Page 1 of 2
LastLast

If you're curious about WoW's active subs...

You can use Google trends to see interest in the game over time instead. Currently, WoW and Overwatch are almost neck and neck for Blizzard's most popular game, with WoW having a slight lead.

https://trends.google.com/trends/exp...=%2Fm%2F021dvx

That proves not a damn thing. This is also NOT a metric to try and guess the subs of WoW. Give it up.

That reminds me... where the "Wow is dead" crowd go?

15+ Year Old Account
    This data has nothing to do with subs nor can it help you or anyone else guess sub numbers.
    My rogue RIP 2004-2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    No they don’t learn and evidence suggests that. Behavior also doesn’t change and if there is any hope of learning behavior has to change.

Not meaningless declarations easy to say after he regrets offering up evidence he’s a racist.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    that doesn't reflect subs at all though.

The most recent claim of any sort that we have, is a blue professing to the game having "millions of players".

In other words, we have no subs, trends on Google/Twitch or Youtube or whatever says nothing at all. How can we gauge the health of the game?
    Well, is the game still running with future content planned and added and no announcement as to the end of the game? There you go.

If subs actually matched Overwatch's popularity, or even came close to or surpass the 12.5 million high at the start of Cataclysm, you betcha Blizzard would let us know.

So until that happens, just assume subs have never recovered.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The7 View Post
    That reminds me... where the "Wow is dead" crowd go?
    They're all tearing eachother apart in the "classic WoW" thread, I believe.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

I end up using google for wow much more than I do for overwatch, since it pulls up a wowhead search as the first result usually, or whatever news post I'm looking for

Wow is dead guys, give it up already.

Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    If subs actually matched Overwatch's popularity, or even came close to or surpass the 12.5 million high at the start of Cataclysm, you betcha Blizzard would let us know.

More like "If you have an inherent need to believe that the game never recovered despite simple things such as a new expansion's release and constant content updates, make up your own metrics and assumptions!".

They made a commitment to stop reporting sub numbers, they use other (real) metrics now to share the health/projected health of their game to shareholders. Players having access to sub numbers only resulted in a shitfest every quarter, even before WoD.

Also: They didn't cut down the team's size after WoD. Seen in how we had more content in 1 year of Legion than 2 years of other expansions.

Basically what @SensationalBanana said. Blizzard stopped reporting subs likely because people had a negative reaction, and the community was really toxic about it.

As long as WoW is still running and having new & interesting content, I think it's doing fine. While not the most popular of content, Legion was probably one of the richest expansions to date in terms of quantity. BFA seems to also have a large amount of content. You'll know it's doing bad when the content volume drops for a long period of time, or when there are no more job postings, but plenty of those "I'm leaving" blue posts.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by djcoin View Post
    Wow is dead guys, give it up already.

Yet you are here.
    Zul'Jin died for our sins.
    --
    My Loa are smiling at me infidel. can you say the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    That proves not a damn thing. This is also NOT a metric to try and guess the subs of WoW. Give it up.
    Can you do 3rd grade math? It won't tell you the number of subs, but it can give you a broad overview of the health of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Typrax View Post
    Can you do 3rd grade math? It won't tell you the number of subs, but it can give you a broad overview of the health of the game.
    So you devolve to petty insults now? /yawn

And no, it does not give a 'broad overview' either. You are just trying to use something you saw on google to fit a bullshit narrative. It does not work.

So much this and I'll take the report for spam.

I am actually a bit curious but this is a terrible metric to go by. I'll just make a fair assumption that the game has around 3.5-4 million subs at this point.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Typrax View Post
    You can use Google trends to see interest in the game over time instead. Currently, WoW and Overwatch are almost neck and neck for Blizzard's most popular game, with WoW having a slight lead.

https://trends.google.com/trends/exp...=%2Fm%2F021dvx
    I love how you include only "World of warcraft" when people search up "wow bfa" "Wowhead" "World of warcraft battle for azeroth" one SINGLE search peraminter is not enough to gain anything off of.

- - - Updated - - -

no one is ever suspecting it to hit 12.5 mil again...
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    I love how you include only "World of warcraft" when people search up "wow bfa" "Wowhead" "World of warcraft battle for azeroth" one SINGLE search peraminter is not enough to gain anything off of.
    Nah man, it gives a 'broad overview'

Hell you'd think people never used bookmarks and don't just directly go to wowhead or mmo-c.

Yeah this thread totally doesn't have a narrative or anything....

Not gonna lie though I do love that since TBC people have been in denial with the "game is dying" or "search trends are down= dead game" nonsense.

I mean seriously after 12 years of being proven wrong how can you still sit there with all honesty and say the game is dead/dying? I mean it's 12 years against your word.