Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by -aiko- View Post
    It's bullshit. There is no reason a career should be ended because of something as simple as an inappropriate joke.
    Your being dishonest James Gunn was literally talking about fucking kids and most of the people who get fired go beyond jokes. Roseanne was twitting conspiracy about the Muslim Brotherhood and Clinton's for years before her finally tweet.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    What happened to being the side of personal responsibility? Blaming others doesn't sound like personal responsibility.
    It's only ok if you ruin their lives and livelihood, declare them contemptible human beings with no redeeming qualities, and subject them to a life of cruelty and indignity that they can't escape from over actions they've committed due to ignorance, desperation, or a lapse of judgement.

Wait, we're talking about the prison system here, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Dendrek View Post
    It's only ok if you ruin their lives and livelihood, declare them contemptible human beings with no redeeming qualities, and subject them to a life of cruelty and indignity that they can't escape from over actions they've committed due to ignorance, desperation, or a lapse of judgement.

Wait, we're talking about the prison system here, right?
    If someone says so degenerative things and they get fired where is the personal responsibility. James Gunn is left leaning and he was being creepy as fuck on twitter. I wouldn't let him work for my company and I encourage that freedom.

Bell's Palsy, certainly at a glance.

Quote Originally Posted by Invictae View Post
    I'm a 33 year old white male. Somehow I have manage to make it through my entire life without saying something racist and stupid, not even in the heat of the moment in like a CoD match or something. I have done this using the amazing power of thinking before I say something. It's actually easier than saying something stupid because it involves not moving my mouth to produce speech.

If you say something stupid and offensive then you deal with the repercussions.
    I say racist shit all the time but only in a private with friends, I trust. We are all different races and roast the shit out of each about it. I don't use slurs but we go for stereotypes.

I've never said anything racist at my work place or in public, it's not hard because I know not everyone wants to hear it. If I'm at targets, I don't want to hear about how the darkies are ruining the country not sure how anyone else would either.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    I find it hard to believe that you've never said or done anything that - were the moment caught on film and posted for all the strangers of the world to see - would be seen as poor behavior.

Hell, I know I have. We all have. I'm sure YOU haven't, though. :|
    I've never been because I have trustworthy friends. I also don't get personal at work, It's honestly not that hard.
    Last edited by Varvara Spiros Gelashvili; 2018-08-15 at 01:36 PM.

Here's the problem for a business with an employee that has one of these "lapses in judgement." If the employee is kept on then it looks like the business is supporting the conduct. This in turn means less business because customers may not want to give money to a firm they see as condoning that kind of behavior. And the PR push necessary to get over the incident is going to cost a lot of money upfront as well as the opportunity costs from the reduced revenue in the interim, and that's just to get back to normal revenue. And there will be at least a few people that will stop purchasing from the business entirely so there will still be at least a small operating loss.

The C/B is pretty clear on this from an administrative perspective.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    The whole issue is because "people".

The "racist NYTimes person" was replying to racist tweets with her own racist tweets to spin it on its head, but the context was lost and people just saw "an woman of Asian descent being racist", but she keeps her job because context and apoogies.
    When a director of a large franchise has "insensitive humor" tweets from several years ago surface, done specifically to get a rise out of people because shock humor is a thing, he loses his job.
    It's situational at best.

The internet exacerbates this.
    People leap before looking, judge without context, and are simply salivating at the thought of destroying someone who's on a social pedestal of some form, just to see them crash and burn.
    Even day to day, people just want to tear others down, even if they are on the same level or below them.
    Instead of looking at things reasonably, some people just want to jump to the worst possible case.
    Instead of treating all people with the same consideration, irrational judgments are concluded without all the facts.

What they think: Did you say something insensitive? Well, you don't deserve to redeem yourself! Ha! Enjoy the gutter!
    What they mean: I am covering up my own insecurities and projecting them onto others to destroy them to make myself feel better.

People should not be easily fired over something they said or posted on social media in the way James Gunn was for example. Employees deserve better protection than that, the US system to me is pretty insane. Losing your livelihood and a large part of your social life, which work often is, is in many cases a more serious sanction than being fined or short prison times, it should not be done lightly. Fortunately there are better protections in place in the EU.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    What happened to being the side of personal responsibility? Blaming others doesn't sound like personal responsibility.
    You tell me who's blaming who. I was merely saying that internet crusades has become the left's superpower (which it has), and that they won't be willing to let that go any time soon.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by beedeehee View Post
    You tell me who's blaming who. I was merely saying that internet crusades has become the left's superpower (which it has), and that they won't be willing to let that go any time soon.
    You were very clearly blaming the "lefties" in that post.

If lefties stopped ruining lives here and there,
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by pionock View Post
    I think I've figured out who you are. All the burners with a signature "th" in the name. You're Axelhander. The tone, the general vitriol, it all screams Axel. So hello @Axelhander!
    @Axelhander is back!? Sweet!

I can't wait to see how they dig themselves into a ban this time!

Deleted
    It’s hard to have your life ruined if you don’t get involved with stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa Bannon View Post
    Bell's Palsy, certainly at a glance.
    Hopefully the Democrats will be smart enough to not make a face ad.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanstos View Post
    Im seeing it all over the place. People do something very stupid, like call the cops on kids selling water or, someone going off on a racist rant, and it would be one thing to have that person reprimanded. After all freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequences right?

But killing off their entire businesses or having them fired from a career? Do you guys think thats appropriate?

This doxing has to stop. Its outrageous. Some of these people lost their businesses and are struggling.

Imagine if you will a moment where you were at your worst. I mean HORRIBLE and someone recorded it. Should you suffer for possibly the rest of your life over this one lapse of judgement?

Maybe im the only one who feels that way. I just dont think the punishment fits the crime. Im Hispanic and im making this thread after coming back and seeing a racist woman go off on Mexican workers. I didn't like what she did one bit, she was a disgusting POS but her and her kids shouldn't starve because of it.
    Depends on what happens. Some of these things are way worse than a siple lapse of judgement.

Here is a quote from The Tower of the Swallow (4th Witcher book, 1997), that explains this situation perfectly:

“You should know, sir witcher,” the governor continued after a short pause, “that I've promised myself that the law will prevail in this region.
    At any cost and by any means, per fas et nefas. Because the law is not the jurisprudence, not a thick book full of paragraphs of philosophical treatises, no driveling fantasies of justice, no hackneyed phrases of morality and ethics.
    The law is safe highways and roads. You can walk safely through the streets in this city, even after dark. You can go to the lavatory in the inns and taverns and leave your purse and wife at the table. The law is the quiet sleep of people who are sure that they will be awakened by the crowing of the cock, not the red rooster!
    And for those who break the law – the rope, the hatchet, and the red-hot iron! A punishment that deters others.
    Those who break the law have to take their punishment. With all available means and methods…

Hey, witcher! I can see disapproval painted on your face; do you dislike my methods or their targets?
    I think the methods! Because the methods are easy to criticize, but do you want to live in a safe world or not? Well, answer!”

“I have nothing to say.”
    “I think you do.”
    “I, Lord Fulk,” said Geralt calmly, “even like the world you’re envisioning and imagining.”
    “Really? Your face is evidence of something else.”

“The world in your imagination is the perfect world for a witcher. It will never lack work for a witcher.
    Instead of law books, paragraphs, and driveling fantasies of justice, your world brings lawlessness, anarchy, despotism, the selfishness of petty kings and autocrats, the overzealousness of careerists who wish to win favor with their superiors, the blind vengeance of fanatics, the cruelty of vigilante justice, and revenge, sadistic revenge.
    Your vision is a world of fear, where people fear to leave their houses after dark – not for fear of bandits, but of the guardians of the law, because large-scale bandit hunts always lead to the fact that the bandits join the ranks of law enforcement en bloc.
    Your vision is a world of bribery and the provocation of the press, a world of witnesses and false witnesses. A world of spying and forced confessions. Denunciation and fear of denunciation.
    And, inevitably, the day will come in your world when the wrong person has their breast torn out with pincers, and innocent people will be hanged or impaled. And, then, it will be a world of crime. In short,” he concluded, “a world in which a witcher would feel like a fish in water.”

wow, people are messed up, how do you go from a neutral question like "which do you like best, apples or oranges?" to "politics. this, that, left, right, center, bla bla".
    those people even think they are actually engaging in actual politics in this manner.
    Be passionate about the craft, achievements, events and community.
    But do not worship the machine, pedestal nor system.
    You cannot afford to be blind, for yourself and others.

i cant wait for Louis CK's new special to drop

idc when it comes out

it will be amazing