Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Anyone really enjoy the AU lore?

Like couldn't they have kept the portal shut and leave it. We all know that WoD was a horrible experimental expac taht wasnt well received. Why do they try and force this AU rubbish down our throats?

community: Why the heck did the mag'har orcs get off scott free at the end of WOD? Shouldn't the draenei still hate them? This is stupid! Oh and we still want playable brown orcs, we've wanted them since BC.

blizzard: OK, we'll see if we can fix two birds with one stone!

community: why would you expand on the mag'har orc storyline at the end of WOD, explain that the draenei still hate them, and give us playable brown orcs with a huge array of customization options? How dare you?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SamwiseGG View Post
    Like couldn't they have kept the portal shut and leave it. We all know that WoD was a horrible experimental expac taht wasnt well received. Why do they try and force this AU rubbish down our throats?
    Honesty we thought that we wasn't bringing in baggage. We left AU Draenor thinking we "fixed" their problem.

The AU lore certainly had a potential behind it, and I say that as someone who despises the concept of AU being implemented into any story.

A large part of the issue was the poor implementation over the course of the story. The opening cinematic showed it had great potential, but the story really just wavered off during the story.
    Sonics - Argent Dawn EU
    Mahurum - Argent Dawn EU

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    community: Why the heck did the mag'har orcs get off scott free at the end of WOD? Shouldn't the draenei still hate them? This is stupid! Oh and we still want playable brown orcs, we've wanted them since BC.

community: why would you expand on the mag'har orc storyline at the end of WOD, explain that the draenei still hate them, and give us playable brown orcs with a huge array of customization options? How dare you?
    Most of the community would have preferred it if AU Draenor was retconned out of existence. Also, the Mag'har should have come from Outland (with Jorin Deadeye as their leader).

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    I would've liked it more if they hadn't left so much out that had to then later be explained in Chronicle instead of in-game.

Deleted
    I did. I loved Yrel as a character, to me she was the best part in Warlords of Draenor by far. I really enjoyed watching her grow, with the help of the player character, from a nameless slave, to the leader of the Draenei people -- and now, the undisputed leader of Draenor. Very interesting character, with a lot of potential. I was very sad when her storyline involving her "dark secret" was cut, as well as when she did not appear in Patch 7.3.0. As a Draenei fan since I started playing, It was my dream to witness the beauty and splendour of the Temple of Karabor, before it was twisted and corrupted by the vile orcish sorcery. I was joyful that I had the opportunity to do that in Warlords of Draenor, at long last.

Do you know why Warlords of Draenor was a "horrible" expansion? Because they killed big characters like Maraad and Orgrim in the questing experience. Because they cut a lot of character development that Yrel and Lady Liadrin were supposed to receive. Because Shattrath City, the raid dealing with the Sargerei, was cut. Because Farahlon, the "Quel'thalas" of Draenor, was cut. Because they wanted to give a redemption arc to Grommash, but failed miserably to portray it, the result being a forced ending. Because Archimonde, the second-in-command of Sargeras, Defiler of worlds, appeared out of nowhere in the last 5 minutes of the expansion with no previous build-up.

Warlords of Draenor was the expansion with the MOST potential by far, and it was the most anticipated and hyped as well. It could have been the greatest expansion ever from a story perspective, if Blizzard had shaped it as planned.

Yrel is my favourite character in Warcraft, My player character is a Lightforged Draenei, so the Alternate Universe storyline is the only thing that interests me in Battle for Azeroth. And since Turalyon and Captain Fareeya are useless, Yrel is the only hope left for good Lightforged lore development.
    Last edited by mmoc724fed31b9; 2018-08-27 at 03:13 PM.

Deleted

Get the Maghar from Outland. They have no reason to still be there. And there you have your brown orcs. Fixed

Quote Originally Posted by In Ogres We Trust View Post
    Most of the community would have preferred it if AU Draenor was retconned out of existence. Also, the Mag'har should have come from Outland (with Jorin Deadeye as their leader).
    It's a whole expansion, they can't just make it disappear. The best they can do is what they've been doing: working with what they've got to tell the story they want to tell. Think Illidan. He had almost no narrative in BC explaining any of his motives and only showed up once in questing, so they used that mystery to fill in the blanks in Legion to address the criticisms of him becoming, and dying, as a one note villain.

Get the Maghar from Outland. They have no reason to still be there. And there you have your brown orcs. Fixed
    "Dray-nor? Drah-nor? Dranorrr? Bah, I'll just say I'm from Outland."
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2018-08-27 at 03:17 PM.

This, pretty much.

I for one am glad that they're doing something with that crap, rather than just ignoring it for the sake of not acknowledging things they added to the game. I am especially intrigued by how the Draenei have turned Inquisition, Fanatic Crusaders, on everything.

Mostly I don't like what they're trying to do with the Light and with Yrel. Granted it's possible we're just seeing one side of the story there, since there is missing context and a horde filter over all the plot development in modern AU Draenor. Yrel leading a crusade spawned by the Naaru randomly going evil and abandoning their mission of spreading hope and all that is dumb. Yrel starting a crusade because some of the Mag'har converted from their old faith and the remaining Mag'har started shit would make more sense. "Never again" Draenei would fit really well with how they were treated by the Orcs in both universes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by High Exarch Yrel View Post
    Do you know why Warlords of Draenor was a "horrible" expansion? Because they killed big characters like Maraad and Orgrim in the questing experience. Because they cut a lot of character development that Yrel and Lady Liadrin were supposed to receive. Because Shattrath City, the raid dealing with the Sargerei, was cut. Because Farahlon, the "Quel'thalas" of Draenor, was cut. Because they wanted to give a redemption arc to Grommash, but failed miserably to portray it, the result being a forced ending. Because Archimonde, the second-in-command of Sargeras, Defiler of worlds, appeared out of nowhere in the last 5 minutes of the expansion with
    No im pretty sure I hated it before I even played it because we all know timetravel cant be done properly and was a massive cop out for Garrosh. I cared nothing for any of the characters in WoD because I am not a Horde player. And didnt give two shats when fake Velen dies Because it.doesnt.affect.us. i knew from the start all of these where temporary charcters

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by In Ogres We Trust View Post
    I think the Mag'har didn't come from Outland because what is going on in the AU version of Draenor is going to be important to the plot later on. Personally, I would've also preferred the Mag'har come from MU Outland, but the storyline for the Mag'har recruitment has too much meat on it not to be important later on.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

There were some things I liked about AU Draenor. Spires of Arak was nice. BRF was cool. Just seeing and experiencing the orc homeworld was nice. The feeling didn't really last though.

It might have been better had fields of Farahlon not been cut. Same with whatever plans they had for Shattrath.

I just hope some good comes out of mentioning "Exarch Hellscream"

Every time I'm reminded that the AU exists, my day gets a tiny bit worse.

AU lore should have never happened, but now that it did happen, it should keep happening.

We need some confidence in Blizzard that they are actually telling a connected story, where elements that pop up will not just be thrown out out of the window again. Not just closing the portal, but continuing the story of the characters we met in there is the right choice in my opinion.

Wouldn't mind if some story in the future would collapse the multiverse though. I could really live without ever having to worry that the next dimensional timetraveling story might just be one Blizcon away.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

I've actually enjoyed all the X-pacs and the lore from them, i think it's great how the creative minds can manufacture so much lore.

Deleted
    No im pretty sure I hated it before I even played it because we all know timetravel cant be done properly and was a massive cop out for Garrosh. I cared nothing for any of the characters in WoD because I am not a Horde player. And didnt give two shats when fake Velen dies Because it.doesnt.affect.us. i knew from the start all of these where temporary charcters
    Who's to say that Yrel will be a temporary character? For all we know, she could find her way into the Main Timeline eventually and in Patch 8.3.0 the Lightbound orcs will join the Alliance.

Also, you might have not liked it, but it is clear that Warlords of Draenor was the most hyped and anticipated expansion in the history of the game, and many thought that it had the most potential as well. Its failure boils down to the developers cutting a lot of the content that was originally planned, with the result being a shadow of its true self.

But still, many praised the zones of Warlords, its characters, and the raids are some of the best in World of Warcraft. The few content that was in Warlords of Draenor (aside from Garrisons and Ashran) was very good.

Deleted
    Again this nonsense argument. WoW went back to 10 million subscribers with the release of WoD. That says enough about the setting of the story, people loved the premise.

That people hate the expansion now is not due to the setting, it's due to content cut and unfinished storylines. It was rushed. That has nothing to do with the story.

Now can people stop using this ridiculous argument that somehow the story is the reason people dislike WoD? Yes, some may think so but they're not a majority group in the slightest.

Now that WoD is over, it's time to salvage what little we can from it. Mag'har from WoD has more potential than Mag'har from Outland. The most obvious? You can make up how many come, where Mag'har from Outland is a limited supply of Orcs thanks to Illidan, even fewer now that Garrosh brought more over that got killed.

So it's either a clan made of sick kids, who's numbers have dwindled or members from every clan who have fought the Draenei for years.

Now that I think of it, I'm reminded that Garrosh is also the story of a sick kid who grew up to be one of the strongest Orcs ever... Anachronos give us the hero we deserve!