Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lios View Post
    Do you know what arachnophobia is? I'm not going to get close enough to catch a spider, silly! If I dared to do that, I wouldn't be afraid of spiders, now would I? Best I do is get the little ones with the vacuum, but even then I need an hour to calm down.
    I really hate to be the guy that tells you this; but I feel like it would be a disservice not to. When you vacuum up a spider, the vast majority of the time, they survive. The little ones are even small enough to crawl right out of all of the debris in the tank, up the hose, and out the way they came in. Even the larger ones might lose a leg, but unless you have the brush going and it literally rips them apart; you're just giving them a place to hide until you leave. =\
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

Quote Originally Posted by AcidicSyn View Post
    You sir. You are a special sort of particularly delicious evil.

- - - Updated - - -

What he really means is burn your house down. In fact, burn down the whole block just to be safe.

- - - Updated - - -

A buddy of mine is like this. Though for whatever reason he was perfectly cool questing in Vashj'ir without an issue. Though he won't get on any of the boat transports. Subnautica really triggered his phobia hard though; neither of us are sure why Subnautica hit him so hard but WoW doesn't give him anything more than the occasional increased heart rate.
    i dont know if there is a phobia for it, but open oceans dont inherently scare me, but large, lurking creatures in an ocean do. i can do vashir just fine, but i will not get anywhere near that great whale shark that swims around, and i refuse to play subnautica from what ive heard.

7+ Year Old Account
    Currently 47°, -122° ... Originally 53°, -9°
    Quote Originally Posted by Uksparky View Post
    what are other peoples view on the amount of spiders in this expansion and the fear of Arachnophobia ?
    I may not have clinical arachnaphobia, but I detest spiders. And I grew up in a very woodsy area of the Pacific Northwest of the United States. So, our homes unfinished basement was a terror zone for me.

When I first started playing WoW, it wasn't the Tarantula type spiders that bothered me. It was the "widow-esque" ones that really made my spine clench up. And the worst experience that I had was in LBRS with the Smolderthorn spiders and hatchlings. First time I experienced that, I had a very difficult time getting through it. Also, the quest where you had to let them bite you so you could "milk" them took me a really, really long time to get past.

That said, I eventually got my brain to realize that these aren't real. And the more time you spend with them in game, the less creepy they become. As a result, I probably have a slightly more healthy coping mechanism with real spiders now.

But, I have to wonder, how is BfA's spider-y areas any worse than any other spider infested zones have been. How did she handle the areas in Legion and WoD for example? Or any other location where spiders are rampant and there are many people webbed up (which creeps me out to no end mind you)? I really haven't noticed anything more above board than in past expansions

Tell her to do a therapy, if you can't even stand pixel spiders. Does she get a hearth attack when she sees a real one?

If your wife is that afraid of pixelated spiders that she can't even play the game then idk what to tell you besides this probably isn't the game for her.

Should we also get rid of any and all blood for those that have hemophobia? Hell, let's just take out ALL the gore so we don't trigger any goreaphobes.

My wife and several friends have stopped playing wow in BFA due to the fact they suffer with really bad Arachnophobia I did notice there is a rather large amount of these spiders in the game wondered if any more players have stopped playing due to Arachnophobia.

would it be to much to ask to lessen them a bit as Arachnophobia is a very strong fear in a large community of people I did love my wife playing but to watch her throw her Laptop across the room when these came on screen and watcher her tremble with fear was a bit much.

what are other peoples view on the amount of spiders in this expansion and the fear of Arachnophobia ?
    Why are you prejudiced against spiders? Who do you hate them?

Deleted
    Arachnophobia is nothing but bullshit. I got told i had it. I bough one huge ass tarantula. Guess what i have 75 now. It's all in the mind. Get over it.

They say exposure is the best treatment for phobias, take comfort in the fact that they are not real.

10+ Year Old Account
    My wife and several friends have stopped playing wow in BFA due to the fact they suffer with really bad Arachnophobia I did notice there is a rather large amount of these spiders in the game wondered if any more players have stopped playing due to Arachnophobia.

would it be to much to ask to lessen them a bit as Arachnophobia is a very strong fear in a large community of people I did love my wife playing but to watch her throw her Laptop across the room when these came on screen and watcher her tremble with fear was a bit much.

I do not believe it is as big a problem for players that Blizzard would find a need to lessen it. I've been playing with some that suffers from it and they either look away when it is the big spiders, or some doesn't care because it is pixels. And really, there isn't that many spiders.

As well, if you start removing or lessening things due to spiders, then what about the other 530+ phobias?

They would have to prune the game of everything from hall ways, to heights, to sizes, spiders, claws, webs, unknown mysteries etc etc etc.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account

WoW has always had giant spiders, and tons of them, since vanilla. Even the 'small' spiders in WoW are like the size of a football. So why, exactly, are BFA's such a breaking point?

And honestly - if she is so arachnophobic that she hurls laptops across a room at the sight of a fake spider in a video game, she needs therapy/help.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NihilSustinet View Post
    i dont know if there is a phobia for it, but open oceans dont inherently scare me, but large, lurking creatures in an ocean do. i can do vashir just fine, but i will not get anywhere near that great whale shark that swims around, and i refuse to play subnautica from what ive heard.
    yeah if it's not the big wide open ocean, but the things living in it that scare you; definitely don't play Subnautica. You'll lose years off your life the first time a reaper leviathan manages to sneak up on you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

I have pretty bad vertigo - yet have no issues jumping off a cliff in WoW, even though I get attacks watching movies where people look down off buildings.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    I do not believe it is as big a problem for players that Blizzard would find a need to lessen it. I've been playing with some that suffers from it and they either look away when it is the big spiders, or some doesn't care because it is pixels. And really, there isn't that many spiders.

As well, if you start removing or lessening things due to spiders, then what about the other 530+ phobias?

They would have to prune the game of everything from hall ways, to heights, to sizes, spiders, claws, webs, unknown mysteries etc etc etc.
    Well said. Once they adjust for one thing, you're going to have 'well you nerfed spiders change this too' types coming out of the woodwork.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    I have pretty bad vertigo - yet have no issues jumping off a cliff in WoW, even though I get attacks watching movies where people look down off buildings.
    Games like WoW actually helped me deal with my fear of heights to an extent, jumping off cliffs and things to glide around. It used to freak me out, now I find it exhilarating.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Deleted
    tell her to grow some balls. srsly.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is just trolling right?

It has to be.
    Subarashii chin chin mono
    Kintama no kami aru

Maybe you can play for her the zones that have spiders and are also unavoidable? I don't thiunk there's a lot of spiders in endgame content, or if there are there's probably only one dungeon or two with them.

Do real arachnophobia really exists? I always thought it was an ancient meme because of the movie.
    I mean, I have fear of spiders irl, but I can differentiate reality from a game.

Quote Originally Posted by The7 View Post
    Do real arachnophobia really exists?
    Yep - real fears of various things really exist. They are for the most part irrational fears, so trying to tell someone to 'get over it' is pretty point.

I know when I get subject to the fears that trigger me - I literally go into full body spasms and fall over and (detail removed) etc.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Well said. Once they adjust for one thing, you're going to have 'well you nerfed spiders change this too' types coming out of the woodwork.
    Indeed so. Hence it is one of those things that is harder to fix than, lets say, flashing lights.

Games like WoW actually helped me deal with my fear of heights to an extent, jumping off cliffs and things to glide around. It used to freak me out, now I find it exhilarating.[/QUOTE]
    I have a fear of height, but only man made temporary heights. I have no problem look over the side of a multi-level building, or look over the side of cliffs or such.. But I'm close to pissing my pants if I have to climb a ladder or work on scaffolding.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Yep - real fears of various things really exist.
    I know real fears exist. But "My wife and several friends (...) suffer with really bad Arachnophobia", seems very hyperbolic. What are the chances of a group of friends all suffer from the same phobia?
    Also, do your phobias trigger from game situations too or only in real life ones?