Thread: Threat changes

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have not had any threat issues as a Guardian Druid, other than with Unbound Chaos or Windwalker Burst after pull. But other than that no major issues & I even had a 310 weapon compared to others at the time & now with a 340 nothing wrong.
    Last edited by Arbs; 2018-08-29 at 05:15 PM.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfrostzero View Post
    It isn't tanks being "bad" if it is intentionally harder to get threat. Watching your threat is a DPS job, not a tank job.
    guess i'll never wrap my head around this idea. maybe i'm dumb or maybe no one is presenting me any argument as to why but whatever.
    To me it's just backasswards. The only way to not generate threat is to stop doing damage. How anyone considers that a good thing when your most important job is to do dmg i have no clue.

Quote Originally Posted by Sadoraan View Post
    I don't like the changes.

I see threat generation and threat being relevant as something that people only really like because it "used to be a thing". I could be wrong here, not basing this on much beyond my own views, but it seems like if threat was NEVER an issue, and then suddenly they made it an issue this expansion, people would be absolutely up in arms about it. It's only considered an engaging part of the game because it is something that used to exist in previous expansions.
    Threat was sort of an issue at high mythic+ keys during Legion. Since tanks generated so much threat they could kite too easily, which allowed people to overpull and kite, but dps would never pull off threat, even though the tanks had barely tapped the enemies. Blizzard didn't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Khallid View Post
    Threat was sort of an issue at high mythic+ keys during Legion. Since tanks generated so much threat they could kite too easily, which allowed people to overpull and kite, but dps would never pull off threat, even though the tanks had barely tapped the enemies. Blizzard didn't like it.
    That could have been trivially fixed by threat decay over time. No need to overhaul the whole system.

These changes don't hurt you if you only play with friends or guildmates-- in fact, you probably like them if you fit that category. They're deadly for casuals and puggers.

I'm maining Blood DK this expansion. The only time I have threat issues is when me, the tank, is making a mistake. Of course I'm not counting when a DPS body pulls a separate pack. If a DPS is pulling threat off you, I'd almost bet it's a player issue and not a class issue. I'm an old school Prot Warrior, though, and "spreading the Sunders" is a familiar concept to me. I rotate targets throughout the trash packs to keep threat spread evenly between my Blood Boils. I'd recommend target cycling if you're not already doing it.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    SunderClaps fix all troubles
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Frost mage open will aggro almost always on a aoe dungeon pack. No matter if im targetting the same mob as the tank. The opening is too strong for the tank hold any off target.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Pet taunts are automatically disabled when you enter a dungeon or raid in BfA so something is off there.
    well then why am i loosing random mob to a hunter pet or a void walker? and at the same time they said sorry had taunt on then after that no issues.
    Last edited by sosleapy; 2018-08-29 at 07:10 PM.

Going to be honest I don't even notice the change. Even in pugs.

Quote Originally Posted by otro View Post
    Frost mage open will aggro almost always on a aoe dungeon pack. No matter if im targetting the same mob as the tank. The opening is too strong for the tank hold any off target.
    I run with a frost mage and never had an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by ToxicFlame View Post
    guess i'll never wrap my head around this idea. maybe i'm dumb or maybe no one is presenting me any argument as to why but whatever.
    To me it's just backasswards. The only way to not generate threat is to stop doing damage. How anyone considers that a good thing when your most important job is to do dmg i have no clue.
    Some dps have threat dumps. You can focus on your tank's target that's likely to have full threat against and harder to peel. Don't blow a cd on a trash pack, or even count to 3 before you go HAM on things.

Just a few suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by sosleapy View Post
    I run with a frost mage and never had an issue.
    Dunno man... maybe my tank is bad... but I don't think thats the case... orb + blizzard + comet storm with pet freeze will burst for a lot and i just assumed its because of threat changes.

Some dps have threat dumps. You can focus on your tank's target that's likely to have full threat against and harder to peel. Don't blow a cd on a trash pack, or even count to 3 before you go HAM on things.

Just a few suggestions.
    don't have a threat dump so that's out.
    already focusing my tanks target.
    "don't blow cd on a trash pack" why should i not? how is this a good change? this is exactly the type of logic that to me seems backasswards. why would you want TRASH to die slower?
    "or even count to 3" ... how's that any fun? not garbage at the game? better wait 3 seconds then. WHAT? WHAT THE FUCK????

Quote Originally Posted by ToxicFlame View Post
    don't have a threat dump so that's out.
    already focusing my tanks target.
    "don't blow cd on a trash pack" why should i not? how is this a good change? this is exactly the type of logic that to me seems backasswards. why would you want TRASH to die slower?
    "or even count to 3" ... how's that any fun? not garbage at the game? better wait 3 seconds then. WHAT? WHAT THE FUCK????
    This is changes the Classic crowd has wanted. Take that up with them. I am just saying as a Classic player, these were the solutions then. I don't think it is fun trying to manage threat against 3-4+ targets when my toolkit doesn't allow it. I tanked dungeons in classic, so tab target/rotating on mobs isn't lost on me, but the average tank is going to just hit one thing and let their aoe buttons fly on CD even though they no longer do enough damage to maintain threat if a DPS is focusing on it.

I added the Fathoms deck to my Monk for tanking and it has helped. However, if someone starts DPSing off the bat or blows a CD there is no way for me to pull threat back minus a taunt. If there are multiple targets that I have lost threat on because all the DPS are going HAM on different targets, that is on them.

I can also suggest giving tanking a try. Then you can get a feel for it too. Maybe come up with your own personal solution.

Quote Originally Posted by lyphe View Post
    Has been fine.

I'm a well geared rogue and I rarely have issues, even in pugs.
    You probably just need to get practice.
    I've had some severely threat issues in pugs when I'm on my DPS chars, but it's almost always the tank's fault. I'm super thankful for TotT on my rogue, let's me unleash Blade Flurry + Killing Spree, which in turn helps out the tank maintain initial threat in general (it's also great to redirect threat from healers when someone pulls extra mobs on accident). I'm thankful on my mage that I snare the crap out of mobs so that they never reach me. When I DPS on my druid... I pray that I have CD's available. If anything, being a DPS nowadays with a weak tank gets you familiar with all the tools and tricks you can use to survive.

Tanking-wise, threat isn't really an issue on my bear, and we really lack a burst damage CD by default to cement initial threat. DPS doing stupid stuff makes it harder, but it's usually a threat lost on the pull that lasts a GCD at most.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

If dps are pulling aggro from you, you are not doing something right. If you are pulling aggro from the tank he's fucking up. Got 4 chars to 120, 3 of which above 335. 1 tank and 2 dps, so I have gone at it from both sides.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Córiban View Post
    As a moronic Roflstomper DPS myself, I love the Changes. The Drums are finally back for me and I can skate the Edges of pulling Aggro once more, like back in the good old Days of TBC and sometimes Wrath.
    Skating is for fancy costumed effeminate people.

Push the zamboni out the way, and hulk smash with an ice pick until you hit china

Quote Originally Posted by otro View Post
    Dunno man... maybe my tank is bad... but I don't think thats the case... orb + blizzard + comet storm with pet freeze will burst for a lot and i just assumed its because of threat changes.
    I am a DH tank so i go in infernal strike with sigle then immo aura followed by soul bomb so yeah . good luck pulling off that unless you taunting.

This is changes the Classic crowd has wanted. Take that up with them. I am just saying as a Classic player, these were the solutions then. I don't think it is fun trying to manage threat against 3-4+ targets when my toolkit doesn't allow it. I tanked dungeons in classic, so tab target/rotating on mobs isn't lost on me, but the average tank is going to just hit one thing and let their aoe buttons fly on CD even though they no longer do enough damage to maintain threat if a DPS is focusing on it.

I added the Fathoms deck to my Monk for tanking and it has helped. However, if someone starts DPSing off the bat or blows a CD there is no way for me to pull threat back minus a taunt. If there are multiple targets that I have lost threat on because all the DPS are going HAM on different targets, that is on them.

I can also suggest giving tanking a try. Then you can get a feel for it too. Maybe come up with your own personal solution.
    you said, and i quote, "Watching your threat is a DPS job, not a tank job." Yet you keep failing to provide a single reason that is a good thing. You keep telling me how you deal with it. but you fail go give reasons why any of that is a good thing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TehTemplar View Post
    If dps are pulling aggro from you, you are not doing something right. If you are pulling aggro from the tank he's fucking up. Got 4 chars to 120, 3 of which above 335. 1 tank and 2 dps, so I have gone at it from both sides.
    Give me fullish rp and I'll rip agro from warriors and bears from 30 yards in 3gcds

Maybe not the best bear and warrior tanks, but I almost feel sorry for them braving hc and mythic, only for dickheads like myself make it more difficult for them.