Poll: Classic without progressive Servers, would you still play?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Ofc i would play, but reasonable end game progression would suffer greatly if they leave some raids and dungeons as they were in 1.12, and i mean mainly Dire Maul and Zul'Gurub, which were meant to be kind of catch-up content for latecomers and/or incompetent players.

If all raids and dungeons are released at once, all level 60 dungeons and raids should be retuned to maintain natural progression curve.

classic is not for you if you going to grind fast as possible to 60 to get best gear from raid

Quote Originally Posted by deniter View Post
    If all raids and dungeons are released at once, all level 60 dungeons and raids should be retuned to maintain natural progression curve.
    There will be no retuning, it's too much work. Blizzard will release Classic as near as possible to the release state of 1.12 and then never touch its content again.

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    There will be no retuning, it's too much work. Blizzard will release Classic as near as possible to the release state of 1.12 and then never touch its content again.
    It's actually not much work at all to gate content.

Quote Originally Posted by Worgoblin View Post
    It's actually not much work at all to gate content.
    deniter was talking about retuning dungeons and raids (presumably making the later ones harder) so you need to play through the earlier ones to gear up.

But I also think there'll be no gating.

I am not into this whole worrying about my raid progression in Classic. I will focus on leveling first. Then I will work on getting the pre-raid BiS. Then if I find some raiders that work within my times and such sure, I will do some raiding etc. But am I so focused on being the server first Naxx or how long it takes people to clear the content? Not really. I mean.. it doesn't matter to me at all. Just going to try to play with some old friends, make some new friends, and play it either forever or until I get tired of it. The when and why doesn't really matter. Just a video game.

Quote Originally Posted by Enrif View Post
    so every year a few new servers(Blizz Classic will without doubt have a bigger playerbase then pirated servers)

Why would blizz do this? creating more and more dead servers no one will play on

pirated servers do this for money reasons, selling more EXP boosts and gold to players, a thing blizz doesnt need to do
    Similar to D3, they could have a 'season' server; then at the end of that season, all those characters get rolled into the main one. There are all sorts of issues here with names having to be changed and all that. Still have the concern that the main server wouldn't be populated as heavily too, but they could get by with just having two servers if they wanted to keep an option for progression oriented players.

I don't know that I advocate one way or another though...

Deleted
    Yeah for the nostalgia. One full swing and get t3 complete on some character, after that I probably would quit till nostalgia hits again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kes View Post
    Similar to D3, they could have a 'season' server; then at the end of that season, all those characters get rolled into the main one. There are all sorts of issues here with names having to be changed and all that. Still have the concern that the main server wouldn't be populated as heavily too, but they could get by with just having two servers if they wanted to keep an option for progression oriented players.

I don't know that I advocate one way or another though...
    you are assuming there will only be 1 single server for all players? doubtful, there will be probably a dozen

you are assuming there will only be 1 single server for all players? doubtful, there will be probably a dozen
    You're probably right on more than one server, which produces an obvious problem with my suggestion. I hope they don't open up something like a dozen right away though.

I'm a firm believer that classic will be successful, but I would hate for there to be so many that most of them end up dead. I think having a few mega servers (or even a dozen if it proves that popular) would not only silence the classic will fail crowd, but also produce a better experience for everyone.

I just hope they are a bit cautious on how many they open right away; regardless of our high hopes, there obviously will be some people who burn out quick.

Hello Gang,

so i watched and listened to some Vanilla/Classic "Experts" over the past months and a opinion i heared again and again is the idea of classic servers being progressive. So starting with only the first tier raid, then a few months later the next tier and so on. Some even go by the Patch Cycle.

But i don't see a reason for Blizzard to do this actually. This progress would be a one time thing and then all servers would end at the final tier/patch of progression. And then what? Some people actually suggested to roll out new servers to experience this progression again and again. But this would lead to many dead servers just for the people who want a fresh progression over and over again.

Now, if Blizzard realeases Classic at its final patch with all content unlocked would you still play it or not?
    The is some inherent gating anyways. The gates to AQ need to be opened and all those turning quests need to be completed.

10+ Year Old Account
    so every year a few new servers(Blizz Classic will without doubt have a bigger playerbase then pirated servers)

Why would blizz do this? creating more and more dead servers no one will play on

pirated servers do this for money reasons, selling more EXP boosts and gold to players, a thing blizz doesnt need to do
    absolutely right, the last thing blizzard is going to do is make a decision based on value-added service revenue...this is why they let dead realms get deader for years before finally making connected realms, to discourage people from buying xfers...
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Deleted
    When did Blizzard killed the PvP Ranking System? I mean, could you reach Rang 13/14 still in 1.12.1 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Aeh View Post
    When did Blizzard killed the PvP Ranking System? I mean, could you reach Rang 13/14 still in 1.12.1 ?
    TBC.

The rank titles carried over, but when patch 2.0 launched, the vanilla ranking system was dropped.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chaelexi View Post
    The is some inherent gating anyways. The gates to AQ need to be opened and all those turning quests need to be completed.
    Which is really just another reason why vanilla's raid content NEEDS to be gated. If all raids were open at launch, then the war effort and AQ gate opening would never happen...pretty huge part of vanilla, just not existing? Yeah, no, that ain't happening.

It's still an official release in my eyes. Sort of.

Progression would be the preferable way to release content, however.

If Blizzard jumps into 1.12 (Naxxramus) directly, it's going to chaotic for sure. Progression will be fast, and people who have more time will get max equipment and will be PVP'in the hell out of everyone else. Which will not be very fun for everyone else on PVP servers.

I'd play, but probably wouldn't stay, since it would be gimped with a gross imbalance, with regard to character development.

If Blizzard released DM, MC, BWL, AQ20, AQ40, and Naxx all at one, I'd say it's just because Activision runs the show here

Not entirely; you might get your classic-game, but i doubt that we will see classic-servers, especially with the expected curve we will see. I think that blizzard will introduce sharded server from the beginning; there might be multiple server, but connected to each other and sharded in the beginning, simply because there are expected to have a lot of players when it gets released, but afterwards the curve will definitively go down.

10+ Year Old Account
    Reading the comments here and it is hilarious seeing the amount of players who have obviously never played vanilla commenting as if they understand how raiding worked back then...

This isnt retail. This isn’t a private server. There are no catch up mechanics or custom exp bonuses or paid max characters. Content didn’t become “irrelevant” in vanilla and tbc. Gearing was nothing like todays where you log in after a content patch get geared in 4-5 days max and never touch the old raids again. There were giant questlines that took you BACK into old raids to unlock that tiers content. There were BIS items from various bosses throughout every raid. There’s a true progression scale too. You don’t just skip mc or bwl because you got the shit zg “tier” set lol.
    Classes/Specs: Retribution Paladin, Outlaw Rogue, Frost Mage, Destruction Warlock.

Vanilla veteran of both factions since '04. Former high end player, now casually playing simply to keep up with the lore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracerz07 View Post
    Reading the comments here and it is hilarious seeing the amount of players who have obviously never played vanilla commenting as if they understand how raiding worked back then...

This isnt retail. This isn’t a private server. There are no catch up mechanics or custom exp bonuses or paid max characters. Content didn’t become “irrelevant” in vanilla and tbc. Gearing was nothing like todays where you log in after a content patch get geared in 4-5 days max and never touch the old raids again. There were giant questlines that took you BACK into old raids to unlock that tiers content. There were BIS items from various bosses throughout every raid. There’s a true progression scale too. You don’t just skip mc or bwl because you got the shit zg “tier” set lol.
    People are also FAR better than they were back then too. You're not wrong, but the increase in skill of the general playerbase will make it so that gearing won't be as strict as it was back then. In Mythics now all 20 of your players have to be rock solid or they can wipe the group. In Vanilla 40 mans you needed maybe 25 solid players and the rest could just be shitters and you could still get by. People are undoubtedly going to progress far faster than they did back in the day due to the increase of resources and information as well as the increase of skill in the general playerbase.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    People are also FAR better than they were back then too. You're not wrong, but the increase in skill of the general playerbase will make it so that gearing won't be as strict as it was back then. In Mythics now all 20 of your players have to be rock solid or they can wipe the group. In Vanilla 40 mans you needed maybe 25 solid players and the rest could just be shitters and you could still get by. People are undoubtedly going to progress far faster than they did back in the day due to the increase of resources and information as well as the increase of skill in the general playerbase.
    Fair point. But the general base for Classic are not mythic raiders. It's the pirated Server crowd and people who left during Vanilla or BC. They are not used to the higher difficulty current WoW has compared to the old days. And while the people who play on those illegal Servers are ahead of the curve so to speak, most players are not. Even players from current WoW will have to adjust to many old mechanics.

So i will not judge the content progression by the 1% but by the average player. And they will not rush in a few weeks through Naxx.
    Last edited by Enrif; 2018-08-21 at 02:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    While that is true it still doesn’t stop the barriers for entry that can’t be brute forces:

The fact there’s no LFG or queable content to get geared fast, having to do Atunnements, like 4 items dropping per boss kill after you’re actually attuned with 40 players, and the necessity of resistance gear. Also again the fact players have best in slot gear that requires almost every raid to be defeated(legendaries and class quest items). Don’t expect it to all be steamrolled.

You’re going to see people like method roll through it but your average retail player truly won’t be able to handle this. I’m in one of the US top guilds and players are bitching about doing the easiest shit like mandatory quests for King rest and siege of boralus lol. ������

Modern players don’t want an mmo, they want a dungeon crawler with as little time sink as possible which is absolutely on the other end of the spectrum of vanilla. I’m willing to bet most modern(anyone who started around cataclysm->) players won’t make it past 60 before it becomes too much of a time sink. But that’s another topic.
    Classes/Specs: Retribution Paladin, Outlaw Rogue, Frost Mage, Destruction Warlock.

Vanilla veteran of both factions since '04. Former high end player, now casually playing simply to keep up with the lore.