Poll: Do you Support Assault Weapons Ban?

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    Maybe a high school kid who experienced a school massacre firsthand would feel differently about the easy with which guns are available to each and every nutter that wants a gun.
    There are some of those survivors of school shootings who feel the school could have prevented such a tragedy if they had better security. Also the authorities ignoring the red flags sent up by the shooter in Fla. was a clear failure on their part. But it is easier to just blame a tool for the tragedy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Glarolas View Post
    https://abc7chicago.com/66-shot-12-f...tings/3892234/

Ghostpanther since you are soo good at posting articles. What's your answer to this? 66 shootings in a single weekend, where were all the good guys with guns?
    This is sadly not that uncommon in some large cities which are riddled with high crime due to gang wars, usually over drug trafficking. Chicago has some of the strictest gun laws in the country. The root of the problem needs to be addressed, not the tools being used. And most of those ( if not all ) shooters I feel safe to say, are not good guys who legally posses firearms. :P
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2018-08-07 at 12:15 PM.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Ghostpanther since you are soo good at posting articles. What's your answer to this? 66 shootings in a single weekend, where were all the good guys with guns?
    It's because Chicago's city government couldn't care less about gang violence as long as their citizens continue to vote blue.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    I’m sure he’d rather go to school without fear of becoming a victim of mass murder, sadly that’s not possible in the USA given the gun to nutjob ratio in his country.
    The great majority of children go to school without fear of being shot. While it is certainly something which needs to be addressed and steps taken to prevent or reduce such, there are disagreements on how to achieve that. Fla passed one law there after the latest school shooting there, which created a program that trains armed school guards from out of applicants who are retired police officers and veterans. It is a pretty intensive training program and their job is strictly to provide security for their schools they are assigned to.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/br...30-story.html#
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2018-08-07 at 12:06 PM.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Those are gang members shooting other gang members. Typically good guys with guns don't hang out in those circles.
    It's also a little higher At least 72 shot, 13 killed in Chicago over violent summer weekend, police department says.

Good guys aren't allowed to have guns in Chicago.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Most people aren't threatened by the deranged NRA/gunnuts/alexjones followers.
    And again, if the "deranged NRA/ gunnuts/ alexjones followers" were going around murdering folks they hated, Feinstein/ Shumer would have been gone long ago. A bolt action rifle can be bought at Walmart.

I mean, sure there was the berniebro that shot up the baseball game, but that was the random-violence type of "gonna kill enemy" not targeted "this guy really pisses me off!" that you guys are validating.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    Good guys aren't allowed to have guns in Chicago.

- - - Updated - - -

And again, if the "deranged NRA/ gunnuts/ alexjones followers" were going around murdering folks they hated, Feinstein/ Shumer would have been gone long ago. A bolt action rifle can be bought at Walmart.

I mean, sure there was the berniebro that shot up the baseball game, but that was the random-violence type of "gonna kill enemy" not targeted "this guy really pisses me off!" that you guys are validating.
    It’s almost like Chicago has no control over the laws of its surrounding areas. Also considering many nra members use images of David Hogg for practice and he receives threats constantly.

Btw when was the last time the good guys with a run did anything to help America from the government? Lots of people and even some American citizens are held in “detention centers” the good guys with a gun ran out of 2 school shoootng I ncluding parkland, they did nothing when college students were attadcked by the government for protesting Vietnam or when their neighbors wre rounded up for the Japanese camps or when the government turned on ww1 veterans. Plenty of other examples but ur not super heroes or good guys with a gun. Stop pretending

Quote Originally Posted by Themerlin View Post
    Keep dividing liberals and conservatives.... the bipolar political views you embrace will only lead to more divide in your country. Having some semblance of lowering Arms advocacy from non-profit groups like the NRA from influencing politics and finance through lobbying, is a good thing. Not sure why anyone would oppose it...
    Again, because it's politics you don't agree with. It's the classic Hillary speech from the 90's. Take a bipartisan issue, claim that the other side is playing party politics because they won't agree with you. Avoid mentioning that you don't compromise at all ever. "We reached across the table and offered to let them join us in our policies, but they refused! Silly obstructionists!"

Who should be allowed to influence politics? The NRA represents a few million people, the AARP represents a lot of seniors. The NRA is focused on it's gun-rights role, with some collateral first amendment cases. The AARP contributes to many different roles, involving seniors or not. Planned Parenthood at least knows where it's bread is buttered and just helps democrats, but is that really representing anything but their own interests?

When a large group represents the interests of people in a specific area, it does seem to me to be politically important. Maybe it gets that issue more press than it should, but then how many anti-gun groups lobby in the same manner? Shouldn't Hoag's group likewise be trundled off to the "you're too divisive" pile?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoranon View Post
    I wonder how dumb you have to be to support politicians having the ability to destroy groups they disagree with. But I am sure you will be crying crocodile tears when this invariably happens to some liberal group...
    Turns out the nra is blaming NY for the nra’s own self inflicted injuries. NY didn’t make them pick Oliver sell weapons to Iran to fund terrorists In South America North, nor did NY make the NRA toxic to deal with when the nra tried to get the government to attack companies who ended almost unused nra associated programs, plus the whole calling the parkland kids domestic terrorists, NY didn’t make the nra did that either. The wounds of the nra are self inflicted

It’s almost like Chicago has no control over the laws of its surrounding areas.
    So you're agreeing, bad guys can skirt the laws, so they only affect good guys, gotcha.

Also considering many nra members use images of David Hogg for practice and he receives threats constantly.
    And people play violent video games. Yet, no one has shot AT Hogg, have they? What good do a couple armed guards do vs a rifle shot from 300+ yards?

Btw when was the last time the good guys with a run did anything to help America from the government? Lots of people and even some American citizens are held in “detention centers” the good guys with a gun ran out of 2 school shoootng I ncluding parkland, they did nothing when college students were attadcked by the government for protesting Vietnam or when their neighbors wre rounded up for the Japanese camps or when the government turned on ww1 veterans. Plenty of other examples but ur not super heroes or good guys with a gun. Stop pretending
    Interesting. Since not every situation was fixed by an armed bystander, they are worthless, but when 350 people are killed out of 3,000,000 rifles in a year, that's some super meaningful need to infringe, gotcha.

10+ Year Old Account
    So you're agreeing, bad guys can skirt the laws, so they only affect good guys, gotcha.

And people play violent video games. Yet, no one has shot AT Hogg, have they? What good do a couple armed guards do vs a rifle shot from 300+ yards?

Interesting. Since not every situation was fixed by an armed bystander, they are worthless, but when 350 people are killed out of 3,000,000 rifles in a year, that's some super meaningful need to infringe, gotcha.
    How is legally buying a gun skirting laws?
    Convenient how u missed the point of those same people doing regular threats
    Convienent how u also missed the point

Turns out the nra is blaming NY for the nra’s own self inflicted injuries.
    The NRA is claiming that NY is using political pressure to dissuade private companies from dealing with the NRA. Maybe it's wrong, or made up, or just an over-reaction to the Carryguard thing. But it's worth addressing, rather than dismissing.

10+ Year Old Account
    The NRA is claiming that NY is using political pressure to dissuade private companies from dealing with the NRA. Maybe it's wrong, or made up, or just an over-reaction to the Carryguard thing. But it's worth addressing, rather than dismissing.
    It’s worth dismissing until they can offer more than how bad they feel. Their wounds are self inflicted and deserved

How is legally buying a gun skirting laws?
    Because a person cannot legally buy a gun and reside in Chicago to be that good guy. You're using the oft-quoted, but incorrect, assumption that you can legally buy a firearm outside of your residential area. You can go to another jurisdiction and break laws (straw purchase, black market), but why would a good guy do that?

Convenient how u missed the point of those same people doing regular threats
    Convienent how u also missed the point
    No, I'm making my point and you're ignoring it. We've said he is a hypocrite for having armed security while saying guns don't make you safer, your response is that he's in more danger because of targeted threats. My response is that a handgun will not protect you from a targeted threat, only from a general/ indiscriminate/ random attack. Your response is that he has had direct threats.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because a person cannot legally buy a gun and reside in Chicago to be that good guy. You're using the oft-quoted, but incorrect, assumption that you can legally buy a firearm outside of your residential area. You can go to another jurisdiction and break laws (straw purchase, black market), but why would a good guy do that?

No, I'm making my point and you're ignoring it. We've said he is a hypocrite for having armed security while saying guns don't make you safer, your response is that he's in more danger because of targeted threats. My response is that a handgun will not protect you from a targeted threat, only from a general/ indiscriminate/ random attack. Your response is that he has had direct threats.
    Except it’s not skirting the Law

U can see it as hypocritical as u want, but the NRA made a child/young adult actually several as targets who are under actual threat, unlike for example ghostpanther who is under no threat, but likes to remind random posters he has a gun in many threads.

It’s worth dismissing until they can offer more than how bad they feel. Their wounds are self inflicted and deserved
    How bad they feel about what? Because the NRA doesn't agree that removing guns from law abiding citizens is a logical response to a nutjob shooting up a school, they deserve to be targeted by a government representative that opposes them politically via back door blacklisting? Because the NRA proposes ways to make schools safer, rather than ways to disarm innocent people, they deserve to be labeled terrorists?

It's delusional politicking in the "yer a nazi!" era, and the end result will not be beneficial to the country at all.

They moved out of Chicago. At least the bad parts. Plus im sure most of this was black on black, so if a "good guy with a gun" got involved, theyd have to deal with the blackliesmatter bs afterwards. Totally not worth it. Better to sit those out and stay at home.

Except it’s not skirting the Law
    No, it's not skirting the law, it's breaking the law. It is committing an illegal act. Perhaps you should actually illustrate how a person in Chicago can legally buy a gun elsewhere? Because there are laws against such.

10+ Year Old Account
    How bad they feel about what? Because the NRA doesn't agree that removing guns from law abiding citizens is a logical response to a nutjob shooting up a school, they deserve to be targeted by a government representative that opposes them politically via back door blacklisting? Because the NRA proposes ways to make schools safer, rather than ways to disarm innocent people, they deserve to be labeled terrorists?

It's delusional politicking in the "yer a nazi!" era, and the end result will not be beneficial to the country at all.
    They are upset there recent decisions have led to less business interacting with them. You deserve a better organization

They are upset there recent decisions have led to less business interacting with them. You deserve a better organization
    There decisions have been consistent, their recent troubles are due to a concerted campaign to discredit them.

I deserve not to NEED such an organization. I deserve politicians that do not try to infringe my rights because doing so makes them look friendly on the evening news. I deserve the right to not have my fate decided by a bunch of politicians that know nothing of any of the issues they're debating. Since that is not going to happen, we're left hoping that the lobbying groups can somewhat represent us while cashing in for themselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    There decisions have been consistent, their recent troubles are due to a concerted campaign to discredit them.

I deserve not to NEED such an organization. I deserve politicians that do not try to infringe my rights because doing so makes them look friendly on the evening news. I deserve the right to not have my fate decided by a bunch of politicians that know nothing of any of the issues they're debating. Since that is not going to happen, we're left hoping that the lobbying groups can somewhat represent us while cashing in for themselves.
    Oliver north was their decision
    Getting the government to punish companies for ending unused programs with the nra was their decision
    Attacking young adults and children and calling them the terrorists was their decision

This was not a campaign against them