Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Re4leader1 View Post
    Be glad you dont live in Califonia. If your commute is only an hour each way your doing pretty good. 2hr 100miles each way daily commutes is sadly very common here
    I grew up in around Tustin and El Torro and go back all the time. Anybody making that type of commute chose it though. Also a 100 mile trip even if that is the round trip length isn't the norm. As you get away from LA things like that don't happen either. Somebody in Chico isn't taking more then 20 minutes to get to work.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Real life over games. Easy.

If anything, being busy and having stuff to do makes me appreciate my gaming time more.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Quote Originally Posted by chubbybunny View Post
    Caffine pills and energy drink, sleep is for the weak, I'll sleep enough when i'm dead.....
    Not sure what caffine is, but if you don't sleep enough now you will be taking that long nap a bit earlier then you might have hoped for.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    I just... don't see how people can manage. Maybe that's where I "fell out of love" with WoW (or at least, stopped playing regularly). Work is exhausting enough, and playing WoW just also feels like more work. Like... even if you just accept that you're not going to try and Raid, it feels like everything else is gated with daily or weekly lockouts. Even farming for transmog-gear, something I used to LOVE doing, I've been doing that for years now, and I have basically everything that I *really* want. I'm still missing some mounts and some transmog gear, but I feel like I already have all of "the good stuff", giving very little for me to actually do by myself.

I dunno. Curious how you folks handle the balancing act.
    If you've got a commute, friends, kids, any other hobbies or interests (including exercise), etc., the answer is "very poorly".

If you don't have or can cut some of that, things change quite rapidly. For example, if you work from home, cutting out a commute, you have probably saved yourself 1-2 hours a day.

I used to work 40-hour weeks and raid, but it was because I worked nights, so wasn't able to see friends except on weekends anyway, and despite being in Europe, raided in the US (I only had a ping of 80-100 - not great, but good enough for non-Mythic certainly). It wasn't much fun though.

Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    Real life over games. Easy.

If anything, being busy and having stuff to do makes me appreciate my gaming time more.
    This is true, generally, so long as the "busy" isn't just commuting or the like. If you have more to do in your life you typically feel happier, and even if you don't raid, you likely have a better time doing whatever you're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Alvito View Post
    Not sure what caffine is, but if you don't sleep enough now you will be taking that long nap a bit earlier then you might have hoped for.
    Should have put /sarcasm in the post somewhere..

I'm retired so i get nagged for 40 hours a week by the wife, but i do get game time during the day to play when she's all nagged out and asleep recharging her nag-batteries..

Deleted
    Real talk in mmo-champ? Yeah, right... well lets try anyway.

My take on it? You can't, it's impossible. The people that manage are either students, unemployed or, like me, who have another kind of income (property rent in my case, dunno if thats how you call it english).

And then, there's family, but that's a choice. Like I said on another thread... personally, video games are my life so chose them over family.

Quote Originally Posted by Mortarion View Post
    Real talk in mmo-champ? Yeah, right... well lets try anyway.

My take on it? You can't, it's impossible. The people that manage are either students, unemployed or, like me, who have another kind of income (property rent in my case, dunno if thats how you call it english).

And then, there's family, but that's a choice. Like I said on another thread... personally, video games are my life so chose them over family.
    Why do you think you can't? Honest question here. I've never felt like it was an issue and I've been a working adult for 12+ years at this point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lack of sleep seems to help.

i usually can spend from 18:00 to 02:00 palying. of that time window I play maybe a couple of hours. of course, since I cant find a guild in my server that raids 2 or 3 nights a week I dont usually have much to do after leveling so I play even less unless I have something to work for.

In the end I think the important thing is to focus to get the most out of your time.

As many have said, you can't.

You can play as a hobby to spend time here and then, as a "filthy" causual. If you enjoy hard-core raiding or PvP just forget about it, you can enjoy the entire game by playing only one character and doing LFR and other random queues, in addition to the normal leveling experience of course. It's still soothing and it helps with stress.

As a 40+ hour worker here, and with friends... I get to play like 1-2 hours at least 2-3 days a week and I'm still able to catch up with the story and do some LFR wings.

I'd recommend not signing up to a raiding guild, unless you seriously enjoy it, it is a burden that really takes away your peace when you are short of time.

Just take it easy and enjoy it. It's just a game after all.
    Last edited by javierdsv; 2018-08-15 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    its simple - they dont.

all those stories how people succesfully combine high end wow with good social life and work ? fake like fuck - maybe 0,0001 % is real.

rest are just combining jobs like flipping burgers with wow .

welcome to adoult life - where you do lfr not because its amazing but because you are simply to tired from work to focus enough for anything else.
    You say that, but I’m a teacher.

I put 40 hours of work in a week, and then another 30-40 of my own time on commute/planning/constructing/reviewing/marking I don’t get paid for. After factoring in another eight hours for sleep, that still gives me 30-40 hours per week free time. FAR more than enough for an active dating/sex life, social life, responsibilities (such as cleaning/cooking/groceries), and to raid lead two nights a week in Heroic/Mythic raids.

The secret is to not be a dipshit, and be responsible about scheduling and managing your time.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

Quote Originally Posted by chubbybunny View Post
    Should have put /sarcasm in the post somewhere..

I'm retired so i get nagged for 40 hours a week by the wife, but i do get game time during the day to play when she's all nagged out and asleep recharging her nag-batteries..
    Oh I was sure you were screwing around as was I.

Deleted
    Work 40h a week, married, raid 2 days a week, got CE for all raids last expansion in a world top 1000 guild.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    I just... don't see how people can manage. Maybe that's where I "fell out of love" with WoW (or at least, stopped playing regularly). Work is exhausting enough, and playing WoW just also feels like more work. Like... even if you just accept that you're not going to try and Raid, it feels like everything else is gated with daily or weekly lockouts. Even farming for transmog-gear, something I used to LOVE doing, I've been doing that for years now, and I have basically everything that I *really* want. I'm still missing some mounts and some transmog gear, but I feel like I already have all of "the good stuff", giving very little for me to actually do by myself.

I dunno. Curious how you folks handle the balancing act.
    I honestly cannot see how you couldn't these days, the game basically throws gear at you, there are no ridiculous attunements, rep grinds, or anything like that from back in the day. The game is pretty much a 1 player game with mmo-like elements added here and there at this point, meaning you can pick up where you left off np. Even raiding can be done on a mythic level with minimal time investment, plenty of 2 day guilds out there requiring a whole 8 hours a week of game time.
    You asked a question and I gave you the answer. You might not agree with or fully understand the answer, but, it is correct because of reasons.”

Quote Originally Posted by Atraxxa View Post
    I honestly cannot see how you couldn't these days, the game basically throws gear at you, there are no ridiculous attunements, rep grinds, or anything like that from back in the day. The game is pretty much a 1 player game with mmo-like elements added here and there at this point, meaning you can pick up where you left off np. Even raiding can be done on a mythic level with minimal time investment, plenty of 2 day guilds out there requiring a whole 8 hours a week of game time.
    This has also been my experience - I'm investing probably 12 hours a week in WoW to raid mythic (mostly an AoTC guild) with no issue.

I don't understand the question? Take what you do outside of work, keep the necessities. Replace some of your leisure time with WoW. No issue. Sometimes I have 60 hour work weeks, it doesn't mean I need to see WoW as a job, I just spend less time on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Idyllsend View Post
    24h a day

-9 hours of sleep
    -3 hours of eating
    -10 hours of work

= 2 hours left

Play 2 hours a day, and some days just do other things.
    Do you actually eat 3 hours a day? Impressive.

I work 40 hours a week, I am newly married, and I still managed to maintain a work/life/gaming balance. I usually designated Tuesday nights to raiding and I did some daily stuff in the mornings while I had my morning coffee and breakfast. Sometimes I got a few hours in on the weekend. I still managed to raid at a heroic/mythic level and stay on top of stuff. I would say I played roughly 10 hours a week? It's definately doable.

I just play at nights or during the weekend. I even have time to workout.

I raid Mythic on weekends though

Quote Originally Posted by Softbottom View Post
    I work 40 hours a week, I am newly married, and I still managed to maintain a work/life/gaming balance. I usually designated Tuesday nights to raiding and I did some daily stuff in the mornings while I had my morning coffee and breakfast. Sometimes I got a few hours in on the weekend. I still managed to raid at a heroic/mythic level and stay on top of stuff. I would say I played roughly 10 hours a week? It's definately doable.
    Oh, I do that too, best time of the day somehow haha

Quote Originally Posted by ReVnX View Post
    I just play at nights or during the weekend. I even have time to workout.

I raid Mythic on weekends though

Oh, I do that too, best time of the day somehow haha
    Yea I always wake up earlier than my wife so I always did some daily stuff from like 6:30am-7:30ish then we would leave for work. Even if I did that 2-3 times a week I would get emissaries completed each week.