Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Really angry that other people have an opinion that differs from yours, hm?
    Its that my "opinion" will ultimately end up be fact. It has nothing to do with being "angry"

I remember years ago when we used to sell cell phones in my PC repair shops, we had a big banner on the window that said something like "FREE PHONE" in 20 inch letters In smaller print (still about 5 inch letters) under it it would CLEARLY say something like "with activation and 1 year contract ect" people would walk in and say things like "yea, how many of those free phones can I get" or Walk up and flat ask for a free phone as if we were just going to hand them one. Classic band wagoners kind of remind me of that so far, you read the things they write and it makes you do a face palm.

Deleted
    I'd play Classic if i don't have to pay more than i already do to play the normal servers.
    If it's a one time payment fine, if i can get my friends to join. But i wouldn't like paying a subscription for something i will only use when i am out of stuff to do on my ordinary server.

holy shit there is some CRAZY logic in here. "private servers are free and so are other games, they choose to play free wow classic = they will 100% pay to play blizzards version"

???

what? my brain hurts from that, and so should yours.

Illegal movie downloads. Lets talk torrents. Most movies can be obtained for free, all be it illegal. I might choose to download and watch deadpool 2. I might choose NOT to download the latest tween drama movie. That does not automatically mean i would PAY to purchase and watch deadpool 2, it just means i chose not to download and watch some tween drama.

Its the same here. There being other free games has absolutely nothing to do with this argument.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    holy shit there is some CRAZY logic in here. "private servers are free and so are other games, they choose to play free wow classic = they will 100% pay to play blizzards version"

???

what? my brain hurts from that, and so should yours.

Illegal movie downloads. Lets talk torrents. Most movies can be obtained for free, all be it illegal. I might choose to download and watch deadpool 2. I might choose NOT to download the latest tween drama movie. That does not automatically mean i would PAY to purchase and watch deadpool 2, it just means i chose not to download and watch some tween drama.

Its the same here. There being other free games has absolutely nothing to do with this argument.
    No, you don’t get it.
    Lots of naysayers on mmochamp always mention how vanilla is dated and trash compared to today’s standards. Why would this many peope bother with these vanilla servers then when there’s loads of other free games or servers to play on? Obviously it’s because vanilla isn’t a bad game and the people here make it seem worse than it really is.
    Few examples:
    “You’re in for a surprise when classic hits”
    “Take off the rose tinted goggles already”
    “Oh yeah I definitely enjoy grinding months for gear and spamming 1 spell as my rotation”

Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    Its that my "opinion" will ultimately end up be fact.
    It's hilarious that you believe this.

There weren't any hundreds of thousands of players on vanilla servers, unless you count all of them over the whole history. In that case, retail WoW has passed a long time ago the 100 million mark.

I think the questions is not if people will pay or not for vanilla, the question is how long they will pay for vanilla. And the answer for more than 90% is "not long". I've seen countless births and rebirths of private servers, they all start enthusiastic, plenty of people around you to play with and have fun and do those impossible group quests at any hour. Two months forward it's a wasteland, unless you start raiding seriously in some not so crappy guild, the game experience changes dramatically. And that's on a free private server, imagine paying 15 dollars per month to play a MMO virtually alone. That's why CRZ was invented and it was really a great idea, of course some people hate it, because their idea o playing WoW is to have all the mining nodes for themselves in an empty zone

I think subscription should cover classic servers too but If they try to sell it like an expansion, I would probably buy it.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    If it's a cheap one-time price, or bundled with my retail sub, sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Morbownz View Post
    Well I don't know everyone else's finances but just having a price could prevent some people from being able to access the game. Generally I agree, I don't believe that the majority of people are playing on private realms just because it's free. The irony is, some of those people saying this are also telling us the game is terrible and not worth playing, yet they are convinced thousands will happily subject themselves to it for hours because it's free. Watching paint dry doesn't cost me a thing yet I never feel tempted.
    The majority play for free and those players personally think the game is garbage. You lack critical thinking skills and seem to have a victim complex.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

The people who say that WoW is cheap, and is comparable to a movie ticket, are not the same broke ass and banned people playing on a private server.

We may not know the answer to this question until Classic is released, but private servers will still exist and be populated once Classic is released. Why? Because it's free.

As for the cost of Classic, I can't imagine Blizzard would charge for it outside of normal retail cost. I've already paid for Classic. I'm not buying it again.

Quote Originally Posted by styil View Post
    Whenever there have been figures that have shown the hundreds of thousands (if not more) players who have played Classic on private servers, these numbers are immediately dismissed with rhetoric like "they're only playing on there because it's free, they wouldn't actually pay for Blizzard's official Classic WoW".

Yet when the cost of WoW in general is being discussed, it is often these same people who then turn around and say things like "WoW is so cheap, it costs less than a movie ticket".

So why would the cost of Classic all of a sudden be a barrier to entry? Why would those hundeds of thousands of engaged players (presumably) not pay less than a movie ticket to continue enjoying what they were on private servers?
    Cause maybe most of the private servers are full of people that for real cant afford the game?

I said this story many times before in the classic forums, i had a friend that literally played WoTLK server for a good 2.5 years, i think they must have been farming HC ICC and Hallion for 2 years or something stupid like that, he liked it, his problem, even after server shutdowns etc, i am not sure about the whole story.

99% of the people he played with were literally "Slav Rednecks" material that no way in hell can afford 13e/month, which for some of them it was something like 2-5 days of work depending on country i guess.

His words, not mine, it was generally <insert village here> from Poland/Russia/Romania/Ukraine/Balkans.

And in the US servers it was literally <Insert South America>.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    There won't be 2 subs imo. If you're subbed to WoW then you'll be able to play vanilla with that, whether they make you buy vanilla...ahem, "again" is another question.

Deleted
    How do you know it is "often the same people who then turn around and say things like 'WoW is so cheap, it costs less than a movie ticket.'"

Quote Originally Posted by foofoocuddlypoopz View Post
    The majority play for free and those players personally think the game is garbage. You lack critical thinking skills and seem to have a victim complex.
    Well I've never been so offended on the Internet. I feel truly upset, I don't expect you to even begin to understand how damaging your mean words are to me. I'm not the type of person who suffers from personal insults, but what you've just typed cut right through me, I've lost so much confidence reading your comments. To make it worse I sense that you intentionally wanted me to feel like I was being attacked which makes this much worse for me, and now I feel like I am awake inside one of my nightmares where I'm publicly exposed and humiliated in front of my peers and they've now lost any respect for me. I do not know how I am going to come back from this verbal assault, I hope you know just how upset I feel. I've never admitted to crying over a dispute on the Internet before but the you've weakened me so much that I have lost all sense of self-control, perhaps subconsciously I am hoping you'll take pity on me and not continue to bully me any further. Every time I see your name on a thread, I will quake in fear as I am reminded of that fateful day when I crossed your path and became one of your victims.

Kindest regards,

Victim.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Yeah, I never understood this "HURR PEOPLE ARE ONLY PLAYING VANILLA BECAUSE IT'S FREE!!" argument......uhh, there are tens of thousands of other "free" games. If the only reason they are playing is because "it's free", then why are they playing vanilla instead of any of those other free games? Herp a derp.

If you ask me, even if we have to pay a full $15 / month, that is more than worth it. Private servers are plagued with tons and tons of obnoxious issues:

-lag / high latency because the server is in Europe
    -crashes daily, leading to rollbacks and item loss
    -tons of language / timezone barriers, fragmenting the playerbase
    -tons of chinese players
    -tons of chinese gold farmers / botters
    -tons of chinese gold spammers
    -bad / broken / missing scripting
    -bugs and glitches out the ass
    -corrupt admins
    -game masters working as volunteers in free time, leading to tickets taking 2-3 days to get an answer
    -developers working as volunteers in free time, leading to bugs/glitches taking months to get fixed unless it's a gamebreaking issue
    -pay2win donation crap
    -threat of shutting down at any point due to blizzard C&D or any other reason

An official Blizzard server would fix literally every single one of these issues. I'd gladly pay $15 / month to get rid of all these headaches. But really I'm not expecting them to charge full price for a 14 year old game, it'll probably either be $5-10 per month, or just part of the normal subscription so that they can brag about higher sub numbers.
    bingo. playing on ps is a huge headache in so many ways. add in almost never see leveling bracket bg pops - something I am certainwould not be the case on retail servers.

chinese players are on opposite clock schedule from north americans, and the issue many have is you cannot even see the character set they type in - much less understand. from my view, the players themselves aren't an issue (though there are different gaming ethics taken as normal), but the language barrier is completely insurmountable.

on the other hand, it makes for an interesting 3-peak day, the biggest is china peak hours, then Europe then finally NA.
    Last edited by Deficineiron; 2018-08-28 at 10:02 PM.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirain7 View Post
    No, you don’t get it.
    Lots of naysayers on mmochamp always mention how vanilla is dated and trash compared to today’s standards. Why would this many peope bother with these vanilla servers then when there’s loads of other free games or servers to play on? Obviously it’s because vanilla isn’t a bad game and the people here make it seem worse than it really is.
    Few examples:
    “You’re in for a surprise when classic hits”
    “Take off the rose tinted goggles already”
    “Oh yeah I definitely enjoy grinding months for gear and spamming 1 spell as my rotation”
    we have evidence that people will play on a vanilla server if it is free. We have zero evidence that anyone will pay for it. /end

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    we have evidence that people will play on a vanilla server if it is free. We have zero evidence that anyone will pay for it. /end
    I would pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Morbownz View Post
    Well I've never been so offended on the Internet. I feel truly upset, I don't expect you to even begin to understand how damaging your mean words are to me. I'm not the type of person who suffers from personal insults, but what you've just typed cut right through me, I've lost so much confidence reading your comments. To make it worse I sense that you intentionally wanted me to feel like I was being attacked which makes this much worse for me, and now I feel like I am awake inside one of my nightmares where I'm publicly exposed and humiliated in front of my peers and they've now lost any respect for me. I do not know how I am going to come back from this verbal assault, I hope you know just how upset I feel. I've never admitted to crying over a dispute on the Internet before but the you've weakened me so much that I have lost all sense of self-control, perhaps subconsciously I am hoping you'll take pity on me and not continue to bully me any further. Every time I see your name on a thread, I will quake in fear as I am reminded of that fateful day when I crossed your path and became one of your victims.

Kindest regards,

Victim.
    It was never about being damaging. It was about critizing someone who overexeggeration and has an inability to understand basic statistic or even opinions.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisnumbers View Post
    I would pay for it.
    Thats evidence of someone CLAIMING they would pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by styil View Post
    So why would the cost of Classic all of a sudden be a barrier to entry? Why would those hundeds of thousands of engaged players (presumably) not pay less than a movie ticket to continue enjoying what they were on private servers?
    The answer is easy : the guys using this argument are retards full of bad faith.