Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    This argument could be made about Black people and it would be equally fucked up. You're generalizing an entire group because of a minority. Something isn't right with you man.
    Imagine thinking that black people are on the same level of disability as a schizophrenic or a psycho.

Quote Originally Posted by Safol View Post
    Imagine thinking that black people are on the same level of disability as a schizophrenic or a psycho.
    Imagine focusing on one point and ignoring the fact people generalize both groups. That's why they're an example I brought up.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

10+ Year Old Account
    There's nothing wrong with being afraid. We are wired to distrust anything not like ourselves. The problem comes when you act on those fears and make poor decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    Who's more likely to be a school shooter? An outgoing jock who parties with his friends or a depressed loner who contemplates suicide every day?
    It can be dangerous to assume that mass shooters are automatically mentally ill. More often than not they have normal brains and just choose to kill people.

After Columbine, the media went with a narrative that portrayed the shooters as bullied loners. In reality, if anything the shooters were the bullies. They weren't tormented outsiders longing to belong. They just wanted to kill for fun.

Imagine focusing on one point and ignoring the fact people generalize both groups. That's why they're an example I brought up.
    People with schizophrenia or psychosis is pretty different from black people though. It affects the way they perceive and react to the world.

Schizophrenics are more likely to be violent? Not exactly surprising. What are we to do about it though, given that the right to fear isn't under discussion?

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    You have thousands upon thousands of mentally ill individuals (such as incels and 4chaners)
    This way of picturing "4chaners" is dreadfully remindful of this:

I thought this was going to be a Tsugunai thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinro View Post
    People with schizophrenia or psychosis is pretty different from black people though. It affects the way they perceive and react to the world.
    And that is still not what I'm talking about. You're arguing something that isn't there.

And that is still not what I'm talking about. You're arguing something that isn't there.
    How is it not? You were talking about how people are generalizing and compared it to how people generalize black people. Being black doesn't disturb your thought process, it doesn't make you think people are going to kill you, it doesn't make you act out in belief you are defending yourself, it doesn't make you think you are a god, it doesn't make you think you are saving the world, it doesn't make you think they're talking about you on the news.

How is it not? You were talking about how people are generalizing and compared it to how people generalize black people. Being black doesn't disturb your thought process, it doesn't make you think people are going to kill you, it doesn't make you act out in belief you are defending yourself, it doesn't make you think you are a god, it doesn't make you think you are saving the world, it doesn't make you think they're talking about you on the news.
    What the fuck are you on about? The only thing I said is it's bad to generalize people. That's literally all my argument was.

Quote Originally Posted by Safol View Post
    It's not a great metaphor. But I can think of one thing black people and mentally ill people have in common: they're both more likely to be targeted by authorities.

What the fuck are you on about? The only thing I said is it's bad to generalize people. That's literally all my argument was.
    It's bad to generalize on basis of physical characteristics, yes. It's not bad to generalize people who have a common illness that disturbs their thought process, because, their thought processes are disturbed. One is not like the other. One affects behavior, one does not.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Huulo View Post
    It's not a great metaphor. But I can think of one thing black people and mentally ill people have in common: they're both more likely to be targeted by authorities.
    They are both also more heavily represented in violence statistics. Correlation, perhaps

It's bad to generalize on basis of physical characteristics, yes. It's not bad to generalize people who have a common illness that disturbs their thought process, because, their thought processes are disturbed.
    Thinking every mentally ill person is gonna snap and try to kill you is bad. The majority do not do this.

What people have a problem with isn't that you're afraid that someone with a mental disability might be violent - it's that you're afraid of ALL people with mental health issues, which is a generalization and stereotypization in very broad strokes.

The comparison to people of color is fairly apt, as that, too, is a very broad generalization and is problematic primarily because of that, and not of the fact that some members of that demographic are in fact violent (as are some members of basically any demographic you pick).

You can turn that all around, too, and ask "why do people have a problem if I'm afraid of white people?" - which I'm sure to you sounds somewhat ridiculous, but is statistically about as sound as fear of other generalizations (i.e. not all that much).

By the way, what's behind those statistics is usually also some form of generalization and/or discrimination, because even if you have accurate numbers, they don't make that much sense intrinsically. It's only when COMPARISON enters into it that they acquire their relative value, i.e. saying something like "0.2% of black people are violent" doesn't mean much until you put it in the (usually implied) comparison of "0.1% of white people are violent, therefore blacks are twice as violent as whites" (all numbers totally made up for the sake of comparison). So what you are really saying is "people X are more/less violent than people Y", with one of the two usually being the group the speaker belongs to. Thus what is portrayed as just making 'a neutral assessment based on statistics' is actually just an attempt to differentiate your own group from some other group, and, usually, to elevate your own group's perceived self-worth relative to another group.
    In essence, if you're saying "I'm afraid of group A, and that's okay because they're often violent" what you really MEAN is "group A isn't worth as much as my own group/my own group is better/worth more than group A". And THAT is what people have a problem with; understandably so, I dare say, since the worth of human individuals cannot and must not be reduced to such oversimplified comparisons.

Thinking every mentally ill person is gonna snap and try to kill you is bad. The majority do not do this.
    What was mentioned was specifically schizophrenia and psychosis, not all mentally ill people.

Quote Originally Posted by Howeller View Post
    They are both also more heavily represented in violence statistics. Correlation, perhaps
    It's not just a 'perhaps' it's a fact. They are correlated. Not the strongest correlation, but still a correlation!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    It's not just a 'perhaps' it's a fact. They are correlated. Not the strongest correlation, but still a correlation!
    Well, I never work in absolutes, that's for the Sith to do

What was mentioned was specifically schizophrenia and psychosis, not all mentally ill people.
    The OP mentions "mentally ill" as a whole multiple times so that's what I'm referencing to. I'm simply against OP's messed up argument.

So in your opinion every mentally ill person is a homicidal, mass murdering, killing machine? I bet you think every black person ever is a thief, every hispanic is an illegal immigrant, and every person with a gun is going to shoot someone maliciously too, yeah?