Thread: Mindflay clip?

10+ Year Old Account

Mindflay clip?

Quick question since i can't find it for this patch. Should I be clipping my mind flay if void bolt comes of CD in void form? Same with shadow word void/mind blast. Also if both come of CD at the same time to I priorize voidbilt or mindblast?

Sorry it has been a long time sinc eI played my shadow

Thank you

yes... unfortunately, must cancel mind flay, which is super annoying and clunky

Everything has a higher priority than MindFlay. MindFlay is your filler, that you cast when everything else is on cooldown.

Regarding VoidBolt/MindBlast, usually you have to play either with the Belt legendary or the Shadow Word : Void talent, in order to have 2 charges. That allows you to give priority to VoidBolt without losing anything on MindBlast/SWVoid as you can delay it by one GCD while the second charge is recharging, when the 2 cooldowns are colliding.

Deleted
    Void bolt takes priority over mind blast for a few couple reasons, but mainly because it is your dot refresh, has a projectile and you have 2 charges of mind blast so as long as you're not sitting capped at 2 charges you should always prioritise void bolt, it's a little deceiving but really you're weaving your mind blasts around the void bolts not just alternating between vb mb.

It's tragic how mind flay works in the grand scheme of things though, it should not be cancelled by void bolt and mind blast in voidform, it just feels terrible to see it be a clip filler, or at the very least let us cast it while moving like scorch and reduce the slow to compensate.

It might have been an overall useless talent but some of the most fun in pvp i had with this stupid voidform nonsense was using void ray coupled with edge of insanity and mind trauma spamming mind flays, it was hilarious watching people sitting on their cc waiting for me to pop voidform whilst being oblivious to the fact i was never gonna pop it and my mind flays were actually doing some pretty strong damage, often way way way more overall damage than i could have achieved if i had used standard build.
    Last edited by mmoc1448478633; 2018-08-01 at 06:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you

Anyoen got a good stop cast macro for voidbolt. I image it may be funny since eruption and bolt are the same spell

I wish one of those nukes did not have a cooldown while in voidform, so we could skip mindflay during that short window... casting 1/3 of it feels super shit

Quote Originally Posted by Natrii View Post
    Thank you

Anyoen got a good stop cast macro for voidbolt. I image it may be funny since eruption and bolt are the same spell
    voidbolt cancels mindflay by default

Quote Originally Posted by Tokas View Post
    I wish one of those nukes did not have a cooldown while in voidform, so we could skip mindflay during that short window... casting 1/3 of it feels super shit
    As @Clearcut says, VoidBolt should work as Mages' Fire Blast or Blink with Shimmer talent. You can cast a Fire Blast while casting other spells without stopcasting them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    As @Clearcut says, VoidBolt should work as Mages' Fire Blast or Blink with Shimmer talent. You can cast a Fire Blast while casting other spells without stopcasting them.
    or this, yes, but even better - once in voidform your character casts mindflay automatically for as long as you're in a form, while you yourself can cast whatever else.
    almost like your sane side is casting mindblast or whatever you like, while your insane part is casting that mindflay nonstop. would be cool playstyle and concept itself.

yes... unfortunately, must cancel mind flay, which is super annoying and clunky
    How is it clunky? Just cast Void Bolt without waiting for Mind Flay to finish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2
    People who don't buy the deluxe edition should be permanently banned. I'm sick of playing with poor people.

or this, yes, but even better - once in voidform your character casts mindflay automatically for as long as you're in a form, while you yourself can cast whatever else.
    almost like your sane side is casting mindblast or whatever you like, while your insane part is casting that mindflay nonstop. would be cool playstyle and concept itself.
    That would be a problem for any encounter where you're supposed to stop DPS (to not kill an add before X spell, to avoid stacking a buff/debuff...)

Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2 View Post
    Agreed. The mind flay channel as filler is a unique aspect of the class that gives it the feel it does. It's actually less "clunky" than having to wait for a cooldown to finish which is what some classes have to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2 View Post
    well I try to clip it right after a tick, that's when it becomes clunky... if you just press it anytime then yeah less so.

- - - Updated - - -

That would be a problem for any encounter where you're supposed to stop DPS (to not kill an add before X spell, to avoid stacking a buff/debuff...)
    even more so, such insanity! great

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stricks View Post
    Agreed. The mind flay channel as filler is a unique aspect of the class that gives it the feel it does. It's actually less "clunky" than having to wait for a cooldown to finish which is what some classes have to do.
    well it feels clunky to start casting something else without finishing what you're already doing

well I try to clip it right after a tick, that's when it becomes clunky... if you just press it anytime then yeah less so.

- - - Updated - - -

even more so, such insanity! great

- - - Updated - - -

well it feels clunky to start casting something else without finishing what you're already doing
    I have never mained a shadow priest but have played it quite a bit. Hasn't this been the case forever? I don't think it does personally if you look at it as a spell that is filler. You have to press the button to cast it because boring if not, but just forget about the channel time. I guess they could make the channel time limitless and have no cast bar but that seems weirder. Again I think it makes it feel unique which a lot of classes are lacking at this point.

Is it correct when weaving Void Bolt and Mind Blast to delay ~half second after the mind blast to cast the next void bolt?

So it would be Void Bolt - Mind Blast - (wait on VB cooldown) - Void Bolt

It feels shit and it is this way for a long time now. I've never been a fan of Mind Flay clipping, it just feels horrible.

- - - Updated - - -

Or just make Mind Flay in Void Form Shadow Priests "Soothing Mist" - while channeling Mind Flay you can cast Voidbolt and Mind Blast. Would solve all of the clipping issues.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    It feels shit and it is this way for a long time now. I've never been a fan of Mind Flay clipping, it just feels horrible.

- - - Updated - - -

Or just make Mind Flay in Void Form Shadow Priests "Soothing Mist" - while channeling Mind Flay you can cast Voidbolt and Mind Blast. Would solve all of the clipping issues.
    drain soul feels better, maybe because it has such a long cast time... wonder how it felt if mindflay had like 10 second cast time and we would know that we are supposed to clip for sure... like it's designed this way... not it feels like designers just forgot about it and went with the flow after.

It would be nice if you could channel mind flay (or mind sear) in void form while casting other spells. And to encourage people to keep void form longer, they could make it so that any additional tentacles that spawn on you while you stay in void form, channel a 2nd, 3rd, 4th and so on beams of mind flay/sear.

E.g. when you hit 20 stack, you channel 2 mind flays at the target, when you hit 40 stack, 3 mind flays, and so on.

When I spam void bolt it seems to auto cancel Mindflay. Is it my imagination or should I make a stopchannel macro for Void Bolt and other casts to make sure Mindflay is clipped. In fact for the same reason I use nonchanneling macro for NOT clipping Penance on discipline so I guess if you try to cast anything else during channel of Mindflay it will auto clip it.
    Last edited by silkworm; 2018-08-08 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by silkworm View Post
    When I spam hit void bolt it seems to auto cancel Mindflay. Is it my imagination or should I make a stopchannel macro for Void Bolt and other casts to make sure Mindflay is clipped. In fact for the same reason I use stopchannel macro for NOT clipping Penance on discipline so I guess if you try to cast anything else during channle it will auto clip it.
    MindFlay is auto-canceled by everything, you don't need to macro that.