View Poll Results: Should things unlock for free when the content is outdated?

Voters
54. This poll is closed
  • Yes - the content is outdated

16 29.63%
  • No - everyone should have to earn it

34 62.96%
  • Other - My answer is way too convoluted, see below

4 7.41%

Question Should outdated content automatically unlock with a new expac?

Just like the title asks: Once BFA launched, should grindy achievements like Allied Races and Pathfinder automatically unlock (without awarding the achievement)?

(This does not include gear, mounts, progression, or even achievements)

Yes... or No?

- - - Updated - - -

Feels like it is going to be a 50/50 split when it is all done.
    Last edited by OMGTwitchTV; 2018-08-16 at 09:36 PM.
    “Be the change you want to see in the world.” ~ Mahatma Gandhi

I voted no, but current allied races should be unlockable via BFA content, not to Legion content. If allied races were available without BFA purchase, then keeping their rep in Legion is fine.

It's weird question.

Should Allied races be unlocked by buying BfA now? Of course. Allied races are main feature of BfA, they are directly on landing page.

Should pathfinder to be unlocked automatically? Well..maybe. But it is not so clear with this one.

Should everyone get mounts and gear from previous expansions by not playing them? I guess not, it seems stupid.

So what is the correct answer for your poll?

7+ Year Old Account
    Pathfinder, sure, but Allied races nah. It would be like giving everybody exalted with all old reputations and allowing them to gain their exalted mounts.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Quote Originally Posted by ManiaCCC View Post
    It's weird question.

Should Allied races be unlocked by buying BfA now? Of course. Allied races are main feature of BfA, they are directly on landing page.

Should pathfinder to be unlocked automatically? Well..maybe. But it is not so clear with this one.

Should everyone get mounts and gear from previous expansions by not playing them? I guess not, it seems stupid.

So what is the correct answer for your poll?
    Well, think about it logically. I never mentioned mounts, or achievements, or gear. But items that are essentially locked to the expansion. Allied races, and Pathfinder. Would you be ok with those unlocking and encouraging people to return to Legion/Draenor, or should they remain locked to each expansion and people need to go back and earn it if they want it?

I think they kinda painted themselves into a corner announcing and making available the legion-based allied races so close before the release of BfA. Granted, they had the data to show what percentage of the playerbase already completed (or were close to completing) the requirements, and maybe decided since "most" were close to or had gained the necessary reps, it was a non-issue. I can't really say for sure that they should just unlock automatically now that the new expac is out. Perhaps moving forward they will reduce or eliminate the requirements for "older" allied races. Maybe?

Pathfinder: Hmmm... maybe not for the immediately finished expac, but I could see an auto-grant being reasonable for two-plus expansions. So as an example, Draenor pathfinder unlocking now that BfA is out. Legion pathfinder when 9.0 drops, etc. Maybe... i dunno. I finished Legion pathfinder, but never completed Draenor, so it's really strange on my alts having flying through EK/Kal, Outland, Northrend, Pandaria.... and then not AU Draenor, only to be able to fly again on the broken isles.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Eventually, sure. But not the day the expansion drops. Maybe 8.2 or 3.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by BongimusPrime View Post
    I think they kinda painted themselves into a corner announcing and making available the legion-based allied races so close before the release of BfA. Granted, they had the data to show what percentage of the playerbase already completed (or were close to completing) the requirements, and maybe decided since "most" were close to or had gained the necessary reps, it was a non-issue.

Pathfinder: Hmmm... maybe not for the immediately finished expac, but I could see an auto-grant being reasonable for two-plus expansions. So as an example, Draenor pathfinder unlocking now that BfA is out. Legion pathfinder when 9.0 drops, etc. Maybe... i dunno. I finished Legion pathfinder, but never completed Draenor, so it's really strange on my alts having flying through EK/Kal, Outland, Northrend, Pandaria.... and then not AU Draenor, only to be able to fly again on the broken isles.
    That's a sound response.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    No, ffs just do the work.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Eventually, sure. But not the day the expansion drops. Maybe 8.2 or 3.
    So unlock Draenor and Legion Races/Pathfinder in 8.3 just before 9.0 drops. Acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by pay928 View Post
    I voted no, but current allied races should be unlockable via BFA content, not to Legion content. If allied races were available without BFA purchase, then keeping their rep in Legion is fine.
    100% correct.

Allied Races in general are a weird deal. I think it's fine going forward that you have to play through the related quests/reps to unlock them. I think an exception could be made for the Legion allied races since they're a BFA feature, but it doesn't feel great to me, since I had to grind the reps.

Re: Pathfinder - This one affects the leveling experience SO MUCH that it is painful for me to not have it for WoD. I think after 2 expansions it should be unlocked IF you've leveled through it once. I will NEVER skip a pathfinder achievement again, simply because how much it pains me to level every freaking alt through WoD on the ground.

Mounts, cosmetics, achievements, tho, 100% should have to go back and earn them. I don't have a nether drake, because I never farmed the eggs. I could go do it, but I won't, because I want to do other things more. I don't deserve it and not having it doesn't affect my forward game play.
    Last edited by Thirtyrock; 2018-08-16 at 09:44 PM.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GnomeWarlock View Post
    So unlock Draenor and Legion Races/Pathfinder in 8.3 just before 9.0 drops. Acceptable.
    Dfaenor can unlock now. I was more talking specifically Legion things, most notably the Allied Races.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

I voted no, but I do think they should be made easier or faster to do. Allied races are meant to be exactly that...ALLIES. You don't gain allies in a war by just showing up, you should be required to earn their trust (gain reputation with them), but maybe bring the requirement down to Revered instead of Exalted. Allied Races are a cosmetic reward, I'm fine with people having to work a little to unlock it just like most other cosmetic rewards in the game.

I'd be totally fine with previous expansion Pathfinder rewards being unlocked by doing the current expansion pack Pathfinder achievement and not actually earning the previous expansion achievements.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I'd be totally fine with previous expansion Pathfinder rewards being unlocked by doing the current expansion pack Pathfinder achievement and not actually earning the previous expansion achievements.
    Interesting. I would be ok with something like this too.

at the very least keep the quests to unlock the races in place.

Aka make sure you have to have a 110/120 first

10+ Year Old Account
    No, unlock the stuff like everyone else did.
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!