Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    Dang this is the most real post i've seen you make. If your fear is spiders, dogs, (animals in general) or heights PM me.
    Nah - my fears are more day to day and unavoidable - leaving me stuck in my house almost all the time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The7 View Post
    Also, do your phobias trigger from game situations too or only in real life ones?
    My worst fears can't really be experienced in a game - pretty much by definition as most of my fears relate to being trapped and a video game is something you can always turn off

However - I do have pretty bad fear of heights, which only manifests in the real world, or watching movies - but not in game.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AcidicSyn View Post
    I really hate to be the guy that tells you this; but I feel like it would be a disservice not to. When you vacuum up a spider, the vast majority of the time, they survive. The little ones are even small enough to crawl right out of all of the debris in the tank, up the hose, and out the way they came in. Even the larger ones might lose a leg, but unless you have the brush going and it literally rips them apart; you're just giving them a place to hide until you leave. =\
    Yeah, I always believed in that myth too, that's why I close the end of the hose with a plastic bag. In the 20 years I've been doing this, none came back out. They die by the force and the dust in their trachea. Obviously this doesn't work for hand-sized spiders, but we don't have those here

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Nah - my fears are more day to day and unavoidable - leaving me stuck in my house almost all the time.
    My fears tend to revolve more around things like finding out my entire family was killed, or becoming a quadriplegic, or being paralyzed, or losing the ability to see, hear, or speak.

Agoraphobia, that's one I don't have much advice for.
    Oddly enough - it isn't technically agoraphobia (Have Hodophobia) , but for all practical purposes it may as well be Agoraphobia

You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    You'd think spiders were new to the game..

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    My fears tend to revolve more around things like finding out my entire family was killed, or becoming a quadriplegic, or being paralyzed, or losing the ability to see, hear, or speak.
    I call them rational fears

well, unless you have constant anxiety attacks and cant focus because you are constantly worrying about them. then it becomes irrational

Fair call. Can't say I have much experience with that aside from the nightmares of plane crashes every time I have to fly.
    I can't even catch a bus, or a train, or a taxi - if I am to travel I have to limit it to 10 minutes driving my own car.

Without a car - I'm pretty much screwed.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    I think the closest thing I have to an irrational fear is the concern I might kill or maim a cyclist or biker on the road when I'm driving. I can get pretty tense around them, especially if traffic is nuts.

I really feel like WotLK had a lot more spiders and spider-peoples.

Quote Originally Posted by Uksparky View Post
    My wife and several friends have stopped playing wow in BFA due to the fact they suffer with really bad Arachnophobia I did notice there is a rather large amount of these spiders in the game wondered if any more players have stopped playing due to Arachnophobia.

would it be to much to ask to lessen them a bit as Arachnophobia is a very strong fear in a large community of people I did love my wife playing but to watch her throw her Laptop across the room when these came on screen and watcher her tremble with fear was a bit much.

what are other peoples view on the amount of spiders in this expansion and the fear of Arachnophobia ?
    lmao.

Oogah Boogah watch out for the digital spiders.
    You're not to think you are anything special. You're not to think you are as good as we are. You're not to think you are smarter than we are. You're not to convince yourself that you are better than we are. You're not to think you know more than we do. You're not to think you are more important than we are. You're not to think you are good at anything. You're not to laugh at us. You're not to think anyone cares about you. You're not to think you can teach us anything.

So ever since I can remember I've been scared of spiders. I don't think it ever got to the levels of arachnophobia bad but I'd freak out if I saw one and always had to get someone else to deal with them if they showed up. The ones in WoW always creeped me out too.

Oddly enough, what helped me a lot was watching this youtube series called Brave Wilderness. The guy is like a Jeff Corwin or I guess I'd go as far to say a Steve Irwin type and one of his shticks is willingly getting bite/stung by shit (you know..for education). Well one episode he was freehandling a black widow. And he was just chill and the spider was just casually crawling on his hand. Another one he was freehandling an orb weaver which are probably one of the creepiest looking things ever.

I guess just exposing myself more really helped and realizing spiders aren't actively looking to attack and bite me. I still don't want them in my house or hanging out in my bedroom, but watching the videos made me less afraid of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    I'm more scared of those fucking bees, to be honest. That noise they make is hideous. The only video game spiders that have freaked me out are the ones from Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. Those bastards actually crawl up walls to get at you... *Shiver*.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoShoedLou View Post
    So ever since I can remember I've been scared of spiders. I don't think it ever got to the levels of arachnophobia bad but I'd freak out if I saw one and always had to get someone else to deal with them if they showed up. The ones in WoW always creeped me out too.

Oddly enough, what helped me a lot was watching this youtube series called Brave Wilderness. The guy is like a Jeff Corwin or I guess I'd go as far to say a Steve Irwin type and one of his shticks is willingly getting bite/stung by shit (you know..for education). Well one episode he was freehandling a black widow. And he was just chill and the spider was just casually crawling on his hand. Another one he was freehandling an orb weaver which are probably one of the creepiest looking things ever.

I guess just exposing myself more really helped and realizing spiders aren't actively looking to attack and bite me. I still don't want them in my house or hanging out in my bedroom, but watching the videos made me less afraid of them.
    Exactly. Most spiders are horrified of you simply because of the vibrations your weight/movements make. When we walk into a room and there's a little spider in the corner, we may as well be Godzilla. That's why most spider bites occur when the spider can't escape, like in a shoe or if they're pressed between you and something else.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Uksparky View Post
    My wife and several friends have stopped playing wow in BFA due to the fact they suffer with really bad Arachnophobia I did notice there is a rather large amount of these spiders in the game wondered if any more players have stopped playing due to Arachnophobia.

would it be to much to ask to lessen them a bit as Arachnophobia is a very strong fear in a large community of people I did love my wife playing but to watch her throw her Laptop across the room when these came on screen and watcher her tremble with fear was a bit much.

what are other peoples view on the amount of spiders in this expansion and the fear of Arachnophobia ?
    I think you're overestimating the amount of people with this level of irrational fear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ONCHEhap View Post
    Arachnophobia,like most phobia,has nothing rational to it,you can't really convince people suffering from it that it's "just pixels on a screen",it's going to make them feel really awful regardless
    how did they quest through Duskwood???

We can't go removing stuff from games because of every phobia a person may have.

I just suggest getting some therapy or maybe looking at YouTube videos of people that own tarantulas as pets. I've never been a huge arachnophobe, but to a point, certain species of spider did freak me out. Less so, now.

I still wouldn't want to have a spider crawling on me all of the sudden, but as organisms, I find them quite interesting.

I will burn a building down if it has a big enough spider in it. For real.

But arachnophobia from spiders in a video game? C'mon, dude. That's beyond an illogical fear. That's being a drama-queen, and the game won't remove spiders because your girl can't separate reality from fiction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe some kind of patch or mod that replaces the spider models with something fun. Puppies maybe. Then you can run around killing a bunch of puppies.

15+ Year Old Account
    How does he deal with spiders when they show up in your house?

Cause honestly if he sees you dealing with them confidently it can help him get over his fear.

He might still find em icky (most people do) but it might help him not be afraid of them.
    He doesn't exactly scream, but it is some kind of involuntary sound similar to it, and he sort of jumps up into the air and takes a couple of quick steps away from it. His instinct after the immediate fear has settled a little is to want to kill it. I personally don't exactly like spiders, would definitely not want one on me, but I see the good that they do - for example keeping other insects in check. So if I am at home I take care of it, as in collecting it in a jar and releasing it outside.
    He knows his fear is irrational, and from what he have told me it used to be much much worse. Still tho, he do get jumpy and can even get nauseated, initially anyway.

I remember one night when he was off on a worktrip, I lay in bed, about to go to sleep, lights off, but was checking something on my phone - I suddenly saw a shadow of sorts in the corner of my left eye. Quickly dodged to the right, as I suspected what it was, turned on the lights and what do you know? A spider! Lowering down from the ceiling, lol, and from what I could tell it had been very close to my face. Good thing that happened to me and not my BF, haha, poor guy would've had an heart attack <3