I'm still afraid Blizzard is trying to pull some sort of "Haha, gotcha!" move.

Quote Originally Posted by Asphyx22 View Post
    I was pretty peeved after watching the new short about Sylvanas. Something does not sit well with me, though. Either this is some of the laziest and worst writing I have seen from Blizzard, or they still have something up their sleeves. It definitely CANNOT be Old God influence because she is immune to that. Vol'jin's line "many will not understand" keeps playing in my head too. Is this what he was referring to?

I hope Blizzard has some huge twist or something to clear the air.
    I wish, but putting more thought into it there's just no way they can do it. They've backed themselves into a pretty tight corner here.

Sylvanas being evil is very in-character as well. And a way better story than a copout tentacle conspiracy. If we are doing war, let's do it properly.

Blizzard never hinted at there being a secret perpetrator in this atrocity. If anything, the only thing they keep saying we didn't know was the motivations behind it.

I'm now feeling more confortable with BfA's story. I'm glad Blizzard had the courage to finally expose Sylvanas' true character (which was clear as day, but people refused to see it), rather than introduce some non-sense plot twist to just keep the factions fighting.

The "morally grey" part is going to be explored not in Sylvanas, but in how far the Horde will go with her, and how far the Alliance will go with its reaction.
    Whatever...

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AngerFork View Post
    Argh. There were so many good ways for Teldrassil to go down. Mystery on both sides perhaps, or something from Azshara. Perhaps something like Azerite being too powerful and blowing the whole thing up or a war that went too far, similar to what happened to the Jade Statue. Or maybe Sylvanas does it, but for a decent reason...evacuate the civilians, take out the land so as not to spread her forces too thin.

But this...Sylvanas does it because a dying Elf talks about Hope? She kills all the civilians in the tree just because, burning them to the point where they likely can't even be rezzed as her own troops? Boris and Natasha would be proud of her cartoon villainy today.
    Azshara framing the Horde would not be a good way, it would have been the most boring way they could have ever pulled out of it.
    Mystery on both sides would be nothing but frustrating after all the build-up.

Another case of "my shit ideas are better than yours".

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    Won't work because nobody cares about the lore by and large. As they shouldn't.
    <several pages of people discussing newest Warbringers>

No one cares about the lore, yo!
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    Won't work because nobody cares about the lore by and large. As they shouldn't.
    a fuckton of people do.

Formerly known as Arafal

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post

MMO champion does not represent the playerbase, at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Beste Kerel View Post
    Stop doing this to yourself.
    Calm down, Leo.

7+ Year Old Account
    this is the literally the worse thing i have ever seen out of blizzard's writing, an actual bold faced lie they tried to sell us on. what an utter fucking joke.

I am not gonna pay this expansions main story any attention at all, hoping for some good side ones at the very least.

He's largely negative and that's why I didn't even bother to respond to him there. I'm extremely critical of the game but "nobody cares about the lore by and large" is insanely wrong. A lot of the reason people love this game is that they're in love with the world and its stories.

By the way, next time you see Ion saying something you think is promising about the issue you care about, cool down and remember that he was talking about it being a mistake to paint the Horde as evil and the Horde being more complicated than that while *knowing* how the Teldrassil burns. Look into his honest eyes and realize that what he says about them realizing some mistakes might actually be about something you haven't even been hit with yet, so the future for you might actually be worse than now, not better.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjoramier View Post
    Next Q&A is gonna be great
    "No, no... she's not evil. But you'll need to wait for the rest of the story to find out why! We'll come back to this in 9.3."
    When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like injustice.

Quote Originally Posted by DeicideUH View Post
    The "morally grey" part is going to be explored not in Sylvanas, but in how far the Horde will go with her, and how far the Alliance will go with its reaction.
    Poppycock, lad. I'm fairly sure that if you breathlessly follow your clearly evil and genocidal leader, you're also morally black like said leader.

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Also, this is so idiotic strategically.
    That's so obvious it hurts. The original plan was sound but this emotionally-driven shitfest literally ruined everything for no decent reason at all. It's really embarassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Graden View Post
    Saurfang explains that many orcs his age died or gone mad with despair because of what they've done to the Draenei back in Draenor. It's a core message of his dialogue with Garrosh in Borean Tundra. It is a very weighty conversation, emotional and chilling as you read the lines. Saurfang explains that the draenei children's screams were still haunting him and that he would always remember it because the sound of their deathrattle was similar to pigs who were slaughtered. He doesn't want to watch the Horde walk down dark paths again.

What was going to happen to Teldrassil in front of him is not exactly identical, but is close enough. And instead of making him flip over the moment Sylvanas started screaming 'BURN IT!'.....he did because of some dumb shit in the battle for Lordaeron? That makes zero sense, what the literal fuck..
    Yeah, pretty much. Hell, it's stressed by the Night Elf nobody that there are nothing but civilians on the tree even before Sylvanas orders the occupation and then she fucking orders to burn it.

Saurfang aside, this stuff wouldn't have looked so bad if Blizzard hinted at a "fall and rise" kind of story, where Sylvanas reaches the lowest imaginable level of decency before starting to rise up, but some of these geniuses thought well to blabber about "MORALLY GREY" nonsense and now they're rightfully mocked and ridiculed for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xu Sheng View Post
    MMO champion does not represent the playerbase, at all.
    He said "no one". All you have to do is go to lore forums or be here to see that plenty of people care about the lore. That's representative enough.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzuya View Post
    I wish, but putting more thought into it there's just no way they can do it. They've backed themselves into a pretty tight corner here.
    Yeah. It's really hard to justify any of this. I just feel that if this was their intention, SOMEBODY had to say something like, "uh, that is a bad idea" while they were writing the scenario lol. Maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    a fuckton of people do.
    By and large.

A fuckton is apparently not a bug number, this is seen from what players do.

Anyone who thinks this is weak writing has been playing an illusion. That is exactly how an undead would behave, one that has destroyed an entire kingdom in the game already.

And while I'm laughing as I write this and when I think of all the Sylvanas apologists and whitewashing she gets on a daily base on this board, I consider this to be good and consistent writing. Her character is pretty much one of the few that have consistency.

He said "no one". All you have to do is go to lore forums or be here to see that plenty of people care about the lore. That's representative enough.
    I did not say "no one", learn to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Asphyx22 View Post
    Yeah. It's really hard to justify any of this. I just feel that if this was their intention, SOMEBODY had to say something like, "uh, that is a bad idea" while they were writing the scenario lol. Maybe not.
    The scenario is very much in character and alligned with what we know of her character so far.