Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nazeroth77 View Post
    What spec do you find yourself playing for Heroics/Mythics?

Personally I've been relying mostly on Survival with pretty great success. I have grouped with a few BM Hunters that have given me a run for my money, if I find a decent bow I may give them a go. I've seen no MM Hunters. I looked at Azortharion's sims on the three and it seems that all of them sim pretty close to one another, which is excellent
    I'm maining hunter, BM spec, and I love it. Pet AI still goes stupid on occasion, but it feels pretty rare/infrequent.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chaosweaver View Post
    Believe it or not, survival is by far the most fun spec at the moment but most hunter players won't ever try it because it's not ranged.
    This is what most people would call an opinion, not a fact.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dannihilate View Post
    Main is BM, primary alt is SV. In my personal and very humble opinion that is just my own so that no one gets triggered, they are both fun and I'm enjoying them a lot. I was annoyed in Legion when SV first went melee because the game didn't need another melee spec and certainly didn't need to gain one at the expense of a ranged spec, but they really did a bang up job on fixing it for BfA, even if it's basically just themed to be BM in melee.
    That's what bugs me about it. Survival, for all its flaws in Legion, at least felt unique. It was truly built from the ground up to serve its role... where as BFA's Surv feels like BM shoehorned into melee. It has Kill Command, a 'giant red pet' cooldown, etc.

Survival might be better now (or even vastly better) but I wish it didn't come at the expense of its uniqueness.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Maining BM because MM feels way too clunky at the moment, as much as I'd rather play that instead.
    My main problem with BM is that it feels like a melee player's ranged spec, due to the fact that every skill is instant cast. If only Cobra Shot had a cast timer (as it used to do prior to legion, while still castable on the move), I would have LOVED this spec. As it currently stands, it's 'alright'. Wish it at least had more mechanics going for it.

Spirit mend is a bit op, loving BM.

Deleted
    Hunter is just as much a mele class as Druids, Shamans, Paladins and Monks are.
    A bit of nitpicking: ALL Paladins specs are melee. They have a few long-range attacks, but melee is how they fight -- Holy included, although healers aren't usually expected to participate in close combat.

As for hunters, they are supposed to be a physical ranged class (other ranged classes use magic) of the "archer" archetype, not just a mail rogue with a spear.

Quote Originally Posted by NutellaCrepe View Post
    If you want elemental ranged DPS, Shamman and Mages are there waiting for you. Want a dot ranged class? Aff Locks and SPriests are there also waiting for you.
    If you want a melee weapon user, Death Knights, Demon Huntes, Druids, Monks, Paladins, Rogues, Shamans, and Warriors are waiting for you. Is that how this works? Senseless and dishonest overgeneralisation to prove a point?

Your wall of tears won't trigger any change in Blizzard's decision to design a hunter spec to be unique. It might trigger you so hard you feel compelled to write a subjective novel as to how you don't like the spec, but the truth of the matter is a ton of people play and enjoy the spec. SV hunters are incredibly popular.
    A) Implying SV wasn't unique before which is a melee-favouritism-driven fallacy
    B) Claiming Blizzard won't change anything when they literally just remade Survival AGAIN as part of a large compromise towards ranged gameplay
    C) LOL at SV being incredibly popular. The most recent stats we actually have are from the 8.0 prepatch raiding. Survival was brand new, being overhyped on the forms, and having a commanding numerical output lead over the other two specs (a whole 10% higher than MM in fact)... and proceeded to get trounced by both MM and BM in representation like every single other tier since 6.2. We don't have BfA raiding yet but considering SV couldn't even get close to MM despite a 10% DPS lead and it no longer has that lead at level 120... I don't think the odds are stacked in SV's favour

Your ego seems to lead you to believe that you hold a monopoly on the class. I pray for all that is good that you are never put in a game design decision making position.
    Good choice because my first decision as game designer would be to kill off Rexxar, my second decision would be to remake Survival as a ranged spec based on its WoD incarnation (the last time it actually had a tonne of people playing and enjoying it), and finally I would prohibit any melee mechanic from being introduced to the class in the future. Might sound like hell to you but the Hunter class had absolutely no trace of melee in MoP and WoD and that was when it was at its most popular and widely enjoyed state.

I enjoy SV as much as I enjoy reading how the existence of a melee hunter spec is rustling your jimmies.
    Don't get too comfortable because who knows whether you'll still enjoy it when they inevitably have to remake it again in 9.0. The next best thing to actually enjoying ranged SV was watching 7.0 SV crash and burn and all the people who liked it crying when it got canned and remade after just 1 expansion. Karmic justice.

"Chastising" is a gross overstatement to be honest.
    You chastised Hunters for dismissing the spec because it's melee. That's exactly what you did. Don't deny it.

I was refering to the hunter class as it is today, therefore my statement is 100% accurate.
    Still wrong because Feral and Enhancement have a degree of establishment to them not shared by Survival. Also neither Druid nor Shaman have ranged gameplay as core to their identity as the Hunter class does. Even with their weak, diluted, post-Legion definition of the Hunter class it's still immediately recognisable by the ranged weapons and both official and unoffical WoW media note that Hunters are the ranged weapon class; the official icon of the class is still a bow, after all. Survival will forever carry the baggage of being the black-sheep melee spec in what should be and once was a ranged class; Druids and Shamans don't have that so you can't pretend Hunters will ever be considered just like those classes.

Shooting fire balls, magical arcane arrows and black magic arrows and having more than 90% of your damage being magic is not what being an archer means. No amount of examples of random mmo's will change that. You're either an archer or a magic damage dealing dot class - pick one.
    Who died and made you the sole decider of what counts as an archer and what doesn't? I have never seen such a stubborn and baseless assertion regarding ranged weapons as "magic and archery are mutually exclusive". No other prominent fantasy makes an explicit point to distance the two and several fantasies actually merge them including the ones I mentioned as well as Warcraft itself (see: Tyrande and Sylvanas). Don't regurgitate your manufactured false dichotomy bullshit at me. You made it up on the spot and have nothing to back it up. Hopeless.

Taking it way too far with the role playing and nerd raging here. I really won't bother quoting the rest. It's amazing how someone liking survival and asking people to try it out first before shitting on it gets your so mad. If you really wanted to play a magic damage dot class there are several options to choose from in WoW.
    Don't play with fire if you can't take the heat. Hunters have every moral right to shitcan Survival and pretend it doesn't exist and if you're going to pretend they don't you will have me here tearing all your arguments apart, guaranteed. I don't like revisionism and I'm not inclined to stay silent while you dump your intellectual dishonesty onto the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Avikur View Post
    In Legion I would have agreed not many people played Survival, however, that certainly isn't the case now (so far)
    What do you mean "certainly"? We don't have any level 120 stats on specs yet and the most recent raiding stats show Survival was still the least-played Hunter spec by a country mile, losing to Marksmanship despite being over 10% ahead numerically. What makes you think it's significantly improved? This is exactly the same nonsense we went through with Legion Survival: people proclaimed it was the next big thing and every Hunter would switch and it was all empty hype.

Check out the wowstats. A ton of people play survival.
    Source or GTFO.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Survival might be better now (or even vastly better) but I wish it didn't come at the expense of its uniqueness.
    Its Legion uniqueness was largely a myth. It was mostly a merging of BM Hunter and Arms Warrior, quite similar to now except it didn't quite copy-paste BM's signature ability (although, let's be honest, Flanking Strike was a Kill Command ripoff; it even had Kill Command's tooltip in early Legion beta). People still described it in terms that better suited BM or Warriors.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I enjoy sv the most but don’t plan on raiding with it as I find Raid dpsing to be super dull. I’ll most likely stick sv for dungeons and pvp but switch to mm form time to time as mm also feels great even if slightly behind sv.

Quote Originally Posted by FpicEail View Post

---REEEEEEEE----
    Sorry Bro, Surv melee spec is here to stay. And you're just gonna have to deal with it.

Man Blizzard needs to tell Rexxar to get a bow, doesn't that idiot know hes been doing it all wrong since the second war?! Hunters don't use melee weapons BOWZ 4 LIFE!!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Maining Survival. With the right talents it feels a very smooth and fluid spec imo.

Plus I decided I want to try Melee this expansion. Got Outlaw Rogue and SV Hunter at 120 atm.
    Almost the same as me, only hunter is 120 atm. SV (to me) is just as much fun as BM.
    My first alt leveled will be my DH, which was the first melee I ever found fun to play.

Quote Originally Posted by FpicEail View Post
    .....yawn ....
    I don't think you having a paddy on the forums is going to make Blizzard backtrack and make Survival ranged again, nice try though

If you don't enjoy it that is up to you but it's not your place to lash out at people that do because you feel it's weakening your argument to make it ranged again.
    Battletag: Chris#23952 (EU)
    Warlock

melee surv is as garbage as a thought it would be.
    so i guess now hunter has two specs for the short-bus crowd since BM is even more stupid-proof then it used to be.

News Update:
    Melee survival still sucks and will still be unplayed.

Ironically, on alliance the other day there were two WQ or Emissary (I forget which) with Surv weapon as reward.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirbypro View Post
    Ironically, on alliance the other day there were two WQ or Emissary (I forget which) with Surv weapon as reward.
    It was one, an emissary that rewarded a polearm. Ilvl varied like any WQ reward does based on your own ilvl, mine at the time was about 322.

And of course later the same evening I got both a 340 2-hand and a 340 gun from mythic runs

Quote Originally Posted by Darkynhalvos View Post
    It was one, an emissary that rewarded a polearm. Ilvl varied like any WQ reward does based on your own ilvl, mine at the time was about 322.

And of course later the same evening I got both a 340 2-hand and a 340 gun from mythic runs
    Managed to get a 325 to titanforge upto 340 so I'm happy.

SV is really good fun imo. Wildfire infusion just makes their AoE absolutely disgusting. Pheromone Bomb and Tip of the Spear work so well together since you can Kill Command spam for 3 easy stacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Maining Survival. With the right talents it feels a very smooth and fluid spec imo.

Plus I decided I want to try Melee this expansion. Got Outlaw Rogue and SV Hunter at 120 atm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokas View Post
    which one you like better? Since I'm Outlaw as well
    Please answer Eleccybubb...

Going primarily SV, but I swap to BM fairly frequently. I've never liked BM in past expansions, but for some reason the BFA iteration is really working for me; the small adjustments made to Legion's BM have yielded a surprisingly fun result. I haven't even given MM a try yet, but I think I will soon. It's looked very bland to me from a distance, but it could still be fun to play, even if it means losing my pet (for me a core part of the hunter experience).

Quote Originally Posted by Alkaholic View Post
    Please answer Eleccybubb...
    I didn't notice the person had quoted me. If I had I would have answered.

Also don't order me about. I ain't your serving boy.

But to @Tokas. Hard to say. I enjoy both equally and I've yet to find any major issues with the specs. Outlaw feels a bit energy starved sometimes but it's very straightforward and Survival can be a bit dependant on Wildfire Infusion but thankfully Birds of Prey is also viable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Having played around with Survival more, its actually growing on me a bit. I wish the pet had an AOE attack of some kind, but on the whole I'm enjoying it more than I expected.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

I prefer Survival or BM, but I have multiple hunter alts, so eventually I'll play all three specs. I like Survival's flavor far beyond BM or MM, but BM is better for WQs so far, especially with regards to pet aoe.