10+ Year Old Account

Question [Novella] Is Malfurion too powerful?

After reading the quest text about Sylvanas forcing Malfurion into a position that would compromise his traditional neutrality I had grave concerns about the Archdruid properly entering the fray. With the absurdity of his abilities in Knaakian history it seemed all too possible that Blizzard could write the great teacher outside of the bounds of believability, and stretch the fabric of the fiction too far to remain engrossed and immersed in his vulnerability as a character - particularly after the line about Malfurion being "a force of nature".

If you had told me without context that the Horde outnumbered the Night Elves 8 to 1 with Saurfang, Sylvanas and Nathanos on the team and Tyrande sequestered elsewhere, and they still feared they might lose the day I would have flipped a table, but I think this was handled very well. For one, Malfurion could have only mustered his power to such a degree on the Night Elves' home turf, at the foot of Hyjal where they lived for millenia. He couldn't have, say, marched on Durotar and uprooted walking cacti; his druids couldn't skulk about the treetops in the Horde's wastelands; there are no wisps to easily call forth on the deforested planes of Mulgore. It had to be in his people's forests, and that factor of gating his power to a region really balances it in my eyes. He's only a match for an entire army with a token force in some very restricted places, and can't easily turn those powers to the offense. The wisps were his own sort of army of the dead to match Sylvanas', but bound to trees and able to be frightened or abandon his plan altogether. And if you catch him in travel form he's clearly as vulnerable as any druid.

But what do you think? How do you gauge Blizzard's handling of his power level? How about Lorash and Chikkers and Captain manhandlind (goblinhandling?) all of those druids?
    Last edited by MrSaggins; 2018-08-08 at 01:09 AM.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    "There is another person on the other end of the chat screen. They're our friends; they're our brothers and sisters; they're our sons and daughters. Let's take a stand to reject hate and harassment, and let's redouble our efforts to be kind and respectful to one another, and let's remind the world what the gaming community is really all about."

Mike Morhaime CEO of Blizzard Entertainment, Blizzcon 2014 (view)

I didn't read many of the comics, but in-game Malfurion seems awfully restrained or nerfed. If he's so powerful, why is he always getting captured and in need of rescuing by Tyrande? Seriously, since Cataclysm, I have never seen Malfurion display this great power I hear so much about and actually defeat anyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I view most faction leaders as pretty much a battalion unto themselves - measured against your rank and file grunt or footman, a given "Hero" is worth a column of hardened infantry. Though the Horde had a significant numerical advantage against the Kaldorei Sentinel forces they were largely one force arrowing into hostile territory, Malfurion on the battlefield gave the Kaldorei defenders a flanking advantage, and being one "unit" he was also highly maneuverable on a chaotic and changing battlefield. Fortunately (for the Horde) Malfurion's ability to press down against Saurfang's more numerous battalion was down to the presence of Sylvanas, herself of a similar stature to Malfurion, and her "hunt" for the Archdruid kept him from bring his full strength to bear against Saurfang's relentless advance.

It is true, too, that Malfurion enjoys a significant advantage in his homeland - easy access to the source of his powers, his intimate knowledge of the terrain, as well as the presence of a great number of Kaldorei wisps he can employ against an attacking force. Malfurion has shown that in foreign lands he has to get to know the spirit of the region before he can bring his might to bear, much like a Shaman has to treat with the Elemental spirits to use their most considerable powers. If nature is threatened or in pain his power also wanes.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

he got his ass kicked by sylvanas twice. i think sylvanas seems a bit too powerful in the novella, malfurion is just right and saurfang is a little on the weak side. the novellas make it seem like non-magic users (warriors in particular) are cannon-fodder

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by sopeonaroap View Post
    he got his ass kicked by sylvanas twice. i think sylvanas seems a bit too powerful in the novella, malfurion is just right and saurfang is a little on the weak side. the novellas make it seem like non-magic users (warriors in particular) are cannon-fodder
    Personally I think Saurfang underestimates himself in "A Good War," which is probably down to his experiences in the Third War. Malfurion casts an exceedingly long shadow in the Warcraft universe, especially post-WC3. In many ways that, too, is down to a proverbial trick of the light. Not to say Malfurion isn't powerful, he most certainly is, but perhaps not quite as powerful as Saurfang seems to think. Malfurion wisely lets his legend go before him as well - doing its job of intimidating and sowing doubt among his enemies.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    If nature is threatened or in pain his power also wanes.
    Oh wow, I didn't know that.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    "There is another person on the other end of the chat screen. They're our friends; they're our brothers and sisters; they're our sons and daughters. Let's take a stand to reject hate and harassment, and let's redouble our efforts to be kind and respectful to one another, and let's remind the world what the gaming community is really all about."

Mike Morhaime CEO of Blizzard Entertainment, Blizzcon 2014 (view)

If anything, Malfurion's depiction in the novella was on the weaker side compared to his other depictions in the novels. Must have not been angry enough for some reason.
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang
    Donnons le sang de guillotine
    Pour guerir la secheresse de la guillotine
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSaggins View Post
    After reading the quest text about Sylvanas forcing Malfurion into a position that would compromise his traditional neutrality I had grave concerns about the Archdruid properly entering the fray. With the absurdity of his abilities in Knaakian history it seemed all too possible that Blizzard could write the great teacher outside of the bounds of believability, and stretch the fabric of the fiction too far to remain engrossed and immersed in his vulnerability as a character - particularly after the line about Malfurion being "a force of nature".

If you had told me without context that the Horde outnumbered the Night Elves 8 to 1 with Saurfang, Sylvanas and Nathanos on the team and Tyrande sequestered elsewhere, and they still feared they might lose the day I would have flipped a table, but I think this was handled very well. For one, Malfurion could have only mustered his power to such a degree on the Night Elves' home turf, at the foot of Hyjal where they lived for millenia. He couldn't have, say, marched on Durotar and uprooted walking cacti; his druids couldn't skulk about the treetops in the Horde's wastelands; there are no wisps to easily call forth on the deforested planes of Mulgore. It had to be in his people's forests, and that factor of gating his power to a region really balances it in my eyes. He's only a match for an entire army with a token force in some very restricted places, and can't easily turn those powers to the offense. The wisps were his own sort of army of the dead to match Sylvanas', but bound to trees and able to be frightened or abandon his plan altogether. And if you catch him in travel form he's clearly as vulnerable as any druid.

But what do you think? How do you gauge Blizzard's handling of his power level? How about Lorash and Chikkers and Captain manhandlind (goblinhandling?) all of those druids?
    Why Malfurion should be powerful and should wipe the floor with everyone bar few selected powerful being, like Thrall, Khadgar, Velen, Kael'thas etc. There is absolutely no need to nerf him for the sake of Sylvanas or any other regular (anduin included).
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Obviously this issue doesn't affect me however unlike some raiders I don't see the point in taking satisfaction in this injustice, it's wrong, just because it doesn't hurt me doesn't stop it being wrong, the player base should stand together when Blizzard do stupid shit like this not laugh at the ones being victimised.

Yes, nerf Malfurion.

We should do the things he does instead.

Quote Originally Posted by sopeonaroap View Post
    Uhm... no. Malfurion won.
    She was kneeling, had less HP, was moaning with pain.
    If Blizzard didn't mean it, they wouldn't add that in the game. Simple as that.

Then Saurfang attacked him from the back.