I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Haven't played all that much, but I gotta say, what is it with these k&m controls? It feels like one button does five different things, depending on context, sometimes resulting in me picking flowers in middle of a fight. Ranged controls are bonkers, with some really awkward buttons required to perform even the most basic tasks. Oh, and can't pick diagonal items in the "quick use wheel" with mouse. Diagonal is hard, kay?

Also, beginner weapons feel really weird. I switched from basic s&b to long sword and it feels like I have to sharpen it every other combo, while the damage isn't really that impressive. Sure, I'm new to this, but it's really awkward to have stuff break so fast. Especially when some random shitty critters join the fight, wasting even more durability.

Performance is a really mixed bag. It seemed fine'ish at first, but the next day it was dropping by 20-30 fps at times, and finally completely crashed in town. Supposedly Nvidia screwed up their drivers, but still. The graphics don't seem to be that amazing to result in such performance.

Either way, I can see why so many people have issues... and I haven't even tried multiplayer. It's good that a popular franchise has finally made its' way to PCs, but you'd expect more effort from the developer. This is not some tiny indie studio that can barely afford a port, but a major company. The game itself feels quite good, but the port needs work. Good thing BFA is nearly there, so Monster Hunter can wait for a patch. Or at least better GPU drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by KaPe View Post
    Haven't played all that much, but I gotta say, what is it with these k&m controls? It feels like one button does five different things, depending on context, sometimes resulting in me picking flowers in middle of a fight
    In order to pick flowers in the middle of a fight you need to have your weapon sheathed and be pressing alternate attack while standing on top of a flower for some reason.

Even on console you make very thorough use of every single button on the controller, so its definitely got a lot of buttons to get used to. Its not like its unique to M+KB, that's just what those buttons do. If anything with M+KB you can bind those buttons to be separate buttons if you want.

Also, beginner weapons feel really weird. I switched from basic s&b to long sword and it feels like I have to sharpen it every other combo, while the damage isn't really that impressive. Sure, I'm new to this, but it's really awkward to have stuff break so fast. Especially when some random shitty critters join the fight, wasting even more durability.
    Generally speaking you don't have to sharpen unless your attacks are bouncing.

Since you're likely at the beginning of the game, I'm not sure why you would need to sharpen so often since very little bounces even at red sharpness in low rank, and even then its typically only specific parts that cause bouncing with lower sharpness levels. The game is trying to teach you not to hit those parts in the first place, since they're more resistant and take less damage, by trying to push you away from them.

There's only a 5% difference in damage between green and yellow sharpness, so its never worth stopping mid fight to sharpen to go from yellow to green unless you're bouncing off the entire monster.

Either way, I can see why so many people have issues... and I haven't even tried multiplayer. It's good that a popular franchise has finally made its' way to PCs, but you'd expect more effort from the developer. This is not some tiny indie studio that can barely afford a port, but a major company. The game itself feels quite good, but the port needs work. Good thing BFA is nearly there, so Monster Hunter can wait for a patch. Or at least better GPU drivers.
    It definitely needs some polish, but so did the console release (along with damn near every game that has launched in the last decade+ tbh).

The big thing for me is that none of the issues are preventing me from playing. There's apparently some FPS spikes because of lightning effects, but if you don't use any lightning weapons this is a non issue except while fighting tobi kadachi. Have had 0 performance issues outside of that.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    I'm the same way, Dark souls just doesn't need anywhere near the binds that this game does though. Not to mention how the combat plays out is drastically different.

I think I could rebind stuff and get used to it eventually, but I'm at the disadvantage of having already learned the game on controller (and played the series on handhelds which was basically the same) which is making it a lot harder to want to even bother learning it on M+KB when I'm already comfortable on controller. IMO the games a better experience on a controller, and I'm saying that as a M+KB fanboy in these kinds of games.
    Gotta say after just keeping on going at it I've started to get the hang of it. I changed a few settings like the radial menu and the speed of my camera and now it's very playable. Also switched to another weapon.

Better luck next time

10+ Year Old Account
    Demo for Gen U tomorrow

10+ Year Old Account
    So last night I took down Xeno. I am disappointed, that fight was insanely easy. I was expecting so much more. I spent the whole first half of the fight, not knowing there was a second half, trying to sever its fucking tail but it just wouldn't come off. Then the second half started and the tail came off almost immediately. How fucking stupid.

The thing is just so freaking large, its weak spots are too, that it was pretty damned easy to side step everything it did and hit something vital. I have more trouble taking down Odogaron simply because once it gets low on HP the damned thing doesn't stop moving. Xeno though, even as a bow user, I just bobbed and weaved between its legs and all of its attacks (although the enraged breath attack almost killed me once) and he went down without a single cart. It took almost 20 minutes and I was getting bored near the end.

After finally finishing it I decided to have a go with cheat engine, boosting my bow's damage to 1,000,000. You CANNOT kill it in the first half. I really fucking hate scripted fights like that. I'm assuming I dropped it to 1 HP, because during the second stage I accidentally chucked a stone at it instead of pulling out my bow (pulling left trigger instead of right first) and it died. I've since killed it about 5 times, as it gives really good exp. It's carted me a couple of times, but overall a lackluster fight.

I have to say though that MHW in general is like that. I really didn't have any issues with any of the large monster fights other than Odogaron as mentioned previously. The Rath family on both sides was much easier than I remember them being. Barroth and Kulu may as well have been small monsters. Nerg was about the most challenging overall fight, trying to keep the spines broken...at least as a bow user anyway, but even that I did without much of a hassle.

Everything just feels like it moves slower, more methodical now compared to how they used to. Keep in mind I haven't played a MH game in YEARS, so I have no idea how the more recent games fare. I'm certainly not going to win any speed records with my kills, but after 45 hours played I've probably been carted about 5 times total.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    Finally have time to play and it, seems like Valve and Capcom went full derp for networking. We get dced too many times. Fun nonetheless though.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    So last night I took down Xeno. I am disappointed, that fight was insanely easy. I was expecting so much more. I spent the whole first half of the fight, not knowing there was a second half, trying to sever its fucking tail but it just wouldn't come off. Then the second half started and the tail came off almost immediately. How fucking stupid.

The thing is just so freaking large, its weak spots are too, that it was pretty damned easy to side step everything it did and hit something vital. I have more trouble taking down Odogaron simply because once it gets low on HP the damned thing doesn't stop moving. Xeno though, even as a bow user, I just bobbed and weaved between its legs and all of its attacks (although the enraged breath attack almost killed me once) and he went down without a single cart. It took almost 20 minutes and I was getting bored near the end.

After finally finishing it I decided to have a go with cheat engine, boosting my bow's damage to 1,000,000. You CANNOT kill it in the first half. I really fucking hate scripted fights like that. I'm assuming I dropped it to 1 HP, because during the second stage I accidentally chucked a stone at it instead of pulling out my bow (pulling left trigger instead of right first) and it died. I've since killed it about 5 times, as it gives really good exp. It's carted me a couple of times, but overall a lackluster fight.

I have to say though that MHW in general is like that. I really didn't have any issues with any of the large monster fights other than Odogaron as mentioned previously. The Rath family on both sides was much easier than I remember them being. Barroth and Kulu may as well have been small monsters. Nerg was about the most challenging overall fight, trying to keep the spines broken...at least as a bow user anyway, but even that I did without much of a hassle.

Everything just feels like it moves slower, more methodical now compared to how they used to. Keep in mind I haven't played a MH game in YEARS, so I have no idea how the more recent games fare. I'm certainly not going to win any speed records with my kills, but after 45 hours played I've probably been carted about 5 times total.
    You realize you've only beaten the story and still have hundreds of hours of content left, right? There are several systems that you don't even unlock until you level up more after beating Xeno.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    I have to say though that MHW in general is like that. I really didn't have any issues with any of the large monster fights other than Odogaron as mentioned previously.
    Odogaron is really easy too once you realize most of his attacks are super linear and if you keep moving sideways he never hits you.

Yeah though you've only gone through normal and base high rank, so you haven't done anything that's supposed to be really challenging yet. You just reached the "now we can play the game" part of the game.

Now you move on to tempered investigations, arch tempered elder dragons, etc etc.

There is no Grank in this game as of yet, so its obviously not going to be as difficult as past entries. They also give you a bunch of new tools and QoL changes that make hunting easier, so its to be expected if you're taking advantage of every crutch the game is offering.

Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    Odogaron is really easy too once you realize most of his attacks are super linear and if you keep moving sideways he never hits you.

Yeah though you've only gone through normal and base high rank, so you haven't done anything that's supposed to be really challenging yet. You just reached the "now we can play the game" part of the game.

Now you move on to tempered investigations, arch tempered elder dragons, etc etc.

There is no Grank in this game as of yet, so its obviously not going to be as difficult as past entries. They also give you a bunch of new tools and QoL changes that make hunting easier, so its to be expected if you're taking advantage of every crutch the game is offering.
    Odogaron is easy once you figure him out but looing at all the new monsters he is easily the best. Xeno is a worse Shiggy Miggy, Bagel is a worse Steve, Ku Yaku #notmyyiankutku and the list goes on. There are monsters like Tetsucabra and Zinogre with direct animation/outline dupes that seem to be just a case of 'the new map system needs smaller monsters.

Which honestly is what i think is the biggest crux of all Worlds problems. The maps are tight corridors and so many monsters are made for the wide open plains of past games. Theres absolutely no way things like Dinovaldo or Gammooth ever show up.

Conversely we have GU which has shit going up to the scale of Lao Shan Lung and i don't now about you but part of the thrill of monhun is increasingly giant monsters. Zora Magdaros was a fun Jhen Moran style 'siege' fight but the lack monsters bigger than a Rathalos of maes the difficulty climb feel more artificial.

Like remember past games going from stuff the size of Brachydios and going up to Lagiacrus or Gravios? and then bigger than that?

@dope_danny They introduced larger monsters though, kulve, pickle, behemoth. All huge monsters that have been added since launch.

The size of them isn't something that's gotten to me at all, furious rajang is one of the most infamous monters in the series and its pretty damned tiny.

I don't know that I'd make the comparisons you did, xeno is nothing like the magala's, doesn't seem like its trying to be either outside of just the whole fancy dragon thing. The fight is a completely different thing though. Kulu is fine as an alternative to yian to me. And bagel vs steve is again two completely different monsters with two completely different purposes. Bagels a really weird mob to hate on, cause he's definitely a standout amongst the new monsters for a lot of people. Steve was a really forgettable fight on the other hand, its biggest achievement was being a really easy monster to farm to sell parts for zenny.

My biggest problems are the lack of difficulty (worse yet, things actually being significantly easier solo vs multiplayer) and the way they went about the end game grind which honestly is a problem for me in every single one of the MH games. Like what possessed them to reintroduce a random quest system? What part of that is enjoyable having to RNG into the investigations you want and then RNG the amount of rewards you get to then RNG into the insanely rare decos you want? Who designs that and thinks its a good thing?

The size of the monsters is a really small (heh) problem by comparison.

10+ Year Old Account
    not enough monster variety in World TBH. And too small a number.

Yeah its especially bad because once you get into investigations you stop wanting to hunt half the monsters in the game ever.

They really should've scaled everything up for the investigations so you want to fight the whole roster instead of just a handful.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    not enough monster variety in World TBH. And too small a number.
    Right. I was having a conversation with a couple of my friends about this. There are a boatload of monsters that are not in this game but have been in others.

Basarios, Cephadrome, Gendrome, Gravios, Gypceros, Iodrome, Khezu, Monoblos, Plesioth, Velocidrome, Yian Kut-Ku, Fatalis from the original, and the various colored versions from G.

Blangonga, Congalala, Daimyo Hermitaur, Bulldrome, Giadrome, Rajang, Shogun Ceanataur, and Chameleos from MH2.

Akantor and Tigrex from MHP 2nd/Freedom 2

Hypnocatrice, Nargacuga, Ukanlos, and the various colored versions of the ones from MH2, from Freedom Unite.

Barioth, Gigginox, Goul, Great Baggi and Jaggi, Lagiacrus, Qurupeco and Royal Ludroth from MH Tri.

Duramboros, Great Wroggi, Lagombi, Nibelsnarf, Volvidon and Zinogre, and various colored versions of previous monsters, from Portable 3rd.

Brachydios from MH 3G/3 Ultimate.

I could go on. I don't really know much about the newer ones. I also didn't list Elder Dragons. Point being, they have a smorgasbord of monsters to release as DLCs for this game. Some of them, like the Kongas (gorillas), would've been perfect for the Ancient Forest. This game has the potential to be THE definitive version of Monster Hunter. I really, truly hope this comes out like it should, and Capcom doesn't just abandon it a few patches down the road like they do everything else.

And not just monsters. They can continue to add maps. We don't even need a storyline for them. Or, they could just make a large DLC that has us go to ANOTHER 'new world' type area that has different monsters in it. Or they can bring back one of the old-world maps. It doesn't matter, the point is, there is SO MUCH material for them to pull from.
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, you're comparing an entry that's built completely from scratch, to entries that have been building on top of each other for ages. World was never gonna have as many monsters because they take time to make in the new engine.

It's like comparing content of a new MMORPG to WoW's 15 years of content, they'll never match it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattleya View Post
    I mean, you're comparing an entry that's built completely from scratch, to entries that have been building on top of each other for ages. World was never gonna have as many monsters because they take time to make in the new engine.

It's like comparing content of a new MMORPG to WoW's 15 years of content, they'll never match it.
    Exactly, Tri didn't even have 20 monsters.

Quote Originally Posted by MrTharne View Post
    Exactly, Tri didn't even have 20 monsters.
    Well Tri is also the worst monhun YEAH I SAID IT.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Yeah I mean underwater combat, nuff said.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Tri was my favorite before MHW came out. However without the online hunts being available, yeah, the game is short and not a lot of variety. I played it recently on the Dolphin emulator and was disappointed when I found out that many of the fights I remember doing were actually online, meaning I can't play them anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

Man...I can't get an Azure Kirin Horn to save my freaking life. I break the horn 100% of the time, but I never get it as a carve. UGH. It's basically the only item I'm missing!

10+ Year Old Account
    i just wanted zinogre and tigrex, got to the elder dragons farming part on HR (with the wonky multiplayer on pc) and im already going back to other games :C

Also i disliked the dodogama fight, it felt way too easy for how late it comes into the game, felt like a more boring tetsucabra.
    Last edited by barackopala; 2018-08-18 at 11:07 PM.
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35