Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Question Event Horizon an Unofficial Prequel to Warhammer 40K

I've heard Event Horizon being referenced as an unofficial prequel for the Warhammer 40K Universe but I don't exactly understand the connection. Anyone care to explain it to me?

5+ Year Old Account
    You should be a bit more precise if you want an answer. What is Event Horizon and where did you hear about it ?

It's not even clear when such prequel would take place given the huge timeline of 40k

FTL travel in WH 40k is done by traversing an alternate dimension filled with demons. In Event Horizon the ship was an experiment in FTL travel that brought demons back with it. That’s the connection they’re making.

you mean the movie? with Sam Neil and Laurence Fishburne? I mean, it's about humans opening a doorway to hell in space. which I guess could be seen as the realm of chaos.

Deleted
    I think the parallel is made because the sphere that makes intergalactic travel possible, supposedly exposes you to some alternative dimension or some such, that is rife with insanity. That correlates fairly well with the warp in 40k, the only part where it really falls apart, is that the sphere supposedly leaves a remnant of that, which in 40k is not really a thing.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Howeller View Post
    I think the parallel is made because the sphere that makes intergalactic travel possible, supposedly exposes you to some alternative dimension or some such, that is rife with insanity. That correlates fairly well with the warp in 40k, the only part where it really falls apart, is that the sphere supposedly leaves a remnant of that, which in 40k is not really a thing.
    With this logic lord of the rings 2 is a prequel of 9/11 because there are two towers

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Erran Morad View Post
    With this logic lord of the rings 2 is a prequel of 9/11 because there are two towers
    Okay, I have to admit, that made me laugh more than it should

Quote Originally Posted by Erran Morad View Post
    Sequel, The Two Towers came out after 9/11 and people wanted its name changed because of this.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurrora View Post
    Sequel, The Two Towers came out after 9/11 and people wanted its name changed because of this.
    That's the point of a prequel it comes out after the actual story

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    so I've just got into 40k but wasn't the emperor been around for like for ever? before space travel even?

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    so I've just got into 40k but wasn't the emperor been around for like for ever? before space travel even?
    This + 40k warp navigation requires the Astronomicon psychic beacon created by the emperor

Unless this is in the movie that's not a prequel

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah no.

The movie is set in 2047, we know from Geedubs that Humanity only got FTL travel in the 18th Millenium.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Maybe? We're not sure because they KEEP FUCKING RETCONNING SHIT. FUCK.

Ahem.

Sorry.

The EMPRAH might or might not have been any of the following: Reincarnated Shamans of Old Earth, a Perpetual, Jesus, Buddha, Mohamed or Conan the Barbarian (or all of them!). In reality... We don't know. He didn't really tell anyone before being bitch-slapped.

Quote Originally Posted by Techno-Druid View Post
    I've heard Event Horizon being referenced as an unofficial prequel for the Warhammer 40K Universe but I don't exactly understand the connection. Anyone care to explain it to me?
    It's just a head cannon kind of thing people like to say, like the little kid from the first JP that Grant scares with the Raptor claw grows up to be Chris Pratt.

I personally like to believe that Stargate and Indiana Jones exist in the same universe.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Yeah no.

The movie is set in 2047, we know from Geedubs that Humanity only got FTL travel in the 18th Millenium.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe? We're not sure because they KEEP FUCKING RETCONNING SHIT. FUCK.

Ahem.

Sorry.

The EMPRAH might or might not have been any of the following: Reincarnated Shamans of Old Earth, a Perpetual, Jesus, Buddha, Mohamed or Conan the Barbarian (or all of them!). In reality... We don't know. He didn't really tell anyone before being bitch-slapped.
    Do they keep retconning stuff? Didn’t know that. I’m barely into 40k just starting with books a friend who’s a huge fan recommends, I know he hates the age of Sigmar fantasy stuff but haven’t heard of any retcons yet.

If Event Horizon has any comparison to WH40K, it shows us what would happen to a ship without a stable Gellar Field when it goes through the Warp. Nasty stuff happens that we IRL cannot conceive!

I need to watch Event Horizon again, it's one hell of a good time.

Deleted
    It's pretty widely accepted as an early attempt at Warp Travel before Gellar fields.

There's an interview with the director/writer somewhere where they openly state that they wanted it to be connected to 40k, but GeeDubs wouldn't give them a license.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    GW is not very smart with their lisences.
    They do have a hideous track record with handing it out to the wrong people.

Atleast the recent few games have been decent enough, with the exception of DoW3.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh, it is a good movie but I didn't really feel a prequel feeling to Warhammer 40k.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..