Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by meroko View Post
    This x 1000%

You're suppose to feel weaker. It's been that way since the game started. Lol
    This is patently false. Your relative power did not get weaker. If a mob was level 50 and you hit it as level 50, that same level 50 mob would be weaker when you came to hit it again at level 53 for various reasons. Now if you level up and go to that same mob, it too has leveled to 53 all the while your own relative power to it has grown weaker.

The only way you can say that "It's been this way since the game started" would be that you consider game having started in Legion.

This obnoxious all-encompassing scaling is one of the main things I've critiqued since start of the Legion as it alters the dynamic of leveling entirely and undermines the sense of progression you might otherwise have, eg. if I wanna push harder higher level quests I could, if I felt weaker then I'd take on lower level quests and mobs until passive benefits from leveling up overcomes the perceived difficulty.

This is simply not true anymore at this point and time and it'd be very easy to fix too by having zones lock to a certain level range after you select them and then only scale world quests up once you get to them.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    Up to 116 as a prot pally. Probably dont notice this as a tank, I'm able to pull upwards of 12 enemies without going below 3/4 health.

I felt this already in Legion when the scaling was first introduced. It's funny how power surges once you hit 120 and the mobs no longer rise alongside you (especially later on with BoE gear alts get from main), but yeah, leveling doesn't feel good as it is. I'd go as far as calling it discouraging, as I had 7 characters at lvl 100 during WoD, but only bothered to get three to 110 during Legion, and one of them was because I made him my new main. I imagine I'll sit on two characters at 120 (one Horde, one Alliance) for quite some time before I get another alt up there.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    I must say I really like the new zones. Quest are well made, graphic design, music and atmosphere are awesome. Everything should be cool but to me the leveling never felt worse and I started playing in beta.
    The problem is that my character gets weaker every level. The enemies scale with me, so nothing changes except that I am losing things (e.g. old trinket proccs and legendary effects) and that my % for anything like crit etc. goes down.
    Leveling should feel rewarding but this time it feels punishing. I think instead of leveling this time they should have simply used achievements to track to progress or something similar, so that is at least does not feel as punishing as it does now,
    but this was in legion as well right? Or is it worse in bfa because of something i missed? Anyway, I had the same thing, ofcourse legendary's not working anymore, but eventually i went blood (was playing as unholy) cause i did the same damage, and i could atleast pull massive groups like I want to!

Wanted to play warlock as well, but im pretty doubtfull as i leveld as tank now :P

But I do agree, zones are awesome! and some really funny quests as well

Edit: But I must add that you shouldnt feel way too powerfull already when you ding 120 ... your gear is gonna be so much better, one-shotting mobs now, will make future wq a joke.
    Last edited by mmoc11ec27eeb0; 2018-08-15 at 08:22 AM.

The only issue I have really had from going from 110 to 120 is the quests. Many of the quests are scattered and I feel like at some points you get so man "Go here" Quests. I feel it kinda messes with the story alittle. As a person who loves to get the achieves for each zone, I feel it's a bit weird to have everything so scattered. In Legion, It wasn't so bad. You had the main quest, which took you through everything you needed for the achieve, with a few side quests here and there. It felt like a true story. Sadly for the Alliance side (I just started the horde) I felt like so much of the story was scattered. I got done with the whole Proudmore questline and didn't realize it. I sat there thinking.. "Wait.. That's it?" Maybe I just picked the wrong zone to start..

Originally I had issues killing things so I went prot which helped. However now I’m around 321 ilvl from heroic spam and a few mythic dungeons with guildies and honestly everything feels really good now. I quest as ret and I’m fine 100% of the time even with big pulls and shit dies pretty quick.

I do agree that getting weaker each level is bad, now that I’m at 120 with some gear everything feels good to me barring my personal concerns with class design. It’s just the initial leveling that felt bad due to a plethora of reasons like losing legendaries, stat scaling, etc.

I leveled in a 5 man group though so I didn’t really notice anything too specific. The loss of legendaries from 110-116 was very noticeable to me and once I got to 120 I had some issues initially but it wasn’t anything terrible.

TLDR: Leveled with 4 other people so didn’t really notice it too much but it was definitely there. Loss of legendaries was a big reason, stat scaling is another big reason. If I were leveling alone it definitely would’ve taken me a lot longer and would’ve been more tedious. It didn’t feel good getting weaker each level but I’m glad that these issues aren’t relavent for too long, once you get gear you’re gucci.
    Last edited by Thestuff1992; 2018-08-15 at 08:37 AM.

Herald of the Titans Drunkenfinn's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Eh, I boosted a character to 110 on release and I've felt a pretty steady power-progression from going from the ilvl170 greens into ilvl200+ greens/blues and azerite gear.

Unless there's an unbelievable ramp-up from 118 to 120, I've yet to experience an issue. The only real difference I noticed is that when you mass pull, if you really overdo it, you might actually die now - as it should be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    I must say I really like the new zones. Quest are well made, graphic design, music and atmosphere are awesome. Everything should be cool but to me the leveling never felt worse and I started playing in beta.
    The problem is that my character gets weaker every level. The enemies scale with me, so nothing changes except that I am losing things (e.g. old trinket proccs and legendary effects) and that my % for anything like crit etc. goes down.
    Leveling should feel rewarding but this time it feels punishing. I think instead of leveling this time they should have simply used achievements to track to progress or something similar, so that is at least does not feel as punishing as it does now,
    Please never get into game design.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpcat View Post
    I'm having a blast, the best times I've had in a new expansion so far and I've played all.
    If you had 50% crit at 110, do you expect it to be 80% at 120 or something? Of course the stats will go down, that's how it works and always worked and will work. I don't understand this argument.. You are supposed to be a weak scrub in greens/blues when you fresh hit 115-120, what's the surprise here?
    It's not about scaling. It never was. Getting weaker by scaling was compensated by getting stronger via talents or artifact traits in Legion and eventually acquiring legendaries.

In BfA you neither have new talents nor legendaries at max level. There's basically no class progression. It feels really bad on 115 when you lose your legendaries and on 120 when you've lost almost everything that made you stronger or your class exciting.

Azerite as a progression system fails due to various reasons (several pieces locked behind Heart of Azeroth level, traits are incredibly dull, no new talent row, no legendaries, no secondary class development etc).

The gameplay factually is worse on 120 than it was on 110-115. And there's almost nothing to compensate that. That's the major design flaw of BfA.

Character progression each expansion was a parable. You started high, got low and then got high again. In BfA it's a downward curve. You start high and get low, lower, lowest.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

If there was anything to fix, it'd be the PvP aspect of player scaling while leveling, as it's really easy to kill a 120 when you're lvl 115 or below. It's not an easy fix, but I can certainly say the stats squish and mechanical changes exacerbated the problem.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Well that has far more to do with them overdoing character power in Legion than anything. Imagine if they actually had let us use multiple legendaries like so many of us wanted, it would have been horrid.
    You're right on that but it's still a major design flaw they should have overcome better. The way it is now is possibly the worst they could have done this.

In Legion they gave us too much, in BfA they give us... nothing. But that's Blizzard's pendulum swinging from one extreme to the other without landing in the middle.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Honestly it feels more natural that the last levels should be harder than the first few, if you compare with before world and mob scaling when you went through different zones as you got higher level it always became harder in terms of quests and mobs so the scaling should match that somewhat since you can choose leveling paths now.

"Oh no,things are too hard for me,NERF them,mobs are too op." - now;
    "GG Blizzard,I can one shot everything,where is the challenge?Noob and scrub contest,game is too casual and noob friendly..." - incoming after 1 month.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaeth View Post
    Wow. We're almost seven pages into this thread, and you and several others still can't get it through your heads that this isn't about the start-of-expac "power reset."

It's about inverted difficulty scaling, because the world scales with you, but also scales faster than you. Kill a mob, level up, his friends are now twice as hard. Remember the broken level scaling in Elder Scrolls: Oblivion? That.
    No, it's not the same. You people can't diferentiate the leveling from the max level content. Yes, it's a power reset. Your stats go down in rating and mob hp goes up, that is why stuff feels tougher.

Once you get to lvl120 and gear yourself, you roflstomp the mobs again. That is WoW and it's how it worked since the very first expansion. Not even traits in Legion make a blimp towards it. You felt stronger in Legion or any other expansion? I don't buy that. It felt exactly the same and it's not cause you got a trait that said "10% more damage on your basic skill" that somehow it was stronger than it was intended to be. Those "traits" are right there in BfA, baked into your skill damage. You just didn't have to click a button to get them.

There is no way around it, you will always feel weaker at the end of leveling, that is the point of a power reset.

Now, if you mean, we don't get a progression toy like a new talent to make it all worth it, sure, i agree, it's not a good feeling. But, Legion was no different and until that is acknowledged, i just can't agree with the senseless crying.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemmar View Post
    No, it's not the same. You people can't diferentiate the leveling from the max level content. Yes, it's a power reset. Your stats go down in rating and mob hp goes up, that is why stuff feels tougher.

Once you get to lvl120 and gear yourself, you roflstomp the mobs again. That is WoW and it's how it worked since the very first expansion. Not even traits in Legion make a blimp towards it. You felt stronger in Legion or any other expansion? I don't buy that. It felt exactly the same and it's not cause you got a trait that said "10% more damage on your basic skill" that somehow it was stronger than it was intended to be. Those "traits" are right there in BfA, baked into your skill damage. You just didn't have to click a button to get them.

There is no way around it, you will always feel weaker at the end of leveling, that is the point of a power reset.

Now, if you mean, we don't get a progression toy like a ew talent to make it all worth it, sure, i agree, it's not a good feeling. But,Legion was no different and until that is acknowledged, i just can't agree with the senseless crying.
    I understand where you are coming from - and yes, the power curve plugs itself back at max-level - but you are wrong in one aspect: it was not the same before, it was only the same in Legion.

You say - "Your stats go down in rating and mob hp goes up, that is why stuff feels tougher." - it's only with Legion that mob hp started to scale up to you. Before Legion mob hp (and damage) stayed the same and you were electing voluntarily to go fight *other* mobs with higher hp. If you were fighting in the same area / zone, leveling up was making you stronger (roughly speaking, I omit many details, there were factors going both ways), whereas now leveling up makes you strictly weaker because it's not just a loss of secondary percentages, it's mobs scaling up automatically and universally while your scaling up is supposed to be manual, achieved by you doing things to get better gear.

Whether this is worth splitting hair about is debatable. If I could go back to the old behavior where mobs wouldn't scale up with me, but would be turning green and then gray, I would. This is also significant enough for me to make me not want to level alts (more than usual). It does not ruin the game completely, I agree. But it is rather unpleasant and it was better before, in my opinion.
    Last edited by rda; 2018-08-15 at 09:18 AM.

I'd rather they got rid of the scaling. Zones should be x level, the zone you just plowed through shouldn't get harder as you level. That's ridiculous. it completely eliminates the core idea of an rpg.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xires View Post
    I disagree. You are going from end game raid gear and loaded with stats....to no stats and no raid gear. You are essentially..starting over. That has been how it has always felt save for the original vanilla experience but only because you started from lvl1.
    Leveling has always made you feel weaker, because with every level..you lose stats and you great gear is replaced with green and blue gear.

I think this is the best it has been. They tried to make it feel like a more vanilla feel in many cases.
    True we are starting with end game raid gear and loaded with stats but we actually get BETTER gear from quests / drops so it feels really bad ending up at a worse state in 120 then a fresh lvl 1 char.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by meroko View Post
    You're suppose to feel weaker. It's been that way since the game started. Lol
    not true since vanilla you grew in strength when you leveled and nothing in a starting area would attack you at ie level 30,
    now with the scaling the powergrowth is reduced to happening at max level only sadly.

Field Marshal
    7+ Year Old Account
    I like it, having a lot of fun