Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    What is/was stopping you from moving out? Was he physically blocking you? I don't understand what's really happening from stopping you from moving out.

No, move out and let him try to stop you.

No, I would have moved out anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by McCulloch View Post
    Didn't think about the security deposit. You may have to suck it up and pay the prick.
    I am more familiar with NYC renting laws and NYC has a lot of renter's rights, so I am not sure about Ohio but... I really don't think a landlord can withold a security deposit "because my renter moved out on a holy day that had no affect on me whatsoever."

OP needs to do some more research about renter's rights in Ohio. It might depend on the city or county, too. OP may be protected and can use that protection without ever bringing a lawyer aboard. Knowing your rights can go a long way -- people like this bank on ignorance and a lack of fight. Show even a little bit of tenacity and they tend to back the f down.
    Last edited by Coffeecat; 2018-09-03 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by keryeth View Post
    I am more familiar with NYC renting laws and NYC has a lot of renter's rights, so I am not sure about Ohio but... I really don't think a landlord can withold a security deposit "because my renter moved out on a holy day that had no affect on me whatsoever."

OP needs to do some more research about renter's rights in Ohio. It might depend on the city or county, too. OP may be protected and can use that protection without ever bringing a lawyer aboard.
    My advice was to not pay for the day he made the renter stay by not letting him move out. I assume if the landlord has the security deposit, he can just take the money out of that.

yeah i'd just pack up and move....
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

My advice was to not pay for the day he made the renter stay by not letting him move out. I assume if the landlord has the security deposit, he can just take the money out of that.
    Oh yeah. I see what you're saying.

My issue though is the security deposit is still the OP's money. Not the landlord's. It is meant for repairs to the place in case the OP caused damage and whatnot, NOT to satisfy what sounds like a scam. It isn't like extra money for the landlord. It still belongs to the OP. So to me it's no different than paying the guy 50 bucks out of pocket.

Didn't think about the security deposit. You may have to suck it up and pay the prick.
    If you lived in a real country then the security deposit is not held by the land lord. It is held by a third party. If there are any "damages", both sides have to agree as to what they are and how much they are otherwise the third party will intervene. Of course you might not live in a democracy.

E.g. 1
    I had a place that was three weeks rent for the security deposit. Landlord sent me a letter telling me I forfeit the whole deposit. I agreed with that assesment and the landlord ws paid the full deposit.

E.g. 2
    Landlord said I caused damage that I didn't do. I said no, third party stepped in and asked for proof. I provided photo evidence and I got full deposit back.

Democracy.
    Last edited by munkeyinorbit; 2018-09-03 at 04:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like hes just trying to get a bit more money out of you by using the whole sunday excuse..

Quote Originally Posted by keryeth View Post

OP needs to do some more research about renter's rights in Ohio. It might depend on the city or county, too. OP may be protected and can use that protection without ever bringing a lawyer aboard. Knowing your rights can go a long way -- people like this bank on ignorance and a lack of fight. Show even a little bit of tenacity and they tend to back the f down.
    A landlord CAN'T do that - but most people don't have the means to sue and/or the cost of suing is more than you would stand to gain. It is very common for landlords to take part or all of the security deposit illegally and get away with it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Souls View Post
    So I just moved out of an apartment that I've lived in for a few years. The landlord is a very religious man, but he was nice enough, so I never really had any issues with him up until now. I gave him plenty of notice (well over a month) that I would be moving out yesterday (Sunday), but when the day finally came, he told me that Sunday is "the Lord's day" and that there's no moving on Sundays. I asked him if he was serious. He said he was, and added that Sundays are for resting, not moving.

Now at this point, since I've never had any issues with this guy before, I didn't want to get into a big thing with him, so I said I could move out on Monday instead, as long as I don't get charged for an extra day of pro-rated rent. He told me that if I'm staying an extra day, then I have to pay for the extra day, even though he's the one forcing me to stay. That works out to about $50.

Anyone know if he's actually allowed to do this? I read through the entire rental agreement and it says nothing about not being allowed to move out on a Sunday. I would hire a lawyer, but I'm sure I'd end up paying much more than $50 in the end. This happened in Ohio in case that matters.
    Tell him you'll sell your sister into slavery to get the extra $50

10+ Year Old Account
    No. He cannot legally force you to not work on a Sunday. He cannot blockade your door or prevent you from leaving or otherwise take your things into or out of the building.

I mean what's the worst he's gonna do? Kick you out?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Tell him he's being Pharisaical and that you view all days as alike, as endorsed in Romans 14:5 by Paul.

Unless it's in the contract, no he can't force you stay an extra day. If you do stay just o be nice to him I'm sure you'll have to pay though.
    Think it over however. It can be nice to have someone like him as a reference if you ever want to get a new apartment after all. It's just $50.

10+ Year Old Account
    A landlord cannot decide when you move out, only in.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Would be interesting to see him try to stop you.

Probably more to the story then you're letting on however.

I've never told any landlord when i'll be moving out, just when the appartment would be available for rent again.

You can move your shit out anytime you want. just wait and turn the keys in when they're open.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    Unless it's in the contract, no he can't force you stay an extra day. If you do stay just o be nice to him I'm sure you'll have to pay though.
    Think it over however. It can be nice to have someone like him as a reference if you ever want to get a new apartment after all. It's just $50.
    Even if it's in the contract, he probably can't force you to stay an extra day. If taken to court, that clause could easily be ruled invalid.