Page 1 of 2
LastLast

EU's GDPR - Want to know what Blizzard stores about you?

Hi guys!

I just stumbled upon this video about a gamer filing a subject access request (SAR) under the EU's new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) to figure out what informations EA store about him.

And their answer was shocking. He received a 200 pages long PDF with literally everything he did in EA games. The number of Goals in Fifa games, the number of enemies killed in Battlefront, and obviously every billing and personal information.

It made me so excited i already sent a ticket requesting every data about me. I always wanted to know why i wasn't qualified for the Annual Pass before Cataclysm release, after 5 ticket they just permanently closed it and threatened me with a ban if i reopen asking why.

Anyone have any experience with this? Or maybe someone already received an answer?

(sorry US bros, EU only)

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really need to know. Most things they store about us is things you can see on your account page too. Of course, your ticket most likely back locked and threatened with a ban because you either kept reopening one even though the first or second answer was enough, or because you kept writing to the wrong department.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Vilendor View Post
    Hi guys!

I just stumbled upon this video about a gamer filing a subject access request (SAR) under the EU's new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) to figure out what informations EA store about him.

And their answer was shocking. He received a 200 pages long PDF with literally everything he did in EA games. The number of Goals in Fifa games, the number of enemies killed in Battlefront, and obviously every billing and personal information.

It made me so excited i already sent a ticket requesting every data about me. I always wanted to know why i wasn't qualified for the Annual Pass before Cataclysm release, after 5 ticket they just permanently closed it and threatened me with a ban if i reopen asking why.

Anyone have any experience with this? Or maybe someone already received an answer?

(sorry US bros, EU only)
    I don't really care what they store but the d3 offer effects account that were not in good standing I know I had to resolve a old issue about a recruit a friend mount I bought from trade. Nothing broke tos on my end but the person in trade used a stolen credit card to buy the game and time and they had it removed.

The gm was understanding and got the notice removed from account.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    I don't really need to know. Most things they store about us is things you can see on your account page too. Of course, your ticket most likely back locked and threatened with a ban because you either kept reopening one even though the first or second answer was enough, or because you kept writing to the wrong department.
    The answer was that they can't tell me. Literally. One letter said just accept it. They literally banned me from spending money and refused to tell me why. Would you try to reopen the ticket and figure out why? (ps: my account and record was perfectly clean)

10+ Year Old Account
    The answer was that they can't tell me. Literally. One letter said just accept it. They literally banned me from spending money and refused to tell me why. Would you try to reopen the ticket and figure out why? (ps: my account and record was perfectly clean)
    Means that your method wasn't meant to go through the game master system. There are a legal contact email where you can take contact to make requests. The GM's don't have access to all your information but just a smaller set up, and can't give it out right.

Think their address should be, legal@blizzard.com, still.
    Last edited by Lochton; 2018-07-27 at 11:47 AM.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hi guys!

(sorry US bros, EU only)
    This is the email I got.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    This is the email I got.
    Oh yeah, so they take it seriously. I was worried because it requires EU residency, but Blizzard has a HQ in France.
    Good to know, thank you!

(sorry US bros, EU only)
    The way the GDPR is worded anyone in the world regardless of locality should be able to make a request. It doesn't say that only EU citizens are covered, it says any company that collects information on EU citizens has to comply with any request (doesn't say to only honor requests from EU citizens).
    Signature not found

Oh yeah, so they take it seriously. I was worried because it requires EU residency, but Blizzard has a HQ in France.
    Good to know, thank you!
    Since their service is available in EU, they have to comply with GDPR..
    Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    In tbc everyone wished they were playing vanilla. In cataclysm everyone will wish they were playing wotlk.
    ^------True story!!

Deleted
    Why is it shocking ? I don't play these games, but the number of goals or ennemies killed are used for things like achievments / statistics / rewards you get in game, no?

Deleted
    Hi guys!

(sorry US bros, EU only)
    Well, you give this information to them. It's hardly shocking they keep statistics. Why does this come as a surprise to you? To anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by alenore View Post
    Why is it shocking ? I don't play these games, but the number of goals or ennemies killed are used for things like achievments / statistics / rewards you get in game, no?
    Guys I don't know about you but I looked at this weird screen in WoW today called "Achievements" and they had tracking of me logging in for the past ten years for WoW's anniversaries.. and there was a "statistics" tab that had SHOCKING stuff like the biggest auction I ever sold and the total of all gold I had EVER acquired - why would Blizzard need to know that?????? must be because they're rigging the price of the WoW token???????

(in case it wasn't obvious, /s as hard as I possibly can)

Quote Originally Posted by alenore View Post
    I was shocked by the amount of data. 200 pages

Blizzard tapes the steamy erp sessions in goldshire on argent dawn and defias brotherhood
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by Nzx View Post
    Guys I don't know about you but I looked at this weird screen in WoW today called "Achievements" and they had tracking of me logging in for the past ten years for WoW's anniversaries.. and there was a "statistics" tab that had SHOCKING stuff like the biggest auction I ever sold and the total of all gold I had EVER acquired - why would Blizzard need to know that?????? must be because they're rigging the price of the WoW token???????

(in case it wasn't obvious, /s as hard as I possibly can)
    You realize its not just obvious statistics but all kind of "behind the scenes" data too, right? Your achievement tab is ~20 pages long, EA gave out a 200 pages document. But enjoy your sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    What wouldn't they know about you? I work on the assumption they know literally everything you do in the game, every last action you take is logged. When you submit tickets they know exactly where you were standing and what way you were facing. They log all chat (but they do not keep it indefinitely). There is nothing you do when you're in the game they don't know about. Via Warden they also know some stuff on your PC too. But this is known. They tell you this when you sign the ToS and EULA - it's on you if you don't read it. This is not a shock.

Deleted
    You realize its not just obvious statistics but all kind of "behind the scenes" data too, right? Your achievement tab is ~20 pages long, EA gave out a 200 pages document. But enjoy your sarcasm
    You realize that for some achievments, like fishing X of each or the archaeology, etc, they have to keep a record of everything you did?
    I mean, most are probably just a counter (when looting X then add 1 to the counter Y), but some require them to keep track of what you did, when you did it, etc.

They probably also know which movements you've made the past X days, what you looted, and they most likely keep chat logs for multiple years.
    That's not really "behind the scenes" data, it's just things you did in game. And they're expected to do that, or the GM couldn't check anything if you request anything, bots couldn't be banned based on behaviour, etc.

eh don't really care to be honest.. Heck i don't even care about targeted ads based on conversations/searches/shopping history anymore. If i'm going to see ads might as well be something / hobby i'm interested in. Then agian knowing my data was leaked in at least three gov't data leaks you sorta stop caring XD
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by plaits View Post
    What wouldn't they know about you? I work on the assumption they know literally everything you do in the game, every last action you take is logged. When you submit tickets they know exactly where you were standing and what way you were facing. They log all chat (but they do not keep it indefinitely). There is nothing you do when you're in the game they don't know about. Via Warden they also know some stuff on your PC too. But this is known. They tell you this when you sign the ToS and EULA - it's on you if you don't read it. This is not a shock.
    Eh, Warden doesn't know all your activity on your own PC, only select data is pulled in connection with the game. As well, they do not log all your progression indefinitely. But I am not worried.

Nonsense video. They're complaining that EA know his email address and "Even his friends list!!!!". Well duh. Of course they know his email, it's like the thing that makes all accounts for every service work. Of course they know his friends list, the game has a friends list!!

Other replies have already said this, but it's like "OMG, the data in this GDPR request shows all of the gear that my character is wearing. What about my privacy!!!!?!?".