Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    It would be nice to know ahead of time if you're going to be carrying someone. The transparency should work both ways and would improve the game a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrodel View Post
    It is possible to check itemlevels as soon as you join the group. You can then leave within a minute if the leader isn't up to their own standards. No need to wait for everyone to come to the instance and run through it before realising that the leader is crappy geared and THEN, after killing all bosses, check the itemlevel.

Do it first, then leave if needed.
    The OP is suggesting a method to where we don't even have to think about it, which he's right, we shouldn't. I'm all for any methods that prevent players from directly wasting other's time. Call it a QoL change, if you wish.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattelot View Post
    The OP is suggesting a method to where we don't even have to think about it, which he's right, we shouldn't.
    That leads us back to the good old "make your own group" argument. The only way to get rid of this annoying behaviour is to not reward the jerks with participation. Sure, it will not ever stop everyone from doing it, but that way those that care will not have to think about it.

We all get that. The point the OP is trying to make is that going into a group being made already (whatever your reason may be... tim constraint, perhaps?) and finding out that the person orchestrating it is wanting to be carried. This would save some people time before getting there and realizing the fact.
    I don't see how one person would create such a waste of time unless they're a super under geared tank. I think the perception of the issue is bigger than the actual case.

That leads us back to the good old "make your own group" argument. The only way to get rid of this annoying behaviour is to not reward the jerks with participation. Sure, it will not ever stop everyone from doing it, but that way those that care will not have to think about it.
    And I already said that some people like joining in progress. They have that for a reason. Not everybody has the time to start their own group. Time-wise, for some, it's more efficient to join a group that's already being made. The OP is not saying to prevent low-geared people from making groups, just to know right away what they're getting into.

Quote Originally Posted by Rinaul View Post
    I don't see how one person would create such a waste of time unless they're a super under geared tank. I think the perception of the issue is bigger than the actual case.
    It doesn't always have to be just the raid leader. It does happen when the under-geared leader brings his under-geared friend. I've seen that a few times too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sluimerstand View Post
    As the title says. The reason for this being that too often, for raid groups especially, the group leaders asks for a (ridiculously) high item level while not having that themselves. Sure, you can optionally enter a minimum item level which you cannot set higher than your own. And that's a good thing. I personally prefer groups that have this, so I know the group leader isn't simply organising a run in order to be carried.

That in itself isn't an offence, of course. People choose to participate in such runs willingly. But this is often under the pretence that the leader is of the same level that they are asking, which is too often not the case. I guess my biggest point would be to have this as a way of preventing 'false advertising'. So people can make informed decisions when signing up for a group.

Sure, we'll still have those "I'm an alt of a Mythic 5/8 raider" people and with the Legiondaries gone, I hope that people will realise that asking the same item level as the drops you're going for isn't feasible anymore, but regardless I think that this simple change would do a lot of good.
    Haven't read the entire post, but what you want for group leaders is a thing already.
    Try it out yourself, if you are ilvl 330, you can't set requirements to 340.

What people are doing to get carried is, open the group with a friend as leader and after starting the search, the friend gives lead to you.

When the leader changes, the tool should stop the search IMO. That is how the system can not be abused.

Or the most easy way to not get into groups with a boosted leader is joining them, checking leader (and assistent) ilvl and if one (or more) of them seems like getting boosted, putting them on ignore and leave the group. You won't ever see their groups again.
    Or even easier: stick with that group and keep your drops for yourself.

Deleted
    Completely missing the point, nice.
    I get your point, I just think it's unecessary and stupid, it's my group, I invite whoever and restrict for whatever reason I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Safol View Post
    I get your point, I just think it's unecessary and stupid, it's my group, I invite whoever and restrict for whatever reason I want.
    Yes, it's your group and you are welcome to invite or deny any person you wish. The OP just doesn't want to get mixed up if your preference for invite turns out to be a complete waste of his time to which he could easily avoid with his suggestion.

Deleted
    Yes, it's your group and you are welcome to invite or deny any person you wish. The OP just doesn't want to get mixed up if your preference for invite turns out to be a complete waste of his time to which he could easily avoid with his suggestion.
    But I just showed him how irrelevant it is to look at leader ilevel, I tanked mythics at 260 without and complaints, wipes.

Deleted
    It is possible to check itemlevels as soon as you join the group.
    do you have a suggestion, other than elvui plz? could use it. thanks

It's been a complete waste of time and a pain in the rear since 2009. What's starting yet another thread on MMO-Champ after nearly a decade of this issue going to help solve? This problem even bleeds over into other games.

Furthermore, this problem is perpetuated by the primary bill payer for these game makers: The large swaths of unskilled players who think they should get to do what they want just because they bought the games. It's quite unlikely for them to go out of their way when the problem is relatively minor and easily solved by doing what MMOs are all about, being social and playing with friends or a guild.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danund81
    Just SAY IT.* "I'm right you're wrong and I know it because I have the power of a website's link."

But I just showed him how irrelevant it is to look at leader ilevel, I tanked mythics at 260 without and complaints, wipes.
    No you didn't tank Mythics at 260 when the minimum for at least doing it smoothly is 280-290 for any role. Not even cutting edge players were doing Mythics at 260.

You would have been absolutely shat on with any tankbuster related mechanic or a large group of mobs in dungeons such as Atal'Dazar or Freehold. You would require a group with perfect interrupts to avoid any big cast going off on to you.

So you were either carried by a decent group with a decent healer who could just keep all the 3 DPS up or you are flat out lying.

- - - Updated - - -

Feel free to. Just at least have some decency to mention you are carrying someone. Takes 10 seconds to add "carrying a friend/low geared". That way people can tell if it's a trap party.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2018-09-04 at 12:12 PM.

The group finder ui in general could stand to benefit from giving both hosts and guests more info. Can't see why either side would be against that.

Quote Originally Posted by Otimus View Post
    The group finder ui in general could stand to benefit from giving both hosts and guests more info. Can't see why either side would be against that.
    Because the people wanting the carry or their friends being carried would have mental shutdowns.

10+ Year Old Account
    As the title says. The reason for this being that too often, for raid groups especially, the group leaders asks for a (ridiculously) high item level while not having that themselves. Sure, you can optionally enter a minimum item level which you cannot set higher than your own. And that's a good thing. I personally prefer groups that have this, so I know the group leader isn't simply organising a run in order to be carried.

That in itself isn't an offence, of course. People choose to participate in such runs willingly. But this is often under the pretence that the leader is of the same level that they are asking, which is too often not the case. I guess my biggest point would be to have this as a way of preventing 'false advertising'. So people can make informed decisions when signing up for a group.

Sure, we'll still have those "I'm an alt of a Mythic 5/8 raider" people and with the Legiondaries gone, I hope that people will realise that asking the same item level as the drops you're going for isn't feasible anymore, but regardless I think that this simple change would do a lot of good.
    While it would be nice to do it a bit faster, you can always just inspect/armory the leader then drop group. Also, the leader can't set the "minimum ilvl" box to be higher than their own iirc, so if its "380+ link AoTC 8/8M leader" but the minimum ilvl box is empty, probably a low ilvl leader. And sometimes the leader isn't the one putting the group together. I've gotten into groups where random guild members of the leader were low, you'd have to inspect at that point, unless you want the group finder to show you everyones ilvl in the raid/group on mouse over, and that'd cause a whole slew of other problems.

Completely missing the point, nice.
    Completely missed the point, nice.

no.. you still missed his point.. its not about you its about the people who got invited and what they believed when joining...

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    No you didn't tank Mythics at 260 when the minimum for at least doing it smoothly is 280-290 for any role. Not even cutting edge players were doing Mythics at 260.

You would have been absolutely shat on with any tankbuster related mechanic or a large group of mobs in dungeons such as Atal'Dazar or Freehold. You would require a group with perfect interrupts to avoid any big cast going off on to you.

So you were either carried by a decent group with a decent healer who could just keep all the 3 DPS up or you are flat out lying.

- - - Updated - - -

Feel free to. Just at least have some decency to mention you are carrying someone. Takes 10 seconds to add "carrying a friend/low geared". That way people can tell if it's a trap party.
    Tldr: i wouldn't have been able to do that, so you were carried or are lying.

All this would literally do is prevent those people everyone tells to "make your own group and set ilvl requirements" from being able to make their own groups since if no one would pick them, no one will join them. I've been in the same situation OP and it sucks, but I don't believe it's as simple of a solution as you make it out to be.

10+ Year Old Account
    I never join groups stating ilvl in the title with no ilvl minimum set. Leader can't set ilvl minimum over their own ilvl.