Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Do you think people ultimately only care about themselves?

Excluding the role of a Parent which has the strongest social bonding pairing for increased chance of survival for the offspring/baby brought on through millions of years of evolution.

Apart from that do you think people only really care about themselves? When push comes to shove, they really only look out for their own personal interest/safety/well being. They may put on a good act but when reality hits and life gets hard, people look for a way out and an easier option.

There will always be exceptions of course, people with high levels of empathy exist and will always be around but generally speaking,

You look at say marriages, people falling in love who most would say they would die for their partner and thats likely true in a lot of cases. But when it breaks up it breaks up BIIIIIG. And they have a good chance of ending up hating each other because they were so close and fell apart/betrayed did w/e that ended it. Now they make each others lives miserable. Bit odd when they were once so close, but its almost like that person was loved while they made you happy. Once they stopped making you happy, then ttyl

Thoughts?

Universe < world < nation < state < city < neighborhood < extended family < immediate family < me < my wife and kids

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the majority amount makes the amount of people who don't fairly negligible.

But no, I believe there are truly selfless people with an instinctual reaction to save people's lives even if it means they face a high chance of dying. Like a fight or flight moment to keep others safe.

I mean, plenty of stories of firefighters with wives, kids and people who depend on them perishing trying to save the life of some retard who gets high and leaves their stove on.

Only lone people with nobody to care for them and care about in return. You'd basically need to be a hermit, isolated from society.

History is filled with selfless acts.

10+ Year Old Account
    People care about others, but there's just so much time and energy to spare. Yourself and or family is first. Then friends, the others.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Yes. Every action is inherently selfish. Nothing is truly altruistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Yes. Every action is inherently selfish. Nothing is truly altruistic.
    Tell that to military servicemen who jump on grenades for their brethren, knowing full well there's a 90% chance they'll be mincemeat.

And that's just the easiest example.

Another would be any firefighter that went into the Twin Towers.

You're wrong.

Bunch of dumbasses on this forum. Heavily empathetic people exist, stop projecting your own selfishness into your wrong opinions.
    Last edited by Radaney; 2018-08-26 at 06:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Radaney View Post
    Tell that to military servicemen who jump on grenades for their brethren, knowing full well there's a 90% chance they'll be mincemeat.

You're wrong.
    I would and have. Those are selfish acts.

Quote Originally Posted by Radaney View Post

Another would be any firefighter that went into the Twin Towers.

You're wrong.
    He might not be able to live with himself if he didnt.

Its no doubt a heroic act. But self loathing is also a strong motivator

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Universe < world < nation < state < city < neighborhood < extended family < immediate family < me < my wife and kids
    Yeah that seems about accurate to me.

Yes. I've forced myself these past 2 years to act like a dog, to show everyone pure unconditional love, kindness, generosity and understanding.

As soon as they get what they want out of you, they discard you.
    As soon as you start having a bad day and ask just for a little compassion, it's "oh that sucks, oh look at the time I have to go".

Nobody truly spends time with you just because you're you, they do so because you can provide them comfort, laughter, a thick dick, whatever the fuck. As soon as they find someone more comforting, funnier, with a thicker dick, it's adios.

Even when you go beyond yourself to throw yourself in the fire, harm's way, and shatter yourself emotionally, mentally and physically for others, you will never it paid back sincerely.

What hurts the most is that you'll know it and feel it. Fuck people, get more dogs. Shorter life spent with you, but at least it will be a life of sincerity.

Quote Originally Posted by Kul Tiras View Post
    Yes. I've forced myself these past 2 years to act like a dog, to show everyone pure unconditional love, kindness, generosity and understanding.

As soon as they get what they want out of you, they discard you.
    As soon as you start having a bad day and ask just for a little compassion, it's "oh that sucks, oh look at the time I have to go".

Nobody truly spends time with you just because you're you, they do so because you can provide them comfort, laughter, a thick dick, whatever the fuck. As soon as they find someone more comforting, funnier, with a thicker dick, it's adios.

Even when you go beyond yourself to throw yourself in the fire, harm's way, and shatter yourself emotionally, mentally and physically for others, you will never it paid back sincerely.

What hurts the most is that you'll know it and feel it. Fuck people, get more dogs. Shorter life spent with you, but at least it will be a life of sincerity.
    This is what I noticed as well,

People love saying "if you need someone to talk too, im always here" but when you actually are having a tough time, people disappear quicker than marshmallows in water and you become a burden and avoided because "its too much work" but when you're happy and paying, no one bats an eye and its all gravy!

15+ Year Old Account
    Because sometimes they only person you can count on is yourself. Beyond that, family > all.
    Mistweaver Monk | Holy Priest

No.

You can frame it that way through dishonest rhetoric, though, by never actually defining what it means to be selfish and simply declaring everything everyone does as selfish ad hoc.

Makes for some good sophistry.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Deleted
    One has to be truly happy in order to bring joy for the sole purpose of bringing joy to others.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Excluding the role of a Parent which has the strongest social bonding pairing for increased chance of survival for the offspring/baby brought on through millions of years of evolution.

Apart from that do you think people only really care about themselves? When push comes to shove, they really only look out for their own personal interest/safety/well being. They may put on a good act but when reality hits and life gets hard, people look for a way out and an easier option.

There will always be exceptions of course, people with high levels of empathy exist and will always be around but generally speaking,

You look at say marriages, people falling in love who most would say they would die for their partner and thats likely true in a lot of cases. But when it breaks up it breaks up BIIIIIG. And they have a good chance of ending up hating each other because they were so close and fell apart/betrayed did w/e that ended it. Now they make each others lives miserable. Bit odd when they were once so close, but its almost like that person was loved while they made you happy. Once they stopped making you happy, then ttyl

Thoughts?
    Excluding parents? You have parents out there who do everything from beating the shit out of their kids to molesting them.

Anyways, have to say from personal experience, I've found caring for others or helping them generally lead to negativity for me. So I look after number 1 now. Don't get me wrong if I can help someone out with out it effecting me I will, but really, it's about me.
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

No. Society at current is pushing the idea that self-interest is the primary motivator (it's a central tenet of capitalism - Adam Smith's philosophy was based on it). There is some truth to that but overall we are a social, cooperative species that does best when we help one another and work towards the best interests of the majority. If we drift too far towards self-interest at the expense of others there will be a pushback, society can't function if we all start acting like sociopaths.

No, people don't only care about themselves, but those that only care for themselves are typically the most "successful." That's how the system works.

Well it depends, there are many selfish people and there are many selfless people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Men are NOT suffering societal hardships due to being male. That doesn't exist in most 1st world countries.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I would and have. Those are selfish acts.
    How are those selfish acts? Other than you simply saying or thinking they are? There is no greater sacrifice one can make, then to lay down their life for others. Very few are willing to do it.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams