Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

How did Sargeras end up on Azeroth?

I haven't played the last parts of Legion, but I have watched all the cinematics.
    In the last cinematic, Sargeras is pulled from Azeroth by the other titans, and then he stabs the planet.
    But how did he end up there in the first place is not explained in the cinematics. I know that Illidan made Argus appear next to Azeroth, but there was no sign of Sargeras.
    Can someone explain?

If you look up at the skybox throughout the raid, you'll see that gigantic fel-storm getting closer and closer to Azeroth; Sargeras is hidden within this storm. By making possible for the forces of Azeroth to reach Argus via that gigantic portal, Illidan also made it possible for Sargeras to reach the planet more easily.

Its biggest bullshit from Legion if you ask me. Sargeras was known being like really far away from Azeroth and thats why he needed Burning Legion to do his work. Since they could travel between worlds much faster. The closest thing Sargeras had was his avatar on Azeroth that Aegwynn defeated in past and later PC defeated in ToS.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FriendOrTraitor View Post
    If you look up at the skybox throughout the raid, you'll see that gigantic fel-storm getting closer and closer to Azeroth; Sargeras is hidden within this storm. By making possible for the forces of Azeroth to reach Argus via that gigantic portal, Illidan also made it possible for Sargeras to reach the planet more easily.
    Sargeras couldn't reach Argus either.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripsnarl View Post
    Sargeras couldn't reach Argus either.
    ? Argus was the Legion's home base. There hasn't been any confirmation whatsoever that Sargeras wasn't on Argus - and going by the Draenei backstory, Sargeras definitely can reach Argus. Do you think Sargeras was so eccentric that he set his army's homebase and headquarter on a planet he couldn't reach?
    Last edited by Qualia; 2018-08-18 at 12:57 PM.
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang
    Donnons le sang de guillotine
    Pour guerir la secheresse de la guillotine
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang.

15+ Year Old Account
    Alright thanks guys, it's clearer now.

Quote Originally Posted by Qualia View Post
    ? Argus was the Legion's home base. There hasn't been any confirmation whatsoever that Sargeras wasn't on Argus - and going by the Draenei backstory, Sargeras definitely can reach Argus. Do you think Sargeras was so eccentric that he set his army's homebase and headquarter on a planet he couldn't reach?
    If Draenei could reach Azeroth from Argus using only space ship how Sargeras wasn't able to do the same?

Main point was that Sargeras couldn't reach Azeroth himself because it would take very very very long time. That the reason he used avatars and Burning Legion.

If Sargeras was on Argus Azeroth would be done even before NELF become NELF.

Deleted
    If Draenei could reach Azeroth from Argus using only space ship how Sargeras wasn't able to do the same?

Main point was that Sargeras couldn't reach Azeroth himself because it would take very very very long time. That the reason he used avatars and Burning Legion.

So, you missed the massive portal Illidan opened between Argus and Azeroth?

Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    So, you missed the massive portal Illidan opened between Argus and Azeroth?
    And you missed whole point of our conversation.

Yeah there isn't much pointing to Sargeras ever being on Argus physically. He corrupted the KJ and Archimonde through visions and he talked to KJ through visions. Since Azeroth seems to be one of his main points of interests I wonder what would be more important than getting to Azeroth if he could just follow the Exodar.

But thinking about Argus and the end of legion too hard is getting everyone headaches because of the several plotholes anyway.

7+ Year Old Account
    after the rift opened he swirled around azeroth.

the cloud around azeroth that you see on argus/antorus IS sargeras.

Formerly known as Arafal

So basically Sargeras (who isnt said to be on Argus at that time, he's been travelling the universe destroying worlds) was able to travel through a rift between Argus and Azeroth created by Sargerite Keystone (you know, his OWN keystone). So why was Illidan able to do it and someone else (be it Sargeras, KJ/Archimonde or another high ranked demon) was not? 10k years attempting to get to Azeroth, and it was actually so easy and within Sargeras' reach. Why?

Another thing. A giant felstorm around the planet. Then out of this felstorm emerges Sargeras himself. Enormous demonic titan. Then he stabs the planet with his enormous sword. Why is NOONE mentioning it? Like, basically all of Azeroth denizens should have seen that. It was a doomsday come true. And not a single word about it from anyone. Yeah, Magni is concerned about the wound. Azerite is leaking. Thats all. Nothing about the enormous felstorm and Sargeras himself being visible to all of Azeroth.

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    It's dumb and you can tell they just stitched together the story without really thinking it through. At the very last moment of the expac we see sargeras on top of Azeroth like "hiyaaaa" when he's been annoyingly absent from basically...15 years of lore?

Seriously, all this talk we've endured over the years of how big and bad sargeras is and how he's soooo powerful that he couldn't even be summoned (cuz I guess portals have power level limits?) And after a couple decades of build up and hype, he couldn't even be bothered to show up for his very own expansion until literally the very last moment when he's already lost where he's caught dry humping Azeroth in cloud form?

What the actual fk? That was worse than that last minute 'there must always be a lich king' BS blizzard pulled when ICC dropped in wrath
    This is the funniest analysis of the plot and end of Legion I've seen. I loved the actual expansion but the story wasn't thoroughly thought out at all, that's obvious, but that in particular made me laugh so hard.

The "there must always be a Lich King" BS was bad too, but I didn't mind it as much since we least killed a LK.

Deleted
    And you missed whole point of our conversation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripsnarl
    Argus is nowhere near Azeroth.

The Draenei didn't reach Azeroth using only "space ship". It's way more advanced than that. The Tempest Keep and the Exodar, which was originally part of the Tempest Keep, are dimensional ships - they jump through dimension, using teleport and warping times to reach their destinations. Quoting Blizzard:
    Quote Originally Posted by Metzen
    To be clear, we’re not talking about having the Millennium Falcon cruising around the Twisting Nether (I’m certain there would be some legal issues there, to say the least). The draenei ‘nether-ship’ you’ve been hearing about is far more than it seems. It’s part of a larger dimension-traveling fortress called Tempest Keep that essentially teleports through alternate realities. It doesn’t bank and roll or shoot proton torpedoes (not yet, anyway).
    Or, quoting Shard of Exodar's tooltip: "The draenei capital city is able to transcend dimensions and even warp time itself. What could a sliver of its power do in the hands of a mere mortal?".

Why can't Sargeras do the same? Because that, like opening portals, would take too much power as Sargeras is both too big and too powerful - definitely way more than just a bunch of Draenei.

Quote Originally Posted by keymil View Post
    So basically Sargeras (who isnt said to be on Argus at that time, he's been travelling the universe destroying worlds) was able to travel through a rift between Argus and Azeroth created by Sargerite Keystone (you know, his OWN keystone). So why was Illidan able to do it and someone else (be it Sargeras, KJ/Archimonde or another high ranked demon) was not? 10k years attempting to get to Azeroth, and it was actually so easy and within Sargeras' reach. Why?

Another thing. A giant felstorm around the planet. Then out of this felstorm emerges Sargeras himself. Enormous demonic titan. Then he stabs the planet with his enormous sword. Why is NOONE mentioning it? Like, basically all of Azeroth denizens should have seen that. It was a doomsday come true. And not a single word about it from anyone. Yeah, Magni is concerned about the wound. Azerite is leaking. Thats all. Nothing about the enormous felstorm and Sargeras himself being visible to all of Azeroth.
    Because Sargeras only started moving towards us when we started assaulting Antorus? As others have said, if you look at the skybox during Antorus, you see the Fel Storm coming closer and closer to Azeroth until the very end where it started coming in contact. It's not like he was next to Azeroth all the time before we started attacking Antorus.

Presumably, the Keystone need to be attuned to a planet to mark its location. The Legion has never been able to get the Keystone to Azeroth until "Legion" expansion - then we get it back shortly after. There simply wasn't enough time for "someone else" powerful enough to get to Azeroth with the keystone and open that massive of a portal with it. While the Keystone helps a lot, it's not like random demon mooks are as powerful as Illidan, either.
    Last edited by Qualia; 2018-08-18 at 05:01 PM.

Sargeras was likely on Argus during the War of the Ancients, given we can see the Krokul have legends of Broxigar and a few of his personal items - I don't see how they'd have gotten a hold of those things if the portal during the WotA led anywhere other than Argus, and we already know Broxigar cut Sargeras when he jumped through the portal.

So maybe not Sargeras' real body, but an avatar of his. The portal collapsing, as I understand, was enough to destroy the avatar's body and leave Sargeras as a consciousness. I reckon that was on Argus until the present day, and he took the form of the Felstorm to corrupt Azeroth. I believe, though I don't think it's supported by much, that the other Titans forced Sargeras back into a bodily form so they could imprison him, giving him just enough time to stab Azeroth.

Quote Originally Posted by Soeroah View Post
    Sargeras was likely on Argus during the War of the Ancients, given we can see the Krokul have legends of Broxigar and a few of his personal items - I don't see how they'd have gotten a hold of those things if the portal during the WotA led anywhere other than Argus, and we already know Broxigar cut Sargeras when he jumped through the portal.

So maybe not Sargeras' real body, but an avatar of his. The portal collapsing, as I understand, was enough to destroy the avatar's body and leave Sargeras as a consciousness. I reckon that was on Argus until the present day, and he took the form of the Felstorm to corrupt Azeroth. I believe, though I don't think it's supported by much, that the other Titans forced Sargeras back into a bodily form so they could imprison him, giving him just enough time to stab Azeroth.
    That was Sargeras' real body during WoTA and in "Legion". Both the triology and Chronicle made that clear that Sargeras himself was trying to cross over in WoTA. However, Chronicle changed the previous lore slightly: previously, during WoTA, it was said that the collapse of the portal destroyed Sargeras' body and he "ceased to be" - this was the general impression for a long time. Yet, Chronicle 1 only said that he was only ripped back into the Nether instead ("In that moment, Sargeras was ripped back into the Twisting Nether") so it's no longer necessary that his body was destroyed anymore.

A storm - or more appropriate, a big mass of stardust - is a form that every Titans at their full power can take. It was described in Chronicle that "When the titans finally awoke, they did so as living worlds. Cosmic winds howled across their gigantic form, bodies shrouded in a cloak of stardust, skin crisscrossed with silvery mountain peaks and ocean shimmering with latent magic".

That was Sargeras' real body during WoTA and in "Legion". Both the triology and Chronicle made that clear that Sargeras himself was trying to cross over in WoTA. However, Chronicle changed the previous lore slightly: previously, during WoTA, it was said that the collapse of the portal destroyed Sargeras' body and he "ceased to be" - this was the general impression for a long time. Yet, Chronicle 1 only said that he was only ripped back into the Nether instead ("In that moment, Sargeras was ripped back into the Twisting Nether") so it's no longer necessary that his body was destroyed anymore.

A storm - or more appropriate, a big mass of stardust - is a form that every Titans at their full power can take. It was described in Chronicle that "When the titans finally awoke, they did so as living worlds. Cosmic winds howled across their gigantic form, bodies shrouded in a cloak of stardust, skin crisscrossed with silvery mountain peaks and ocean shimmering with latent magic".
    Fair enough. I suppose Sargeras, at least, must be able to change his size - Eredar under his command seem to be able to, and possibly the other titans. Otherwise I'm not sure how he could be standing on Argus during WotA, so I guess it was more a matter of bringing his power through than his physical form at that stage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Illidan used the Sargerite Keystone to open a rift in the space near Argus to Azeroth so they could port back. Course this rift works both ways, Azeroth peeps can get to Argus and Legion can go from Argus to Azeroth so thus Azeroth became in danger of being messed up by Sargeras. Not hard to follow.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

I'm really glad you came into this thread, because I'm aghast at how people have missed very clearly defined moments in the story.

If anything, when Illidan ripped that portal the reason Khadgar was so shocked was because Illidan gambled the fate of the entire world on ONE shot. When on Argus, Legion ships were flying straight into Azeroth through that portal. The rift between Azeroth and the twisting Nether was blown right open. I thought it was imminently clear that having a rift that large meant Sargeras could manifest in his FULL form right next to Azeroth.

The kind of form that could cleave planets.

Anyway, appreciate the lore drops. +1

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    If it's not hard to follow how come you explained it wrong?

The Legion has been invading Azeroth for decades, obviously they knew where it was at. And even when the portal DID open where was Sargy? How come he's a talking fart bubble talking to KJ on his spaceship (coming from Argus)and not there with him? How come he's just a voice talking to Aggramar on Argus and not there with him? How come he literally ignores the only beings in the universe that can stop his plan? While they are literally fking up his home and army on Argus? Dude is trying to take over the universe, but he calls in sick and phones in like everyday? Gimme a break
    They don't know the location that's the problem. They need portals to take them there, opened from Azeroth's side. That's why Sargeras couldn't just walk over