Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    @Pinelakis, yeah I'm not even going to address half of that because it seems like it's coming from a place of angst against the way some use religion.

Religion at its core is a branch of philosophy, a natural extension of it you could say. People turn to religion for mental and spiritual guidance. To hope cope with whatever they are going through. To find community and support. Religion will always pop up in one way or another. Churches are a means of organizing members of similar thought.

Yes there are those who abuse the trust that place in religion. The 300 cases in this story is proof of that. There are people who abuse the financial privileges religions. Most churches aren't mega churches. Most aren't turning profits. Most spend what they get from their members on others on need.

The RCC should be ashamed that this stuff is happening under their watch.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    But they said they were sorry! Did the whole confessional thing too! Their superior heard it. Sealed and everything.

Why he wanted to hear lurid details of how the child's buttocks trembled I don't know, nor why there was grunting from the other side of the confessional, but I apologized, and I do feel bad about getting caught, so I'm clear. That's how it works. Says so in the book.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquinan View Post
    Religion is responsible for some abhorrent human rights abuses, and we still fucking tolerate it somehow.
    We literally worship it. And people think I'M crazy for wanting to get rid of religion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

If you think human rights abuses wouldn't happen without religion then I've a bridge to sell you, a unique fixxer-upper in Italy.

Religion is responsible for some abhorrent human rights abuses, and we still fucking tolerate it somehow.
    Calm your edge, edgelord. Religion has literally nothing to do with it. It's merely a situation in which grown adults can prey on children. You might as well say "THE OUTDOORS IS RESPONSIBLE FOR ABHORRENT ABUSES WITHIN THE BOY SCOUTS" or "THE ROMANS IS RESPONSIBLE FOR ABHORRENT ABUSES WITHIN WRESTLING". Sexual abuse happens all over, you can't just blindly attribute it to religion lol.
    Last edited by therealstegblob; 2018-08-17 at 03:09 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by therealstegblob View Post
    Calm your edge, edgelord. Religion has literally nothing to do with it. It's merely a situation in which grown adults can prey on children. You might as well say "THE OUTDOORS IS RESPONSIBLE FOR ABHORRENT ABUSES WITHIN THE BOY SCOUTS" or "THE ROMANS IS RESPONSIBLE FOR ABHORRENT ABUSES WITHIN WRESTLING". Sexual abuse happens all over, you can't just blindly attribute it to religion lol.
    To be fair, Roman Reigns is a shit wrestler, but part of this is who he works for.

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Can we just disband this thing, take all of it's money and land, and put an end to it? At what point do we just say the whole thing was built on molestation of children and make it stop?

5+ Year Old Account
    Just put a sign in front of the churches that say, "must be this old to enter". Problem solved.

Deleted
    cancel religion

Quote Originally Posted by Knolan View Post
    Technically if you regret the error and ask for forgiveness it is fine =p
    regretting it isn't enough. You have to be penitent about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by blobbydan View Post
    We're all doomed. Let these retards shuffle the chairs on the titanic. They can die in a safe space if they want to... Whatever. What a miserable joke this life is. I can't wait until it's all finally over and I can return to the sweet oblivion of the void.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fincayra View Post
    regretting it isn't enough. You have to be penitent about it.
    You're also told you're gonna fuck up again, knowing you'll be forgiven, and then told "be good, but you're gonna fuck it up", you have no reason to change. You know you'll be forgiven. For "minor" things like "impure thoughts" it's no biggie. For playing Backdoor Spelunker with minors..I'm sure they feel bad. They are penitent. Then with a clear mind they feel good about their soul, then they do it again. Lather Rinse Repeat. That's an issue, the get out of Hell free card.

You want to handwave away the sexual assault? And you call me the edgelord lol sounds like you're defending the pedos. OK fine, if you want to do that: most major religions are still responsible for horrendous human rights abuses (excluding the sexual assault)

10+ Year Old Account
    Allow priests to have sex and be married and they'll no longer become a haven for mentally ill individuals. The Church or some parts of it are also know for simply moving priests around to avoid them being prosecuted.

You want to handwave away the sexual assault?
    Nope, and nothing in my post indicated anything like that. If that's how you comprehended my words, then you seriously need to learn to read. It's a basic life skill and you need to be able to do it. PM me if you want and I can give you discreet lessons, just to help you out; I know it must be highly embarrassing to be illiterate, so I'm here to help.

And you call me the edgelord lol sounds like you're defending the pedos.
    Again, no, nothing in my post was even close to defending pedophilia. I described it as, verbatim, "a situation in which grown adults can prey on children". Does that sound like pedophilia defense to you? Again, I believe you need to learn how to read. Refer to my offer of tutoring.

OK fine, if you want to do that: most major religions are still responsible for horrendous human rights abuses (excluding the sexual assault)
    No, they're not. A religion isn't a tangible thing or a force, it can't do anything. People do bad things, and honestly I know it sounds like a bit of cliche statement but this is very true: If it weren't religion that gave people a vehicle for hatred, it would be anything else. Religion did not make those priests abuse those children, they were just adults in a position to abuse children and they chose to do that.

When a scout master is molesting his scouts, do you say the Boyscouts is to blame for pedophilia? When a sports coach molests his players, are sports to blame? When a physician is molesting their patients, is medicine to blame? What rhetoric are you trying to make by blaming religion for this? If anything, you're the one who is defending and handwaving pedophilia by putting most of the blame on religion. Think about that, if you're humble enough to stop being a jackass and admit you're fucking wrong.

No, they're not. A religion isn't a tangible thing or a force, it can't do anything.
    Yes, and the use religion as an excuse "Oh God will forgive me for these abuses" ETC. All the damage people have caused in the name of religion is reason enough that it should be left to die out. Will people still be shitty w/o religion? Sure, but then its just them being shitty and they cant hide behind God as an excuse.

Yes
    No. It's not. Religion is nothing but an intangible set of beliefs and values, it is not a force. Arguing otherwise is literally illogical.

the use religion as an excuse "Oh God will forgive me for these abuses" ETC
    Absolutely no one actually operates with a mindset of "I can do whatever I want because God will forgive me!". How immature are you lololol. Religious people aren't (on a typical average) insane, they know there are worldly consequences to their actions and that they can't absolve themselves of all guilt because "God forgives". Remember when I called you an edgelord? Shit like this is why.

All the damage people have caused in the name of religion is reason enough that it should be left to die out.
    Okay so let's say all religion 'dies out' and no one is religious. You think this is an end to humanity's issues or something? That extremists and terrorists won't exist? That adults won't rape children? What's your fucking endgame here lol. I don't even think you fully understand your own argument (or lack of an argument, rather) and you're just blindly railing against religion because you think it's intellectual or free-thinking to "wake up" and realize how religion is some kind of toxic hate-machine or something and we'd all automatically be better without it.

There is no god and preachers aren't there to help get into heaven. They want your wallet, your spouse, your kids, and any other flesh they can poke with their cocks.

The whole thing is a fucking facepalm situation. Religious morons obviously have all won a special Darwin Award for child-rearing. What do you folks say: Do stupid things, win stupid prizes?

And Catholics do seem to be a special case of bad. I guess they take the cake, or is that another thread?

Whenever anyone thumps that Bible too hard I have to suspect their true motives for whatever it is that they seem to want.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Allow priests to have sex and be married and they'll no longer become a haven for mentally ill individuals. The Church or some parts of it are also know for simply moving priests around to avoid them being prosecuted.
    Don't give them that excuse. Being celibate or single doesn't make you a pedophile.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Absolutely no one actually operates with a mindset of "I can do whatever I want because God will forgive me!".
    You are wilfully stupid or naive or both.