on 11 which works just fine.

dx12 made things WORSE.

I didn't even know many people are still using DX11. Everyone around is making a big fuss out of DirectX12 and it seems I've had it for about 3 years now, all the while using a medium range GPU.

And all the dudes who think upgrading drivers will blow up their PCs....all kinds of crazy

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertMugabe View Post
    What is your Hardware though?

I am not an expert about what DX12 offers, but AFAIK games can utilize both OnBoard graphics and dedicated gpus at the same time, which means that if someone has one (typically a core i cpu... most ryzens don't have These) then it could result in a Performance boost... otherwise it's either gona be minimal or non-existent.
    I may be wrong tho.
    yes you are sort of wrong. Multi adapter mode exists for dx12 and theoretically a game can be programmed with this in mind. WoW is a dx12 wrap/backport and does not have this feature. Very few dx12 games or even demos support this feature and it is not entirely likely it will ever take off given that the game dev. will be responsible for QA with all of the possible different gpu architecture combinations.
    Last edited by Wries; 2018-07-25 at 12:45 AM.