View Poll Results: Will you still watch GotG without Dave Batista?

Voters
237. This poll is closed
  • Yes

97 40.93%
  • No

140 59.07%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I mean they replaced Terrence Howard and I still watched the other iron man movies. It's just a movie, if they replace him with someone as good or better, why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    I love the tweet. Must suck for the Left to see their commonly used tactics used against them.

That said, the cast is just perfect. It will definitely not be the same and I'll be sad if it ends up ruining the franchise.
    Outrage culture has been the the rights modus operandi for decades.

Also, weird how anybody can proudly associate with the right nowadays and feel like they are the good side. Cuz of the fascism 'n shit, y'know.

He's the funniest part of those movies for me. I probably would not.

I watched the first movie don't remember finishing the second but this crap from #cyberbullshitartists blows. the guy made some jokes in poor taste so what, the best comedians do it all the time we don't lynch them.

My usual yardstick still applies:

Baring Fantastic Four level reviews, I will go see the new nerd movie. Yes, not having Gunn and Batista might make the movie worse. Or not. Its too far away for me to even care.

Very likely not.
    Main toon: Priest
    Alts: Rogue, Druid and Paladin plus many, many more.

I wouldn't watch it without Gunn so Bautista's involvment doesn't matter as much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    I love the tweet. Must suck for the Left to see their commonly used tactics used against them.

That said, the cast is just perfect. It will definitely not be the same and I'll be sad if it ends up ruining the franchise.
    How many tweets has "the left" dredged up from 10 years ago that the person had already apologized for with the explicit intent of getting someone fired?

If anything this adds a level of discussion that the alt-right likely didn't expect or want. They don't want nuance; they want knee-jerk reaction. And while they might have gotten it in Disney firing Gunn, the situation didn't "blow over." People are rallying to Gunn's side, including many of Disney's big-name stars, and now Disney is looking quite the fool for their rash action.

If the alt-right neckbeards pull up some other quote from some liberal comedian's past and try and use it against them to silence their platform, whatever company that comedian is in the employ of will think much more carefully about firing the person because they know what a firestorm disney brought upon themselves with their knee-jerk reaction.

Do you think the people actively tweeting racist things will be given that same consideration? I doubt it. No one was making that kind of fuss over Roseanne.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SensationalBanana View Post
    I've loved his comedic parts of the movies for sure. The movies just wouldn't feel right without him even if the character remained played by a new actor...

They should just say "fuck you!" to the Trumpanzees that dug up the old tweets and keep Gunn.

Relevant:

https://www.change.org/p/marvel-re-hire-james-gunn
    While I have no doubt that Disney would probably like to go back on their actions, I also doubt that such a monolithic "our word is law" company would admit to such wrong doing. They probably just want the situation to go away.

And who says Gunn wants to work with them anymore anyway? They fired him with no notice based on settled business over something that happened 10 years ago. Doesn't really paint them as a very reliable employer.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    He's the funniest part of those movies for me. I probably would not.
    We have very different senses of humor. I think he tries to hard to be funny and fails. It's not a pure Guardians move but when he was eating chips and like "I'm still you can't see me" half the theater is laughing the other was stone faced like me. Seems to be love it or hate it humor like Family Guy.

I do think people need to watch what they say, but I also think that companies firing people for bad jokes they made years ago just to satisfy a current hype should not be rewarded. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for cleaning house - but I just don't buy for one second that such an intent is really behind this. They're just cashing in on a trend, maybe exacerbated by existing differences between the parties involved that now have a convenient trigger to pull. It all feels way too hypocritical.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    I do think people need to watch what they say, but I also think that companies firing people for bad jokes they made years ago just to satisfy a current hype should not be rewarded. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for cleaning house - but I just don't buy for one second that such an intent is really behind this. They're just cashing in on a trend, maybe exacerbated by existing differences between the parties involved that now have a convenient trigger to pull. It all feels way too hypocritical.
    They weren't cashing in on a trend per say, they were reacting in a knee-jerk manner to a targeted political maneuver. They saw controversy for their family-friendly brand brought to light and, even though they had already internally dealt with the situation years prior, were afraid that it would bring them undue scrutiny (especially during the big merger going through) and wanted to sweep the situation under the rug.

Obviously, that didn't work.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

I didn't like either guardian of the galaxy movies much. I don't even know which character this guy played.

I'm torn, on one hand I am a fan of the GoTG franchise, but on the other hand, what Gunn posted as "jokes" were pretty vile, and it was amusing to see the howling twitter mob lose one of their own at the hand of their own tactics (diving through social media posts for anything that can be used) after targeting so many on the conservative side.

I would probably still watch it but I would be disappointed.

I'll still see it, and most likely be let down....while the movies aren't the most amazing...I think the onscreen chemistry among the actors is phenomenal. If that went missing the next installment would truly suffer. Here's hoping that if they don't hire Gunn back(which they probably won't) and if he gets recast that whoever plays him has the same chemistry with the other actors as he did.

Here's an idea. just read the comics instead.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by Kapadons View Post
    The second movie was an abomination. So I won’t watch #3 if the same director is back. I won’t watch it if Bautista is replaced or remains.
    lolwat. second was even better than the first.

i really like the character and think he is funny but he is definitely the most replaceable of the main cast. i might be missing full context but from the quick google search i did of james gunn and the tweets, the dude deserved it. there is a place for making light of unpleasant things (or endorsing them if that was the case) and twitter is not one of them. people need to realize twitter and facebook aren't personal spaces to vent anymore. they represent yourself for your careers. if you want to say something stupid, do it in private.

i would be really sad to see dave leave but disney and the marvel studio are really good at finding actors that almost embody what that character acts like. robert downey jr is the first actor i actually learned the name of and that was because of iron man. he is so good at the part that he basically is iron man.

What are you guys talking about. This is excellent opportunity to cast a more diverse character. Maybe replace him with a transgender person taking the role under the same name. I applaud his effort on Gunn, but this is a excellent opportunity to cast a transgender character in GOTG3.

In the mean time, re-hire muslim writer as well, don't tell me there is not a single muslim that could replace a cis white man. Disney you can do it.