Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Ah, cool that they change the Great Sea Ray right after I lose out on one. I fished up a second and a third in back-to-back casts, but couldn't get the third one because I already had one in my inventory, already had the mount learned, and had no way to access a mailbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagrash View Post
    Seems to me it's more a sign that alot of people are incredibly pathetic and don't have the patience to simply see what it all leads to without screaming and crying about it. So yes they have to comfort them somehow..

Sad really.
    This. If the game was a book, it's like people judging the entire story based on the first chapter.

Still, probably haters gonna hate no matter how it all pans out. People make up their minds fast, and are slow to change them.

Quote Originally Posted by familiar View Post
    When you frantically have to explain that your storyline won't be as bad as in previous years, and people have to be patient because the story will get better - then this is probably a sign that something's not quite right with your storytelling
    That is quite common in story telling actually. And there are MANY stories inside the current content that are interesting and could lead to fun and interesting things. Like any good fantasy, I have my theories based on reading/playing chapter 1 and I'm now waiting on chapter 2 and beyond to see how all unfolds. I don't think Blizzard has to defend anything, its just fine. Chapter 1 (and often well beyond) are always setups and character introductions for the action that will occur later.
    Last edited by VXBlade; 2018-08-23 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by familiar View Post
    When you frantically have to explain that your storyline won't be as bad as in previous years, and people have to be patient because the story will get better - then this is probably a sign that something's not quite right with your storytelling
    Right? If anything the story will end up being worse than garrosh one. He got developed during 3 xpacs to become the enemy. Sylvanas just said screw it and burned a tree city with all citizens inside for the thrill of it. I think not even Garrosh would do crap like that.
    English is not my main language so grammar errors might happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Myta View Post
    TBC's rather meger 'Kill Illidan because reasons' storyline.
    I wish this was tattooed on the forehead of all the idiots that tout TBC as "the best xpac".

Not to mention they really needed something to get the factions at each others' throats especially given the Alliance has King crybaby-wussbag as their leader. Either way jumping to the conclusion that we'll see a MoP style story this early is plain ignorant.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Morforg View Post
    This. If the game was a book, it's like people judging the entire story based on the first chapter.

Still, probably haters gonna hate no matter how it all pans out. People make up their minds fast, and are slow to change them.
    If a book is terrible on the first chapter you can expect it to be terrible in chapter 2,3,4,etc.
    I can't remember a single book I've read were this didn't apply and I even finish the terrible ones normally.

Based on Blizzards storytelling history the whole judging is based on solid reasons. The only good thing they did in years was the Suramar quest story.

Deleted
    Poor Ferals, like "0 dmg" * 20% will do anything. Change at least Berserk to actual DPS cooldown.

Blizzard, where is the fix for reputation loss of the "WANTED"-quests as a Horde player?

Where is the reputation fix for Horde players on the Wanted-quests?

Quote Originally Posted by Professional Extra View Post
    If a book is terrible on the first chapter you can expect it to be terrible in chapter 2,3,4,etc.
    I can't remember a single book I've read were this didn't apply and I even finish the terrible ones normally.

Based on Blizzards storytelling history the whole judging is based on solid reasons. The only good thing they did in years was the Suramar quest story.
    Well, perhaps keep an open mind for the rest of the story. If you don't like it, fair enough, likes and dislikes are all subjective anyway, but if you are displeased with how BfA starts, and are expecting the rest of the story to continue displeasing you, you might find it all a little self-fulfilling.

On the other hand, I've read tons of books that started 'badly' and got better over time, or got off to a great start but dwindled afterwards. It's all a matter of expectation I guess.

With stuff like WoW, I don't expect to be that impressed with the storytelling. If there are elements I like (like Sylvanas nuking Teldrassil, probably cause it's a bit controversial), then great. If not, well I wasn't expecting anything special anyway.

Blizzard should just come out and explain why they're making Sylvanas unlikable.

"We need more Alliance players, so we hope that some current Horde players get fed up with her ridiculous actions and reroll."

Quote Originally Posted by Professional Extra View Post

Have you ever read the lord of the rings series? Or probably most fantasy series?

I honestly didn't even start enjoying those books until half way through, the picture that is getting painted is tediously long but rewarding.

Quote Originally Posted by h8ryan View Post
    Have you ever read the lord of the rings series? Or probably most fantasy series?

I honestly didn't even start enjoying those books until half way through, the picture that is getting painted is tediously long but rewarding.
    Totally. The LotR is a good example of stories that start shakily - or where overall consistency/quality is a bit sketchy, I still find a lot of Two Towers a grinding slog - but worth persevering with.

Quote Originally Posted by Nefastus View Post
    Right? If anything the story will end up being worse than garrosh one. He got developed during 3 xpacs to become the enemy. Sylvanas just said screw it and burned a tree city with all citizens inside for the thrill of it. I think not even Garrosh would do crap like that.
    Its like reading the novellas was super hard or something.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ablock87 View Post
    Blizzard should just come out and explain why they're making Sylvanas unlikable.

"We need more Alliance players, so we hope that some current Horde players get fed up with her ridiculous actions and reroll."
    Hopefully, those horde players would rather wait for blizzard to (inevitably) kill her off and have Baine's pansy-ass take over instead of giving up and going to the side of plot armor, deus ex, and the Gennduin broship.

Quote Originally Posted by Mardux View Post
    It's like fully understanding a MMO character's in-game actions shouldn't require reading novels outside the game, or something.

Stood in the Fire Grimalkin of Old's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    People can't see the difference between "story", "storytelling" and "narrative", I have no other explanation for what I've just read.

Quote Originally Posted by Mardux View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Hopefully, those horde players would rather wait for blizzard to (inevitably) kill her off and have Baine's pansy-ass take over instead of giving up and going to the side of plot armor, deus ex, and the Gennduin broship.
    Yeah, its super hard to read the books. They are often awful and poorly written. I think its rather unlikely players read those. Even diehard lore fans have issues with them. The main info should be avaliable in the main media. No one should have to buy and read a shitty book to understand the game.
    English is not my main language so grammar errors might happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Nefastus View Post
    Yeah, its super hard to read the books. They are often awful and poorly written. I think its rather unlikely players read those. Even diehard lore fans have issues with them. The main info should be avaliable in the main media. No one should have to buy and read a shitty book to understand the game.
    Here's looking at you Star Wars! :P

I downloaded Before the Storm via Audible to read while travelling, so far it's not too bad but yeah very low level reading.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjason View Post
    and if people ask why does feral get some buffs so fast... yet shamans are still waiting for any kind of buff (be it temporary until the corechanges to shamy and priest happen).
    Unfortunately, these feral "buffs" are just a slap in the face, bringing feral AoE up from "dead last" to "still dead last but ~3% better, yay!" It continues to perform almost equally poorly on single target and suffer from severe resource starvation while having one of the most difficult (and some would say annoying) single-target rotations to pull off.

Pray that between now and 8.1, Blizzard spends the time to figure out what needs to be changed with shamans, and makes well thought-out and meaningful changes. The "so fast" buffs to Feral fixed literally nothing, were completely out of touch with how the spec plays, and will probably be all the changes it sees between now and 8.3.

This is a faulty and misguided statement.

I have had a hard time getting people to understand the difference, but its not the direction of the boook, its how the book was written. It was just poor writing.

I'm am not criticizing WoW because the story got me worked up. Good stories are supposed to do that.

But the story didn't get me worked up because its armature story telling. I don't mind the major events that happened. Stuff like that mixes things up and generates content and while I can get engaged and even like the events that are unfolding, the way its being told has been lackluster.

Its not a problem of waiting to see where the story is going. Its a problem of poor presentation that is happening right now.

People are arguing two different things and aren't connecting in the slightest as to what the issue is.

Personally, I am fine with what happened to the world tree. I don't mind losing the Undercity. I don't mind the faction war, who appears to be winning or losing, and I look forward to the content coming up because while I think Blizzard lacks in storytelling, they have made a incredibly complex and interesting world.

But to reitterate; Its not the story direction. I have plenty of patience. Its the fact that storyline is inconsistent with character behavior. Some characters are incredibly flat and 1 dimensional. Just about everything Blizzard is doing is either predictable and non-engaging or so far out in left field it just doesn't make sense.

They could have had all the same story arcs, and events, but had just presented it better and you wouldn't have heard people complaining.

All said and done though, at the end of the day, there are tons of things outside of the story in WoW to still enjoy and while I wish Blizzard hired better talent for for the over all story arc (I actually have enjoyed the individual zone stories well enough), there is still plenty of enjoyment for me to get out of the game. The story is just sort of a let down IMO.

Honestly what bugs me more is that the argument is so disjointed. Blizzard and Blizzard defenders refuse to hear the other side and just say "wait! we're not there yet children!" while the other side thats discontent are insisting "but your misunderstanding. Please, just listen. Its not the story line or events that are the problem, its the quality of story telling."

Its not to 100% distract us with exciting, yet pointless graphical eye candy just to gloss over that the story has had no effort put into it. Its like the outline of the story was created, and Blizzard figured they didn't really need to go much past that.

- - - Updated - - -

Totally. The LotR is a good example of stories that start shakily - or where overall consistency/quality is a bit sketchy, I still find a lot of Two Towers a grinding slog - but worth persevering with.
    I like how you state The LotR is a story where consistency and quality are a bit sketchy, yet you defend Blizzard with 'wait and see'.

This is clear evidence you are mixing two concepts up. The LotR story is slow and a slog at time. But the writing is professional and consistent all the way through. The quality of writing is fine, there's just parts of the books that are less exciting or engaging. Not because of quality, but because of content.

WoW, arguably being a game, can't be held to the same standards, but to make the point, suffers from the exact opposite of what you are connecting.

WoW suffers from poor quality, not content. I am looking forward to future content because Blizzard has always been good about that. Story telling quality though is in the dumps (kind of beating a dead horse though because their over-all main arc story telling has always been pretty poor). Theres just to much thats been bastardized, cut down/or out, rewritten and ret-conned, for it to be really any good. I would hope Blizzard could do better, but maybe they cant just because the fact that its a game and told in a different way then a book or movie. But its still pretty bland, poorly presented, and not really engaging. To many elements are at odds for someone that thinks about the story-line to really be drawn in.

There is a clear difference between someone becoming emotional about the story line and where its going and between someone thats become emotional about poor story telling and a lackluster presentation. Many people are mixing up the first for the second.
    Last edited by Cel; 2018-08-23 at 05:06 PM.