Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

Matt Smith has been cast in Star Wars episode 9. He recently played Prince Phillip in the UK TV series "The Crown" but was fired once it became public knowledge that he was being paid significantly more than co-star Claire Foy. The producers of the show defend the firing by saying the role was always going to be recast eventually.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Matt Smith has been cast in Star Wars episode 9. He recently played Prince Phillip in the UK TV series "The Crown" but was fired once it became public knowledge that he was being paid significantly more than co-star Claire Foy. The producers of the show defend the firing by saying the role was always going to be recast eventually.
    Lmao. Every role is being recast for the next season.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by durrtygoodz View Post
    Indeed, wasn't there a huge time jump at the end of the last season, and they're now dealing with a far older Queen/Prince? IIRC, the outstanding Olivia Coleman is now playing Queen Elizabeth, and Tobias Menzies is Prince Philip.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by durrtygoodz View Post
    Ah, I see.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Trailer 2 just hit a few hours ago:

IMO: Visually nice, but oh goddess that awful music... I REALLY hope that's just a choice for the trailer only and not used in the show itself. >_<

...AND WHY HAVEN'T THEY SHOWN THE [BLANK]ING TARDIS YET!? >_<

Quote Originally Posted by mvaliz View Post
    Trailer 2 just hit a few hours ago:

IMO: Visually nice, but oh goddess that awful music... I REALLY hope that's just a choice for the trailer only and not used in the show itself. >_<

The new TARDIS is a huge "reveal" moment so they're probably holding it for the show (or maybe a special event). I assume she'll get the TARDIS back at the end of the first episode, but is it already going to be redecorated or will she do that herself? Usually it's the Doctor that makes the changes not the TARDIS itself, right?

All the trailers have had terrible pop music accompanying the video. I hope to god they don't use it in the show.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, decent trailer. Fairly generic, and I hope that “whose in charge? She is!” Scene is a one off, and not something repeated every gods damned episode like Bill’s inclinations were.

As for the music, don’t worry it’s a generic pop song from a UK singer. It’s been used in a few adverts, it’s not connected to the show at all.

Finally, the TARDIS. I might have made this up... but I seem to recall hearing somewhere that the season would start with her having lost the TARDIS and the opener (two parter?) would be about her trying to find it again. So could be that they’re hiding the TARDIS, because they want the reveal of where it is to be a surprise.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Yeah, decent trailer. Fairly generic, and I hope that “whose in charge? She is!” Scene is a one off, and not something repeated every gods damned episode like Bill’s inclinations were.
    Huh, I didn't take it as a "pro-woman" thing until I read your post. I guess it didn't bother me as companions have said similar things with previous Doctors dating back to Hartnel, so that's how I took it.

On that note though, I'm actually expecting there to be some sigh-inducing line in every episode - similar to the "Gaygenda" of the RTD era, the "Rory Dying" agenda in the Moff Era, the interacial couples in EVERY season and, as you say - the Bill's orientation agenda in the final season - but I think those happen for a different reason entirely.

My theory is based on the Rory Dying every episode bit. I don't think that was intentional, but I'm betting Moff told the writers that they were to use Rory as a means to explore Amy's feelings - so, every writer on their own said "Lets kill him! That would shock Amy!". I think the same things happened with the "Gaygenda". I feel it's all the writers saying "now I get to write something different that fits modern day to challenge the system!" and they all ended up doing the same thing. It's funny as the actor who played Bill commented that her being gay wasn't to be a big deal and was suposed to be 1 line in the first episode, and it appeared in EVERY episode... I bet Moff just said "OK, she's gay, ect" and the writers all individually said "OK, I'm going to use that as we've not seen a gay character yet!". That's why it got so damn tiresome in every episode... >_<

I think the same thing's going to happen here with the female Doctor. Every episode writer is going to want to put THEIR spin on the "new idea" that she's a female Doctor instead of just focusing on writing a cracking good story for the cast and leaving it at that.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I DO want that to happen so that the Doctor (and thus the audience) can experience what the "other side" feels like a bit, both for comedic and drama purposes... but they should reserve that to one or two stories, not resorting to the one snarky *Snort* line in every episode.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Finally, the TARDIS. I might have made this up... but I seem to recall hearing somewhere that the season would start with her having lost the TARDIS and the opener (two parter?) would be about her trying to find it again. So could be that they’re hiding the TARDIS, because they want the reveal of where it is to be a surprise.
    Yeah, I read that somewhere as well - but as far as I know that was just a rumor and not confirmation.

All I'm saying is imagine if we saw several Star Trek trailers less than a month before its release and NOT have them show the show's most iconic ship at all... it's a one of the most identifiable icons of the show. So... /shrug?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post
    Usually it's the Doctor that makes the changes not the TARDIS itself, right?
    The theory it's done by the TARDIS itself. Even in Classic the redesign just "happened", with the sole exception of when the 4th Doctor switched to the "Secondary Control Room" that was wood/brass. To be fair though, the primary console room ever changed only 3 times in Classic... 1- early 4th the console room was just slowly changed here and there for production reasons. The first "redesign" came in Masque of Mandragora with the secondary console wood/brass room. That remained until Invisible Enemy where they moved back in and the Doctor claimed it was previously closed for redecoration. That lasted until the 5 Doctors, where the new console room just "happened" with nothing mentioned about it being new at all other than Davison dusting off the control room in the beginning.

...yeah, I'm a decades-old classic series lover and am proud of it. ^_^

In sold on jodie
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Huh, I didn't take it as a "pro-woman" thing until I read your post. I guess it didn't bother me as companions have said similar things with previous Doctors dating back to Hartnel, so that's how I took it.

On that note though, I'm actually expecting there to be some sigh-inducing line in every episode - similar to the "Gaygenda" of the RTD era, the "Rory Dying" agenda in the Moff Era, the interacial couples in EVERY season and, as you say - the Bill's orientation agenda in the final season - but I think those happen for a different reason entirely.

My theory is based on the Rory Dying every episode bit. I don't think that was intentional, but I'm betting Moff told the writers that they were to use Rory as a means to explore Amy's feelings - so, every writer on their own said "Lets kill him! That would shock Amy!". I think the same things happened with the "Gaygenda". I feel it's all the writers saying "now I get to write something different that fits modern day to challenge the system!" and they all ended up doing the same thing. It's funny as the actor who played Bill commented that her being gay wasn't to be a big deal and was suposed to be 1 line in the first episode, and it appeared in EVERY episode... I bet Moff just said "OK, she's gay, ect" and the writers all individually said "OK, I'm going to use that as we've not seen a gay character yet!". That's why it got so damn tiresome in every episode... >_<

I think the same thing's going to happen here with the female Doctor. Every episode writer is going to want to put THEIR spin on the "new idea" that she's a female Doctor instead of just focusing on writing a cracking good story for the cast and leaving it at that.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I DO want that to happen so that the Doctor (and thus the audience) can experience what the "other side" feels like a bit, both for comedic and drama purposes... but they should reserve that to one or two stories, not resorting to the one snarky *Snort* line in every episode.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I read that somewhere as well - but as far as I know that was just a rumor and not confirmation.

All I'm saying is imagine if we saw several Star Trek trailers less than a month before its release and NOT have them show the show's most iconic ship at all... it's a one of the most identifiable icons of the show. So... /shrug?

- - - Updated - - -

The theory it's done by the TARDIS itself. Even in Classic the redesign just "happened", with the sole exception of when the 4th Doctor switched to the "Secondary Control Room" that was wood/brass. To be fair though, the primary console room ever changed only 3 times in Classic... 1- early 4th the console room was just slowly changed here and there for production reasons. The first "redesign" came in Masque of Mandragora with the secondary console wood/brass room. That remained until Invisible Enemy where they moved back in and the Doctor claimed it was previously closed for redecoration. That lasted until the 5 Doctors, where the new console room just "happened" with nothing mentioned about it being new at all other than Davison dusting off the control room in the beginning.

Actually the wood brass one was used for years. Most of the wood brass set got warped in storage from getting wet. But they took what they could salvage and painted it white. The 5th doctors taardis was the wood brass set painted white. You can see the roundels are the same and the roman column is the same.

Actually the wood brass one was used for years. Most of the wood brass set got warped in storage from getting wet. But they took what they could salvage and painted it white. The 5th doctors taardis was the wood brass set painted white. You can see the roundels are the same and the roman column is the same.
    Really!? I have to check that out! And here I thought I knew it all when it came to classic! Thx for that! ^_^

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I am on episode 4 of the Invasion of Time season 15 finale, and it is really poor writing overall. I had read that this episode wasn't well-thought-out but sometimes bad reviews are still enjoyable episodes. BBC is such an odd animal in how shows could survive years (15 at this point) with ongoing chaos in who was in charge, what they were trying to accomplish, etc. We are fortunate it was so, no american sci-fi ever lasted more then 3?? years prior to ST TNG (unless lost in space did?).

current series - i expect BBC to cram the social programming down the viewers' throat as usual, from visual to dialogue to emotive, etc. No surprise there. The move to sunday plus some comments about the new series (a more relateable doctor!)suggest they may be trying to tone down the harder edges of the doctor's character and move into 'prime-time' as it were, esp. if they are going to be doing any number of 'socially relevant' historical episodes.
    Last edited by Deficineiron; 2018-09-21 at 01:05 PM.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Quote Originally Posted by Deficineiron View Post
    I am on episode 4 of the Invasion of Time season 15 finale, and it is really poor writing overall. I had read that this episode wasn't well-thought-out but sometimes bad reviews are still enjoyable episodes. BBC is such an odd animal in how shows could survive years (15 at this point) with ongoing chaos in who was in charge, what they were trying to accomplish, etc. We are fortunate it was so, no american sci-fi ever lasted more then 3?? years prior to ST TNG (unless lost in space did?).
    Actually most shows are like this. Its total chaos with emotionally underdeveloped adults making key decisions that infuriate everyone else. Sports teams also suffer from this. Musical acts also suffer from this.

Ive seen every episode of Dr Who from Hartnell to Capaldi (even the lost episodes thanks to audio) and i have said my piece about having more human companions on this forum many times but i will give this a chance.

I shall see this with a open mind so please dont disappoint me BBC! and i saw fucking the Twin Dilemma!!

the only things i'm disappointed with the upcoming series 11 are:

the doctor isn't sodding ginger!

there will be only 10 episodes.....

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually most shows are like this. Its total chaos with emotionally underdeveloped adults making key decisions that infuriate everyone else. Sports teams also suffer from this. Musical acts also suffer from this.
    I was spoiled, based on reviews I started with seasons 12-14, and had my expectations at least partially skewed as a result. even then there was plenty of writing that required characters to act in a fashion so unbelievably stupid repeatedly in order to move plots forward.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

I was spoiled, based on reviews I started with seasons 12-14, and had my expectations at least partially skewed as a result. even then there was plenty of writing that required characters to act in a fashion so unbelievably stupid repeatedly in order to move plots forward.
    The writing got really good in seasons 12-14 and it had basically become more of an adult TV show with the levels of blood and violence. There was enormous pressure from activist groups to tone it down and make it more of a kids show and so changes were made for season 15. Season 15 felt uneven because they werent sure where to go next. Season 16 saw them try a story arc format. Season 17 saw them try comedy. Seasons 18-21 saw them try to go with more conventional drama. Then with 6 they tried a more angry doctor dressed as a clown and it didn't work at all. They were going for hartnell but really just got a bad actor and awful dialogue. Then they shifted into fantasy with 7 and then it got cancelled.

it would never hit the heights of seasons 12-14 again. I personally loved the contrast between Tom Baker as the Doctor (who had genuinely great comic timing) thrown into the middle of just stark horror in seasons 12-14. The plots were a perfect contrast to Tom's style.
    Last edited by Kokolums; 2018-09-22 at 07:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The writing got really good in seasons 12-14 and it had basically become more of an adult TV show with the levels of blood and violence. There was enormous pressure from activist groups to tone it down and make it more of a kids show and so changes were made for season 15. Season 15 felt uneven because they werent sure where to go next. Season 16 saw them try a story arc format. Season 17 saw them try comedy. Seasons 18-21 saw them try to go with more conventional drama. Then with 6 they tried a more angry doctor dressed as a clown and it didn't work at all. They were going for hartnell but really just got a bad actor and awful dialogue. Then they shifted into fantasy with 7 and then it got cancelled.

it would never hit the heights of seasons 12-14 again. I personally loved the contrast between Tom Baker as the Doctor (who had genuinely great comic timing) thrown into the middle of just stark horror in seasons 12-14. The plots were a perfect contrast to Tom's style.
    there were some very effective stories in 12-14 that did not rely on (BAD) bbc sci-fi effects, but mary whitehouse was completely right on one thing - putting the guy into the mulcher (or threatening to, previously) is not kid's hour, etc. etc. etc. not even sure that was a hinchcliffe-era one)

I like Jon Pertwee's doctor but he was given a lot more limited stuff to work with, and when I look at the one? UNIT episode written for tom (the loch ness one, not Robot), it is hard to image Pertwee having pulled it off so well with his doctor.

there were some very effective stories in 12-14 that did not rely on (BAD) bbc sci-fi effects
    Think about this. The Seeds of Doom was based on the 1951 film "The Thing from Another World" in which a aggressive plant from space takes taking over an Arctic base after being thawed out. Its virtually certain that The Seeds of Doom influenced John Carpenter to make The Thing in 1982. Seeds of Doom aired from January to March 1976 and Wilbur Stark bought the rights to the Thing in 1976 and approached John Carpenter to direct it in 1976 where it languished in development hell for a few years until the success of Alien (1979). So it was all very close in time. It seems like Seeds of Doom aired and Stark went out and grabbed the rights to The Thing ASAP lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Think about this. The Seeds of Doom was based on the 1951 film "The Thing from Another World" in which a aggressive plant from space takes taking over an Arctic base after being thawed out. Its virtually certain that The Seeds of Doom influenced John Carpenter to make The Thing in 1982. Seeds of Doom aired from January to March 1976 and Wilbur Stark bought the rights to the Thing in 1976 and approached John Carpenter to direct it in 1976 where it languished in development hell for a few years until the success of Alien (1979). So it was all very close in time. It seems like Seeds of Doom aired and Stark went out and grabbed the rights to The Thing ASAP lol.
    I have read about this before - I am pretty sure the underlying push behind the 1951 movie was at least in part HP Lovecraft's book with a much more practical alien for 1950's effects, but from there, unless the film rights were in negotiation already prior to the DW episode - it is hard to get away from the closeness of events in 1976. Has carpenter ever talked about this?

Is Stark british/ or was he in the UK or another country getting DW then? Just seeing DH in 1976 meant as I understand it you almost had to see the broadcast, period. (was it even in the US in any markets then?) of course he may have just gotten a call from someone saying 'grab the rights to xyz if you can' as a speculative gamble.
    Last edited by Deficineiron; 2018-09-23 at 05:54 AM.