Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I'd quit because I woud grow tired of the "classic crowd" telling me how much harder classic was and that my current mythic progression raid/high M+ pushing is just piss easy compared to their Ragnaros kill during 1.12. 4 days before TBC released...

I just can't stand this worthless argument anymore, almost all high class (not considering myself to be part of that btw) player that played from classic/tbc to today will tell you the game is harder now... It's only the people stuck in the past that look for (wrong) reasons why they are stuck instead of just sticking to simple fact of "I like this design better" or "I like that the community feeling/guild feeling was better) or "I LIKE that I can consider my 40m MC guild raid as a chill not very engaging experience after a hard day of work" and there is NOTHING wrong with that, but saying "I like cuz hard" is dumb

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm happy for the people who want this. I really am. I genuinely hope you have the time of your life in there. But...

I think people are in for a very unfortunate wake up call when they realize that the old game isn't nearly as hard (or fun) as they remember it being. Nostalgia has a way of blinding people to reality.
    Fourteen years ago - You were brand new to the game, the game was brand new, and the designers hadn't figured out what how to make the game work.
    Today - The designers know exactly what they're doing, the game knowledge has been out for fourteen years, and the players who played it are fourteen years more experienced at playing.

If you truly, genuinely, sincerly, believe that your experience with "Modern Day" Classic will just like your experience with "Original" Classic, then you may wish to consult a doctor because I think you might be a tad bit delusional. Sure, it'll be similar, but it will be no where near the same.

• Classic launches - 100M players remain - Everyone is so excited to see the Classic experience.
    • Six months later - 50M players remain - Half the people have left because it's just so damn slow and so damn limited.
    • Six more months later - 30M players remain - They tried to make it work. They WANTED to make it work. But at the end of the day, they couldn't maintain the demands of Classic and the responsibilities in their actual lives anymore. They're grown with families and careers. And those take priority. So they left.
    • Eighteen+ months after launch - 20M players and slowly fading - Only the dedicated remain. Those who continue to insist that the game is perfect. Time marches onward, but the game doesn't. The game can never evolve, can never change, can never adapt, can never progress...because it's Classic mode. The game stagnates. It'll take a few years at this point, because these guys are dedicated, but Classic WILL bleed out of players eventually. You can only kill a boss so many times before it's not fun. And we've been killing these ones for fourteen years. Games that stagnate, die.
    (*Numbers are meant to offer easy math, not predicted subscriptions. Look at them more as percentages.*)

But, hey, what could I possibly know, right? I'm just a scrub late BC player. I couldn't possibly have enough knowledge and foresight to see beyond the nostalgia and spot the glaringly obvious flaws with the Classic idea. An idea, by the way, that will be flawed no matter which version of the game they apply it. I enjoyed Mists of Pandaria, but if it was MoP forever and ever then I would eventually walk away from it. Because it would stagnate.

Classic gameplay isn't difficult; it's tedious. Hell, Burning Crusade was tedious. Tedium =/= difficulty. Tedium = Long, dull, boring WORK. There's a reason it's my least favorite expansion.

The tedium is why I'm staying away for anything other than a quick peek. And the absence of Transmog. I don't care how BiS something is, unless I intentionally dress myself to look like a clown, I don't want to look like a clown. Transmog became my highest priority stat the second it was introduced.

And old Tauren models...I don't want those back...EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WskyDK View Post
    Most legion players would quit because the classic “community” is shaping up to be some real pieces of shit.
    To be fair that's mostly the private server community, they're very jaded and actually stuck in 2004. If Blizzard make enough changes that purists don't agree with they might not even be a part of Classic. They're a very loud minority, the overwhelming majority are retail players or people who haven't played WoW at all for years and years, but those people don't really care, they're just excited for the game to come back and are patiently waiting.

Blizzard stating that the classic realms will be part of the retail client and not the old 2004-2006 client is a very good first step in order to alienate the private server community.

People on this website talk about the supposed ignorance of Classic players ("it is not the game they remember", "nostalgia driven", etc.) as if we haven't been playing vanilla for years anyway on private servers. It is easier for me to log into vanilla right now than retail, which is the entire reason Classic is being developed.
    Last edited by Deletedaccount1; 2018-07-27 at 07:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by De Lupe View Post
    I'm happy for the people who want this. I really am. I genuinely hope you have the time of your life in there. But...

I think people are in for a very unfortunate wake up call when they realize that the old game isn't nearly as hard (or fun) as they remember it being. Nostalgia has a way of blinding people to reality.
    Fourteen years ago - You were brand new to the game, the game was brand new, and the designers hadn't figured out what how to make the game work.
    Today - The designers know exactly what they're doing, the game knowledge has been out for fourteen years, and the players who played it are fourteen years more experienced at playing.

If you truly, genuinely, sincerly, believe that your experience with "Modern Day" Classic will just like your experience with "Original" Classic, then you may wish to consult a doctor because I think you might be a tad bit delusional. Sure, it'll be similar, but it will be no where near the same.

• Classic launches - 100M players remain - Everyone is so excited to see the Classic experience.
    • Six months later - 50M players remain - Half the people have left because it's just so damn slow and so damn limited.
    • Six more months later - 30M players remain - They tried to make it work. They WANTED to make it work. But at the end of the day, they couldn't maintain the demands of Classic and the responsibilities in their actual lives anymore. They're grown with families and careers. And those take priority. So they left.
    • Eighteen+ months after launch - 20M players and slowly fading - Only the dedicated remain. Those who continue to insist that the game is perfect. Time marches onward, but the game doesn't. The game can never evolve, can never change, can never adapt, can never progress...because it's Classic mode. The game stagnates. It'll take a few years at this point, because these guys are dedicated, but Classic WILL bleed out of players eventually. You can only kill a boss so many times before it's not fun. And we've been killing these ones for fourteen years. Games that stagnate, die.
    (*Numbers are meant to offer easy math, not predicted subscriptions. Look at them more as percentages.*)

But, hey, what could I possibly know, right? I'm just a scrub late BC player. I couldn't possibly have enough knowledge and foresight to see beyond the nostalgia and spot the glaringly obvious flaws with the Classic idea. An idea, by the way, that will be flawed no matter which version of the game they apply it. I enjoyed Mists of Pandaria, but if it was MoP forever and ever then I would eventually walk away from it. Because it would stagnate.

Classic gameplay isn't difficult; it's tedious. Hell, Burning Crusade was tedious. Tedium =/= difficulty. Tedium = Long, dull, boring WORK. There's a reason it's my least favorite expansion.

The tedium is why I'm staying away for anything other than a quick peek. And the absence of Transmog. I don't care how BiS something is, unless I intentionally dress myself to look like a clown, I don't want to look like a clown. Transmog became my highest priority stat the second it was introduced.

And old Tauren models...I don't want those back...EVER!
    You describe yourself as a late BC player, why would you even talk about Classic gameplay since you never experienced Vanilla ? (TBC gameplay was not Vanilla gameplay)

Do you know that, to use your own terms, TBC was more "tedious" than Vanilla ?

And honestly, if, to you, having to grind, to farm, to work on your reputations, on your professions, is tedious (I'm using these examples because they take time and dedication) it makes me wonder what you're looking for in RPGs...except how good you're looking (lol).

But at the end of the day, they couldn't maintain the demands of Classic and the responsibilities in their actual lives anymore. They're grown with families and careers
    This one is gold. Pure gold.
    You do realize that there were a lot of players in Vanilla having jobs, careers, a spouse, kids...and they were able to combine Vanilla and their social life?? How did they do that, wooooow???

Seriously, don't talk about something you don't know.

All those things listed are the reason I want to play Classic, probably been said many times already

The Firemaw raid encounter stacked a debuff, so half of the raid had to rotate out of line of sight and wait a significant amount of time. I had a raid member rail his girlfriend during such a cooldown period with his microphone not muted. Pretty much sums up Vanilla raiding experience for me: Lots of downtimes, lots of dead weight, limited mechanical variance both for classes and encounters.
    True, but the difference is that in GTA3 you're only shooting (and robbing, murdering, having sex with, etc) pixels. In WOW you get the pleasure of dealing with some of the most despicable human behaviour you'll ever witness.

Most people will quit due to 0 challenge classic wow offers and really bad class design.

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    People on this website talk about the supposed ignorance of Classic players ("it is not the game they remember", "nostalgia driven", etc.) as if we haven't been playing vanilla for years anyway on private servers. It is easier for me to log into vanilla right now than retail, which is the entire reason Classic is being developed.
    You and 2000 other players. Loud minority is key here. The vast majority of WoW players these days are way to casual to play Vanilla, it's the simple truth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Healasouhait View Post
    You describe yourself as a late BC player, why would you even talk about Classic gameplay since you never experienced Vanilla ? (TBC gameplay was not Vanilla gameplay)
    There's this amazing new invention called the Internet. You can look up all sorts of things like videos, game guides, and player experiences. You'd be surprised about the things a person can educate themselves on with the right looking. Sure, it's not a direct personal experience. And I'm not claiming to be an expert, but I've seen, heard, and read enough to be able to fill in the blanks with some degree of accuracy.

Do you know that, to use your own terms, TBC was more "tedious" than Vanilla ?

And honestly, if, to you, having to grind, to farm, to work on your reputations, on your professions, is tedious (I'm using these examples because they take time and dedication) it makes me wonder what you're looking for in RPGs...except how good you're looking (lol).
    There's a difference between having fun while I work for my shit, which I am perfectly fine doing (loved the Mage Tower and hope they do another,) and mind-numbing, agonizing boredom while I work for my shit (running around a zone for hours and hours over multiple days/weeks at a time killing respawns for the 3-7 rep they give with no other alternatives, for example. Got a sample of that grind style in Pandaria with Emperor Shaohao. Needless to say, it was torture.) And, contrary to what you claim, late BC DID in fact have a lot of things from Classic in it. I leveled up all my weapon skills, my first mount wasn't until after level 50 and I carried around plenty of arrows and a variety of pet food all through the end of Lich King. And those are just the ones off the top of my head. The game didn't really drop a lot of the old stuff until Cataclysm.

This one is gold. Pure gold.
    You do realize that there were a lot of players in Vanilla having jobs, careers, a spouse, kids...and they were able to combine Vanilla and their social life?? How did they do that, wooooow???
    Some can, not all. Which is why it's a smaller drop in players. The numbers might be a little off, but it's still a relevant point.

Seriously, don't talk about something you don't know.
    Sugarcube, I'll talk about whatever the fuck I want. ^_^ Have a nice day. I'm going to bed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenboat24 View Post
    Look at the patch notes for 1.3. LFG was in Vanilla
    Excatly because they were added in 1.3 is why they shouldn't be listed in the OP because Vanilla will launch on patch 1.12.1

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    This forum seriously needs a like button. But yea, we've been playing Vanilla WoW on private servers and some of us also play retail and Vanilla WoW. I can assure you that retail WoW is nothing more than a giant grind on training wheels compared to Vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian Bob View Post
    I can assure you that retail WoW is nothing more than a giant grind on training wheels compared to Vanilla.
    They both are grinds alright, but in vanilla you play more traditional RPG whereas retail is just a collection of mobile app -kind mini-games with silly little rewards.

They can both be fun but for totally different kind of people.

I think players that are only used to modern WoW will have a hard time adjusting to how classes feel in Classic. There is a massive difference in this regard. For me personally, I love the way Hunter feels in Classic. But in current WoW I enjoy Warrior more.

Once people get classic, they are going to realize that it's not all rainbows and gumdrops like they remember. It was fun at the time. But times have changed and the game has evolved. Going back isn't going to be anywhere near as fun as they think it will be. I hope I am wrong, though.
    If we could all sit and talk without demonizing one another and attempt to understand the opposite point of view, the collective world would be a better place. Mental bigotry is the worst of all.

The vanilla crowd will be enough to scare most people away.

10+ Year Old Account
    @ TE:
    Please stop to dividing WoW players into two parties. There are many players (like me) who played WoW from launch until now and like both retail and classic for different reasons.

1. Everything that can be had in Classic, can be had in the Live game. The only differences is the time investment needed. If Legion players enjoy the current game, have a community and look forward to NEW content, then the only reason to go Classic is curiosity and something different to do during content droughts.

In the end though, when someone started playing doesn't in any shape or form decide if they will enjoy Classic or not. That's just the usual toxic "us vs them!"-crap that Classic zealots adhere to. And those Classic zealots, are a very good reason for why people will be driven away from Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by garicasha View Post
    What would cause a person that started playing in Legion to stop playing classic?
    --How long it takes to kill mobs and level
    --No mounts until 40 / travel time in general
    --Transcontinental Questing / 20 quest limit
    --Bag space / greatly reduced stack sizes of potions, mats, etc.
    --Weapon skills (and needing to travel to the weapon master to unlock it)
    --Two-button raid rotation
    --No (in-game) LFG
    --Dungeons being so much harder (Edit: see post #45)
    --Meeting stones that don't summon
    --Needing a group to do areas like Stonewatch Keep, Stromgarde Keep, and Jintha'Alor
    --No in-game quest helper
    --Paying for every talent respec
    --The deflated economy & not being able to afford abilities or mounts
    --Getting to 60 and realizing no one wants their favorite spec
    --Their faction not having some Shaman/Paladin/Priest racial ability
    --Epics taking months to get
    --Kicking people from a group doesn't port them out of the instance (edit: raids only if they're saved to the raid ID.)
    --Farming requirements for raiding (including potions, resist gear, and black lotus)
    --Being ganked
    --Write-in

Edit: This was supposed to be a poll but I hit the back button on my browser...don't do that.
    There is limited content......Contrary to popular belief WoW classic can be finished relatively quickly and you are left with a hand full of boring grinds for no true reward. Furbolgs, HW/GM PVP and WS tiger rep.

Quote Originally Posted by garicasha View Post
    --Farming requirements for raiding (including potions, resist gear, and black lotus)
    The farming requirements for raiding at the start of Legion were arguably worse. You needed 50-100k gold worth of consumables per night (per player) while raiding, more if you were a top end progressing guild putting in more hours. Artifact power was core to player power because early on you needed a serious amount of farming just to unlock all your main major traits (which were spec defining for many specs), and due to all gearing being random and the need for legendaries you had to constantly be working towards something to get your character raid ready, you lived in Mythic + if you weren't farming Starlight Rose.

Not only that but due to various Legendary related bugs players were maintaining multiple classes to account for the Legendary situation, along with blizzard deciding to kill or seriously nerf a spec that may have formed the basis of a raid group. For example guilds running two Arms Warriors dropping down to one, or guilds running Outlaw Rogues, players in high end guilds had a backup plan for that.

Maybe this only really affects the top 500 or so raiding guilds to any considerable degree rather than the playerbase as a whole, but Legion at launch was arguably more grindy than Vanilla, new players coming into that while playing in a raid environment would have had it pretty tough.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4