Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Daenrys and Sylvanas [Spoilers]

So we all cheered Daenrys when she fried the loot train in season 6, killing hundreds of innocent caravan folks. And then mercilessly executed all the prisoners of war. Because well, f*** Lannisters. Jon Snow stood there watched her do it as an ally and later a lover. And we all cheered.

And yet, Sylvanas burns down a freaking tree, which i can bet most players haven't visited in like 5 yrs, and suddenly she is all bad? It was strategically needed. Where was the NEs when she was turned into a Banshee by the Lich King while defending her people?

Where was Anduin and Greymane? They can make portals to send players from Stormwind to Darnassus to help defend. Yet they are too busy to defend their ally? They can send a Hearthstone to help Tyrande teleport out with Malfurion. Greymane can port himself there and save his wife from the carnage. Yet, he doesnt bother to stick around and see what he can do to help the remaining NEs escape.

So why all the QQ over Sylvanas? This is War. She did what she had to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    The main function of Mythic mode for most players is to act as a reminder that, compared to that 1%, they suck.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fayenoor View Post
    So we all cheered Daenrys when she fried the loot train in season 6, killing hundreds of innocent caravan folks. And then mercilessly executed all the prisoners of war. Because well, f*** Lannisters. Jon Snow stood there watched her do it as an ally and later a lover. And we all cheered.

And yet, Sylvanas burns down a freaking tree, which i can bet most players haven't visited in like 5 yrs, and suddenly she is all bad? It was strategically needed. Where was the NEs when she was turned into a Banshee by the Lich King while defending her people?

Where was Anduin and Greymane? They can make portals to send players from Stormwind to Darnassus to help defend. Yet they are too busy to defend their ally? They can send a Hearthstone to help Tyrande teleport out with Malfurion. Greymane can port himself there and save his wife from the carnage. Yet, he doesnt bother to stick around and see what he can do to help the remaining NEs escape.

Because one is Warcraft, one is not.

Different standards in each universe. Warcraft has it's own thing going and people on Azeroth sees things much differently and that's how we end up expecting - we don't want Warcraft to be something else.

Just look at Warhammer Fantasy - War there is even more brutal and savage, than Game of Thrones, many times over. But people love the things happening there because that is what they expect from that world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by torish View Post
    And then, the world got destroyed by fan service.

If i was blizzard, i would ignore every crier and tell the story as i planned.
    that's what they are doing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigxy the Lemming View Post
    War there is even more brutal and savage, than Game of Thrones, many times over.
    I agree with that. And this is why it is important not to glorify War like a lot of games/movies does. It is good that Blizzard story telling is finally maturing, hopefully to an adult fantasy, over being a kid's bedtime story of princess, fairies and ogres.
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    The main function of Mythic mode for most players is to act as a reminder that, compared to that 1%, they suck.

7+ Year Old Account
    I agree with that. And this is why it is important not to glorify War like a lot of games/movies does. It is good that Blizzard story telling is finally maturing, hopefully to an adult fantasy, over being a kid's bedtime story of princess, fairies and ogres.
    I can only agree with this if they still keep it to a Warcraft storytelling - just more grown up. Writing like Game of Thrones is NOT the way of doing so, however.

I still think Warcraft 3's story holds up to this day.

I don't remember cheering that silly bitch. But for sure I were cheering dragon for doing dragon things.

Caravan folk marched alongside army from what I remember. Tree was was unprotected. Armies crushed, only civilians remained.

That being said I find both actions justified so for me it doesn't matter but there is a clear difference.

Daenerys burned down the ARMY of an enemy faction. One who in the past conspired to assassinate her multiple times and one who she is actively at war with.

Sylvanas burned down the homes of thousands of innocent people, during times of peace.

If you can't see the difference here you shouldn't be making threads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2
    People who don't buy the deluxe edition should be permanently banned. I'm sick of playing with poor people.

And yet, Sylvanas burns down a freaking tree, which i can bet most players haven't visited in like 5 yrs, and suddenly she is all bad? It was strategically needed.
    Burning down Teldrassil is more akin to Daenerys burning King's Landing (which she wisely did not do), and not just an army marching with supplies. Regardless of it being a backwater compared to current endgame content, it is hugely important to night elf lore and is considered their homeland after Hyjal was abandoned. My only complaint is the laziness blizzard showed by burning it down with catapults placed on darkshore (supposedly across a small sea) rather than some invasion/sabotage scenario which would have been more compelling.

There was no reason for Sylvanas to burn the tree. The Night Elves were already evacuating, Tyrande even says this before the tree is burned. Sylvanas had it, she could have easily just occupied it.

The rest sounds like you are mixing game mechanics with lore.

Hearthstones are not a common thing in the lore.
    Portals are not as convenient as you make them sound, it's why Alleria and her void power is what is used to bring in reinforcements later.
    Genn DID try to get the other night elves to leave, they refused.
    Lastly, the overwhelming bulk of the Alliance army was already enroute to Silithus, because of Sylvanas's misdirect. They were caught in a bad spot.

Also, Night Elves weren't even anywhere near allied with anyone when Sylvanas was attacked by Arthas, and they're on another continent completely.

By your logic no plot line in any universe should be criticized because it should be compared to GOT.

Stop. You cannot be serious.

Quote Originally Posted by NutellaCrepe View Post
    By your logic no plot line in any universe should be criticized because it should be compared to GOT.

Stop. You cannot be serious.
    lol - so true. Everyone in GoT is crazy.....lol. But that is what makes it so awesome

Quote Originally Posted by kraid View Post
    that's what they are doing.
    They really are not, they caved in under constant Alliance whining.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    They really are not, they caved in under constant Alliance whining.
    show me a example of this.

show me a example of this.
    The fact that Alliance is portrayed as moraly pure and Horde is turned into villain faction for the second time as a vehicle to develop Alliance?

10+ Year Old Account
    The fact that Alliance is portrayed as moraly pure and Horde is turned into villain faction for the second time as a vehicle to develop Alliance?
    That's not what I was talking about, I'm talking about blizzard doing the story the originally invisioned without caring about whiners, the war thorns storylines were even planned before golden got hired, and the novellas included with collectors edition prove this too, so they are sticking around with their original vision.

GoT is non-canon.

This is. Big difference.

That's not what I was talking about, I'm talking about blizzard doing the story the originally invisioned without caring about whiners, the war thorns storylines were even planned before golden got hired, and the novellas included with collectors edition prove this too, so they are sticking around with their original vision.
    And I am sure you enjoy this "original vision" where Horde will be soon under vasalage of Alliance because they apparently have to be supervised by either human or someone raised by humans so that they dont start wars randomly.

Daenrys has gotten naked on screen. Sylvanas has not (officially).

Thus.. the difference.
    When in doubt, simply ask yourself: "What would Garrosh do?"

#wwgd

Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2 View Post

Sylvanas burned down the homes of thousands of innocent people, during times of peace.
    Not really a time of peace. While we were preoccupied with the Legion there was a ceasefire, but there were still open hostilities throughout WoD and Legion. The end of MoP pretty laid that out that the Alliance was on watch and just waiting for a reason to attack, and the conflict between Greymane and Sylvanas increased in Legion. Now that the Legion was dealt with, Sylvanas attacked to defend the Horde before what was seen as an eventual attack by the Alliance and to try to stifle the export of Azerite.

As a Horde player, I would have rather seen us occupy the tree for an attack on the Exodar, but demoralizing the elves can work for me too.

10+ Year Old Account
    And I am sure you enjoy this "original vision" where Horde will be soon under vasalage of Alliance because they apparently have to be supervised by either human or someone raised by humans so that they dont start wars randomly.
    I play both factions, enjoy aspects of most races and also the story in wow secondary for me, I love it that it is there but is not the main reason I play.