Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    Kul Tiran humans are probably the worst allied race. They're fat humans. That's it.
    Those kultiran female in the prison with the red armor look sweet tho, Im gonna make one just for that, oh and extra thicc

Remove rep gating, make the starting experience for each race a little bit bigger and Blizzard needs to free their balls from the dungeons of Activision and make new unique races as allied races not just reskins. Do all those things and Allied Races are amazing.

Also they need to get a better grip on allied races that are actually needed or wanted in the story. Light Forged draenei? What a waste, a race of highly religious space goats that are even MORE religious is not a very compelling race.

No, they're actual different races. Not ones I'm particular fond of, but hey.

Kul Tiran humans are just humans except fat. And I don't believe they have a custom skeleton, looks very similar to orcs.
    No, Kul'Tiran humans use a mostly unique model/skeleton that is using the Vrykul skeleton. They resemble orcs in basically no way at all, really.

Your complaints are a bit silly. Maybe if the next expansion is just more 'allied races' this will become a problem, but so far we're getting a lot of new allied races, so the sheer number at least makes up for the fact they're only subraces. Yeah, Light Forged and Void Elves suck and are boring and Mag'har are basically just reskins of the normal orc model and even Zandalari are just night elf skeletons (albeit with many new animations, so it's harder to tell).

Not every allied race has been very good. They really did an absolutely horrible job with Light Forged and Void Elves, I actually feel bad for the Alliance lol. But it's not like we're just never getting a real race again, lol. Stop complaining about something like this.

as long as it means I get to have human(undead) models in the future i'M fine with it

Kul Tiran humans are probably the worst allied race. They're fat humans. That's it.
    Blood elfs are just orange Night elfs. That's it. Draenai are just Blue tauren. That's it.

...you people have been asking for sub-races for YEARS!

"I want to play as a Dark Iron Dwarf."

"We want Brown Orcs"

And we finally get them and you complain about it? Why?

Sure you can cower behind the usual defense of "Those were different people asking for sub-races. I never liked the idea!" but why didn't you just SAY something everytime a thread like that popped up? Say "I DON'T want sub-races." Don't sit on your hands and twiddle your thumbs until it finally happens and THEN complain about it. It's absurd how much this happens. People sit silently until the things they fear finally happen, then they complain. Make it clear as much as you can when you do not want a new feature.

And don't say "Allied Races aren't sub-races" because they are. They're only called "allied" races so Blizz doesn't have to stick to literal sub-species of animals.

And don't say "We could have gotten an actually new race alongside these" because that just shows an immense misunderstanding about game development, time management and resource allocation.

Remember when we got brand new races with a new expansion? They each came with their own starting zones, architecture, mounts, and you could start playing them as soon as the expansion launched. Some were handled better than others, but they were a completely new experience.

Now we have allied races, which are the same races we already have with a couple of different skin colors, hair styles, or other small details. They're not quite as cool as brand new races and on top of that we have to grind a long time to unlock them. They have no unique starting experience, just one quest in a small area and then you're shipped off to Stormwind so you can go quest in Westfall. Instead of the two or three new mounts brand new races used to get, they only get one.

Is this really a change we should be happy with? Is this the future for all new races from this point out?
    People have cried and asked for sub-races for ages and then threads like this still appear. It made very little sense to just add customization options for the existing races without a proper introduction (imagine starting as lightforged draenei on azuremyst or as highmountain in mulgore) so we have it. The gating and locking it behind longer or shorter grinds is bad tho, and it should be easier to unlock them - rn new and returning players have to level to cap, Get rep to unlock a race and then they can reroll to a race they wanted to main since the beggining.
    S.H.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Players: We want to be able to play taunka/red orcs/any dwarf race
    Blizz: Heres some fat humans and a fox

KT are completely new, have new models and animations I believe.

Zandalari are touched up NE models.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombkirby View Post
    ...you people have been asking for sub-races for YEARS!

"I want to play as a Dark Iron Dwarf."

"We want Brown Orcs"

And we finally get them and you complain about it? Why?

Sure you can cower behind the usual defense of "Those were different people asking for sub-races. I never liked the idea!" but why didn't you just SAY something everytime a thread like that popped up? Say "I DON'T want sub-races." Don't sit on your hands and twiddle your thumbs until it finally happens and THEN complain about it. It's absurd how much this happens. People sit silently until the things they fear finally happen, then they complain. Make it clear as much as you can when you do not want a new feature.

And don't say "Allied Races aren't sub-races" because they are. They're only called "allied" races so Blizz doesn't have to stick to literal sub-species of animals.

And don't say "We could have gotten an actually new race alongside these" because that just shows an immense misunderstanding about game development, time management and resource allocation.
    Counter-argument: How do you know he's among the ones that's been asking for sub-races? The WoW community is very large and diverse. He might've been asking for new races this whole time, not sub-races.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    KT are completely new, have new models and animations I believe.

Zandalari are touched up NE models.
    KT models are based off of the Pandaren models.

Quote Originally Posted by therealstegblob View Post
    No, Kul'Tiran humans use a mostly unique model/skeleton that is using the Vrykul skeleton. They resemble orcs in basically no way at all, really.

Your complaints are a bit silly. Maybe if the next expansion is just more 'allied races' this will become a problem, but so far we're getting a lot of new allied races, so the sheer number at least makes up for the fact they're only subraces. Yeah, Light Forged and Void Elves suck and are boring and Mag'har are basically just reskins of the normal orc model and even Zandalari are just night elf skeletons (albeit with many new animations, so it's harder to tell).

Not every allied race has been very good. They really did an absolutely horrible job with Light Forged and Void Elves, I actually feel bad for the Alliance lol. But it's not like we're just never getting a real race again, lol. Stop complaining about something like this.
    You can go on WoWhead and look at the animations. They look pretty fucking similar to me.

You can go on WoWhead and look at the animations. They look pretty fucking similar to me.
    Nope. I can see how you'd find them to look similar, but the Kul'tirans are using modified Vrykul skeletons. I mean, to be technical every player race is using the same skeleton anymore (just modified for each race), but Kul'tiran are using the Vrykul's skeleton.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    So, in BC we get Belfs and Goats, which both were new.
    In Cata, we get Twilight and Gobs, both of which already existed but became playable.
    In MoP we got Pandas.
    That's 3 new and unique, 2 reused over the course of several years (~2006 - ~2012)

At the end of Legion/beginning of BfA we get Velf, LFGoat, HMCow, and NBelf.
    Launch of BfA we get MOrc and DIwarves.
    During BfA we get Zand and KTHuman.
    That's 6 basically subraces with very little uniqueness, 1 existing that became playable (Z), and 1 new (KT) over the course of a year or two (assuming we unlock Z&KT somewhere around the midway point).

If the gripe is there are no starting zones, I mean, ok, but how relevant were those starting zones once you leveled past them in about an hour of play?
    Did you go back to them because they pertained to current content? Not really.
    I would take Allied being 20 to start over a fresh 1 with a "unique experience" that, while it may be cool and fun, ultimately is a blip on the /played radar.
    Maybe you rolled a new toon just to experience the starting zone again, but that's about all they are good for after the first playthrough.

If the gripe is that they are not unique enough, ok, I get it, but there's a lot more of them so odds of players liking any of them is higher.
    I personally hate worgen and goblin models and have no desire to play any of them, so in my eyes, those are two absolute wastes and complete throwaway, whereas other people are all about them.
    Cata had 0 new races that interested me, whereas BfA has some (ZandDruid pl0x).
    It's subjective, of course, but what isn't is quantity, and BfA brings the quantity, regardless of opinions on quality.

Bloodsail Admiral CreatureLives's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    Zandalari Trolls and Kul Tiran Humans ARE new races and you get zones for both of them (you just gotta do them last instead of when you first make them)

Saying Zandalari Trolls aren't new because they are still Trolls would be like saying that Blood Elves and Night Elves are the same thing because they are both still Elves and saying that Kul Tiran Humans aren't new because they still look Human would be like saying Dwarves aren't any different than normal Humans. Everything about a Dwarf is similar to a Human with the exception of their size and culture. Those are the same things that separate the Kul Tiran Humans and normal Humans.

I do think Blizz should get rid of the name "Races" though because "Tribes" or "Clans" is more fitting for some of them but there is too much different about both the Zandalari Trolls and Kul Tiran Humans to act like they are nothing new. Not only that but there is an incredibly high chance that the Sethrak and Vulpera end up being Allied Races.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugnomo View Post
    > Community asks for subraces for years.
    > Community gets subraces.
    > "Why don't we get regular races anymore?"

Races like Kultiran Humans are exactly like new races we've had before. They're new models, with new animation rigs. They have entire zones devoted to them and plenty of architecture and flavor. They could have been added in a previous expansion as a regular new race.
    I'd rather have a great amount of cool looking races that are production efficient and don't take too much dev time from blizzard so they can focus on other things, than to have 2 that'll take a huge amount of dev time and will end up being played by an equally small percentage of the player base.
    Yup. I'll give a +1 to this.

Yeah, I remember it like it was a couple expansions ago.
    But this is gonna be the expansion of the Allied Races.
    By the way... are you just in here to find new stuff to complain about and then open thread with vapid rants? Is that like a hobby of yours?

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    *Looks at Zandalari, Kul'tirans, and Vulpera*

You know, I think I do.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Troll posting at his finest

Remember when we got brand new races with a new expansion? They each came with their own starting zones, architecture, mounts, and you could start playing them as soon as the expansion launched. Some were handled better than others, but they were a completely new experience.

Now we have allied races, which are the same races we already have with a couple of different skin colors, hair styles, or other small details. They're not quite as cool as brand new races and on top of that we have to grind a long time to unlock them. They have no unique starting experience, just one quest in a small area and then you're shipped off to Stormwind so you can go quest in Westfall. Instead of the two or three new mounts brand new races used to get, they only get one.

Is this really a change we should be happy with? Is this the future for all new races from this point out?
    Ion already said that Allied Races are a BfA thing during one of their Q&A sessions. They are not a WoW thing. They do not plan on having 8 additional allied races each x-pac or anything like that. It was just a system they are trying out. There might be a few allied races in future expansions, and they wanted to test out how to do it. This is not the norm moving forward.

I don't want them to hold back races I want to play just for the sake of some starting zones.