Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by UnluckyAmateur View Post
    Why couldn't the movie be like that, jfc.
    Because this costs a whole lot more money, manpower, and time.

Wow, that came out of nowhere - a full CGI cinematic
    Great to see Zappy Boi, and even though I don't like Orcs, I'm loving Saurfang at the mo

Quote Originally Posted by cateran View Post
    Jesus Christ..You guys saying it took months? FFS a complete CGI movie does not takes 1 year...The final rendering of Cars 2 with the Pixar renderfarm took around a week (ofc just the final-final rendering..) and that is almost 2 hours long (12500 cores, 11,5 hours per frame / core, around 150000-160000 frames = 1782500 hours split with 12500 cores =142,6 hours...rough estimation though but you can get the picture..this video is manageable within days....)
    How long does it take to make a movie like Toy Story from start to finish?

[Bruce] Pixar movies can take anywhere from 4 years to 7 years! The bulk of the production though, such as animation and lighting, only takes about 6 to 8 months.

From interview with Bruce Krei, animator at Pixar.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by cateran View Post
    Jesus Christ..You guys saying it took months? FFS a complete CGI movie does not takes 1 year...The final rendering of Cars 2 with the Pixar renderfarm took around a week (ofc just the final-final rendering..) and that is almost 2 hours long (12500 cores, 11,5 hours per frame / core, around 150000-160000 frames = 1782500 hours split with 12500 cores =142,6 hours...rough estimation though but you can get the picture..this video is manageable within days....)
    “Even with all of that computing might, it still takes 29 hours to render a single frame of Monsters University, according to supervising technical director Sanjay Bakshi.”

At 24 frames per second and with a movie length of 1h44m we have 149,760 frames to render. This would take 4,343,040 hours, or 495.78 years, which is nonsensical, so I believe the 29 hours per frame number isn’t accurate for their supercomputers.

If this meant 29 hours of CPU time, then with their 24,000 cores it would take 7.54 days.

The article does go on to say:

“All told, it has taken more than 100 million CPU hours to render the film in its final form. If you used one CPU to do the job, it would have taken about 10,000 years to finish. With all of those CPUs that Pixar did have, it took a couple of years to render.”
    If you have the CPU power, yes it does take a lot less time, but if you don't, it's a lot longer, afaik Blizzard renders their cinematics not via supercomputer but via in house servers that are quite a bit slower, but it's also a lot cheaper than renting out an entire cpu farm to do it for them.

If you want to try and act smart, at least know the facts and conditions, so you don't look stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by EUPLEB View Post
    A minute of cinematic in this style takes weeks to render properly, you know that right?

Whether or not the content is reused makes no difference on the rendering speed.
    Don't recall every stating the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by Unilythe View Post
    Because this costs a whole lot more money, manpower, and time.
    Also what people fail to realize when they keep asking "why wasn't the movie made in full CGI?!" is that a studio able and willing to make a full CGI movie in this style just.. literally.. does not exist.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Corazona View Post
    Also what people fail to realize when they keep asking "why wasn't the movie made in full CGI?!" is that a studio able and willing to make a full CGI movie in this style just.. literally.. does not exist.
    CGI movies are so expensive per minute, especially that type of CGI, imagine having to redo scenes in a full CGI movie, you would have to rerender a portion of the frames before and after that scene and the scene itself, every single time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rilas13 View Post
    I understand why you think that. I don't disagree that it's a strange time to release it. But when else would it be? It wouldn't have been sooner and they wouldn't have ever released this after next Tuesday. This was sort of the ideal week, before the scenario. It isn't like releasing this right now rather than tomorrow at 10 am would have had any different effect on a currently pissed off Horde player who needs placating.

No, I think this was intended, the cinematic kinda fits to have been released at night. The calm before the storm(lol). Maybe they chose tonight because we will get more candy next Tuesday and they didn't need to give us everything at once. This is a breakup of every few days something else new and cool.

P.S. Aside from the first couple days and a lot of pissed off people from the Sylvanas short(which isn't really pre patch content) that this has been a mess of a pre patch at all. I enjoyed the content personally. The only pre patch content I have heard complaints is that their should be more, but it has more than Legion did. 7.0 brought invasions(all of which were pretty much the same thing) and the broken short which is shorter than what we have now.

Invasions were absolutely more repeatable for extra toys and things. Don't get me wrong it was a really fun few weeks of power leveling a couple toons but not really more content than 8.0.
    Tuesday with the next step in the chain since this ends the moment that event begins. The quest log fiasco yesterday was a big mess plenty of people had their logs wiped losing any progress on things like Balance of Power, which takes weeks to do. Ion came out and said in the Q&A they fell short in week 1. So they had 1 week that wasn't a mess, not exactly ideal. A pre patch is a way to hammer out bugs for sure and sadly we get some now with the hopes we get none when the expansion launches. Another part of the pre patch is to ramp up excitement for the expansion and in many ways it feels like they are turning more people away than they are pulling in with this.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvito View Post
    Tuesday with the next step in the chain since this ends the moment that event begins. The quest log fiasco yesterday was a big mess plenty of people had their logs wiped losing any progress on things like Balance of Power, which takes weeks to do. Ion came out and said in the Q&A they fell short in week 1. So they had 1 week that wasn't a mess, not exactly ideal. A pre patch is a way to hammer out bugs for sure and sadly we get some now with the hopes we get none when the expansion launches. Another part of the pre patch is to ramp up excitement for the expansion and in many ways it feels like they are turning more people away than they are pulling in with this.
    I think you vastly overestimate how many "quick to unsub" people actually follow the lore in wow. Even more so who follow AND care what happens.

You will never see a character like this in Alliance. Only Varian was almost like this. The others are nothing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayaleith View Post
    You will never see a character like this in Alliance. Only Varian was almost like this. The others are nothing.
    There are plenty of alliance characters and moments like this outside of wow. If you care and arent just trying to spark hate, i'd advice you to read some outside lore.

Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    I think you vastly overestimate how many "quick to unsub" people actually follow the lore in wow. Even more so who follow AND care what happens.
    I didn't say people were unsubbing over the lore. Since you brought that up though you can only leave people with a sour taste in their mouth so many times before they get tired of it.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Waldor666 View Post
    Visually, this cinematic is so much nicer than the stupid warbringers style
    That style is a million times cooler in my opinion. Because it's art.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kufell View Post
    Is it just me, or did the Troll kind of remind them of Jar Jar Binks?

Also did they forget the fact Trolls are supposed to be covered in short dense fur again, or has that now essentially been ret-conned?
    If you look at him around the one minute mark you can see he is covered in what looks like peach fuzz at least, not sure if they were going for just that or for the very short fur but he definitely has a layer of something over his skin. It made me smile when I noticed it.
    give up dat booty
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    <3
    For the matriarchy.

I’m fairly sure that during one of those interviews that Ion stated Anduin’s intentions for invading weren’t as (I can’t remember exact phrase) noble, just, honourable. Something like that. I’m hoping to counter this bit of insight into Saurfang maybe we will get a look before the tree burns. What if they were planning on taking Undercity before Teldrassil event. Thus the conversation later with Anduin and Genn about having to wait till after saving the Kaldorei. Just a random theory, anything right now to balance the grey on both sides would be a welcome insight.

7+ Year Old Account
    I will fight not for War chief, I will fight for Zappy boy. FOR ZAPPY!

Quote Originally Posted by EUPLEB View Post
    CGI movies are so expensive per minute, especially that type of CGI, imagine having to redo scenes in a full CGI movie, you would have to rerender a portion of the frames before and after that scene and the scene itself, every single time.
    It's not even just technical issues. There simply aren't enough people skilled enough available for that sort of project. The vast majority of animators skilled enough to work on a project of that magnitude are always being snatched by the likes of Disney Pixar and Dreamworks, studios which are never ever going to take on a movie project like Warcraft, unless you want it watered down into a fairy tail movie that is. Blizzard doesn't have the bargaining power to hire enough qualified people at once. Bear in mind I'm mostly just talking about animation here because that's my field. There are a bunch of other elements that makes a full CGI warcraft movie impossible to make at the moment, let alone five years ago..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvito View Post
    I didn't say people were unsubbing over the lore. Since you brought that up though you can only leave people with a sour taste in their mouth so many times before they get tired of it.
    "Another part of the pre patch is to ramp up excitement for the expansion and in many ways it feels like they are turning more people away than they are pulling in with this."

What is this refering to then? The bugs?

Pretty sure their original plan was to release this on Tuesday. The shitstorm on the forums made them decide to release it earlier.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumbac View Post
    Pretty sure their original plan was to release this on Tuesday. The shitstorm on the forums made them decide to release it earlier.
    Azshara warbringer is almost certainly planned for either Monday like Jaina or Tuesday like Sylvanas. They wouldn't want it to be totally overshadowed by this one. I doubt it was intended for a different time other than now, in between the two to take away from neither.
    give up dat booty
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    <3
    For the matriarchy.