Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsgrace View Post
    Aye, I was a Spanked as a child, and it made me learn that what I did was wrong, and that Actions have consequences. When I made Friends as a teen, when we'd want to go to the movies, or something, My friends would just go "Mom, Give me $20, Going to the movies.", I'd ask, "What can I do around the house to earn some money to go to the movies?" Eh, if only kids came with instructions, right?
    Unpopular (or popular?) opinion but I don't think spanking is a neccesary. Researchers have shown consistently over the span of decades that spanking can have negative psychological effects. This is from someone who was spanked as a young child.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffer View Post
    So the middle class is shrinking with wages not keeping up with the rate of inflation and there are fewer opportunities for people in their 20's.

Buying a first home for Gen-X was 1.5-2x your annual income now a first home for Gen-Y 4-5x of annual income.

Renting in early 20's for Gen-X was 1/4 monthly income now it's 1/2 to 3/4 your monthly income for Gen-Y.

Basically... shit is more expensive and people can't afford to move out so they are entitled little shits and Millennials are the fucking worst for wanting opportunities similar to what their parents and older sibblings had. Fuck Millennials for being such criers.
    Buying a first home for Boomers was closer to 3x annual income, and Gen-X was probably between 3x and 5x. It still can be near 3x today, you just can't have a home as big as your parents current home as your starter house. This comes back full circle to the entitlement issue that Boomers didn't have. First house was small 1 BR. Little to no furnishing. I've seen both Gen-X and Millennials expect to get full 3-4 BR, den, etc. etc. and fully furnished - in their first house. That's why it's 5x+ of annual income.

My first two "houses" were trailers. My third was actually a house and close to 1,000 Sq Ft. and it was close to 3x of my salary. It was outside the city and had a small 1/4 acre lot. My furniture was from goodwill type places until I could afford something nicer. My realtor thought I was crazy spending as little as I did because few people do these days. But it made sense to me because that's what I could afford.

My guess is that if you talk to anyone who started out on their own in the 40's through the 70's you'll probably see comparable stories of small houses/apartments with little to no furnishing, with first home purchase being near 3x of annual income.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Techno-Druid View Post
    Unpopular (or popular?) opinion but I don't think spanking is a neccesary. Researchers have shown consistently over the span of decades that spanking can have negative psychological effects. This is from someone who was spanked as a young child.
    yeah so was I and I didn't turn out like my Drug addict, car thieving, childhood friends.

yeah so was I and I didn't turn out like my Drug addict, car thieving, childhood friends.
    Neither did most people I know, many of which were never spanked. Alternatively, most of the classmates I had that acted out and were often suspended had parents who were very liberal when it came to corporal punishment. Which goes to show you that ancedotes have little meaning in this regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Techno-Druid View Post
    Millennials by definition are usually people that reached adulthood by the 2000s lol. So I don't know where people are getting their information from in regards to generational classifications...
    By your definition perhaps?

Because you're in the vast minority and I can't find anywhere that agrees with you. Maybe you forgot to research it and just assume it's defined that way because "reasons"?

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    I'm not the one calling people out for replying to a thread like you are by claiming it somehow means the person is offended. You're being a hypocrite.
    Man so upset and worried about this man. Just let it go! Live and let live! It will be ok man. Just chill out.. its just people on the internet.. everything will be ok. You aren't as entitled to everything as you are making yourself out to look. But I understand man. Just live and let live.

Deleted
    Because Punishment as a Child was "sit in the corner" instead of 5 across the Arse.
    Yeah hitting children is fantastic.

They grew up with entitled Baby Boomer parents.

Quote Originally Posted by Protean View Post
    By your definition perhaps?

Because you're in the vast minority and I can't find anywhere that agrees with you. Maybe you forgot to research it and just assume it's defined that way because "reasons"?
    Millennial - a person reaching young adulthood in the early 21st century.
    Literally just googled 'Millennial Definition'
    Millennials (also known as Generation Y) are the generational demographic cohort following Generation X. There are no precise dates for when this cohort starts or ends; demographers and researchers typically use the early 1980s as starting birth years and the mid-1990s to early 2000s as ending birth years
    Pew Research Center reports and data on the Millennial generation, those born between 1981 and 1996 and the first generation to come of age in the new millennium.
    So yeah, most Millennials are in their mid-twenties to late thirties.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dkwhyevernot View Post
    Yeah hitting children is fantastic.
    It was a common punishment and it worked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dottywotty View Post
    No it didn't actually and the greater majority of those in prison NOW, are from the Era where that shit was commonplace, so NO, it didn't fucking work.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by X Amadeus X View Post
    No it didn't actually and the greater majority of those in prison NOW, are from the Era where that shit was commonplace, so NO, it didn't fucking work.
    I need statistics to believe you. I grew up being spanked and knew many others as well who were, not a single one of us grew up causing problems for others or having problems of our own. Sure can't say it's the same for everyone because that would be a lie, but i'd like to know how many criminals have claimed to have been spanked and blame their behaviour on that.

Deleted
    Chimney sweeps were common and worked.

So was cholera.

Fucking progress, eh?

Apologies if my reply interrupted you hitting some children btw.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    Ah, the old "beat your children more" argument is starting to make the rounds.
    Spanking and beating are two completely different levels. I would never claim that my parents beat me when they spanked me. Too many assume that parents would smack their children with all their strength. In todays society, theres no chance that anyone is gonna use spanking as a punishment and some countires have made it illegal, so its not a case of "beat your children more" because noone is doing this except for arsehole parents who are probably on benefits and having multiple kids.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dkwhyevernot View Post
    Chimney sweeps were common and worked.

So was cholera.

Fucking progress, eh?

Apologies if my reply interrupted you hitting some children btw.
    Yes I was in the middle of beating the ever living shit out of my non-existent kids.

10+ Year Old Account
    I need statistics to believe you. I grew up being spanked and knew many others as well who were, not a single one of us grew up causing problems for others or having problems of our own. Sure can't say it's the same for everyone because that would be a lie, but i'd like to know how many criminals have claimed to have been spanked and blame their behaviour on that.
    Then don't believe me, what I say doesn't require belief, and if your fingers aren't broken you can do your own research. Nowhere has it been showing spanking helps children or anyone else.

In fact there is mountain of evidence that prove not only hitting children doesn't work but hitting abusing and cruelty towards any living creature is generally ineffective long term or even negative.

Because the brain of most or all living creatures react basically to their environments the same way.

So whether it is a Dog or a Child if you hit them the only thing you are teaching is that you are cruel, and however they respond is how they will remember you and how to cope with that situations.

They will either A internalize it which can lead to depression and self harm later or B they subject others to the same abuse based on whatever criteria they see fit. In either case both can rationalize it especially if it's been done to them and they do it to others.

So in the end conclusion, does spanking (Physical abuse) work? No it doesn't it just leads to worse later on especially for children.

Can spanking be effective as a corrective tool? YES in the short term in the very immediate and short term.

Which is why it's most harmful to children.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by X Amadeus X View Post
    Then don't believe me, what I say doesn't require belief, and if your fingers aren't broken you can do your own research. Nowhere has it been showing spanking helps children or anyone else.

In fact there is mountain of evidence that prove not only hitting children doesn't work but hitting abusing and cruelty towards any living creature is generally ineffective long term or even negative.

Because the brain of most or all living creatures react basically to their environments the same way.

So whether it is a Dog or a Child if you hit them the only thing you are teaching is that you are cruel, and however they respond is how they will remember you and how to cope with that situations.

They will either A internalize it which can lead to depression and self harm later or B they subject others to the same abuse based on whatever criteria they see fit. In either case both can rationalize it especially if it's been done to them and they do it to others.

So in the end conclusion, does spanking (Physical abuse) work? No it doesn't it just leads to worse later on especially for children.

Can spanking be effective as a corrective tool? YES in the short term in the very immediate and short term.

Which is why it's most harmful to children.
    It's not that I didn't believe that it can cause negative effects, but your previous comment claimed that the vast majority of spanked kids are now criminals. There is no 100% guaranteed effective way of raising your kids which is why over the course of generations, new methods are introduced and old ones are now forgotton or made illegal. But guess what, there are still criminals blaming their upbringing and depression still exists. So forgive me if I bring up spanking being an effective method on myself because it was. Personally, if I had kids, I wouldn't spank them, because I wouldn't feel confortable with it and im sure the majoirty of people would agree on that and thats coming from a background of being spanked.

Spanking and beating are two completely different levels. I would never claim that my parents beat me when they spanked me. Too many assume that parents would smack their children with all their strength. In todays society, theres no chance that anyone is gonna use spanking as a punishment and some countires have made it illegal, so its not a case of "beat your children more" because noone is doing this except for arsehole parents who are probably on benefits and having multiple kids.
    Spanking is far from rare in America.
    81% of parents say that spanking their children is sometimes appropriate. 35% of children experienced some form of corporal punishment at least once per year. 26% of men 18-59 reported having been spanked or slapped by parent as a child. 61% of women report hitting, beating, spanking, or slapping their children."
    https://www.brookings.edu/research/h...al-punishment/

It is however decreasing in usage worldwide and countries have indeed banned its usage. Searching on the internet, here's basically the timeline of countries that have banned it:

2016 – Mongolia, Paraguay, Slovenia[
    2015 – Benin, Ireland, Peru
    2014 – Andorra, Estonia, Nicaragua, San Marino, Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Malta
    2013 – Cabo Verde, Honduras, TFYR Macedonia
    2011 – South Sudan
    2010 – Albania, Congo (Republic of), Kenya, Tunisia, Poland
    2008 – Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Republic of Moldova, Costa Rica
    2007 – Togo, Spain, Venezuela, Uruguay, Portugal, New Zealand, Netherlands
    2006 – Greece
    2005 – Hungary
    2004 – Romania, Ukraine
    2003 – Iceland
    2002 – Turkmenistan
    2000 – Germany, Israel, Bulgaria
    1999 – Croatia
    1998 – Latvia
    1997 – Denmark
    1994 – Cyprus
    1989 – Austria
    1987 – Norway
    1983 – Finland
    1979 – Sweden

Spanking is meant to instill discipline through negative reinforcement and, in this case, mild pain. For some children this works and for others it does not. To associate spanking with "beating" speaks more about the person and their dishonesty than anything else and, ironically, so much hostility coming from them as well. It really makes me speculate that they were abused and never went to therapy for their trauma and are still hostile to others because of what happened to them.

But for some kids, spanking is the only language they'll understand up until a certain age.

Also, more likely, the millennial issue is a complex issue and revolves around more than young discipline. The work environment being incredibly different, more expensive, and difficult than anything our grandparents ever faced is a part of it. They only needed a diploma. Then you have the social dynamics and expectations that are different now than then. The boomer's also spoiled the kids and started the "my children deserves a trophy too!" and many kids hate those because they are incredibly awkward.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not that I didn't believe that it can cause negative effects, but your previous comment claimed that the vast majority of spanked kids are now criminals.
    Ok fair enough.

There is no 100% guaranteed effective way of raising your kids which is why over the course of generations, new methods are introduced and old ones are now forgotton or made illegal.
    Well this is true there is nothing that is 100%, but I take your point and being someone who loves his mom more than anyone in the world I was spanked growing up to, but that had nothing to do with me not going to prison. I am also not bitter at my mom about it either, it's called maturity, because aside from the spanking she did take what time and effort to make sure I learned other things, like empathy and compassion.

But guess what, there are still criminals blaming their upbringing and depression still exists.
    Yeah, but to be fair it's isn't as if you go in front of Judge for whatever and say "Well I have depression" and he goes "Well, alright don't do it again" I mean there has to be someone who is qualified to make that diagnosis and based on the facts give credible testimony as to how that would apply to any charges. But I take your point.

So forgive me if I bring up spanking being an effective method on myself because it was. Personally, if I had kids, I wouldn't spank them, because I wouldn't feel confortable with it and im sure the majoirty of people would agree on that and thats coming from a background of being spanked.
    Well get what you are saying, and I too am of similar mind as you, the only problem is that when you really look it over, we didn't know then what we know now, sure kids are probably seen through the lense of US the way our parents viewed US back then.

However that doesn't mean kids are worse today, I mean they could be, and like you said we need prudent evidence to arrive at that conclusion, BUT I will agree physical abuse isn't the only kind of abuse that can be a problem and just because someone doesn't beat their kids doesn't mean abuse isn't going on.

Neglect is also a problem, meaning establishing structure and some kind of consistency with a kid. Understanding is another, kids are not reasonable, they should be expected to be, but if they are developing it takes time.

I think when it comes to the young you can always count on their worst nature or willingness to be selfish. I would say if you are prepared to be Uncool, or told "I hate you once or twice" without taking it personally, you will probably have a rough go as a parent.

Nothing is foolproof, and LOVE is one of the most important ingredients, however that doesn't mean that is enough to raise a child best intentions or not. I also think there is nothing wrong with adults and parents admitting they need help.

Everyone does, but raising kids to me means more than beating the shit out of them or absence of that making them stand in the corner. I believe parenting is one of the toughest jobs, because no only do you have to make sure you are being the best human being you can be, you are trying to develop new ones.

There is a reason not everybody likes kids, at least all the time that shit is tough.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ElDoorO View Post
    Spanking is meant to instill discipline through negative reinforcement and, in this case, mild pain. For some children this works and for others it does not. To associate spanking with "beating" speaks more about the person and their dishonesty than anything else and, ironically, so much hostility coming from them as well. It really makes me speculate that they were abused and never went to therapy for their trauma and are still hostile to others because of what happened to them.

But for some kids, spanking is the only language they'll understand up until a certain age.

Also, more likely, the millennial issue is a complex issue and revolves around more than young discipline. The work environment being incredibly different, more expensive, and difficult than anything our grandparents ever faced is a part of it. They only needed a diploma. Then you have the social dynamics and expectations that are different now than then. The boomer's also spoiled the kids and started the "my children deserves a trophy too!" and many kids hate those because they are incredibly awkward.
    No it doesn't work at all. Hitting a kid for doing something annoying or something you don't like they shouldn't be doing doesn't resolve the issue at best it puts it on pause. Most kids are smart enough to yes comply when pain is introduces and enforced.

But it doesn't work, it's damaging to kids, adults or any other animals.

Violence begets violence PERIOD!

Salty Feline Overlord Beerbill Society's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    They still haven't gone through necessity, they basically born in the age of everything is free (with adds) and when 'earn money in the Internet' is not a scam.

"... And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers, and you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee." - Ezekiel 25:17

"My name is Legion: for we are many." - Mark 5:9
    My characters :3