Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Group Finder should show leader iLv

As the title says. The reason for this being that too often, for raid groups especially, the group leaders asks for a (ridiculously) high item level while not having that themselves. Sure, you can optionally enter a minimum item level which you cannot set higher than your own. And that's a good thing. I personally prefer groups that have this, so I know the group leader isn't simply organising a run in order to be carried.

That in itself isn't an offence, of course. People choose to participate in such runs willingly. But this is often under the pretence that the leader is of the same level that they are asking, which is too often not the case. I guess my biggest point would be to have this as a way of preventing 'false advertising'. So people can make informed decisions when signing up for a group.

Sure, we'll still have those "I'm an alt of a Mythic 5/8 raider" people and with the Legiondaries gone, I hope that people will realise that asking the same item level as the drops you're going for isn't feasible anymore, but regardless I think that this simple change would do a lot of good.

"8/8 M leader,have 370+ ilvl and lv30 heart"
    A week before mythic starts

Deleted
    I hit 120 on my blood dk 2 days ago, made my own groups at 260, now cleared everything without any hiccups. Maybe you should make your own grps or join a guild.

I'm not opposed to this. I've seen this a handful of times.

One of my favorites was "must be geared to my standards" when that person barely met the minimum entry requirements.

When I asked, their response was "stfu! stfu right now!"

Quote Originally Posted by Safol View Post
    I hit 120 on my blood dk 2 days ago, made my own groups at 260, now cleared everything without any hiccups. Maybe you should make your own grps or join a guild.
    Completely missing the point, nice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluimerstand View Post
    As the title says. The reason for this being that too often, for raid groups especially, the group leaders asks for a (ridiculously) high item level while not having that themselves. Sure, you can optionally enter a minimum item level which you cannot set higher than your own. And that's a good thing. I personally prefer groups that have this, so I know the group leader isn't simply organising a run in order to be carried.

That in itself isn't an offence, of course. People choose to participate in such runs willingly. But this is often under the pretence that the leader is of the same level that they are asking, which is too often not the case. I guess my biggest point would be to have this as a way of preventing 'false advertising'. So people can make informed decisions when signing up for a group.

Sure, we'll still have those "I'm an alt of a Mythic 5/8 raider" people and with the Legiondaries gone, I hope that people will realise that asking the same item level as the drops you're going for isn't feasible anymore, but regardless I think that this simple change would do a lot of good.
    I saw a great deal of this in Wrath and Cata. People wanting like, heroic ICC 'gearscore' for normal ICC while not even having gear themselves on par with Trial/ICC dungeons.

Mind you, I'm sure it still happens, but it seemed especially bad (to me) then.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know it's not a direct answer for what you want, but if you have ELVUI, you can hover over someones character portrait and hold shift to show their iLv. There may very well be other addons that have a similar function.
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

I agree. Trap parties are another one that piss me off.

Where they ask for 330/340 for example but neglect to mention they are carrying someone in 280/290 gear....

I mean at least say you are carrying a low geared player.

these threads have been made time and time again, always the exact same thing, people complaining that group finder groups requiring higher gear level than what the content rewards, how they feel they are qualified to join the group anyways, then someone in the thread says "make your own group, problem solved".

This isn't going away. Complaining about it isn't going to go away. Complaining about it isn't going to make the groups go away either. People can ask stupidly high gear for premade group finder. If they fill a group, good on them. If they don't, they'll join a different group, or abandon their decision to run something altogether.

Make your own group or join a guild.

edit: If they are carrying someone, you aren't forced to stay with the group. you can always leave and find a different group.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattelot View Post
    I'm not opposed to this. I've seen this a handful of times.

One of my favorites was "must be geared to my standards" when that person barely met the minimum entry requirements.

When I asked, their response was "stfu! stfu right now!"
    Basically this lol.

Shame raiderio doesn't include that with their m+ score.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    I agree. Trap parties are another one that piss me off.

Where they ask for 330/340 for example but neglect to mention they are carrying someone in 280/290 gear....

I mean at least say you are carrying a low geared player.
    This is the one that gets me on my alt tank more than anything. 340+ group, sub-300 healer with a strength 2-hander.

Stahp.
    Remember: Words are not violence.
    Make your own groups!!!

Quote Originally Posted by World Peace View Post
    This is the one that gets me on my alt tank more than anything. 340+ group, sub-300 healer with a strength 2-hander.

Stahp.
    I mean I wouldn't mind if they said they were carrying a low geared friend then I'd know to look elsewhere but half the time they ask for 330 and neglect to mention it.

Hence the term "trap party". They piss me off to no extent because in FF14 half the time wasn't just the leaders friend looking for a carry. Was like 2 or 3 people including the leader.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    I mean I wouldn't mind if they said they were carrying a low geared friend then I'd know to look elsewhere but half the time they ask for 330 and neglect to mention it.

Hence the term "trap party". They piss me off to no extent because in FF14 half the time wasn't just the leaders friend looking for a carry. Was like 2 or 3 people including the leader.
    I'm on a vacation from ffxiv for a while. My shiro mansion is full of cobwebs.
    Remember: Words are not violence.
    Make your own groups!!!

Then people invite with their mains, and when you are ready to go switch to their alts. That wouldn't change anything.

As you already have said, I have no problem carrying the one who made the group. A reward for his effort.
    I start having problems when the leader is inviting other carries that maybe even pay him to get carried. That's a no-go for me.

I don't see a point to this. As stated previously make your own party if you find this to be such a detriment.

*Edit typo

Its only fair that if they can see yours going in that you can see theirs going in.

Quote Originally Posted by Rinaul View Post
    I don't see a point to this. As stated previously make your own party if you find this to be such a detriment.

*Edit typo
    We all get that. The point the OP is trying to make is that going into a group being made already (whatever your reason may be... tim constraint, perhaps?) and finding out that the person orchestrating it is wanting to be carried. This would save some people time before getting there and realizing the fact.

I only join groups which actually use ilvl req and don't just write it on title. You can't put higher ilvl there than members actually have. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Mind you, I'm sure it still happens, but it seemed especially bad (to me) then.
    I remember the Gearscore days, it's definitely not as bad as it was back then.

Quote Originally Posted by 3DTyrant View Post
    I know it's not a direct answer for what you want, but if you have ELVUI, you can hover over someones character portrait and hold shift to show their iLv. There may very well be other addons that have a similar function.
    Any way to see people's iLv is definitely a step up, I just wish it were a baseline feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Ssateneth View Post
    This isn't going away. Complaining about it isn't going to go away. Complaining about it isn't going to make the groups go away either. People can ask stupidly high gear for premade group finder. If they fill a group, good on them. If they don't, they'll join a different group, or abandon their decision to run something altogether.
    That's the thing, though. This isn't so much complaining as it is a suggestion towards a possible solution of what I see as a problem. And I think this would at least lessen the extent to which this happens. It's easy to say that people have a choice, and they do, but realistically people don't up and leave a group all that often. Which is why I think that starting at the group forming process is the smart way to go about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rinaul View Post
    Not participating in the practice myself won't stop others from doing so regardless. My suggestion might.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluimerstand View Post
    People choose to participate in such runs willingly. But this is often under the pretence that the leader is of the same level that they are asking, which is too often not the case. I guess my biggest point would be to have this as a way of preventing 'false advertising'. So people can make informed decisions when signing up for a group.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattelot View Post
    This would save some people time before getting there and realizing the fact.
    It is possible to check itemlevels as soon as you join the group. You can then leave within a minute if the leader isn't up to their own standards. No need to wait for everyone to come to the instance and run through it before realising that the leader is crappy geared and THEN, after killing all bosses, check the itemlevel.

Do it first, then leave if needed.