Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Lich King Bolvar, Sylvanas connection

If Blizzard writers try to pull out that Bolvar is losing control and he becomes a new strong Lich King so he' s influencing Sylvanas and this is why she's on a rampage than I will freeze my account.
    There is bad Disney writing but this's a new low...

I bet Bolvar's daughter will save the day... what a pure trash. Is it so hard to be original for that much salary?

Quote Originally Posted by Dhru View Post
    If Blizzard writers try to pull out that Bolvar is losing control and he becomes a new strong Lich King so he' s influencing Sylvanas and this is why she's on a rampage than I will freeze my account.

I bet Bolvar's daughter will save the day... what a pure trash. Is it so hard to be original for that much salary?
    Go ahead. Come up with an 'original' story right here and now. Let's see what story line ISN'T trash in your eyes. I'll be waiting.

Deleted
    Well here is one:
    First of all Jaina has to be placed outside of her mother's castle. So people can see her... It is a shameless Elsa rip off but she looks good.
    Let alone the Lich King storyline as it is because I am not a greedy company who wants to bring back WOtLK content just to get more old subs back. Well If they brought Bolvar's doughter back she should die during the expansion and when she dies she can find out about his father who will maybe raise her as an undead. And he will make her the new leader of the forsaken?
    We face Azshara and we free her and her people from the old God's grasp and she will help us to kill Sylvanas and his personal "boy" Blightcaller who is contolled by someone. They join as a new race (elf form for traveling, naga in combat). We help restore their city by bringing up from the ocean.
    Sylvanas must be killed by the taurens with a tree trunk on her head (from the first trailer) when she is defeated. Maybe in a raid with 3 bosses? Saurfang must be killed for high treason at the end of the day. A suicidal kid makes the horde weak. Taurens will lead the horde from now on.

I could go so much more to spin this tale but I am not the one who is getting paid.

I love how people take a story that can be told in 15minutes and find 287 references to various movies/animes/books/games and proclaim that WoW ripped off the story of X, they liked or just watched/read/played.

Deleted
    Well not a lot of bad ending sotries out there so they should copy those. I would like to see a spin where we are the true cancer for this planet as Algalon said it in Ulduar.

5+ Year Old Account
    Well here is one:
    First of all Jaina has to be placed outside of her mother's castle. So people can see her... It is a shameless Elsa rip off but she looks good.
    Let alone the Lich King storyline as it is because I am not a greedy company who wants to bring back WOtLK content just to get more old subs back. Well If they brought Bolvar's doughter back she should die during the expansion and when she dies she can find out about his father who will maybe raise her as an undead. And he will make her the new leader of the forsaken?
    We face Azshara and we free her and her people from the old God's grasp and she will help us to kill Sylvanas and his personal "boy" Blightcaller who is contolled by someone. They join as a new race (elf form for traveling, naga in combat). We help restore their city by bringing up from the ocean.
    Sylvanas must be killed by the taurens with a tree trunk on her head (from the first trailer) when she is defeated. Maybe in a raid with 3 bosses? Saurfang must be killed for high treason at the end of the day. A suicidal kid makes the horde weak. Taurens will lead the horde from now on.

I could go so much more to spin this tale but I am not the one who is getting paid.
    Random redemption for a long standing villain, the death of another warchief, and put the Anduin fanboy in charge.

I gotta hand it to you, at least ONE of those things was somewhat original, since we've never had an Anduin Fanboy in charge of the Horde. But we've already seen Random Redemption for Illidan and Grommash and many other smaller characters, and the death of 2 warchiefs since WoW launched (not counting the dead from the RTSs).

Man. Why can't people who complain about the game lacking original stories come up with original stories?!
    When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like injustice.

7+ Year Old Account
    What gives you the idea/impression that Bolvar is trying to gain control over Sylvanas, causing this "warmonger" personality she has?

Deleted
    Well here is one:

Won't even talk about how bad this is but the fact that you would write "free azshara from old god influence and we become besties" is amazing, you have no fucking clue about basic lore and yet you act like you're twice as good as Blizzard to write their story.

Why don't we just have a story where people are responsible for their own actions? They do shitty things because they happen to be shitty. There is no redemption. There is no moment of clarity. They just did bad stuff.

You want to mix up the narrative? Let her win. Set up the next expansion with Sylvanas as the victor. But just let her be bloodthirsty and cruel and malicious. Just because that's what she's become. Not because of yet another outside force.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    Why don't we just have a story where people are responsible for their own actions? They do shitty things because they happen to be shitty. There is no redemption. There is no moment of clarity. They just did bad stuff.

You want to mix up the narrative? Let her win. Set up the next expansion with Sylvanas as the victor. But just let her be bloodthirsty and cruel and malicious. Just because that's what she's become. Not because of yet another outside force.
    You know what would be even -better-? Ditch the Bloodthirsty and Malicious part. Make her a moral pragmatist like Ozymandias from Watchmen. Have her be "Right" in the sense of saving the world, and wrong on almost any moral scale. She doesn't "Desire" killing or warfare or murder or whatever, it's just the best way to get her the things she does desire, and then have those desirous things be globally considered good.

That would have some moral greyness to it and make the whole issue a HELL of a lot more complicated for either side. The Alliance could hate her for all the injustice and pain and horror she's inflicted, the Horde could hate her for being an honorless monster willing to throw their lives away. But both sides must admit that her actions have lead to something -truly- good for everyone who survived the war she started.

THAT would be one hell of a storytelling twist. No old gods. No death-magic control. No clear-cut villain. Just someone doing whatever it takes to save the world. They -tried- to do that with Illidan, but they just kept screwing the pooch on showing it. He committed evil acts routinely in ways that weren't clearly desirous to others in their goals and ultimately showed "Moral Greyness" when viewed from a purely internalist perspective to his character.

Have Sylvanas justify her actions in character to the other characters and show them actively realizing "Fuck... She's right..." like Saurfang has already done, twice. Just show it happening with others, too. Baine. Lor'themar. Eventually even Anduin. Then have a character like Greymane, who has ever been the foil to the rest of the Alliance, shout about how wrong everyone else is and how she is clearly still the villain even if good things have come from her actions and have him go after her and maybe even succeed at defeating and/or killing her.

And then show the mixed feelings of the outcome of that attack being mixed or muddled, but ultimately positive. Because regardless of what good she did, she was -still- a cruel pragmatist who caused a lot of deaths to achieve peace or security or whatever else.
    When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like injustice.

It is a shameless Elsa rip off
    have you ever actually watched frozen? can you tell me one thing about jaina thats similar at all to elsa other than the fucking hair? jaina isnt even a lesbian dude.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

They weren't trying to be original the moment they pulled that stupid line "there must always be a lich king" out of nowhere
    I don't know what will happen with Bolvar but i really doubt it will lead to a decent story
    Wotlk should have been the end of the lich king for good and move on

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    jaina isnt even a lesbian dude.
    Headcanon at best that Elsa is gay

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    have you ever actually watched frozen? can you tell me one thing about jaina thats similar at all to elsa other than the fucking hair? jaina isnt even a lesbian dude.
    hold it right there. is elsa lesbian ? now THAT is a shocker.
    war does not determine who is right, only who is left.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well here is one:

all good, except... WHAT??

Quote Originally Posted by Lenis View Post
    I love how people take a story that can be told in 15minutes and find 287 references to various movies/animes/books/games and proclaim that WoW ripped off the story of X, they liked or just watched/read/played.

Campbell explores the theory that mythological narratives frequently share a fundamental structure. The similarities of these myths brought Campbell to write his book in which he details the structure of the monomyth. He calls the motif of the archetypal narrative, "the hero's journey". In a well-known quote from the introduction to The Hero With a Thousand Faces, Campbell summarizes the monomyth:

A hero ventures forth from the world of common day into a region of supernatural wonder: fabulous forces are there encountered and a decisive victory is won: the hero comes back from this mysterious adventure with the power to bestow boons on his fellow man.

In laying out the monomyth, Campbell describes a number of stages or steps along this journey. "The hero's journey" begins in the ordinary world. He must depart from the ordinary world, when he receives a call to adventure. With the help of a mentor, the hero will cross a guarded threshold, leading him to a supernatural world, where familiar laws and order do not apply. There, the hero will embark on a road of trials, where he is tested along the way. The archetypal hero is sometimes assisted by allies. As the hero faces the ordeal, he encounters the greatest challenge of the journey. Upon rising to the challenge, the hero will receive a reward, or boon. Campbell's theory of the monomyth continues with the inclusion of a metaphorical death and resurrection. The hero must then decide to return with this boon to the ordinary world. The hero then faces more trials on the road back. Upon the hero's return, the boon or gift may be used to improve the hero's ordinary world, in what Campbell calls, the application of the boon.

While many myths do seem to follow the outline of Campbell's monomyth, there is some variance in the inclusion and sequence of some of the stages. Still, there is an abundance of literature and folklore that follows the motif of the archetypal narrative, paralleling the more general steps of "Departure" (sometimes called Separation), "Initiation", and "Return". "Departure" deals with the hero venturing forth on the quest, including the call to adventure. "Initiation" refers to the hero's adventures that will test him along the way. The last part of the monomyth is the "Return", which follows the hero's journey home.

Campbell studied mythological and literary classics including the stories of Osiris, Prometheus, the Buddha, Moses, Mohammed, and Jesus. Campbell's book cites the similarities of the stories, and references them as he breaks down the structure of the monomyth.

The book includes a discussion of "the hero's journey" by using the Freudian concepts popular in the 1940s and 1950s. Campbell's theory incorporates a mixture of Jungian archetypes, unconscious forces, and Arnold van Gennep's structuring of rites of passage rituals to provide some illumination.[4] "The hero's journey" continues to influence artists and intellectuals in contemporary arts and culture, suggesting a basic usefulness for Campbell's insights beyond mid-20th century forms of analysis.

TLR = Nature of human storytelling tends to cause us to repeat narrative themes and ideas. common vernacular for it these days are "tropes"

10+ Year Old Account
    Bolvar was ruthless in Legion. After the DK campaign I really hope they advance that story.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    Random redemption for a long standing villain, the death of another warchief, and put the Anduin fanboy in charge.

I gotta hand it to you, at least ONE of those things was somewhat original, since we've never had an Anduin Fanboy in charge of the Horde. But we've already seen Random Redemption for Illidan and Grommash and many other smaller characters, and the death of 2 warchiefs since WoW launched (not counting the dead from the RTSs).

Man. Why can't people who complain about the game lacking original stories come up with original stories?!
    Burned harder than Bolvar at the wrathgate.

I'm just sitting here shaking my head at people, so determined to crap on Blizzard's writing, that they crap on Blizzard's theoretical writing. Don't you guys remember when you were doing that for Illidan's lightforged redemption arc and we got this instead?

Guys, let's get upset about a story we made up and hasn't been implied or even hinted to occur yet.

Perhaps you should freeze your account now just to get ahead, and then when it's confirmed they take a different route, you can unfreeze it and apologize (just kidding! I know you wouldn't do that. ).

Getting worked up about things that haven't occurred and haven't even been hinted to occur is quite frankly ridiculous. Just stop.

Deleted
    Bolvar is a Arthas wanne-by.
    I will only be interested in the Lich King again when they recon Ner'zhul back as the true Lich King.