Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Duelling etiquette

I haven't done any sort of duelling since cata, pretty much all my pvp these days are just random bgs. But with the duelling arena a thing in BFA I was looking at getting right into it. Yesterday I watched a video of a semi popular twitch streamer playing a warrior and he duelled a paladin, to which he lost. After much arguing and trash talk, it seemed the warrior was angry because the paladin used lay on hands.

This is new to me, when I remember duelling we were allowed to use any spell from our spell book. Has this changed? Is there a new 'gentleman's agreement'? Was the paladin entitled to use the loh or was it a dick move?

After the fight the warrior looked through the combat logs and realised the paladin also used pots during the fight, and another argument arose. Again, when I duelled potions were considered cheating, but looking at the streamer's chat half the people were saying it was okay. So with duelling being a big thing in bfa, what is and isn't acceptable tactics?

if you cant use it in arena dont use it in a duel. LOH, heroism?

Also wheres the skill involved in going 0 to 100, restarting a duel, with a single spell?

Lay on Hands has always been frowned upon in duels, because of how cheap it is in a 1v1.
    Scheduled weekly maintenance caught me by surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Hisholyness View Post
    if you cant use it in arena dont use it in a duel. LOH, heroism?

Also wheres the skill involved in going 0 to 100, restarting a duel, with a single spell?
    So do we expect those skills to be disabled in the Duelers guild? Or will it rely on player etiquette? I just assumed loh could be used by pally's to make up for the fact their mobility sucked and lack of a gap closer.

I don't think etiquette is going to matter much in the Dueler's Guild, because there's actual rewards. It's not just a fun show of skill pastime in front of SW/Org.
    Scheduled weekly maintenance caught me by surprise.

I always just viewed it as dueling multiple times back to back... best of 3-5 wins. If you want to pop them all on #1 and increase your win chance go ahead, but you're going into the 2nd fight with nothing, 3rd with a couple cooldowns etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Athorha View Post
    I always just viewed it as dueling multiple times back to back... best of 3-5 wins. If you want to pop them all on #1 and increase your win chance go ahead, but you're going into the 2nd fight with nothing, 3rd with a couple cooldowns etc. etc.
    this is the best imo

Deleted
    Must be a terrible ret if he needs pots + LoH to beat a warrior.

Personally, I'd never use abilities that you can't use in arena in duels. Same goes for pots and engineering.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BonesDeLarge View Post
    Must be a terrible ret if he needs pots + LoH to beat a warrior.
    Indeed, Ret is the easiest class to 1v1 with.

Wait until one of the duelists loses, rez and then frost shock the loser until they die and then dance until killed.

Rinse, repeat.

Deleted
    *Don't get into your opponent's face while the duel is about to start. Seen a lot of tools, including some streamers ( Hazzed), who stick to their opponent as the duel start is counting down. This gives them an unfair advantage in the fight, and that's why the do it.

*Don't use cds longer than 5 min. LoH is stupid to use in a duel, and for me it counts as cheating.

*Don't use pots, engineering, wpvp toys, or anything that gives you a significant advantage outside your class' abilities.

Small offenders:
    *don't be geared to teeth. Dueling a mythic raider is pointless.
    *don't set shit up before the duel. Ex. lock gate and portal, monk teleport.

Disregarding this means that I won't aknowledge your win if you do win, and will mock you if you lose with all your shit up.
    Last edited by mmocb32a24d4db; 2018-08-04 at 04:12 PM.

Don't use anything you can't use in arena . simple as that .

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Torto View Post
    I haven't done any sort of duelling since cata, pretty much all my pvp these days are just random bgs. But with the duelling arena a thing in BFA I was looking at getting right into it. Yesterday I watched a video of a semi popular twitch streamer playing a warrior and he duelled a paladin, to which he lost. After much arguing and trash talk, it seemed the warrior was angry because the paladin used lay on hands.

This is new to me, when I remember duelling we were allowed to use any spell from our spell book. Has this changed? Is there a new 'gentleman's agreement'? Was the paladin entitled to use the loh or was it a dick move?

After the fight the warrior looked through the combat logs and realised the paladin also used pots during the fight, and another argument arose. Again, when I duelled potions were considered cheating, but looking at the streamer's chat half the people were saying it was okay. So with duelling being a big thing in bfa, what is and isn't acceptable tactics?
    I recall a time when bubbleing was frowned upon

Quote Originally Posted by Ultraxion View Post
    *Don't get into your opponent's face while the duel is about to start. Seen a lot of tools, including some streamers ( Hazzed), who stick to their opponent as the duel start is counting down. This gives them an unfair advantage in the fight, and that's why the do it.

*Don't use cds longer than 5 min. LoH is stupid to use in a duel, and for me it counts as cheating.

*Don't use pots, engineering, wpvp toys, or anything that gives you a significant advantage outside your class' abilities.

Small offenders:
    *don't be geared to teeth. Dueling a mythic raider is pointless.
    *don't set shit up before the duel. Ex. lock gate and portal, monk teleport.

Disregarding this means that I won't aknowledge your win if you do win, and will mock you if you lose with all your shit up.
    Wait, lock portals and gates is frowned upon?

I'm sure there are many things frowned upon but as my brother used to tell me way back in the day as he Hadoken'd me from across the screen; "If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating."

The game isn't balanced around 1v1 so if you have access to everything use it. Your opponent has access to all pots, potions, non-class buffs, enchantments, toys and such too.

In it to win it.

Quote Originally Posted by Torto View Post
    Wait, lock portals and gates is frowned upon?
    Shouldn't be. Can be placed in arena before combat starts most of the time (outside of leap>charge>interrupt, blink>interrupt etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Soisoisoi View Post
    Shouldn't be. Can be placed in arena before combat starts most of the time (outside of leap>charge>interrupt, blink>interrupt etc).
    Yeah, I'm struggling to kill melee on my locks now. Removing what little mobility we have would make it impossible.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
    I'm sure there are many things frowned upon but as my brother used to tell me way back in the day as he Hadoken'd me from across the screen; "If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating."

The game isn't balanced around 1v1 so if you have access to everything use it. Your opponent has access to all pots, potions, non-class buffs, enchantments, toys and such too.

In it to win it.
    See, I don't disagree with that philosophy. But my concern is unless everyone agrees with a certain rule set there will forever be cries of cheating and unfair advantages etc. I'm hoping the duellers guild will be like arenas and have certain skills and consumables disabled, but I'm not sure.

it doesn't matter, the loser is gonna cry about something one way or the other and that's the whole point of "unwritten rules"

best 2 of 3 fixes all the big CD issues, but the crybaby is still gonna cry

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your kind will never change, and I will never stop fighting you.
    As far as I've known since 2007 you should not use abilities that are blocked in arenas. Over time that came to cover other things like potions or engineering tinkers, etc. Maybe my servers did it differently but I have a feeling you are the one remembering it wrong. I would never use LoH in a duel.
    "I have the most loyal fanboys. Did you ever see that? Where I could stand by Thoradin's Wall and massacre my own people and I wouldn't lose any fanboys. It's like incredible." - Sylvanas Windrunner

"If you kill your enemies, they win." - Anduin Wrynn

I do hope the dueling content next expansion sets some rules regarding this stuff. It's never a good idea for any game when players have to take it upon themselves to keep pvp balanced.