Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

I dont understand Draenei

So they crash land. What reason do they have for joining the alliance? Sure some night elves helped them, but was it really worth joining a faction that clashes blades against the horde? Its not like they have any reason to hate the horde either. Yeah you can say the orcs attacked them, but you know, the draenei is a people that are willing to forgive and they KNOW the orcs were corrupted by demon blood.

The second thing is the faction conflict. Do they ever fucking do anything? Velen is laughably pacifist. When has he EVER fought against a member of the horde? I actually dont remember. They are so pacifist infact that when the horde comes and massacres the very people that helped them and brought them into the alliance in the first place, they couldnt be bothered sending a single troop to help out even though their base is like A MILE AWAY.

It irks me because I seriously cannot understand why there were no draenei at the burning of teldrassil and why velen never contributes to the faction conflict. All he ever does is fight the legion. Smite some hordies maybe?
    An'u belore delen'na

They joined because Velen thought the Alliance would help the draenei against the Legion. It didn't really pan out that way with the draenei going to Argus largely on their own to defeat the Legion.

Why they stay after Legion? Because gameplay requires it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastor Gallywix View Post
    It irks me because I seriously cannot understand why there were no draenei at the burning of teldrassil and why velen never contributes to the faction conflict. All he ever does is fight the legion. Smite some hordies maybe?
    As others have said, the Draenei joined the Alliance partly because the Night Elf helped them, and partly because they were inspired by the tales of the Alliance fight against the Legion while being able to sense the Alliance's great courage ("Sensing the great courage in the Alliance, Velen and his followers pledged themselves to this noble faction"). Since then, the Draenei and the Alliance have gone through thick and thin, wars over wars - at certain time, the bond between them weren't enough and the Draenei were almost going to fly off (in Velen's short story), but in the end, they stuck together. The Alliance races are pretty friendly and supportive to each other, so I assume the Draenei doesn't really have anything against being part of the faction either. Their bond was again strengthened when the Alliance helped the Draenei to reclaim their former holdings from the Legion. So, to sum it up, they are still part of the Alliance because (1) they admired the courage of the members of the Alliance, (2) the relationship between Alliance races were pretty good - which led to strong bonds, bonds that can't be broken simply because they are in danger (in fact, given that Sylvanas Horde is aiming to take over entire Kalimdor, there are more reasons for them to stick with allies).

Secondly, they actually do participate in the war, even though it might not be as clear as it could be. The reason why they haven't taken a bigger role is because their resources were already depleted from the battle in "Legion" ("The night elves and the draenei were the only Alliance bastions on the continent who could offer a swift counter to a Horde incursion into Silithus, and the draenei’s resources had been depleted during the war against the Legion"). However, some of the Draenei - even though they are in danger of being invaded by the Horde themselves, still traveled to help in battle for Teldrassil (quoting "Elegy", "The draenei were hardly in a position to assist the beleaguered night elves, though some brave souls had traveled to do so"). Now, they are providing a place for NE refugee and participating in the Battle for Lordaeron, while Velen participated in meeting with other leaders of the Alliance to discuss strategy, like they did before the burning of Teldrassil.

All in all, they are doing something. They just couldn't do much because of lore handicap (wouldn't make much of a war if the Draenei just fly around and light beam Horde's force from the orbit, would it?), but they are trying to contribute as much as they can.
    Last edited by Qualia; 2018-08-16 at 12:38 AM.
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang
    Donnons le sang de guillotine
    Pour guerir la secheresse de la guillotine
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang.

honestly there isn't much reason for draenei to have gone either way unless velen had a vision and they needed race to even out the factions since they were putting blood elves on horde.

the thing about blood elves attacking them early on is a rather awkward bit since at that point those elves weren't alligned with the horde (assuming both quel'thalas and azuremyst isle are happening simultaneously)

I mean you could say similar things about other races... like Blood Elves being a part of the Horde.

The draenei are the compensation for high elves, which should've been Alliance in vanilla. The Horde should've had ogres from the beginning too. The night elves should've been neutral and so should have the draenei.

A few reasons.

Their ship was sabotaged by the Blood Elves. They even hunted the survivors down on Azuremyst and Bloodmyst. I am sure the Alliance told them the Blood Elves became allies with the Horde

The Night Elves being close by were some of the first ones to send aid the Draenei. I am also sure the Draenei were quick to learn about Grom drinking fel blood against and slaying the demigod of the Night Elves

The most obvious reason is that the Draenei would be pretty hesitant to allying with the race that committed genocide against their people. In fact, it would be completely unbelievable if they allied with the Horde

Uhm...Is this a serious question? The Draenei that crash landed in the Exodar are a handful of survivors of the of the near total genocide of their entire race by the Orcs.

There's an entire "highway" in Outland paved with the bones of the Draenei slaughtered by the "Horde".

Beyond that the Horde has in its ranks Undead, which light worshipers absolutely hate above all things, not to mention that the Horde doesn't practice any Light based religions except perhaps some of the Blood Elfs, who at the time when the Draenei arrived to Azeroth were ruled by Kael'thas and gang, a bunch that throw in its lot with the Legion.

The dominant religion in the Alliance is light worship, they have no Undead in their ranks, nor any Blood Elves or you know....Orcs.

10+ Year Old Account
    So they crash land. What reason do they have for joining the alliance? Sure some night elves helped them, but was it really worth joining a faction that clashes blades against the horde? Its not like they have any reason to hate the horde either. Yeah you can say the orcs attacked them, but you know, the draenei is a people that are willing to forgive and they KNOW the orcs were corrupted by demon blood.

The second thing is the faction conflict. Do they ever fucking do anything? Velen is laughably pacifist. When has he EVER fought against a member of the horde? I actually dont remember. They are so pacifist infact that when the horde comes and massacres the very people that helped them and brought them into the alliance in the first place, they couldnt be bothered sending a single troop to help out even though their base is like A MILE AWAY.

You do know that playable Draenei are survivors from a near-complete genocide committed by Orcs - the very same Horde that staged the first invasions of Azeroth - right?

Right? Please say you know that.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    They joined because Velen thought the Alliance would help the draenei against the Legion. It didn't really pan out that way with the draenei going to Argus largely on their own to defeat the Legion.

Why they stay after Legion? Because gameplay requires it.
    Same could be said about the Forsaken. Sylvanas thought the horde were stronger than the Alliance, and they would suit her goals to kill the Lich King. When he died, they were supposed to rejoin the Alliance. But the writers at blizzard gave a line for them "the alliance don't recognize our rights." So they stayed with the horde.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Good troll would bite the hook again

Would you choose a fraction that is led by the race that tried to wipe you and is working with another race that also tried to enslave/ kill you.
    Also spoiler alert lorewise they did send help to save the tree, they just appently arrived too late. And this war would be suddenly over so quick if that damn space ship showed up to help

5+ Year Old Account
    Because if Draenei were ever properly written into the faction war it would be over before it began.

Outside of divine entities I don't think there is any military force on Azeroth that compares to the draenei/lightforged; navy doesn't mean shit vs orbital nukes, but correct me I'm wrong.

Deleted
    The Draenei are one of the factions that are restricted so that Lok'thar Ogar Fanboy Orc Kids don't feel bad when their enemies point out that the race that they play is nearly collectively a bunch of genocidal monsters and rapists without honor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Qualia View Post
    As others have said, the Draenei joined the Alliance partly because the Night Elf helped them, and partly because they were inspired by the tales of the Alliance fight against the Legion while being able to sense the Alliance's great courage ("Sensing the great courage in the Alliance, Velen and his followers pledged themselves to this noble faction"). Since then, the Draenei and the Alliance have gone through thick and thin, wars over wars - at certain time, the bond between them weren't enough and the Draenei were almost going to fly off (in Velen's short story), but in the end, they stuck together. The Alliance races are pretty friendly and supportive to each other, so I assume the Draenei doesn't really have anything against being part of the faction either. Their bond was again strengthened when the Alliance helped the Draenei to reclaim their former holdings from the Legion. So, to sum it up, they are still part of the Alliance because (1) they admired the courage of the members of the Alliance, (2) the relationship between Alliance races were pretty good - which led to strong bonds, bonds that can't be broken simply because they are in danger (in fact, given that Sylvanas Horde is aiming to take over entire Kalimdor, there are more reasons for them to stick with allies).

Secondly, they actually do participate in the war, even though it might not be as clear as it could be. The reason why they haven't taken a bigger role is because their resources were already depleted from the battle in "Legion" ("The night elves and the draenei were the only Alliance bastions on the continent who could offer a swift counter to a Horde incursion into Silithus, and the draenei’s resources had been depleted during the war against the Legion"). However, some of the Draenei - even though they are in danger of being invaded by the Horde themselves, still traveled to help in battle for Teldrassil (quoting "Elegy", "The draenei were hardly in a position to assist the beleaguered night elves, though some brave souls had traveled to do so"). Now, they are providing a place for NE refugee and participating in the Battle for Lordaeron, while Velen participated in meeting with other leaders of the Alliance to discuss strategy, like they did before the burning of Teldrassil.

All in all, they are doing something. They just couldn't do much because of lore handicap (wouldn't make much of a war if the Draenei just fly around and light beam Horde's force from the orbit, would it?), but they are trying to contribute as much as they can.
    ...This and just to add.

I can appreciate the evolution of Velen in Legion. Personally meeting and getting to know Illidan Stormrage ended up being the best thing to ever happen to him since the Draenei first came to Azeroth. Pre-Legion, Velen might have nuked Illidan for killing a Naaru in front of him. Instead--and you have to remember Velen watched his son die in front of him as he'd seen in a vision and was questioning his faith in the Light by the time he met Illidan--Velen realized blind faith is no faith at all. He realized this from his short story as well as while mentoring Anduin obviously. When he saw Illidan reject a path he not only didn't want but was being forced on him, that's when Velen realized blind obediance and faith in The Light is not good (See: Scarlet Crusade and Lightforged Draenei).

Maraad was the second most famous Draenei after Velen but he died on Draenor. Yrel was introduced in Warlords of Draenor but despite how much she was built as AU Velen's successor her story ended with WoD's. The Draenei need to introduce new lore characters other than Velen and more so now. Delaryn Summermoon was a Night Elf Warrior. Lillian Voss is an Undead Rogue. Zappyboi is a Darkspear Troll Shaman. I could go on. As a race, The Draenei are biologically immortal. SO MUCH POTENTIAL RIGHT THERE.
    ...Ok, time to change the ol' Sig ^_^

This time I'll leave you the Links to 3 of my Wordpress Blogs: 1. Serene Adventure 2. Video Games 3. Anime Please subscribe if you like what you see. As a Bonus, I'll throw in my You Tube channel =D

There is much wrong about draenei on Azeroth, begining with the fact that they somehow reached and crashed on the same planet that the orcs, with which they shared their previous planet, invaded. What a coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurabolt View Post
    ...This and just to add.

Maraad was the second most famous Draenei after Velen but he died on Draenor. Yrel was introduced in Warlords of Draenor but despite how much she was built as AU Velen's successor her story ended with WoD's. The Draenei need to introduce new lore characters other than Velen and more so now. Delaryn Summermoon was a Night Elf Warrior. Lillian Voss is an Undead Rogue. Zappyboi is a Darkspear Troll Shaman. I could go on. As a race, The Draenei are biologically immortal. SO MUCH POTENTIAL RIGHT THERE.

Actually it didn't end there.. he story is coming back in BFA with the Mag'har orcs.

It's not reasonable to think Velen would care much about the faction conflict between the Horde and the Alliance, when the Legion is the primary threat.

Velen knows that the only reason the Horde killed his people in the first place is because the Orcs were corrupted by his own people, who had already been trying to kill him and the rest of the exiled ones for 25,000 years.

So if you figure Archimond and Kil'Jaedan are equals with Velen, and they were corrupted, how could Velen possibly hold the primitive Orcs to a higher standard than his own very wise, highly advanced race and their greatest leaders - especially considering it was his brethren that corrupted the Orcs in the first place.

If Velen wants to battle and kill the non-corrupted Orcs for the actions of the corrupted Orcs, than he's got to kill himself...'cause it's exactly the same thing.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

Quote Originally Posted by keymil View Post
    There is much wrong about draenei on Azeroth, begining with the fact that they somehow reached and crashed on the same planet that the orcs, with which they shared their previous planet, invaded. What a coincidence.
    Velans visions/naru led him to that planet. They were sent there with a purpose and it was most likely what transpired in Legion, that was the grand plan all along.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Uhm...Is this a serious question? The Draenei that crash landed in the Exodar are a handful of survivors of the of the near total genocide of their entire race by the Eredar.

There's an entire "highway" in Outland paved with the bones of the Draenei slaughtered by the "Horde while under the power of the Eredar corruption".

Beyond that the Horde has in its ranks Undead, which light worshipers, like Undead Priests absolutely hate above all things, not to mention that the Horde doesn't practice any Light based religions except perhaps some of the Blood Elves and the Tauren, and every race that has priests, but other than all those races, no other Horde races.

The dominant religion in the Alliance is light worship, though the Draenei's closest friends are Moon worshipers, so they don't appear have a big hangup over Light worshiping.
    I fixt that for you. You must have accidentally said "Orcs" when it was the Eredar (you know, Velen's people) who have been hunting and trying to killed the exiled ones for 25,000 years. I'm sure that must have been accidental you blaming the Orcs for getting tricked and corrupted by Velen's own people.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    You do know that playable Draenei are survivors from a near-complete genocide committed by Orcs - the very same Horde that staged the first invasions of Azeroth - right?

Right? Please say you know that.
    A near-complete genocide committed by Orcs but instigated and masterminded by Kil'Jaeden. The Draenei brought the legion to Draenor and unwittingly set the Orcs on a path that caused untold deaths on both Draenor and Azeroth. So, if anything the Draenei should have been working to redeem the Orcs to atone for the suffering they caused.