Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Apolyc View Post
    First, yes i was looking for genuine answers / promote discussion. Second, i never suggested that only people with psychological issues would play action RPG's, that is something you are reading way too much into. Third, your post could have been summed up in the last 6 words of your post.

Perhaps you get your dopamine kick off trying to tear random faceless people on the internet down? Maybe you feel superior? Regardless of whatever it was that caused you to type this out instead of contributing to the discussion, thanks for your last 6 word response.
    If you were looking for genuine answers, then why was your closing sentence about it being a psychological issue and filling a life void? Why would you just jump to such a irrational conclusion? "I think it's stupid, so obviously anyone who would want it must have issues."

Why not just a simple "Hey guys, help me understand, why you find it fun to mow through mobs in 1-2 hits? why do you like to power pull dungeons?" and skip all the "Psycological mumbo jumbo" talk

Deleted
    First, yes i was looking for genuine answers / promote discussion. Second, i never suggested that only people with psychological issues would play action RPG's, that is something you are reading way too much into. Third, your post could have been summed up in the last 6 words of your post.

Perhaps you get your dopamine kick off trying to tear random faceless people on the internet down? Maybe you feel superior? Regardless of whatever it was that caused you to type this out instead of contributing to the discussion, thanks for your last 6 word response.
    I wonder if you are trying to provoke people on purpose or if you are one of those people who want to feel powerful in the internet - by trying to bash others down. You say his post didn't contribute to the discussion and that he tried to "tear random people on the internet down", yet you do exactly the same. Before you claim that "but I said nothing bad to him!" then please note, everyone can see through your passive-aggressive questions.

On-topic: Most of us are casual players who play for enjoyment and I personally believe that most of us don't seek to be powerful in game to fill an empty gap in our real lives. Character progression is just essential part of RPG's and the big player base don't even play RPG's anymore, but instead play skill based games where the only progress is your personal skill. You're trying to overanalyze this shit, if you are really interested in this matter then read some actual research such as mentioned on the second page.

Every post of yours is loaded with prejudices so I suppose you are just trolling/not really interested in this matter, but trying to make someone angry by forcing the agenda that gamers are missing something irl. I made a quick analysis and came to the conclusion that you got rekt by someone/benched from a guild because you weren't good enough and now your trying to make yourself feel better by claiming that since they are more progressed in a game their real lives must suck.
    Last edited by mmocddaf3ba36b; 2018-08-23 at 01:07 PM.

Feeling powerful is something I love in game, but I see it rather as a goal to strive for than the main reason to play.
    The main reason to play is immersion. I want to feel dragged into the game and "forget" for a time that it's just a game. In fact it's the decisive factor : if I can't be immersed in the game, it will not get my interest.

That's the reason I highly dislike what goes into the way of immersion - menus, obvious mechanical systems that go against the spirit of the game, plot hole and so on.

I do not in my 35+ years of gaming remember at any moment feeling powerful from doing anything in a game. LOL.

I have felt smart from figuring out a tough puzzle. I have felt slightly agile doing things like finishing the original Battle Toads (lol).

that's all.

If blizz released 2 versions of BfA, versions that could not interact with other, and one version was like retail and a second version was built making you feel godly from the start and designed so you steamroll everything, then Steamroll WoW would be barren and without players because everyone would get bored with that playstyle.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

damn double post
    Last edited by bufferunderrun; 2018-08-23 at 01:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Obviously this issue doesn't affect me however unlike some raiders I don't see the point in taking satisfaction in this injustice, it's wrong, just because it doesn't hurt me doesn't stop it being wrong, the player base should stand together when Blizzard do stupid shit like this not laugh at the ones being victimised.

Deleted
    it depends.. wow for me was always the i get stronger and stronger and yes i can finally steamroll these asshats. i dont need/want to still have to watch out on freaking entry level content (Worldquests) when im geared (lets say uldir hc/mythic). so right now its okay that its not super steamroll' right now.. but it shouldnt scale endlessly.. in legion when arugs came out you actually had to pay attention again (maybe just a little some people more some less) but thats totaly fine because it was a different part of the game.

lets not forget they still get 13/20 dollars from every player every month.. so yes they should be able to pump out more content over the corse of the game. and not just make worldquests and let them scale just so the content wil be the same for 2 years. (less work more profit)

do i want to steamroll trough dark souls? hell no.

they're just content locusts,and aren't worth worrying about really

Maybe im looking into things too much, maybe the dynamic of video games have changed and im from an older generation, but do people not want challenge anymore with games and only play to feel like a god? One doesnt have to look far on this forum to see the complaints of not being able to 1-shot enemies or overgear content. The complaints that the shouldnt have to use CD's or play cautiously to survive. The complaints you cant mass pull in dungeons or WQ's and come out without a scratch.

This is mostly in RPG's i see this. My brother was telling me of a D&D campaign he ran and he made it a little more challenging because his players were long time players and very experienced. He then told me how they did nothing but bitch and moan about how dumb it was they couldnt just steamroll enemies. (The campaign was more survival based where they were escaped prisoners who had all their gear stripped away from them, so yes they wouldnt be as strong as they normally could be).

Is this psychological? Do people only use games like this to fill some void in their life? To feel some semblance of control and power they dont feel in their real life?
    I play rpg for the sense of advancement and story, scaling level is ok as give more immersion to the story and to the environment (as levels are just a game mechanic) but when scaling impact ilvl then it negate the entire advancement feeling.

Blizzard need to keep the level scaling and scrap the further ilvl scaling, gear should always push u ahead or but that is just a dream that will never be realized enemies should be like in oblivion as you go stronger they get better gear themselves but that in wow is like asking them to update Silvermoon, just a pipe dream.
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Obviously this issue doesn't affect me however unlike some raiders I don't see the point in taking satisfaction in this injustice, it's wrong, just because it doesn't hurt me doesn't stop it being wrong, the player base should stand together when Blizzard do stupid shit like this not laugh at the ones being victimised.

there's a difference in wanting to be challenged and not wanting the content you've done 50 million times to be just as tedious as it was the first time you know.

yes we want to feel powerful, that also means bigger and bigger challenges, but it also means the previous challenges SHOULD feel more and more trivial.

Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    One of the points of an RPG is to progress from weak to strong. You defeat weak enemies to move on to stronger enemies, who then become weak as you grow stronger. It gives a sense of progression of the game.

Come with me on a journey to Septermber 9th, 1999. The world was coming to an end thanks to the Y2K bug where planes would fall from the sky and nuclear reactors would meltdown and explode. But there was a game coming out on this day for the Playstation. A game people were greatly anticipating. That game was Final Fantasy 8. It had such realistic graphics, and the cutscenes were the best we had ever seen. However, it did one thing that made people view it as one of the worst Final Fantasies ever made (well, 2 things: the other was the Junction system). What was that 1 thing? It scaled monsters to your level. It took out that progression of getting stronger, because those goblins from the beginning? Well they are also level 99 now. People asked what was the point in grinding out the levels when the creatures around you would just get stronger? Why even play it? Sure the story was good, but one of the biggest draws of an RPG is progressively getting stronger.

Now, back to the present day. All enemies in BfA scale with your level from 110 to 120. Eh, sure why not. They won't scale once we reach 121 in 2 years. However, as you get stronger by getting stronger gear, so do the enemies. When you dinged 120, with your 290 ilevel, you saw the world quests and dungeons giving 295+ ilevel. You get some, but wait. You don't feel stronger, because the enemies you had been fighting grew stronger too. You get to 340 ilevel, so you should be stronger. But no, the enemies grew in power to match. Let's say it is August 23rd 2020, and the next expansion is about to drop in a couple weeks. You are completely decked out in final tier mythic gear of ilevel 400. You continue to do WQs for the gold, war resources, and reputation for the bonus chests for every 10k rep you gain. You think you should just steamroll the enemies for the WQs. But no, the enemies in the world are now stronger than monsters from normal dungeons, because you have ilevel 400 gear.

Why play past 120 if you will never get stronger?
    The point you're missing is that the mobs do not get stronger at the same rate you do. If I remember the blue post they gain power at 20% the rate you do. So acting like levelling up and gearing up is pointless is nothing more than fallacy. It's like saying "I earned $100 from work today but had to pay $20 to taxes, that $80 may as well not exist because I didn't get to keep the $20."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bigjason View Post
    it depends.. wow for me was always the i get stronger and stronger and yes i can finally steamroll these asshats. i dont need/want to still have to watch out on freaking entry level content (Worldquests) when im geared (lets say uldir hc/mythic). so right now its okay that its not super steamroll' right now.. but it shouldnt scale endlessly.. in legion when arugs came out you actually had to pay attention again (maybe just a little some people more some less) but thats totaly fine because it was a different part of the game.

lets not forget they still get 13/20 dollars from every player every month.. so yes they should be able to pump out more content over the corse of the game. and not just make worldquests and let them scale just so the content wil be the same for 2 years. (less work more profit)

do i want to steamroll trough dark souls? hell no.
    This just in, money doesn't fix everything. Throwing money at an issue doesn't fix it. The whole "lolblizz with their billions can't do anything right" argument is just cringeworthy. By that argument the US should be a utopia.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

I play video games to kill time. They don't make me feel anything more or less than I already feel when I'm not playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    Feeling powerful is something I love in game, but I see it rather as a goal to strive for than the main reason to play.
    Same here. I want to work my way up towards being a powerful character.

I know that nowadays, many seem to shift towards a more casual, more instant gratification kind of experience, but the old rpg formula still works. There's a reason why things like levels and talents and learning new spells exist. Even if you don't want a particularly hard content to have to go through, you can still have the experience of progression. From the story aspect, I was satisfied with the character progression in WoW up until BfA, because I felt like I've been through enough just as an adventurer, and that it was time to start getting a certain amount of recognition, eventually leading me to be a leader in my respective class order.
    Even if you planned to be nothing more than a freelance explorer/mercenary/warrior, it's normal to expect you'd earn a certain status among people just because of everything you've accomplished along the way.

Now, starting off a game as a godlike being immediately and thrashing everything, well, that's something that I really can't seem to enjoy that much. Feels kind of plain and uninspiring to me.
    Last edited by Archon14; 2018-08-23 at 01:31 PM.

I play for the sole purpose of vegging out and minor entertainment. I could care less if it takes me 2 seconds or 10 seconds to kill something or 20 minutes vs 30 minutes to run a 5 man. End of the day playing an online game is a complete waste of time.

if I wanted to feel powerful I'd just assume go do something real.

Yes!

To human brain, the feeling of having $1 million in real life and 1 million gold in WoW are the same.
    It is the same chemistry in your brain.

This is why people are willing to pay a small amount real life money ($100) for a huge currency/gear in a virtual game.

Deleted
    I want a game to kick my ass, get good at it and then kick its ass. That is what empowers me. Praise the sun and May the good blood guide your way.

No not ONLY, but it is a motivator in many a story. See "Heroes journey".

That said, things are not nearly as bad as people are making it out to be, but the fact that tweaking is required is more pronounced atm because we're actively leveling. It'll calm down. And then we'll start complaining about raid design again

Do People Play Games ONLY to Feel Powerful?
    I think the psychology is a bit different... we were coming off a huge bump in power last expansion and now we are noticeably weaker. Rationally people know this... however they miss that feeling of progression... with mobs scaling with level/ ilevel... they are not seeing as rapid an increase over these trivial encounters. They know in 6 months they will be trivial... it's just a momentary lapse in expectation at the beginning of the expansion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    My number one reason for playing a game is immersion. The sights or visuals and the sounds. The places where it take you where you don't normal go to. Next would be the story. Everybody likes a good movie or a good book. But for me has been a gamer sinice a child, WoW would be one of the nostalgic and go to choice for a game if you ask me.