Gaming pc, what would you buy or would you wait.

Looking to buy a new computer.

Wanting it to last 5 years or longer.

Mainly for gaming. Right now for wow but maybe other games.

Budget 3k to 4k

Would need everything.

What would you buy? Or should I wait till the 7nm tech to come out.

I would build. If you havent before its not as hard as it sounds! Can make something awesome for 3-4k

Quote Originally Posted by Viperown05 View Post
    I would build. If you havent before its not as hard as it sounds! Can make something awesome for 3-4k
    I would be building it myself. Although its been more than 5 years since I built my last one. I am not up on all the latest tech yet. Basically looking around right now. Trying to absorb all the info and learn what is better to get and why over the others. Almost bought a Samsung evo ssd 1 tb drive today from staples because they had them on sale for 134 bucks but passed because I figured they maybe cheaper by the time I put this computer together depending on if I wait till next year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait until next year unless you're in a hurry. 7nm will be worth the wait imo.

At the very least wait for nVidia 20X0 series benchmarks next month and Intel 9th gen (that's pretty much in the pricing/mass production phase).

Deleted
    I myself am kinda in market for new PC, but I will wait for zen2 to drop(probably April 2019). If you are in more hurry wait for intel 9th gen and nvidia 2000 series

For gaming: 8700k +1080(ti) + 16/32 GB ram. But you could wait a bit like everyone has said, which will probably drive the older parts prices down or buy the cutting edge stuff and get a little more longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by CryotriX View Post
    You have about 3 choices:

- build now, with something like 8700K+1080ti. Will be a beastly PC.
    - wait a 2-3 months until both Nvidia and Intel release their new products. You'd probably get something like 9700K or even 9900k and a RTX 2080. You pretty much be set for a long time, have ray tracing and a card that's probably on par/a bit faster than 1080ti.
    - wait until (???) and get next gen something something, like RTX 3080 die shrink to 7nm and the new Ryzen 2 or some 10nm Intel. Problem is nobody knows how much these things will cost, how will they perform, or when they will come out. Hell, we don't even know if that 7nm will be called 3080. Might be 2180 :/

Buying a 9900K and 2080 or even a 2080ti is probably the safest choice. Even if these cards won't be a huge jump, there'll still be a jump. It will cost you dearly though, a 2080ti is like 1200USD, a 9900K maybe 600USD, if you need a monitor too (and want a really good one) you'll pretty much be running out of money fast. Of course, there's always 9700K and 2080. You have a good budget and room to play with.
    Well waiting is definitely okay in my book. Right now I am not playing but would like to get back to it.

I just don't want to buy something that will be outdated fast or have a problem with upgrading it.

Also don't want to buy Crap...so there is no rush.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BartenderKillian View Post
    Well waiting is definitely okay in my book. Right now I am not playing but would like to get back to it.

I just don't want to buy something that will be outdated fast or have a problem with upgrading it.

Also don't want to buy Crap...so there is no rush.
    In that case, definitely wait until the 2080/2080ti reviews for your GPU, and the 9700k/9900k reviews for your CPU.

Chances are the 2100/3000 will be a big upgrade, but they're at least a year away, probably 2 or 3. Intel going to 10nm in with the 10000 series (Hope they get a better name..) will also be a decent upgrade, but again, we're looking at likely 1-2 years away

this Fall best build is: 9700K/9900K + 1080Ti / 2080 / 2080Ti

waiting for 7nm/10nm is fine, but you may need to wait for 2020+

- Intel desktop gaming CPUs on 10/10+nm is Q3/Q4 2019 at the earliest, quite possibly 2020 ...

- AMD Ryzen 3000 Zen2 7nm is supposed to be 2019, but it will only come out after EPYC 7nm, so thats likely only in H2 2019, and given 7nm troubles at GlobalFoundries - maybe there wont be enough production capacity for 7nm Ryzen 3000 in 2019 .. hopefully not, but who knows .. there will be a lot of orders for TSMCs 7nm in 2019 and EPYC will have priority over Ryzen 3000

- it has been 100% confirmed that Vega 7nm will be professional only, no gaming version (and even for gaming it would have been underwhelming anyway) .. Navi 7nm gaming version is in 2020, if not 2021 .. and there are rumors that Navi is tailored for PS5, so who knows what scraps PC will get from Navi ..

- Nvidia just released 2000 series on 12nm, so we probably cant expect 7nm GeForce in 2019, but who knows for sure .. but probably not ..

Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    - Nvidia just released 2000 series on 12nm, so we probably cant expect 7nm GeForce in 2019, but who knows for sure .. but probably not ..
    At this point they are all drinking from the same well, if there are no 7nm chips, there are no 7nm chips. Only Samsung can save us.

You appear to be unaware but Glofo will not be producing any 7nm chips, they have abandoned new node R&D for the time being in lieu of "optimisation"(almost like Intel, actually) and thus their partnership with AMD has ended. They are all using TSMC and maybe Samsung soon. Aside from Intel this is now a comprehensive list of bleeding edge silicon manufacturers. TSMC, Samsung, Intel. That's it.

Given that Vega 7nm will be professional only, you can read between the lines and say they just cannot get the yields required as of yet.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

there will obviously be 7nm chips in 2019, at least from TSMC, idk about Samsung

the question is if it will be enough for everyone .. IF Nvidia really wanted to have 7nm GPUs at any cost in 2019, I'm sure they could secure some fab capacity for themselves for 2019 .. but why would they ? they dont yet need 7nm in 2019

2000 series/Turing will hold them over till 2020+

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    You appear to be unaware but Glofo will not be producing any 7nm chips,
    given 7nm troubles at GlobalFoundries

Given that Vega 7nm will be professional only
    Vega 7nm being Pro only was already announced some time before the announcement that GF is dropping 7nm

Vega is just more suited there, so they will concede competition at high-end gaming space until Navi

Intel is having "troubles" with their 10nm process, Glofo has scrapped 7nm completely for the foreseeable future, was clarifying.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BartenderKillian View Post
    I would be building it myself. Although its been more than 5 years since I built my last one. I am not up on all the latest tech yet.
    Built mine this year after 11 years since the last one, it's actually easier than it ever has been with modern plug & play standards and narrower hardware choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post
    Built mine this year after 11 years since the last one, it's actually easier than it ever has been with modern plug & play standards and narrower hardware choices.
    I am not really worried with building it, as I built my last three. Its just been a while.

I am more worried about what to buy to make sure it lasts a while before an upgrade is needed. I'd like it to last a while.

Right now it seems new things seem to be on the verge of coming out and I am wondering if I should wait.

Cpu changes which may or may not have a socket change.
    Pcie express changes is 4.0 or 5.0 going to happen
    Gpu changes

Those things and maybe others. Trying to future proof.