Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquinan View Post
    Religion is responsible for some abhorrent human rights abuses, and we still fucking tolerate it somehow.
    Maybe because its human right to belive in religion?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamut View Post
    I'm sorry, but since religions are against human rights, why would we protect these religions because of human rights? This is purely idiotic. So you mean that we should protect people that spit hate speech for the vast majority of people, calling the LGBT freaks of nature, calling people from other countries as murderers/rapists/frauds and yet being accused every other month as pedophiles/rapists? Religions are not human rights, its the choice of a person to believe in a religion. But the companies that support these religions are not human rights.

7+ Year Old Account
    Pretty fucked up that the arbiters of the religion are committing probably the single most abhorrent thing people can, abusing helpless children.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tarthlorp View Post
    Hate speech among the religious may be common in parts of the US and in the developing world....but it is very uncommon in most of the civilized world. I've literally never heard a homophobic sentiment in four decades as a catholic for example. The nutters tend to get more publicity of course....as do the extremes in the LGBT movement.
    We had the LGBT pride this june. The archbishop in Greece gave an interview, calling every LGBT as a freak, a pervert, and many other names. This was all coming from the Archbishop. I'm not sorry, all these guys need to go to jail for hate speech, abusing their power, among other things. And of course, these companies should just shut down. Or at the very least, they shouldn't have any power in any matter or topic. Religions are supposed to be personal, not another army.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yes, but is the Catholic church especially prone to paedophilia-or is it that the problem is much more widespread generally than first thought? Without excusing any of this, especially the church's weak response, I tend to think it is the latter. There have been numerous institutions found complicit in cover-ups of paedophilia.

The big one-and I suspect the last one to be exposed, will be congress and the senate.
    For me, the word pedophilia is synonymous with priest, my whole life ive always heard these storys, so it may me other places, but this is deffenantly the most pronounced one we know of.

Quote Originally Posted by Knolan View Post
    Technically speaking, if you really regret it and ask for forgiveness, yes.

Also, technically speaking, if you really regret it, you would not do it again.

I am an atheist, but I was raised catholic and I remember the stories of people who did terrible things, but got forgiven (at least by the church).
    Can't stand the thought process that the Church has the complete audacity of giving forgiveness (on behalf of God) when it should be up to the victims, not some jackoff of the cloth that isn't affected by those molestations and rape besides being complicit with...
    Last edited by Daedius; 2018-08-16 at 06:37 PM.

Deleted
    Yeah that's what we thought here in the UK-but after the BBC scandals, the parliamentary scandals, the football association scandals, the care home scandals, Prince Andrew and yes, the fucking muslim paedos as well (happy now far right morons?) it has become clear that the problem isn't restricted to Catholicism or religion, it is something to do with power structures, political elites and bureaucracy.

Of course, you could point out religious organizations should be better than the rest of the human race at dealing with this problem, and you'd have a point.
    Arguments for Anarchism number 1: Hierachical power structures are inherently abusive, exploititative and anti-thetical to human freedom.

The wide range of areas these accusations come from show something significantly more fundamental than 'a few bad apples' type reasoning.

I do think the Catholic Church has some particularly egregious crimes to answer for just because of how wide spread, how common and how institutionalised not just the abuse was but how regularly it was covered up and those accused put directly back into the proximity of vulnerable people. Coupled with the horrors that happened at Catholic orphanages and birthing halls it is quite clear that the Catholic Church has and continues to have a complete and utter disregard for the well being of those under their supervision.

Eh, the Church. Nowadays unfortunately it has less connection with real faith (of course, I fully respect of those who really do within the Church).
    There are many outdated teachings, especially regarding birth control.
    And there are many sexual abuses within it, also in Europe. But the Church shows signs of some slow cleanup procedure, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    More than 300 accused priests listed in Pennsylvania report on Catholic Church sex abuse

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.ad4b7303c519
    300+ people doing stuff in secret would be a conspiracy, and conspiracies are impossible.

Over 300 priests accused of molesting over a 1,000 children...and only 2 criminal charges made...

I don't know how people can defend this, this is disgusting. I've heard too many stories of molestation from Catholic priests and the church covering it up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Techno-Druid View Post
    Over 300 priests accused of molesting over a 1,000 children...and only 2 criminal charges made...

I don't know how people can defend this, this is disgusting. I've heard too many stories of molestation from Catholic priests and the church covering it up.
    I didn't read it because it's behind paywall but from the excerpt that's from the past 70 years so most of them are probably dead, one of the victims is 83.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    I think many people will agree that genocide can be justified.

Quote Originally Posted by pinelakias View Post
    I'm sorry, but since religions are against human rights, why would we protect these religions because of human rights? This is purely idiotic. So you mean that we should protect people that spit hate speech for the vast majority of people, calling the LGBT freaks of nature, calling people from other countries as murderers/rapists/frauds and yet being accused every other month as pedophiles/rapists? Religions are not human rights, its the choice of a person to believe in a religion. But the companies that support these religions are not human rights.
    Except religion is not against human rights. In my country there were also doctors (pediatrician) who got caught on phedophile. Shall we also ban all doctors because few are fuked up? There are also lawyers doing that, police and many others. So why its loud only when priests doing that?
    Why you dont talk about priests that risk their lives to save others (and about those who even died for doing that) and just assume everyone is bad?

And nope, Im not saying they should not be punished. But saying something should be banned only because some indyviduals are bad is just ridiculous.

10+ Year Old Account
    Except religion is not against human rights. In my country there were also doctors (pediatrician) who got caught on phedophile. Shall we also ban all doctors because few are fuked up? There are also lawyers doing that, police and many others. So why its loud only when priests doing that?
    Why you dont talk about priests that risk their lives to save others (and about those who even died for doing that) and just assume everyone is bad?

And nope, Im not saying they should not be punished. But saying something should be banned only because some indyviduals are bad is just ridiculous.
    The difference between these professionals and the employees at the Church is that the services of the first are actually beneficial to humanity (doctors, lawyers, police, army, etc.) while the second ones are selling air for a really, really high price. Keeping bastards like them in business while they are mostly against humans is simply stupid. There is no reason to question this anymore, everyone knows that this is most correct approach to these guys. If you dont think so, Im sorry but you should rethink a lot of things.

Edit. Also, what do you mean "a few"? Are you that blind? Last time we had an incident of a doctor raping a child in my country, I was still in high school. Almost 8 years ago. While the last case of a priest raping a child, was 2 months ago. And the one before that was 3 months ago. And the one before that was 5 months ago. What are you talking about? Would you feel this company should be disbanded if they rape a child every day or something similar to that?
    Last edited by pinelakias; 2018-08-16 at 07:57 PM.

Human stupidity more like.

The difference between these professionals and the employees at the Church is that the services of the first are actually beneficial to humanity (doctors, lawyers, police, army, etc.) while the second ones are selling air for a really, really high price.

Edit. Also, what do you mean "a few"? Are you that blind? Last time we had an incident of a doctor raping a child in my country, I was still in high school. Almost 8 years ago. While the last case of a priest raping a child, was 2 months ago. And the one before that was 3 months ago. And the one before that was 5 months ago. What are you talking about? Would you feel this company should be disbanded if they rape a child every day or something similar to that?
    They are beneficial to people who decided to belive, they have rights to belive in what they want and you have no rights to not let them. Is not this simple? Does not matter what you think on this.
    Also why does it matter if something was 5 months ago or 5 years ago? Does time make it less bad?

Punish all who did those things (does not matter if they were priests, doctors, lawyers or someone else) and leave rest alone. Im not interested in some witchhunting and ruining other people lives only because someone gave them bad reputation by doing bad things.

10+ Year Old Account
    The difference between these professionals and the employees at the Church is that the services of the first are actually beneficial to humanity (doctors, lawyers, police, army, etc.) while the second ones are selling air for a really, really high price. Keeping bastards like them in business while they are mostly against humans is simply stupid. There is no reason to question this anymore, everyone knows that this is most correct approach to these guys. If you dont think so, Im sorry but you should rethink a lot of things.

Doctors touching patients inappropriately isn't unheard of in the US.

And if you don't think religion does not serve some people then I don't know what to tell you. Like all things in life, there are good churches and bad ones.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dipzz View Post
    So what, Islam opening allows it. No one makes posts about that, but because the church does it in secret it's post worthy? whatever, get over it, been happening for 100's/1000's of years. It sucks, but it's not new news or post worthy.
    So because Islam you don't care about child rape?

https://twitter.com/NikkiBattiste/st...rc=twsrc%5Etfw

“The abuses described in the report are criminal and morally reprehensible. Those acts were betrayals of trust that robbed survivors of their dignity and their faith.... there should be accountability for both abusers and those who permitted abuse to occur”
    ~~Vatican spokeman[/i]

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Doctors touching patients inappropriately isn't unheard of in the US.

And if you don't think religion does not serve some people then I don't know what to tell you. Like all things in life, there are good churches and bad ones.
    For the last time, religion is something personal. Having the need to give power and authority to companies to sell religion for extremely high prices and having more authority than some governments is incredibly stupid. There is no good church and bad church. There is only big company and smaller company. Do you think these priests would ever rape kids if they didnt have this multibillion goliath behind them? Do you think these archbishops would go and publicly call people as freaks and other stuff if they didn't have all the idiots on their side? Do you honestly think that if these companies were disbanded, the idiots that spit homophobic, xenophobic and misanthropic garbage would even have the balls to continue their rants? Religions started as something to control the masses. This could work thousands of years ago or even centuries ago. But the masses are way too diverse now to continue this insane support of them. Having schools trying to teach kids that the one true god is their god while humanity has created literally tens of thousands of gods, giving billions to churches, giving them power equal to prime ministers. As long as these things continue to happen, there is no way in hell that humanity could ever be peaceful. Honestly, one of the main reasons I'm moving to Stockholm is because idiots like them don't have as much authority as in 2nd rate countries like the US, Greece, and others. Sweden is no more supporting the Church. People that believe, can continue to do so. But they know that when it comes to laws, to riches and any other kind of privilege the other countries have, they are equal to everyone else. That's why the racist ranting from scandinavian countries is getting lesser by the year and these countries are among the top. (Fun fact. The states/cities from the US that have higher quality of life than the rest of the US are cities that don't really care about the religious part. See New York, San Fransisco, Boston) Overall, I hope that the Church can "die" as soon as possible.