Page 27 of 42 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotunhammer View Post
    Ummm, still not says it is against GOD, it says it leads to acts that maybe bad, but in itself alcoholism never been said it is a sin.

- - - Updated - - -

True, when they marry again it is considered adultery and that is an act against GOD.
    But people can get divorced and live without marrying again. So the act of divorce itself is not an sin
    LOL, that's pretty a petty argument, considering the vast majority of people remarry after divorce.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalorakk View Post
    Glad you know my politics inside out then :]

I fail to see how forcing a Jewish or a black person to serve violent, hate-filled groups that have attacked their identity is the same as paying a bakery to make you a cake that has a specific meaning behind it, but okay.
    That's the point though. You're saying that a Jewish person could deny someone service, based on the perceived beliefs of the would-be customer. But then the beliefs of the business owner don't factor in to your equation regarding the baker. I'm not religious, but with this later case it started on the day of the court ruling in the bakers favor and seems like bait, almost 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It's a pink cake with blue icing. He's fine with making that. He's just not fine selling it to a transgender person.

Wrong, he found out it was for a Transgender birthday. He even states that, you can say he's lying if you like but it's his excuse. If that same person came in and bought a cake for a different reason that didn't violate his religious belief he would make them a cake.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotunhammer View Post
    Ummm, still not says it is against GOD, it says it leads to acts that maybe bad, but in itself alcoholism never been said it is a sin.

- - - Updated - - -

True, when they marry again it is considered adultery and that is an act against GOD.
    But people can get divorced and live without marrying again. So the act of divorce itself is not an sin
    So let's say Trump stops by, he could not make him a cake for his next wedding based on his religious beliefs.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    I don’t agree with people being gay or transphobic as I really don’t care but what’s the point of targeting some place that is just to make a ruckish? I don’t get why people wouldn’t just ignore the place and go some where else if they don’t want your money screw them give it to some one else.
    The overwhelming majority of gay people wouldn't go there and won't obviously, but thankfully there are a couple of people out there that have the time and backing to make sure people like this guy aren't breaking the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Wnderful Weeknd View Post
    No, it's not harmful to expect someone in a professional setting to be professional. These people aren't asking Christians to invite them to their Sunday afternoon cookouts so they can all hold hands and sing Kumbaya, they're asking them to do their job when they're at work. If you go into a store to buy something and you have the money to pay for it you shouldn't be turned away just because the owner doesn't like that you're *insert sexual orientation/race/religion here*.
    im not against that ideal (professionalism), nor am i on the guys side, but i can't wrap my head around why it should matter, move on and mark the place as a crappy shit show. people egt to hung up on negative stuff and put their life on hold to fight something so easily resolved.
    Be passionate about the craft, achievements, events and community.
    But do not worship the machine, pedestal nor system.
    You cannot afford to be blind, for yourself and others.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Wrong, he found out it was for a Transgender birthday. He even states that, you can say he's lying if you like but it's his excuse. If that same person came in and bought a cake for a different reason that didn't violate his religious belief he would make them a cake.
    How does making a cake for a transgender person violate his religious belief?

7+ Year Old Account
    Currently 47°, -122° ... Originally 53°, -9°
    Quote Originally Posted by jimboa24 View Post
    He had no problem making a cake; what he refused to do was make a custom-design cake specifically for this couple.
    What's interesting about that story? Is that it was found out that this gay couple went to MULTIPLE cake shops until they found that refused them for reasons.

Now, don't misunderstand. I am all for people marrying who they want. Gay marriage should absolutely be a right. But trolling for that perfect moment to get outraged and take it to the press seems somehow... disingenuous?

Quote Originally Posted by Oakshana View Post
    What's interesting about that story? Is that it was found out that this gay couple went to MULTIPLE cake shops until they found that refused them for reasons.
    source: _________

Let me fix the title of this post for you:

"Cake baker who was sought out specifically to be sued rightfully claims he is being targeted after winning his court case"

Odd how yet again, the "tolerance brigade" forgets to mention that the people involved here fully admit they PICKED HIM ON PURPOSE to make it an issue.

7+ Year Old Account
    It isn't about the difficulty. It's an infringement of the customer's rights. Period. Someone stealing your ice cream isn't "okay" just because you can just get another ice cream.

What are you even talking about?

The baker makes cakes. He had no problem with the product he was asked to produce. It's literally what he offers. His issue was that he didn't want to serve that customer, because he's a bigoted shithead.

If you walked into the bakery and asked if he sold car tires or life insurance, and he said "sorry, no, don't sell that here", that's not discrimination. Obviously. This is a ridiculous question to ask.
    They aren´t stealing anything they just won´t serve them.

In which case i just go to the next bakery and laugh about them loosing a paying customer.

See, easy right?

Quote Originally Posted by Ganksinatra View Post
    Odd how yet again, the "tolerance brigade" forgets to mention that the people involved here fully admit they PICKED HIM ON PURPOSE to make it an issue.
    Is breaking the law ok so long as no one points out that you're breaking the law?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    He was fine making cakes for celebrations.
    He suddenly wasn't fine with making a cake when it was for a transgender celebration.

Your attempt to move goalposts fails. His entire position is rooted in denying service to a customer because he's bigoted against the transgendered.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    source: _________
    ....the man is ON RECORD as being SO DEVOUT that he REFUSES TO MAKE HALLOWEEN CAKES. But no, I'm sure it's just a coincidence all of these folks are choosing him.....

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Let me fix the title of this post for you:

"Cake baker who was sought out specifically to be sued rightfully claims he is being targeted after winning his court case"

Who cares? Did he break the law or not? We'll see.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabrotar View Post
    They aren´t stealing anything they just won´t serve them.
    The "stealing" was about a minor infraction of the law.

Which this guy is also committing.

That it's "easy" to replace what you lost does not make the illegal conduct "okay", which is what you're arguing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonkaden View Post
    I am okay with someone that owns a private business that doesn't agree with something to refuse service. Period.
    No spics? No jews?

Really? In 2018, you think that's acceptable?

10+ Year Old Account
    ....the man is ON RECORD as being SO DEVOUT that he REFUSES TO MAKE HALLOWEEN CAKES. But no, I'm sure it's just a coincidence all of these folks are choosing him.....
    Oh, it's on purpose.

But the only person to blame for this baker's legal troubles is the baker. He could've avoided all this by not being a bigoted shithead in the first place.

This is like trying to argue that a lawyer known for money laundering is somehow magically not guilty because someone set him up by asking him to launder some money.

He was fine making cakes for celebrations.
    He suddenly wasn't fine with making a cake when it was for a transgender celebration.

Your attempt to move goalposts fails. His entire position is rooted in denying service to a customer because he's bigoted against the transgendered.
    Because of the type of celebration, seriously, how can you not grasp this concept? That's the argument. In Theory if the transgender person had ask for a birthday cake for someone else, they would have made for them.

That's his excuse, not mine. but when you fail to grasp what his reasoning his, you already failed at your own post.

The "stealing" was about a minor infraction of the law.

Which this guy is also committing.

That it's "easy" to replace what you lost does not make the illegal conduct "okay", which is what you're arguing.
    It's really not. Stop strawmanning. If these people picked him just to make this an issue like the other couple did, they will lose. Again. He has offered them the same thing that he offered that couple, and the courts sided with HIM. It is sickening that people like you are advocating what equates to indentured servitude. You are now owed someone's labor. He offered them a base cake that was already made. They refused and demanded he make a specialty cake. This has happened once before. They lost. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome.....seems I remember a saying about that.