Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Be patient please, it'll take him a moment to settle on which number to pull out of his ass.
    I'll be here, waiting, in hope, that one day, I get a good estimate since the OP has figured out the right percentage of shitheads abusing a movement to justify a movement being bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally, I find the persistent culture of sexual assault and employee exploitation more annoying.

But my thoughts and prayers go out to all the people for whom the worst thing about rape is having to hear about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by X Amadeus X View Post
    I am not opposed to this, if it is proven false or made up yes, I agree 100% no doubt.

However not enough evidence to go forward isn't the same thing as a false accusation, however if the rebuttal to that is what about the accused. I would say I would support legislation to protect those accused much in the same way rape shield laws work.

The Courts should protect the name of the accused, there should be certain mandates that should such information get out, public or private institutions are forbidden from acting.

If there isn't enough information to move forward, the records and information are sealed.
    Hopefully this becomes a reality.

It doesn't just affect people accused in #MeToo. My uncle was accused by one of my aunts years before the hashtag, and he was protected by the court holding his name and all that away from media.

- - - Updated - - -

Be patient please, it'll take him a moment to settle on which number to pull out of his ass.
    Zing!

Sadly, 100% on point.

Pretty much this.

While there are always going to be shitty people (of both genders) who falsify stuff for attention or to get back at someone, those are the exception, not the rule.

Also, get the fuck out with this ignorant victim-blaming bullshit. Not that I'm surprised by it, coming from you.

- - - Updated - - -

Not that you don't realize it already, Celista, but you might as well be talking to a cement block.
    Don't come forward with something that happened 40 years just to get someone locked up that's almost dead. [Billy Cosby for an attention.]
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Agrossive View Post
    Sounds like an ideal system to me! If only law makers cared, something like this could get passed.
    I think it can, and I think it will, because personally this shit has to move beyond traditionalist ideas, shit the stereotype this is just women is a problem too, I don't mean just the accused, but I mean those making the claims.

A guy like say Terry Crews suggesting he was also #MeToo shouldn't be met with smirks or jokes, that shit isn't funny. If someone is sexually assaulted no matter who it is women or men, that shit can be humiliating, just as being accused if the charge is made up. Getting beyond how often one or the other should happen.

I think where we might agree is that with the above there can be measures in place that are as fair as possible to all involved until it can be sorted out.

I realize also the courts can control what attitudes people have, if they did so much shit wouldn't get triad in the public before it's met the law. But I do think there should be laws like with Rape Shield that recognizes the society and influence we have NOW, can bleed not only into courts, but into the lives of people who are also innocent until proven guilty.

Public opinion is what it is but Innocent Until Proven Guilty really really needs to be something hit home by Courts and Authorities whenever possible.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    That's a survey, not science.

I made sure to look into it, because the idea that 20% of women experience rape sounds like nonsense, and sure enough it is nonsense.
    Yep, because it doesn't include the people who don't readily volunteer that information.

The actual number is probably greater.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    For every #MeToo story there are likely 10 stories that you haven't heard, rape is underreported and 15-20% of women in the US experience rape at least once during their lifetime . Sorry you don't like it.

#MeToo
    I never said I didn't like it. I said it's annoying. People are abusing their for their own benefit and sorry that you're ignorant of this fact. If they want justice they can simply go to court. They don't have to be all over TV saying this stuff without getting justice first.

Quote Originally Posted by X Amadeus X View Post
    I am not opposed to this, if it is proven false or made up yes, I agree 100% no doubt.

However not enough evidence to go forward isn't the same thing as a false accusation, however if the rebuttal to that is what about the accused. I would say I would support legislation to protect those accused much in the same way rape shield laws work.

The Courts should protect the name of the accused, there should be certain mandates that should such information get out, public or private institutions are forbidden from acting.

If there isn't enough information to move forward, the records and information are sealed.
    The problem with that is freedom of speech. If someone assaults you, you have no legal obligation to be quiet about it even if you can't prove it.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, that's bullshit.
    Prove me wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    I never said I didn't like it. I said it's annoying. People are abusing their for their own benefit and sorry that you're ignorant of this fact. If they want justice they can simply go to court. They don't have to be all over TV saying this stuff without getting justice first.
    Settling in private, in court is one of the things contributing to this present situation.

People are far more likely to take the risk of assaulting someone if they know enough money on the DL can make the consequences go away.

10+ Year Old Account
    What money are they making?

There isn't a "I claimed to have been harassed, so I get a lump sum of money, no questions asked" fund just sitting around.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    What money are they making?

There isn't a "I claimed to have been harassed, so I get a lump sum of money, no questions asked" fund just sitting around.
    The media pays them. This is common sense. Have you not been on the news before?

Bringing it out into the open = the only way things will change on a grander scale though. It's been the case in history before, and will continue to be. Just imagine if African Americans had tried to keep things to the courts rather than "attention-seek" by going outside en mass and protesting?

- - - Updated - - -

The media pays them. This is common sense. Have you not been on the news before?
    I have been, I wasn't paid...

Where's my money, TV4???

You sound hyper-sensitised to an incredibly small amount of people.

I doubt even 0.001% of the people who have contributed to the #MeToo movement got anything more than their own peace of mind, if they even got that.

Exploiting sensational media exists in every single category you can imagine, why does #MeToo annoy you more than anything else?

That's a survey, not science.

I made sure to look into it, because the idea that 20% of women experience rape sounds like nonsense, and sure enough it is nonsense.
    You know a lot of human subject data is based on surveys...and there was more than one of them, from reputable sources. If you prefer, you can also look at FBI sexual assault statistics by year and do the math yourself by calculating probabilities over time based on that statistical data.

10+ Year Old Account
    #MeToo is fine.

What you don't do is let the people who cry wolf take power from the actual cause. There will always be spoilers, always.

Just because Mary is a lying sack of shit mean that Keke, Sallie, and Jesse should have their voice taken away.

The one thing I don't like, well two, is victim blaming and immediately condemning the accused.

I've seen nonsense where people said, 'well why didn't he or she say anything" when there was a culture around not believing the victim.

Or "so and so did this" when it was obviously fabricated, exaggerated, or the parties made amends.

People have been seriously hurt because of both.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Nalorakk View Post
    Exploiting sensational media exists in every single category you can imagine, why does #MeToo annoy you more than anything else?
    Not saying it applies to the OP, since I don't know its gender, but many of the guys taking offense probably relate with the perps moreso than with the victims.

Just look at all the guys saying "Oh, I'm starting to feel afraid of dating or being around women...".
    Basically making the movement about their own perceived victimization...

I'm not ignoring it, I said in another thread on this topic that at least one high-profile case sounded like the woman was full of shit because she changed her story like three times (one of the Kevin Spacey cases).

Quote Originally Posted by SensationalBanana View Post
    Not saying it applies to the OP, since I don't know its gender, but many of the guys taking offense probably relate with the perps moreso than with the victims.

Just look at all the guys saying "Oh, I'm starting to feel afraid of dating or being around women...".
    Basically making the movement about their own perceived victimization...
    Yep, that's what I figured, just thought it was worth hearing from OP themselves.

Yes i am sorry and feel empathy for what someone did to you but some of these people are faking it for money and the sake of locking someone up for publicity. If you want to stop #MeToo becoming a thing again buy a gun, mace, knife and anti rape kit and whistle. As long as you let the problem occur the worse it becomes.
    Yeah, I'm sure you're so empathetic, you colossal piece of shit. If women coming forward to report their abuse makes you uncomfortable, you are the problem. Go fuck yourself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SensationalBanana View Post
    Hopefully this becomes a reality.

It doesn't just affect people accused in #MeToo. My uncle was accused by one of my aunts years before the hashtag, and he was protected by the court holding his name and all that away from media.
    Yeah I think as a human being it's possible to get places in life especially when you are younger and not know how you got there. I hope that isn't the case here with any #MeToo's

But I would be naive to think it isn't, but even in that I want it to come forward so our tools and system can improve and get better, so in another 30 years people can say I feel comfortable coming forward, and nobody is afraid of the the wrongly accused being destroyed either.

Let the science the law work and get better.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis