Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

When a story has characters survive when they blatantly should not have(spoilers)

this has been bothering me really badly since prepatch and the war of thorns. this incredibly blatant use of plot armor is horribly immersion breaking, and i'll list some of the times it was most obvious

1. sylvanas and the horde not being immediately slaughtered by malfurion and the crippling of malfurion's full strength. there would multiple times when malfurion could have just ended the threat immediately, but instead he either retreats or simple blinds her and retreats.

2. mythrax vs like six loa and an army. originally, mythrax was slain by a single loa, sethraliss. in the battle for darza'alor(i can't remember how it's spelled), he's facing two of the most powerful loa in bwonsamdi and gonk, akunda, pa'ku, kragwa, kimbul, there are worshippers of other loa in the city as well, priests of bethekk, shirvallah, gral, hethiss, torcali, he's also facing the horde and zandalari army. mythrax should have not been able to survive, it's ridiculous. yes, obviously i know that a loa is empowered by having more followers, so kimbul, kragwa(he is temporally empowered with his full might by the totems), and akunda might not be at their height in strength, but gonk has thousands of followers in zandalar and darkspear worshippers, and pa'ku must be similar. bwonsamdi is empowered by the souls he holds dominion over, so he is now probably the strongest loa since rezan died.

3. gallywix in the alliance campaign. we kill the decoy and what happens? the fat bastards sits like 5ft away from us to gloat. literally just about 5min before, i'm using a crystal to send giant shredders into the void, why does umbric not do this? why do i not use the crystal if i still possess it? why don't i just blast him out of the sky as a warlock(or any other class has a vast range of things to knock out his flying machine)?

there have been others as well, many others. these three stick out the most in my recent memory though(aside from the asspulls at the battle for lordaeron), and really nothing triggers me more than this. i get that a story can't just constantly eat through characters dying to realistic situations, but why even write them into these situations in the first place? why not avoid the mess in the first place? it's becoming more commonplace in modern wow, and it's making it hard to even invest myself in the story in the first place(the faction war basically killed my ability to do that as it is.)

anyone else get triggered by this the way i do? does anyone else even see it?

1. sylvanas and the horde not being immediately slaughtered by malfurion and the crippling of malfurion's full strength. there would multiple times when malfurion could have just ended the threat immediately, but instead he either retreats or simple blinds her and retreats.
    lol

Malfurion can solo the entire Horde now

someone needs a reality check

he is strong, but any army >>>>>>>> him

especially when his body is still vulnerable to sharp things

Hurr hurr hurr why do they not just use snipers to instantly assassinate every single leader as soon as they show their face anywhere.

Because it doesn't make for good storytelling.

15+ Year Old Account
    why don't the goblins just use their big cannon and blow up stormwind

checkmate alliance

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    An abundance of powerful characters is the cancer of writing. We could do with a mass purging of some of the more powerful amongst Azeroth's denizens.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like whining about the Horde again.

Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    lol

in the war of the ancients his anger almost consumed both his own army and azshara's

he's 10k years more powerful now. at the very least, he could have immediately killed sylvanas and a score of her soldiers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    anyone else get triggered by this the way i do? does anyone else even see it?
    No, because there is no safe space in wow. Also, it's a game and it's Blizzard's decision how they want to tell the story. Harry Potter should have been killed because Death Eaters should have swarmed his location and kept track of him for all the times that he was out in the open. You going to get triggered by that too?
    "Why of course the people don't want war…. But, after all… it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

Lei Shen - He shouldn't had been strong enough to survive a blast that could wipe out a entire zone. He was so weak when we fought him, compared to the stronger bosses like Archimonde, Lich King, Deathwing etc yet he could survive a more powerful attack than them somehow.

Malfurion - Sylvanas should had just finished him when he was bleeding to his death instead of letting Saurfang do it. I understand she wanted Saurfang to prove himself that he is loyal but at the very least, stay and watch him actually finish the job instead of walking away.

Malgyos and Yogg Saron - Both should had been dead and rezzed by the Lich King by the time we got there. The Lich King has more than enough forces to overrun both of them and murder them. Only reason they were still alive is because we needed two low to mid tier raids so the Lich King let them both live.
    11/4/23 Updated power level -> Sargeras > Xal'atath > Void Empowered Azshara > Alleria > Galakrond > Iridikron > N'zoth > Jailor > Argus > Death Empowered Sylvanas > Lich King Arthas > Kil'jaeden > Archimonde > Illidan > Deathwing

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    An abundance of powerful characters is the cancer of writing. We could do with a mass purging of some of the more powerful amongst Azeroth's denizens.
    well, in general, most of the leadership isn't that strong. it's just malfurion, velen, tyrande, and jaina. now sylv is being pushed up a bit, but she still isn't all that impressive.

then you have the loa, which you can't get rid of since they're the gods of a whole people, and it'd be as bad as the night elves losing all of their gods(which is another complaint, the ancients not assisting the night elves in the war.)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mrbleedinggums View Post
    No, because there is no safe space in wow. Also, it's a game and it's Blizzard's decision how they want to tell the story. Harry Potter should have been killed because Death Eaters should have swarmed his location and kept track of him for all the times that he was out in the open. You going to get triggered by that too?
    if i was a fan of harry potter, yes. but wizards and witches like harry potter are lame, so i don't like them.

Life Vs Death is a hard battle, but death ALWAYS wins.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    The only instance of Malfurion being wrongly overpowered was in the book. Everywhere he's mortal and defeatable. Couldn't defeat Archimonde, Xavius or Ysera.

Stop with this headcanon and understand that he's as killable as any Alliance or Horde hero unit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lot of misinformation in the OPs post. I suggest looking at it from a neutral standpoint and Understanding the facts as they exist, rather than how you want them to be viewed.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

Salty Feline Overlord Beerbill Society's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    lol

For a guy that was living INSIDE a hurricane for six months, he has been portrayed poorly lately.

He is a glass cannon, we get that, but why haven't we seen a single shoot from him lately?

"... And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers, and you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee." - Ezekiel 25:17

"My name is Legion: for we are many." - Mark 5:9
    My characters :3

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    lol

Malfurion took out an entire army of demons, on his own, back in the War of the Ancients. That's when he was still a newbie Archdruid who was just coming into his powers. You think, 10k years later, he shouldn't be able to replicate that feat?

As to how he killed them, he conjured up a massive hurricane that devastated thousands of demons. He did this on his own, with no help from anyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post
    why don't the goblins just use their big cannon and blow up stormwind

checkmate alliance
    Because it's Goblin made, it would probably blow up Azshara and take the Valley of Honor with it.

Speaking of huge Goblin cannons we have one in westfall, in the deadmines, yet it failed to accomplish what it was made for.

"... And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers, and you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee." - Ezekiel 25:17

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    if i was a fan of harry potter, yes. but wizards and witches like harry potter are lame, so i don't like them.
    I bet you'd choose to be one rather than an oblivious Muggle if they were real though.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by Anjerith View Post
    Lot of misinformation in the OPs post. I suggest looking at it from a neutral standpoint and Understanding the facts as they exist, rather than how you want them to be viewed.
    no there's not. malfurion, by lore, should be able to handle a score of soldiers and sylvanas. this is established fact. even azshara was nervous when his full power was displayed, and like i said it nearly killed his own army and azshara's.

they put sylvanas right on the front line facing him. she should have died, it's that simple.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Well, Blizzard is fighting this actively with those squishes lol

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    I bet you'd choose to be one rather than an oblivious Muggle if they were real though.
    eh, i guess. power's power, even if it's lame looking.